• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

DualX

Honestly the only thing I'm really not looking forward to playing in the beta is Stockpile just because it seems to be just more of Neutral Flag or Neutral Bomb which I really don't find entertaining. Hopefully the implementation is better than how I picture it.

Popeck

Dax01 said:
Do you remember the control scheme for Green Thumb?

Sorry, but I didn't pay attention to that one too much. I don't even remember how it was in Halo 3. :p But there was a new configuration, Recon, which had the abilities on X, if I remember correctly.

Popeck said:
I really liked it. Headhunter was great, chaotic FFA action. If I remember correctly, almost every loadout on the normal playlists (Grab Bag and the FFA one) had an AR and a magnum. On headhunter, all of the armor abilities were available. On crazy king, armor lock wasn't. On Slayer Pro, you could choose from DMR, magnum and sprint or needle rifle, magnum and sprint. It felt great on Powerhouse. I liked Powerhouse more than Swordbase since the latter really promotes the use of jetpack. In headhunter the scoring areas moved from a floor to another pretty quickly and it could be crucial to be able to move up quickly. On the other hand, capture the flag was quite different, since the flag runner can't use the armor abilites.

Sadly we didn't have enough players for Invasion.

Hopefully that helps.

If I remember correctly, that was exactly the bumper jumper configuration.
Thanks. :)

I was hoping for a bit more variety on loadouts for standard gametypes, but it sounds like the mag are combo worked well.

I find of striking how different a game reach can become; from standard ctf with basic loadouts vs ctf with clowntown loadouts will be crazy as hell.

Blueblur1

Spasm said:
15owcq9.png
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19482746&postcount=9044
Blueblur1 said:

Popeck said:
I really liked it. Headhunter was great, chaotic FFA action. If I remember correctly, almost every loadout on the normal playlists (Grab Bag and the FFA one) had an AR and a magnum. On headhunter, all of the armor abilities were available. On crazy king, armor lock wasn't. On Slayer Pro, you could choose from DMR, magnum and sprint or needle rifle, magnum and sprint. It felt great on Powerhouse. I liked Powerhouse more than Swordbase since the latter really promotes the use of jetpack. In headhunter the scoring areas moved from a floor to another pretty quickly and it could be crucial to be able to move up quickly. On the other hand, capture the flag was quite different, since the flag runner can't use the armor abilites.
So no DMR starts for the gametypes in Grab Bag? Is Slayer Pro in the Arena?

broony

i keep forgetting about features. After reading and watching invasion stuff the last few days the latest articles reminded me about all the cool armour upgrades and commendation systems they are introducing. This is a big game when you step back and the beta seems fairly huge as well.

Popeck

electricpirate said:
Thanks. :)

I was hoping for a bit more variety on loadouts for standard gametypes, but it sounds like the mag are combo worked well.

Yeah, I was pretty pleased with the AR + Magnum loadout. It was nice headshotting people with the pistol after throwing a grenade at their feet. I'm not ready say if the balance is awesomely perfect, but it felt good. Needle rifle was awesome, especially for shooting those flying with a jetpack, the traditional needler was too. While using jetpack myself I loved to get the plasma launcher on Swordbase and just rain hell on the people below.

Dax01 said:
So no DMR starts for the gametypes in Grab Bag? Is Slayer Pro in the Arena?

Slayer Pro was in the ordinary FFA playlist. The new voting system worked really well, by the way.

Louis Wu said:
Summary of what I've seen so far:

http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=29501
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=29502

Thanks to you guys for a bunch of those links. :)

<3

chapel

Banned
Popeck said:
If I remember correctly, that was exactly the bumper jumper configuration. Either that or switch RB/LB. There was a configuration that had the armor abilities on X, but yes, that could get pretty nasty. If you use camo or armor lock it wouldn't necessarily interfere too much.
They better not take my melee off of a bumper. I am sorry, in H:CE, H2, and H3 I used Greenthumb (I believe it was that, where melee was on the right thumbstick) until I tried bumper jumper which was an even better change imo. I will be pissed if I don't have melee and jump on the bumpers, although I understand that AA are important, not enough to remove my melee speed and aim. Hence why I think jump should at the very least also control the jet pack double jump style. That would make it so you didn't lose your aim while jetpacking.

waitaminute...

Reading the ars article, the mention Scarab Tanks.

After opening the second set of doors, the Elites have to steal a power core and walk it to an extraction point to win. At this point in the round there will be Scorpions and Scarab tanks fighting; there is a Warthog available, as well as Wraiths, and all the loadouts are available. The last push, with the Elite running the power core to safety, can be incredibly chaotic, and team play is essential to win. The round ends either when time runs out or the Elites steal the power core, and then roles are reversed.
WTF? Is this guy just ignorant of the names? Does Wraith mean Ghost? Clarification, please.

squidhands said:
waitaminute...

