• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

help I just got No Mans Sky

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
what in the what do I do in this thing??

please give me tips to have fun play ins creative mode?

GSYDS6PSPWPzWm3fFGj5gj-970-80.jpg.webp

Drizzlehell

Banned
The point of the game is to discover stuff on your own but if you really need hand holding then just play the standard single player game which guides you through the basics and eases you into the game's mechanics. All you need to do is to pay attention the tutorial messages.

Last edited:
Just follow the guided objectives. It’s pretty simple stuff to be honest and although it can feel a little overwhelming, the objectives can be completed on almost any planet. The game encourages you to explore anyway, so have fun.

MirageMew2

FYI the latest expedition just started and runs for the next two months. Highly recommend starting it that way as it’s a more “late game” guided start (you begin with a freighter and the first objective is to land on a planet, to give you an idea) and it rolls over as a Normal save when it’s over. These are seasonal, objective based runs that offer unique rewards and a more social experience. Couldn’t be a better time to start.

nkarafo

Isn't NMS a single player game? What are those "expeditions" and what happens to that content when they are over?

KiteGr

Here are the nessessary steps.
  1. Press pause, quit, and get off creative mode. Start in Normal!
  2. The main quest generally offers a smooth introduction to most mechanism. There are very few traps you can fall into starting a new game.
  3. At the start you'll most likelly begin in some hazardous planed with little shield. Your first actions should be to fix the functions of your multitool and find some sodium to charge your depleting shield.
  4. Mining plants gives you carbon. Mining rocks gives you ferite. Having scanned the type of thing you are mining might also give you some additional element! Glowing flowers give you oxigen, sodium or a temporary jetpack boost depending on their color and can be picked by hand. Scatered blue crystals can be mined into dihydrogen that's important for fuel and recipies.
  5. Mining mineral formations like Coper require the terain manipulator and not the mining beam for some reason...
  6. There are 4 types of scans.
    • Looking at stuff through the visor by pressing the trigger. (analizes new minerals, flora and fauna, find mineral formations, salvagable technologies, ruins and other thingies)
    • Pressing the analogue stick while on foot. (Marks harvestable Flowers and crystar formations, and bases if they are near. Has long recharge time, usefull for finding depletable resoureces)
    • Pressing the analogue stick while flying on your ship on a planet. (marks points of interest such as bases, outposts, ruins among other things while flying near them)
    • Pressing the analogue stick while flying in space and looking at a planet (get basic info about it.)
  7. Punching and jumping is an amazing trick to travel large distances very fast.
  8. Upgrade your visor to give more money when scanning new things. It gives very good money early game.
  9. Pressing down on your Dpad opens a handy menu that has crammed most important and unimportant functions like:
    • Switch to 3rd person.
    • Calling your ship/fraighter/exocraft.
    • Changing ships and multitools.
    • Toggling your flashlight.
    • Emoting.
    • Opening the galaxy map.
    • Answering your fucking radio!
  10. Lifting off any planed with your ship costs fuel, unless you have landend on a designated parking area. I suggest installing some autocharging upgrade and never deal with it again! Flying normally costs nothing, unless you are pulshing or warping.
  11. Don't pick fights with sentinels unless you have serious firepower. The don't like it when you mine/kill stuff, but if they are suspicius of you, just do nothing and they'll leave you alone. If they become agressive, run away and lay low intill you loose the wanted level. Do not let them see you fly off in your ship, as space combat is even harder.
  12. Important items and minerals to always gather and/or have with you:
    • Ferite is your traditional "iron" and most recipies require some version of it (refined or unrefined).
    • Dihydrogen. Can be found as blue crystals on most planets. Basic indriedient for "lifting-off" fuel. The rest are easy.
    • Sodium can be found on the yellow plants and is important for your shield.
    • Carbon can be found by mining plants, and it's a fuel for your refiners and ingridient for most recipies.
    • Coper can be found as a mineral formation on most planets. When refined, it turns into chromatic metal that you'll gona need a ton!
    • Salvaged Technology can be found on most planets by scanning/looking the surface with the Visor. It sells for a lot of cash, but it's better used to unlock recipies and buildings.
    • Tritium can be found by firign at asteroids along gold and silver. Usefull for most ship building/traveling recipies.
    • Nanites are a more valuable currency. It can be found while exploring bases or over-refining the mold you often find on abandoned bases. It's used to buy upgrades and recipies.
    • The rest are situational. Keep a decent amound of new items/minerals in your base until it's asked of you.
  13. Progressing the story will give you access to your own freighter after a few warps and hours of playtime. It'll also give you your own settlement. They give access to daylly missions that can offer vast amounts of resources.
  14. Install teleport recievers to all your ships and freighters. They allow you to directly transfer items to them from large distances uncloging your inventory.
  15. You can expand your inventory once on each system's station, and one additional time on the Anomaly Hub for each diferent system from which you've entered it from. You can also expand it for free by finding inventory stations on planets and fixing them (the materials are always the same).
  16. The Anomaly becomes accessible soon in the story, a gate to it can be summoned anywhere, and it's a hub area where you meet other players, go on multiplayer missions, buy upgrades and get cool (mostly cosmetic) rewards.
  17. Bases, beyond your wooden one, run on electricity, and you have to manage the cables. You can eather build a bioreactor and plug it to your base, or alternativelly build solar panels, plug them to batteries to store the excess power and plug the battery to the base (panels work only at day time). On freighters power runs everywhere and there is no need to manage cables.
  18. Storages on bases can stack higher quantities and links with other storages on other bases, including your freighter. That's why they are numbered.
  19. Harvesting energy, gass or minerals from the planet requires you using your visor and pressing right/left (with the nessessary upgrades) on your d-pad to locate a hotspot(s). Then build a base, a harvester on the hotspot and a pipeline to a resource deposit get the materials. Multiple harversters on the same hotspot give diminishing returns.
  20. Most Exocraffts are outdated, and have little use beyond the ocaisonal powerfull mining lazer.
I hope I helped.

