• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
broony said:
Have the IGN impressions been posted yet?:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1085086p1.html

Edit**

LB for AAs

It's a short, uninformative article about Headhunter. They say it's one of four game modes available in the beta. Theres four maps but there's more than four gamemodes right?

Yeah, it was already posted and everyone had a good laugh about the "four gamemodes".

IGN has been pretty awful with its Reach coverage.

Yes, it seems like an article from three months ago at least.

Are they planning to cover one gamemode at a time in various articles?

When they finally get to Invasion Slayer, we'll be playing Halo 4 :lol

Apath

Not a Jellyfish said:
Yeah, it was already posted and everyone had a good laugh about the "four gamemodes".

IGN has been pretty awful with it's Reach coverage.
Less than two weeks left until the Beta! Between this and the SC2 beta I actually won't be needing any retail releases for quite a while :D

JMizzlin

Do we have a rough time the Beta will be up yet (preferably Bungie-time, as I have my Australia-to-Bungie land time conversion system set-up)?

I need to plan when to head to my friends place to use his download quota for the beta, as it is much larger than mine.

broony

ManCannon said:
No, I was referring to Invasion (proper) - in the BETA. In the BETA you don't switch sides - so yeah, that means 6 people magically end up on Elite/Offense, 6 end up on Spartan/Defense.

The game ends if the Elites get the core back to the ship or if the Spartan's shut 'em down at any point along the way. You then return to lobby, rinse and repeat. Weird? Yeah, a bit. It's not called a BETA for nothin. :)

Invasion Slayer doesn't have have the same notion of "rounds" or an offense/defense component.

So in the GTTV episode they kind of make an emphasis that on Boneyard it will be the Elites attacking and the spartans defending. Do you lot think then that other Invasion maps will see Spartans as attackers and Elites as defenders. Has it been said it will always be Elites on offence?

For example an attack on a covenant cruiser?
Stage one enter the drop ship bay by pelican and fight out.
Stage two fight through the halls and vehicle bays of the crusier.
Stage 3 get access to the command deck and hit self destruct then escape to waiting pelicans and fly off in a blaze of glory into space. Spunk.

How many Invasions maps do you think we will see and I would suspect they take a lot more rersource to build and test than your normal MP map?

broony said:
For example an attack on a covenant cruiser?
Stage one enter the drop ship bay by pelican and fight out.
Stage two fight through the halls and vehicle bays of the crusier.
Stage 3 get access to the command deck and hit self destruct then excape to waiting pelicans and fly off in a blaze of glory into space. Spunk.

Oh God.

That is insane. Come on, start spamming urk, mancannon and luke with PM's.

DO IT. :lol

EDIT: just a slight correction: instead of activating self-destruct, Spartans must place a fenris/havok nuclear warhead.

broony

It'll be far too late now, but DLC theories are gud.

Hopefully there will be stuff like this though. I'd guess at there being four invasion maps, hopefully two with Elites attacking and two with Spartans.

broony said:
It'll be far too late now, but DLC theories are gud.

Hopefully there will be stuff like this though. I'd guess at there being four invasion maps, hopefully two with Elites attacking and two with Spartans.

For the beta it is certainly late, but the game ships this fall.

The map you described will be the perfect Halo take on BF's Titan mode.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
metareferential said:
Oh God.

That is insane. Come on, start spamming urk, mancannon and luke with PM's.

DO IT. :lol

EDIT: just a slight correction: instead of activating self-destruct, Spartans must place a fenris/havok nuclear warhead.

Really this needs to happen now, would be incredibly fun. :D

broony

metareferential said:

To do that though they would have to carry it in through the map. I guess that could kind of work though as it's just the reverse of carrying the core out. As sson as the nuke is armed the game is effectively over but if the Spartans can escape before it goes off they get extra bungie monies to spend on spartan socks.

Edit**

Although I think that the maps in reach will pull from it's campaign mode other scenarios could be:
Spartan offence
Factory assault from Ghosts Of Onyx
Assault on the control room from Halo
The beach landing to find the silent cartographer from halo.

Elite Offence
Attack on Mombassa - Secure Virgil (Compacted version of ODST.
Attack on UNSC base - Crows nest Halo 3.

broony said:
To do that though they would have to carry it in through the map. I guess that could kind of work though as it's just the reverse of carrying the core out. As sson as the nuke is armed the game is effectively over but if the Spartans can escape before it goes off they get extra bungie monies to spend on spartan socks.

Yeah, I was adapting your suggestion to the actual mechanic of (what we know about) Invasion.

It would be better having the bomb already on the cruiser/carrier, so that in phase1 spartans gain access to where the bomb is stored, in phase 2 the take it and carry it away and in phase 3 they must place it and escape.

