• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Once more into the games-journalism-really-sucks-at-talking-about-Halo breach, I guess.

When someone finds an article by someone who has actually played Halo multiplayer since the week Halo 3 launched, lemme know.

For the new page:
Devin Olsen said:
Halo: Reach Beta - Hands On (IGN)

PTApY.jpg

it says these images were added yesterday, I hadn't seen them before... I apologize if they are in fact old.

Edit: Ummm what?
"Through matchmaking, custom games or system link, you'll have four multiplayer maps to explore when the beta launches."

Is IGN mad or is this for real?
"There are two bright spots in the health-and-wellness realm. First, your shields are still regenerative and they're a bit heartier against melee attacks than in Halo 3. A smack from behind will still net a kill so long as your target's shields are down."

So does that mean simply punching someone in the back will not kill them unless their shields are down...? I know Bungie has been stressing the exact opposite for the past month but...

EGConsidermymindblown.jpg

"The most dramatic change is that the B button no longer controls melee attacks. It switches between grenades now. The left bumper now controls your armor abilities and the right bumper melees."

Shake Appeal said:
Once more into the games-journalism-really-sucks-at-talking-about-Halo breach, I guess.

When someone finds an article by someone who has actually played Halo multiplayer since the week Halo 3 launched, lemme know.

Pretty much this. *sigh*

Falagard

While you're getting used to the big changes in Halo: Reach, you'll also want to pay close attention to the controller layout diagram in the options menu. Think you know how to play Halo? Well, not anymore. The most dramatic change is that the B button no longer controls melee attacks. It switches between grenades now. The left bumper now controls your armor abilities and the right bumper melees.

Awesome :-D

A smack from behind will still net a kill so long as your target's shields are down.

I don't believe this. They're liars.

Also, first Splaser screenshot:

halo-reach-20100420045441397.jpg

The eurogamer one is filled with silly mistakes.

And seriously, perks? Wtf.

IGN too has its moments :lol 4vs4 invasion, melee from behind only popping shields, etc.

Blueblur1

Remember all those items scattered around the multiplayer maps in past Halo games? Those are gone. In their place, you'll have access to one of four loadouts at the beginning of each multiplayer round, and their availability changes depending on which map/mode you're playing.
Oh, IGN. smh

Falagard said:
Awesome :-D

I don't believe this. They're liars.

Also, first Splaser screenshot:

:lol at the Elite in the top right corner, also the Eurogamer article I thought sucked, but the IGN was pretty good. The new control scheme sounds interesting, I'll have to get used to it, the melee is now like battlefield which I like.

Blueblur1 said:
Oh, IGN. smh

I believe they were only talking about equipment there.

Blueblur1

IGN said:
One of my favorite modes in the beta is Headhunter, a chaotic mix of Oddball and Capture the Flag. It works like this. Each time you kill an enemy player, a flaming skull drops out of his head, just like in the Bible.
:lol

Oh, hey, did we know this about how the plasma pistol has been changed?

"The plasma pistol doesn't track, but the charged shot is an EMP burst that you can fire between two guys and it'll knock their shields down."

Edit: and the way vehicle damage works has changed. This explains why the guy's health wasn't going down when the Warthog was pounding on the Wraith in the TTL video analysis.

"The biggest change is the addition of a progressive damage system to vehicles. As your vehicle is getting hit, it's taking damage. In Halo 3 we linked that to your health, so your vehicle could be completely destroyed -- you could be flying around in a Banshee that had no wings, just a shell -- but as long as you had health you were fine. Now, your vehicle will hit a certain spot where it'll catch on fire and you'll start hearing certain sounds that mean it's time to get out."

Spasm

Man, I'm really starting to worry about my beloved Bumper Jumper. I have a hard time going back and forth between Halo 2 and Halo 3 cause no BJ in 2. I really don't want to have similar problems jumping between 3 and Reach.

Popeck

Our article is in Finnish, but here's an important picture: FileBro.

I'm pretty pumped for the public beta. The armor abilities felt good and none of the felt overpowered, not even armor lock. It was fun to lock yourself just when someone started shooting at you, but more often than not I locked myself too late. The invulnerability isn't effective immediately after pressing the button. However, I think the armor lock can be really useful when used as a part of a team. For example, I was getting donged, so I activated the armor lock. The enemy was waiting for the lock to deactivate, but my teammate came in to the building and killed him. We took the flag and ran away smiling.