Last edited:

Raven77

NMS could really benefit by looking at what Starfield did. Giga don't expect a deep story or RPG mechanics. The graphics are also far inferior. You CAN however fly between planets, which is time consuming, but provides opportunity for bathroom breaks.

Don't start on creative mode. Just go in with an open mind and let your imagination fuel your journey!

VN1X

Banned
  2. The main quest generally offers a smooth introduction to most mechanism. There are very few traps you can fall into starting a new game.
  3. At the start you'll most likelly begin in some hazardous planed with little shield. Your first actions should be to fix the functions of your multitool and find some sodium to charge your depleting shield.
  4. Mining plants gives you carbon. Mining rocks gives you ferite. Having scanned the type of thing you are mining might also give you some additional element! Glowing flowers give you oxigen, sodium or a temporary jetpack boost depending on their color and can be picked by hand. Scatered blue crystals can be mined into dihydrogen that's important for fuel and recipies.
  5. Mining mineral formations like Coper require the terain manipulator and not the mining beam for some reason...
    • Looking at stuff through the visor by pressing the trigger. (analizes new minerals, flora and fauna, find mineral formations, salvagable technologies, ruins and other thingies)
    • Pressing the analogue stick while on foot. (Marks harvestable Flowers and crystar formations, and bases if they are near. Has long recharge time, usefull for finding depletable resoureces)
    • Pressing the analogue stick while flying on your ship on a planet. (marks points of interest such as bases, outposts, ruins among other things while flying near them)
    • Pressing the analogue stick while flying in space and looking at a planet (get basic info about it.)
  7. Punching and jumping is an amazing trick to travel large distances very fast.
  8. Upgrade your visor to give more money when scanning new things. It gives very good money early game.
  9. Pressing down on your Dpad opens a handy menu that has crammed most important and unimportant functions like:
    • Switch to 3rd person.
    • Emoting.
  10. Lifting off any planed with your ship costs fuel, unless you have landend on a designated parking area. I suggest installing some autocharging upgrade and never deal with it again! Flying normally costs nothing, unless you are pulshing or warping.
  11. Don't pick fights with sentinels unless you have serious firepower. The don't like it when you mine/kill stuff, but if they are suspicius of you, just do nothing and they'll leave you alone. If they become agressive, run away and lay low intill you loose the wanted level. Do not let them see you fly off in your ship, as space combat is even harder.
    • Ferite is your traditional "iron" and most recipies require some version of it (refined or unrefined).
    • Dihydrogen. Can be found as blue crystals on most planets. Basic indriedient for "lifting-off" fuel. The rest are easy.
    • Carbon can be found by mining plants, and it's a fuel for your refiners and ingridient for most recipies.
    • Coper can be found as a mineral formation on most planets. When refined, it turns into chromatic metal that you'll gona need a ton!
    • Salvaged Technology can be found on most planets by scanning/looking the surface with the Visor. It sells for a lot of cash, but it's better used to unlock recipies and buildings.
    • Tritium can be found by firign at asteroids along gold and silver. Usefull for most ship building/traveling recipies.
    • Nanites are a more valuable currency. It can be found while exploring bases or over-refining the mold you often find on abandoned bases. It's used to buy upgrades and recipies.
    • The rest are situational. Keep a decent amound of new items/minerals in your base until it's asked of you.
  13. Progressing the story will give you access to your own freighter after a few warps and hours of playtime. It'll also give you your own settlement. They give access to daylly missions that can offer vast amounts of resources.
  14. Install teleport recievers to all your ships and freighters. They allow you to directly transfer items to them from large distances uncloging your inventory.
  15. You can expand your inventory once on each system's station, and one additional time on the Anomaly Hub for each diferent system from which you've entered it from. You can also expand it for free by finding inventory stations on planets and fixing them (the materials are always the same).
  16. The Anomaly becomes accessible soon in the story, a gate to it can be summoned anywhere, and it's a hub area where you meet other players, go on multiplayer missions, buy upgrades and get cool (mostly cosmetic) rewards.
  17. Bases, beyond your wooden one, run on electricity, and you have to manage the cables. You can eather build a bioreactor and plug it to your base, or alternativelly build solar panels, plug them to batteries to store the excess power and plug the battery to the base (panels work only at day time). On freighters power runs everywhere and there is no need to manage cables.
  18. Storages on bases can stack higher quantities and links with other storages on other bases, including your freighter. That's why they are numbered.
  19. Harvesting energy, gass or minerals from the planet requires you using your visor and pressing right/left (with the nessessary upgrades) on your d-pad to locate a hotspot(s). Then build a base, a harvester on the hotspot and a pipeline to a resource deposit get the materials. Multiple harversters on the same hotspot give diminishing returns.
  20. Most Exocraffts are outdated, and have little use beyond the ocaisonal powerfull mining lazer.
I hope I helped.
I don't even play the game and this post is legit legitness!