Kind of elaborate, but I think it could work. And I think Bungie already knows it. xD

Chinner said:
frankie said i could have a f&f invite.

boy, that frankie sure is a dream hunk.
What did you ask him or something?:lol Congrats man.
Trasher said:
Blood was wondering if he could get a F&F invite for this picture he took of himself:

Blood.png

He also made this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrANMLzM6aY
What the fuck.:lol :lol
ManCannon said:
No, I was referring to Invasion (proper) - in the BETA. In the BETA you don't switch sides - so yeah, that means 6 people magically end up on Elite/Offense, 6 end up on Spartan/Defense.

The game ends if the Elites get the core back to the ship or if the Spartan's shut 'em down at any point along the way. You then return to lobby, rinse and repeat. Weird? Yeah, a bit. It's not called a BETA for nothin. :)

Invasion Slayer doesn't have have the same notion of "rounds" or an offense/defense component.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification, ManCannon. So like Bad Company 2, except in replace of the lives on the attackers there's a time limit.

ManCannon said:
Bonus prizes for a VIDOC style behind-the-scenes documentary that chronicles the creation of this masterpiece!
There must be Lederhosen involved.

GhaleonEB said:
My current attempt at describing invasion. I should be able to clean it up tomorrow after the embargo, before posting the thread, but any corrections or suggestions now are welcome. I'm hoping to minimize my early morning editing. :)

Invasion | Players: 6v6 | A multistage, Elites vs. Spartans objective gametype, set elusively on Boneyard in the Beta. The objective is for the attacking Elites to capture a Data Core.
  • Each team is formed of three pairs of fire teams, with Elites attacking and Spartans defending. Players can choose to spawn by their fire team partner, if they are away from the opposing team.
  • The game takes place over three distinct phases, with new Load Outs, vehicles and sections of the map unlocking at each phase.
  • Phase 1: Attackers try to unlock the Core location by capturing a set of territories.
  • Phase 2: Attackers must steal the Data Core.
  • Phase 3: Attackers transport the Data Core to a Phantom for extraction.
  • Each Phase lasts four minutes; if the objective is not completed on time, the game ends. Completing a phase extends the game into the next.
  • In the Beta, a game of Invasion is one-sided, to increase matchmaking churn.

Invasion Slayer | Players: 6v6 | A Slayer-focused Invasion variant, also Elites vs. Spartans set on Boneyard.
  • Scoring is based on kills, first team to 100 kills wins.
  • Similar to Invasion, the game evolves in Phases, unlocking Load Outs and vehicles at each: Phase 2 begins when a team hits 25 kills, Phase 3 when 50 kills are reached.
  • Roaming reinforcement territories move around the map, and can be captured to air-drop in additional supplies (which drop after a countdown and can be taken by either team). The air drops get better from Phase to Phase.
Did you mean exclusively? Everything else sounds good, although my only suggestion would be to reword this portion:

• Each team is formed of three pairs of fire teams, with Elites attacking and Spartans defending.
  • Players can choose to either spawn next to their fire team partner if they are away from the opposing team, or at a predetermined spawn zone.
Something like that maybe. Looking forward to seeing your massive post (no innuendo).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Minor squibble Ghaleon, the Core is stored in the Vault, which is unlocked by capturing the territories from Phase 1 in Invasion. Might be worthwhile to note the name of the Core's location as it's used in-game.

Phase 1: Attackers try to unlock the Vault by capturing a set of territories.
Phase 2: Attackers must steal the Data Core from the Vault.

Maybe like the above? Just use what you like, I suppose. =)

GhaleonEB said:
Invasion | Players: 6v6 | A multistage, Elites vs. Spartans objective gametype, set exclusively on Boneyard in the Beta. The objective is for the attacking Elites to capture a Data Core.
  • Both teams are formed of three fireteams of two players each, with Elites attacking and Spartans defending. Players can choose to spawn by their fireteam partner, provided their partner is in safety, or at predetermined spawn points around the map.
  • The game takes place over three distinct phases, with new Loadouts, vehicles and sections of the map unlocking at each phase.
  • Phase 1: Attackers try to unlock the Core location by capturing a set of territories.
  • Phase 2: Attackers must steal the Data Core.
  • Phase 3: Attackers transport the Data Core to a Phantom for extraction.
  • Each phase lasts four minutes; if the objective is not completed on time, the game ends. Completing a phase extends the game into the next.
  • In the Beta, a game of Invasion is one-sided, to increase matchmaking churn.