Oh, and the Mongoose is in the beta. We played Race on Boneyard. The new Mongoose really looks massive compared to the Halo 3 one.

DualX

Hydranockz said:
HaloGaf Reach Beta Montage CONFIRMED! :p
lol i dun need bungie pro to record my own material. :D

Not really sure if Bladed would be up for another one anyhow. I'd imagine we would be too into playing the game more than anything else. I, on the other hand, will be doing some recording in real-time including the very first match I play. Hope to get some interesting reactions from other players and whatnot.

Chinner said:
frankie said i could have a f&f invite.
why r u so special?

Shake Appeal said:
Oh, hey, did we know this about how the plasma pistol has been changed?

Edit: and the way vehicle damage works has changed. This explains why the guy's health wasn't going down when the Warthog was pounding on the Wraith in the TTL video analysis.
=o

And I'm also liking that RB is now melee, glad I never got used to Boxer or any of those other control schemes.

nilam01

Banned
Thagomizer said:
Really like this shot

halo-reach-20100420045503038.jpg

Wow what's wrong with the shadows? There is no selfshadows either. Unlike this screen right here

ss_preview_2.jpg.jpg

The IQ is pretty inconsistent, dissapointed by all the bullshots by the way, I want some direct captures.

S1kkZ

Shake Appeal said:
It's awesome how big the Elites are now. They look like genuine aliens for the first time since... CE?
if the elites are now that big, how big do you think the hunters will be?

Mastperf

Shake Appeal said:
It's awesome how big the Elites are now. They look like genuine aliens for the first time since... CE?

I was thinking the same thing. This might be their way of getting you to fear them again. They need to return to their former glory after being pussified in the later games.

Brainboy

Shake Appeal said:

I agree completely. Can't wait to face several of them at once in campaign...

Popeck said:
Oh, and the Mongoose is in the beta. We played Race on Boneyard. The new Mongoose really looks massive compared to the Halo 3 one.

I'm guessing that they either increased the size of all the vehicles to accommodate for the larger Elites (a massive Elite would look rather out of place on a tiny Mongoose, for instance), or it's just a side-effect of making the Spartans smaller.

Or perhaps it's a little bit of both. All the sizes are relative, after all. :)

Why is it that everytime we get a "journalist" playing Halo before everybody else it turns out to be a Halo skeptical or someone who doesn't even like shooters? xD

The 1UP preview is the only one worth reading; the sixthaxis one and eurogamer were downright useless. And also poorly written, from time to time.

Kapura

Banned
I was gonna ask for copy/paste of the articles but if they're as erroneous as you are all saying, maybe I can skip reading them. Is there anything new, or is it all first impressions of stuff already revealed?

Popeck

Oh, the radar now shows if the enemy is above or below you. If he is below, the dot is darker. If he is above, the bright dot has a little dark shadow.

EDIT: Aaaand, you can fly free with the camera on theater.

SUPER-EDIT: Also, saw some new medals: Headcase (headshot/kill a sprinting opponent), First Strike (score the first kill), Opportunitist (kill an enemy while he is reloading).

Popeck said:
Oh, the radar now shows if the enemy is above or below you. If he is below, the dot is darker. If he is above, the bright dot has a little dark shadow.

EDIT: Aaaand, you can fly free with the camera on theater.
Mind a couple o questions?

Any word on the loadouts available in headhunter or invasion?

What was your gut reaction to everything?

Kapura said:
I was gonna ask for copy/paste of the articles but if they're as erroneous as you are all saying, maybe I can skip reading them. Is there anything new, or is it all first impressions of stuff already revealed?
The stuff about health pack timers, plasma pistol not tracking, and vehicle damage were new to me (posted above).

But really, it's unfair to expect games "journalists" to pick up on details or nuances we would, especially when we've been getting so much information steadily for months now.

DualX said:
Not really sure if Bladed would be up for another one anyhow. I'd imagine we would be too into playing the game more than anything else. I, on the other hand, will be doing some recording in real-time including the very first match I play. Hope to get some interesting reactions from other players and whatnot.

