• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helicopters are officially heading to Microsoft Flight Simulator

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
tenor.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Kuranghi

At first glance I thought you were telling us their was some kind of coup and they were heading to MS HQ in helicopters to kidnap Bill Gates or something.

Thats really cool, probably tons of work considering the difference of physics, I wonder what else they could easily add to the engine? I want to bomb around the earth in a giant hovercraft, that would be ace. I was so disappointed when I learned you can't drive the hovercraft in FH4.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Nice.

great "news" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This has literally been known for months (here's the same feedback snapshot with 2022 date in May. It was there earlier but I can't be bothered to search for it) and there are already two helicopters available for MSFS, one freeware and one payware.

The freeware one:

The payware one:

Whoever wrote this "article" either knows nothing of Microsoft Flight Simulator, or doesn't know what "news" means.

Also "Microsoft Flight Simulator App" 😂

Last edited:

This has literally been known for months (here's the same feedback snapshot with 2022 date in May. It was there earlier but I can't be bothered to search for it) and there are already two helicopters available for MSFS, one freeware and one payware.

The freeware one:

The payware one:

Whoever wrote this "article" either knows nothing of Microsoft Flight Simulator, or doesn't know what "news" means.

Dont shoot the messenger

Danknugz

The article actually mentions towards the end that they’re aware of the existing mods by that there is no native official support yet. Personallly I’m looking forward to the July 27th update which apparently has some vR optimizations (also the launch date for series x)

Markio128

The only fun game I played that had a helicopter as the main vehicle was Desert Storm and the sequels - maybe Choplifter and Airwolf at a pinch. I could never get used to flying a helicopter in 3D space. I’ll be sticking to flying planes in MS FS, but it’s still good news for chopper fans.

Interfectum

The freeware one:

The payware one:

angry attack GIF by Nat Geo Wild
Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I say missed opportunity that there is no air combat in the game.. They should add dog fights with Top gun expansion this fall

Microsoft Flight Simulator has never been about combat in its nearly 40 years of history. It has always been about simulating peaceful flight as well as possible, to a degree that combat simulators simply cannot do.

I can guarantee without any doubt that they will never implement combat. Not with the Top Gun expansion, nor ever.

It would add a massive layer of complexity that would pretty literally hinder the development of what the simulator actually is. If you want air combat, that's what DCS World is for.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I want World War II dogfights

Big Brother Want GIF by Big Brother Australia

Even if they went with it, it would take years to reach DCS (or il2sturmovik) levels. As one of the biggest MSFS2020 fans around let me recommend you Digital Combat Simulator instead, it's the best alternative IMO and have good WWII maps and aircraft.

With that said, MS has had success with combat sims before, I vividly remember Microsoft Combat Simulator which was a seriously great series. Maybe a reboot of this with MSFS2020 technology, IDK......

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Even if they went with it, it would take years to reach DCS (or il2sturmovik) levels. As one of the biggest MSFS2020 fans around let me recommend you Digital Combat Simulator instead, it's the best alternative IMO and have good WWII maps and aircraft.

With that said, MS has had success with combat sims before, I vividly remember Microsoft Combat Simulator which was a seriously great series. Maybe a reboot of this with MSFS2020 technology, IDK......

Awesome, didnt know about this game! Looks incredible.
I guess it REALLY requires a powerful machine to run properly (similar to MS2020 I guess)

Topher

Gold Member

I've played il2. It is ok. I looked into DCS at one point, but remember thinking it was very expensive. What I really want is a another Battle of Britain game like what LucasArts did way back when. Now that was fun.

I remember thinking those graphics were incredible. lol

Droxcy

The freeware one:

The payware one:

This. I’ve been flying the Airbus since the first beta release super sick!

nemiroff

Gold Member
Awesome, didnt know about this game! Looks incredible.
I guess it REALLY requires a powerful machine to run properly (similar to MS2020 I guess)

Of course the better computer you run it on, the better it will look and play yeah. I managed to play it in VR with a GTX1080 though, so for most people it will run fine if you play it on a screen.

I also like these guys' trailers showcasing their attention to detail

It doesn't have MSFS2020 overall graphical fidelity, but it has amazing combat, flight physics are great, attention to detail is out of this world, and they've come a long way over the years.

Anyway, I guess this is off topic..

Top Bottom