Invasion Slayer | Players: 6v6 | A Slayer-focused Invasion variant, also Elites vs. Spartans set on Boneyard.
  • Scoring is based on kills; first team to 100 kills wins.
  • Similar to Invasion, the game evolves in Phases, unlocking Loadouts and vehicles at each: Phase 2 begins when a team hits 25 kills, Phase 3 when 50 kills are reached.
  • Roaming reinforcement territories move around the map, and can be captured to drop in additional supplies (which drop after a countdown and can be taken by either team). The air drops get better from Phase to Phase.
Here, I made some (bolded) changes for you, English nerd that I am. Your sentence about "pairs" of fireteams didn't quite say what you wanted it to, and the Bungie style manual (if they have one) would suggest 'Loadout' is a capitalized compound word, while most regular ol' style manuals have fireteam as a compound word, probably to minimize confusion since the word is so often qualified. But that's neither here nor there.

Dirtbag said:
touchdown

Those avatars were good, congrats!

Lunchbox, I cant believe your not willing to change your avatar, thats totally worth it. I would have thought you would be getting a F+F invite anyway?

As for the IGN article - there are only 4 overall modes right?
- Invasion
- The Arena
- Normal playlists.
- Customs (according to the screenshots, I guess this will be removed for the public beta).

broony

bobs99 ... said:
As for the IGN article - there are only 4 overall modes right?
- Invasion
- The Arena
- Normal playlists.
- Customs (according to the screenshots, I guess this will be removed for te public beta).

The way I read it IGN are saying there will be four gamemodes, headhunter, Invasion, Genrator Defence and Stockpile, which seems to be bollocks as there are all the old favourites and maybe new stuff too.

big ander

Mr. Lemming said:
I wonder how you score Q points in Calvinball. And how that gets interpreted into a TrueSkill ranking.
That's the beauty of it. You win by doing whatever the hell you want.
Chinner said:
anyone wanna see a picture of frankie when he used to be a weight lifter?
An animated .gif would be better.

Reading that (awful) IGN article I noticed it says LB for Armor Abilities, which kinda has me wondering what my control scheme is going to look like. I doubt I'll be using default if its anything close to Halo's past (A - Jump, B - Melee and so on). Honestly, I think I'd rather have my Bumper Jumper layout with AA mapped to A and sacrifice my ability to aim while using them (don't think I'll be using Jetpacks, the only one where aiming seems to be an issue, that often anyway).

As far as I can recall there's those, but also all the old slayer, team slayer, CTF, etc., as well as a returning Three Plots and a rejigged Juggernaut?

broony

I'm Guessing

A- Jump
B - Melee
X - Reload / Pick up flag / Weapon - When dead - Choose Loadout
Y - Switch Weapons

LT - Grenade
LB - AA
RT - Fire
RB - Select Grenade

Dpad - Select Spawn

GhaleonEB

broony said:
The way I read it IGN are saying there will be four gamemodes, headhunter, Invasion, Genrator Defence and Stockpile, which seems to be bollocks as there are all the old favourites and maybe new stuff too.
I think they meant to say, four new game modes.

Thanks for the wording suggestions, I cleaned it up a bit. I alternated between Load Outs and Loadouts a few times in the post, which is the kind of thing that drives me nuts when others do it, so I'm glad that got fixed ahead of time.:lol

Shake Appeal said:
As far as I can recall there's those, but also all the old slayer, team slayer, CTF, etc., as well as a returning Three Plots and a rejigged Juggernaut?
I've heard Slayer (Team, Pro, Covies), CTF, King of the Hill, Three Plots, Territories and Oddball specifically mentioned as being in the Beta. In the podcast Bungie's mentioned Juggernaut and Assault, but I don't know if they're in the Beta or not.

*crawls back in bed for an hour*

broony said:
I'm Guessing

A- Jump
B - Melee
X - Reload / Pick up flag / Weapon - When dead - Choose Loadout
Y - Switch Weapons

LT - Grenade
LB - AA
RT - Fire
RB - Select Grenade

Dpad - Select Spawn

If thats default I'd gladly switch A for LB and B for RB. I just gotta have jump and melee free from my thumbs. AA's being on A would be less than ideal but not a problem for things like evade, sprint, armour lock, active camo.

BladedExpert said:
don't think I'll be using Jetpacks, the only one where aiming seems to be an issue, that often anyway
I've had this on my mind for a few weeks, kind of weighing the benefits (on what we know without having tried them ourselves) of the AAs against each other, with the jet pack (or invis) often coming out the poorest. It just seems to make you too exposed, especially in our (most likely) DMR-filled world of customs.
Obviously not deciding without using them all, and jetpack will probably be the first I go for just for it's jet..pack..ness, but imaging/planning the future I'd see Sprint/AL being my mains.

Hydranockz, is your interview not at 3pm? An hour after Eurogamer's article should go live.