No chance of a Reach montage while the BETA is still running, thats for sure! Maybe if people accumulate enough clips during the BETA and can get them to me after its ended. Just have to wait and see I guess.

1up article is the only one worth reading (of the four I've read so far) and is pretty much the only one with anything new.

chess

Brainboy said:
I agree completely. Can't wait to face several of them at once in campaign...

I'm guessing that they either increased the size of all the vehicles to accommodate for the larger Elites (a massive Elite would look rather out of place on a tiny Mongoose, for instance), or it's just a side-effect of making the Spartans smaller.

Or perhaps it's a little bit of both. All the sizes are relative, after all. :)

That and the spartans are smaller than 117 so that makes sense as well.

Kapura

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
The stuff about health pack timers, plasma pistol not tracking, and vehicle damage were new to me (posted above).

But really, it's unfair to expect games "journalists" to pick up on details or nuances we would, especially when we've been getting so much information steadily for months now.
I can't imagine that the plasma pistol won't track. I'll need Bungie to confirm/deny THAT.

Falagard

Invasion's staged-based progression can also create lulls. Spartans will quickly become bored, say, if the Elites are stuck on the first tier due to poor planning and execution. Compared to the finely crafted and intimate experience of Generator Defense, Invasion is simply disappointing. Hopefully, Bungie can make use of the beta to make significant tweaks to this game type for the final version of Reach.

Maybe for a bunch of crappy no-skill journalists.

So much content. Reading it all now. Not looking forward to the IGN article from what you guys have pointed out.

Shake Appeal said:
Ideally, I think:

RT - Fire
LT - Throw Grenade
RB - Armour Ability
LB - Jump

X - Reload/Grab Weapons or Flags
Y - Switch Weapons
B - Melee
A - Switch Grenades

I can see sprint or jetpack becoming a pain if armour ability was on the face buttons.
For my my preferred button layout, Green Thumb, here's what I'd like to see:
LB - Armor Ability
RB - Reload and stuff
X - Switch grenades
A - Jump
B - Zoom

Popeck

electricpirate said:
Mind a couple o questions?

Any word on the loadouts available in headhunter or invasion?

What was your gut reaction to everything?

I really liked it. Headhunter was great, chaotic FFA action. If I remember correctly, almost every loadout on the normal playlists (Grab Bag and the FFA one) had an AR and a magnum. On headhunter, all of the armor abilities were available. On crazy king, armor lock wasn't. On Slayer Pro, you could choose from DMR, magnum and sprint or needle rifle, magnum and sprint. It felt great on Powerhouse. I liked Powerhouse more than Swordbase since the latter really promotes the use of jetpack. In headhunter the scoring areas moved from a floor to another pretty quickly and it could be crucial to be able to move up quickly. On the other hand, capture the flag was quite different, since the flag runner can't use the armor abilites.

Sadly we didn't have enough players for Invasion.

Hopefully that helps.

Shake Appeal said:
Ideally, I think:

RT - Fire
LT - Throw Grenade
RB - Armour Ability
LB - Jump

X - Reload/Grab Weapons or Flags
Y - Switch Weapons
B - Melee
A - Switch Grenades

I can see sprint or jetpack becoming a pain if armour ability was on the face buttons.

If I remember correctly, that was exactly the bumper jumper configuration. Either that or switch RB/LB. There was a configuration that had the armor abilities on X, but yes, that could get pretty nasty. If you use camo or armor lock it wouldn't necessarily interfere too much.

Gui_PT

That Eurogamer article was ridiculously bad

Nothing REALLY new in any of the articles, but it's still a good read

Thanks for the links, guys

The 1UP article was great. I'm digging on the new vehicle damage and it not being tied to your health. Also like how the Plasma Pistol seems like a more viable weapon now compared to H3, even if the shots don't track.

And I know one person in particular who will be very happy to hear that the 'goose is in the beta.

EDIT: the Joystiq pictures of Boneyard are incredible to say the least. Loving the skybox.

GhaleonEB

Popeck said:
If I remember correctly, that was exactly the bumper jumper configuration. Either that or switch RB/LB. There was a configuration that had the armor abilities on X, but yes, that could get pretty nasty. If you use camo or armor lock it wouldn't necessarily interfere too much.
Do you remember the control scheme for Green Thumb?

Top Bottom