Reading the ars article, the mention Scarab Tanks.

WTF? Is this guy just ignorant of the names? Does Wraith mean Ghost? Clarification, please.
Typo me thinks. The rest o the article is really solid though.

chapel

Banned
squidhands said:
I have faith in the sultry words of ManCannon. I imagine ars and the rest of the journalists were more or less playing custom games, swapping sides each time.
Yeah probably.

controlsbungie.jpg

These are the default controls. Now they said that you wont have to press to talk anymore, I wonder if the selection like they have in the above picture, Team or Open mic/regroup, is like a toggle or something. What about night vision?

Whats this about not being able to one hit melee from behind if the dudes shield is full? Hasn't the instant kill from behind been a staple of the halo series? I'd also like to add that the DMR is sexy. I wonder what kind of auto aim(if any) will work

Gui_PT

chapel said:
Yeah probably.

http://static.arstechnica.com/Gaming/controlsbungie.jpg[IMG]
These are the default controls. Now they said that you wont have to press to talk anymore, I wonder if the selection like they have in the above picture, Team or Open mic/regroup, is like a toggle or something. What about night vision?[/QUOTE]

Night Vision probably work just like in ODST

What is regroup for?

GhaleonEB

chapel said:
Yeah probably.

controlsbungie.jpg

These are the default controls. Now they said that you wont have to press to talk anymore, I wonder if the selection like they have in the above picture, Team or Open mic/regroup, is like a toggle or something. What about night vision?
Poor guy's only got 3 cR to his name. :(
Gui_PT said:
Night Vision probably work just like in ODST

What is regroup for?
I'm wondering if that's for Campaign, to pull the rest of the squad together.

Blueblur1

Kimosabae said:
I know this is going to piss some people off but... that's fucking stupid.
Well, no one is going to be paying attention to this thread anymore so I doubt you'll illicit and strong negative response. If you don't like it then, oh well. *shrug*

-Yeti said:
So, thread. I guess this is goodbye. :(
Well, the old girl will always be around. I'm going to stay subscribed to this one because there are a ton of hilarious images to be gleaned from it (check around pages 167). :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Best quote of the day from Kotaku talking about Headhunter:
"One of our group was shot trying to smuggle nine [skulls] back to a collection point and it looked like a gumball machine exploded."

:lol :lol :lol

Kimosabae

Banned
Just seems like an opportunity to add some new layers of strategy to the series: This player doesn't see me. Given the situation, do I go for an assassination, or engage him another way?

It's decision like this that remind me why I haven't liked a game in this series since the first.

Oozer3993

Kimosabae said:
I know this is going to piss some people off but... that's fucking stupid.

Why? You don't have to use it. It's purely a taunting mechanism. A press of the melee button when facing an opponent's back will still yield the same old 1-hit kill it always has. Hold the button to perform an "Execution" to really rub it into your opponent's face.

Kimosabae said:
Just seems like an opportunity to add some new layers of strategy to the series: This player doesn't see me. Given the situation, do I go for an assassination, or engage him another way?

It's decision like this that remind me why I haven't liked a game in this series since the first.

Wait what, first of all I dont really agree with the layer of strategy thing, its pretty much the same as a normal assassination.

But why would more layers of strategy be a bad thing?

p.s. New thread up might be better to take the discussion there.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
WickedLaharl said:
i'm really impressed with how far bungie how come with their animation. while watching the GT footage that is what stood out the most to me.

while for the most part i agree, i do hope the "ice skating" is improved. in one of the vidocs you see a spartan (or was it an elite) use the grav. hammer then immediately skate around in that same still animation for a split second. ice skating is also clearly seen any time the armor lock AA is used. after disengaging it, players can move around with the animation not matching their motion.

a nitpick, but its pretty jarring IMO and something that i havent really seen mentioned but i'd LOVE to see fixed.

nofi

metareferential said:
Why is it that everytime we get a "journalist" playing Halo before everybody else it turns out to be a Halo skeptical or someone who doesn't even like shooters? xD

The 1UP preview is the only one worth reading; the sixthaxis one and eurogamer were downright useless. And also poorly written, from time to time.

Rubbish. Our guy's been playing Halo since day one.

i love how they give everything its proper shine in Halo3 and reach. More games should pay attention to this.
Hoping for some good aliassing and this game will be a real looker.

DualX

Kimosabae said:
Given the situation, do I go for an assassination, or engage him another way?
These are no different than the choices you make in Gears of War's multiplayer when chainsawing someone. And it's not like you have to do this anyway, if you honestly don't like it then keep doing your normal insta-kill melee's from the back. No one said you had to do these.

Top Bottom