m8n4m.gif

Why are you starting on creative? Play standard or survival. Although they really nerfed the standard survival parts. You used to have to bunker under ground to wait out storms before you find your ship, but it seems not as prevalent now. Could be I just got lucky but I doubt it.

The feeling of starting out with nothing, crashed on a strange planet and having to obtain /build parts to fix your ship is just awesome. Doing creative you will miss out.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Try running in one direction for fourteen minutes and report back with your results.

After you've gone fourteen minutes back to where you started. I don't hear very well.

StueyDuck

It's like minecraft... you craft your own adventure.

You can focus on building or resource gathering, if you leave sandbox you'll have objectives to follow with essentially 2 plot lines (maybe three it's been a while for me)

And basically you decide what your playstyle is, be aware it's gonna be mostly scanning and collecting. Nothing wrong with that but you mustn't expect much else of a gameplay loop other than that, if that's your cup of tea then get stuck in.

what in the what do I do in this thing??

please give me tips to have fun play ins creative mode?

GSYDS6PSPWPzWm3fFGj5gj-970-80.jpg.webp
Ignore the naysayers that speak ill of Creative mode. It's perfectly fine to start in creative mode, it's a great way to get your bearings and avoid costly beginner mistakes while you learn what everything does and learn what's mandatory and not as important to focus on when it comes to upgrades and progression . The game can be overwhelming at first, so being able to buy and craft everything, max multiple ships and build whatever you want and overall just do mistakes is great for beginners. At least you'll know what everything does and what's high priority and superfluous when you start a new game afterwards. My first savegame was in Creative, and it served me really well in learning the basics.

Also good to know you can tweak difficulty settings pretty extensively nowadays, allowing you to change a creative save into something else later, modify individual parameters so the game behaves the same as a normal playtrough in terms of combat while retaining the free crafting to experiment on building stuff like huge bases or maxing all the ships you find, etc... You do you ! Nowadays pretty much all of my saves have custom difficulty settings, because I tune down what I hate, tune up what I like, and overall would rather have free crafting than dismantling ships in a space station for five hours every time I want to max my ship's inventory slots... No shame in taking a few shortcuts. For some reason people spending five hours duping ressources using various glitches, then they badmouth people for turing the game on creative mode when they need to craft a ship or something... Do what's best for you...

Yes, there will be a re-learning experience when you restart normal play-trough , as suddenly you will have to pay more attention to what crafting materials and quantities are needed to craft the upgrades you need, plus farm stuff like Nanites and Credits, but at least you will know what the stuff you're crafting actually does, and which things you should focus on as priority.

Also, once you get your bearing, it could be a good idea to run the current expedition while it's active.

Last edited:

Corian33

Huge piece of knowledge I recently discovered: This game has amazing difficulty adjustment options. You can turn off a lot of the annoying mechanics like needing to craft fuel just to launch your ship.

For me, the fun of the game is exploring and seeing what else is out there. Mining resources so I can convert them into doo-dads so I can mine more resources is extremely boring. Go into the difficulty settings and just turn off all the things that are un-fun (subjective of course). Much better game after I realized this.

Don't understand the point of a thread like this since YouTube is literred with beginner guides to this game and basically any other game you wish to play.

Then asking for tips to have fun in the game you just bought on top of all that 😂😭

Last edited:
Don't understand the point of a thread like this since YouTube is literred with beginner guides to this game and basically any other game you wish to play.

Then asking for tips to have fun in the game you just bought on top of all that 😂😭
As a fan of MMORPGs who tends to do mountains of research before jumping into any MMO, I get where he's coming from 🤷‍♂️

Overall you're right though youtube is probably the better option, but if he doesn't have the time and would rather read a quick guide than watch or listen to one on youtube, I get why he made the thread.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
    • Switch to 3rd person.
    • Emoting.
I hope I helped.

Thank you my for thirs my friends I trust Neogaf more thens other opinions I will keep playing

Top Bottom