• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers II broke 250k+ CCU on Steam: first PlayStation PC release to do so

Slimboy Fat

We've seen a lot of hits on Steam lately. I wonder how much of this is simply because the platform has grown. Console game releases, characterized by AAA, has been slow this generation. I'm sure this factors in.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is super uranium found randomly like the other specimens?

nope, there found by uranium ball sacks on Suicide (3 per mission) Impossible (5 per mission) and hell dive (6 per mission) but there is always just one silver uranium ball sack with all the drops next to it.

looks like this

super-rare-samples-v0-2w77u3v1pcic1.jpeg

Last edited:
nope, there found by uranium ball sacks on Suicide (3 per mission) Impossible (5 per mission) and hell dive (6 per mission) but there is always just one silver uranium ball sack with all the drops next to it.

looks like this

super-rare-samples-v0-2w77u3v1pcic1.jpeg

Are these marked on the map or standout in any way from a distance so they are easy to find?

So there are three of those structures on suicide with 3 each or just one tower with 3 drops?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Are these marked on the map or standout in any way from a distance so they are easy to find?

So there are three of those structures on suicide with 3 each or just one tower with 3 drops?

there's always at least one per map, even on lower levels (just they don't spawn samples to collect), they don't get marked you just have to get used to looking for them, they are unique because they have those silvery veins and look like an upside down ballsack, once you get used to them you know what to look for.

heres a video showing them

obviously maps with less trees and shit are better to find them on, currently the bug planet Fenrir III is the go to, since its mostly flat and baron.

Last edited:

Katatonic

If it says the servers are full, just a wait a lil.
I've been able to get in every time within a reasonable time frame.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Really tempted to get this one with a few of my friends to play but I’ll wait until the server issues are addressed.

They should have increased their server capacity to 500K.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If they play this correct, it can have reasonable legs. Content is always king and they delivered a robust game a launch worthy of some success unlike Palworld.
Honestly, I don't think it will have much legs exactly because of this. They got blindsided by the success so I doubt their roadmap has a lot of content ready soon, which is what it would take to retain their players.

GAAS customers are very fickle. Sony dropped the ball on that one. It doesn't seem like they had contingency plans in case this game blew past their expectations which is what is happening right now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Honestly, I don't think it will have much legs exactly because of this. They got blindsided by the success so I doubt their roadmap has a lot of content ready soon, which is what it would take to retain their players.

GAAS customers are very fickle. Sony dropped the ball on that one. It doesn't seem like they had contingency plans in case this game blew past their expectations which is what is happening right now.

This is a similar product to No Mans Sky. Arrowhead can go away from an extended period of time, drop a big content update, and everyone will return for a few weeks.

That being said, they clearly have a certain amount of runway already built as they already teased the mechs.

What kind of contingency would you have for your small GAAS shooter to suddenly surpass COD numbers on PSN? You don't just throw servers at this to fix it, they need to go into the code and potentially fix tonnes of stuff that might have scaled 10x if pushed, but not 100x.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I will agree with you more than not but would like to see some lessons taken and hopefully see this improved and another installment.

If they play this correct, it can have reasonable legs. Content is always king and they delivered a robust game a launch worthy of some success unlike Palworld.
Palworld is ambitious dude. Way more than that team will ever be able to deliver. I will be highly surprised if they are able to implement all systems bug free that they have put in there. Doubt it will ever hit 1.0.

As for this game, am not sure why people expected unfinished game, it’s relatively straightforward to do.

sachos

Yeah, it's kind of weird that after Microsoft announced that some of their games will be getting PlayStation and Switch ports, you see tweets with a huge amount of likes - that 'PS users' are calling for Helldivers to be released on Xbox. Like these:

"I keep seeing PlayStation players on social media begging for Xbox players to be able to play Helldivers 2"
Animated GIF

Reading the comments on those tweets, feels weird. Can't even know if they are bots or just people actually joking around following a meme. Apperently it is a tiktok thing? I don't use tiktok.

Varteras

Gold Member
Reading the comments on those tweets, feels weird. Can't even know if they are bots or just people actually joking around following a meme. Apperently it is a tiktok thing? I don't use tiktok.

The only begging going on is wanting to get on in the first place. None of the people I play with have said, "You know what would make this game better and help us win? Gamepass subscribers"!

IDappa

I saw somewhere, it think it was the discord or a dev on twitter that the devs plan to have content drops every second Thursday of each month. Not sure how realistic that is but will have to wait and see.

hinch7

Wow this game blew up. 406K concurrent players on Steam and growing.

Bet Sony/Arrowhead didn't expect half of that. Shame about the server issues and capacity.

Last edited:
We've seen a lot of hits on Steam lately. I wonder how much of this is simply because the platform has grown. Console game releases, characterized by AAA, has been slow this generation. I'm sure this factors in.

It's a combination of a few things

• Absolutely you're right that because the platform has grown it is much easier for a recent game to get a higher CCU count than an older game that might have flashed in the pan at a lower userbase
  • It helps when the games are cheaper. Helldivers was 40 dollars and Palworld was 30
  • Games being viral success will beget more success, as friends say hey try this it is only 30-40 dollars
    • If Helldivers was 70 it wouldn't be nearly as successful
If anything I think it is a message that depending on your model you can draw attention and sales at smaller prices and publicly announcing numbers can generate from marketing buzz. Where a lack of transparency makes that difficult.

We know Helldivers is currently the best selling game on PSN, but we have no idea the units it is doing. We can't actively compare it to anything else. We know it is doing more units than Fortnite for whatever time period and that it is doing more than CoD which has been out for months.

Will Helldivers lead NPD for February? Units v Revenue? We'll have to see.

It's worth noting that in the Japanese PSN store it is ranked 8th.

hinch7

Could you say that the hype is massive and growing?
At this rate yeah. Depends if it keep on going up with word of mouth. Not really paid attention to numbers but looking at gaming outlets, it was around 200K not only a few days ago. Even with PC users having long waiting times and overpopulation/capacity issues.

I'd be tempted to jump in as well but busy month and FF7 Rebirth next week.

Last edited:
Top Bottom