Ideally, I think:

RT - Fire
LT - Throw Grenade
RB - Armour Ability
LB - Jump

X - Reload/Grab Weapons or Flags
Y - Switch Weapons
B - Melee
A - Switch Grenades

I can see sprint or jetpack becoming a pain if armour ability was on the face buttons.

Shake Appeal said:
Ideally, I think:

RT - Fire
LT - Throw Grenade
RB - Armour Ability
LB - Jump

Y - Switch Weapons
B - Melee
A - Switch Grenades

I can see sprint or jetpack becoming a pain if armour ability was on the face buttons.

I remember reading some preview that specifically pointed to this layout.

And it makes perfect sense. Equipments are gone, so X is free. AA here would be crazy, so up to the bumper.

Personally I'll switch A/LB.

Shake Appeal said:
Ideally, I think:

RT - Fire
LT - Throw Grenade
RB - Armour Ability
LB - Jump

Y - Switch Weapons
B - Melee
A - Switch Grenades

Perhaps. What's your mobility like when sprinting? Can you still turn? You certainly can't aim. Jetpack would be useless with a face button though, for sure. I just really like melee on RB. Playing Halo 2 I missed so many beatdowns just because I'm used to being able to aim while I press the button. Damn you awesome Armour Abilities!

taylor910

I have a question on invasion slayer-

When a team gets to the 25 (or 50) and the next phase starts, does the killcount start over? So if you lose 25 to 10, are you still set back 15 kills in the next phase?

Zeouterlimits said:
I've had this on my mind for a few weeks, kind of weighing the benefits (on what we know without having tried them ourselves) of the AAs against each other, with the jet pack (or invis) often coming out the poorest. It just seems to make you too exposed, especially in our (most likely) DMR-filled world of customs.
Obviously not deciding without using them all, and jetpack will probably be the first I go for just for it's jet..pack..ness, but imaging/planning the future I'd see Sprint/AL being my mains.

Hydranockz, is your interview not at 3pm? An hour after Eurogamer's article should go live.
I'm writing my cv... and then need to print it somewhere. It's at half 3 ish. I should be grand.... with my oodles of enthusiasm.... right? hahaha

Jetpack will probably ascend a floor or two. I can imagine a few window entrances to flag spawns getting utilized by the daring jetpackers. Camo would be effective in groups of two or more I'd say :p

chapel

Banned
Has anyone considered that the Jetpack AA could be controlled by holding jump? It would be a simple way to implement it as well as keep it consistent with the lexicon of control schemes. I use bumper jumper, so having it be apart of the jump mechanic would be nice. As well it just would be odd to have to control jump and the jet pack separately, when the action they perform is of the same nature.

GhaleonEB

taylor910 said:
I have a question on invasion slayer-

When a team gets to the 25 (or 50) and the next phase starts, does the killcount start over? So if you lose 25 to 10, are you still set back 15 kills in the next phase?
Yeah, it seems to be straight up Slayer, with additional Loadouts and Reinforcements (weapon/vehicle drops) added at 25 and then 50 kills. First team to 100 kills wins.

NDA expires now, right?

Spasm said:
Apparently so!

Halo: Reach Beta - Hands On (IGN)

PTApY.jpg

it says these images were added yesterday, I hadn't seen them before... I apologize if they are in fact old.

Edit: Ummm what?
"Through matchmaking, custom games or system link, you'll have four multiplayer maps to explore when the beta launches."

Is IGN mad or is this for real?
"There are two bright spots in the health-and-wellness realm. First, your shields are still regenerative and they're a bit heartier against melee attacks than in Halo 3. A smack from behind will still net a kill so long as your target's shields are down."

So does that mean simply punching someone in the back will not kill them unless their shields are down...? I know Bungie has been stressing the exact opposite for the past month but...

EGConsidermymindblown.jpg

"The most dramatic change is that the B button no longer controls melee attacks. It switches between grenades now. The left bumper now controls your armor abilities and the right bumper melees."

harrytang

chapel said:
Has anyone considered that the Jetpack AA could be controlled by holding jump? It would be a simple way to implement it as well as keep it consistent with the lexicon of control schemes. I use bumper jumper, so having it be apart of the jump mechanic would be nice. As well it just would be odd to have to control jump and the jet pack separately, when the action they perform is of the same nature.

i agree with you. its more intuitive to have the jet pack activation be more of a double jump control scheme, however, for consistencies sake I assume all equipment will be activated through the same method.

GhaleonEB

The Eurogamer article had a few errors (Invasion is six on six, not four on four), but this one cracked me up:
New weapons round out the package, the best of which, for my money, is the Designated Marksman Rifle, a retooled Assault Rifle that fires in bursts of just one bullet.

Top Bottom