• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help, I'm a WoW noob!

Diablos said:
Who the fuck wants to be a bear or something? Argh. Should've been a Night Elf but something else.

Oh well. More incentive to pay for the game, get to like level 25 or so and then be another race and class. :D

That's the best way...play a bunch of classes to 10-12 and see what suits you best.

Tamanon

Banned
I bounced *ALL* over the spectrum before settling on Rogue. Hunter and Mage was pretty fun, but Mage was a bit longer to level haha.

Shouta

I've played Rogue, Paladin, and Hunter. Hunter has been by far the easiest to level for me. The sheer power some of those Hunter skills have make taking down enemies fast and with the high rate of recovery as well as food, it's insane. I would've been 35 in my free two week trial but I didn't feel like playing that much.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Shouta said:
I've played Rogue, Paladin, and Hunter. Hunter has been by far the easiest to level for me. The sheer power some of those Hunter skills have make taking down enemies fast and with the high rate of recovery as well as food, it's insane. I would've been 35 in my free two week trial but I didn't feel like playing that much.

The PC Gamer trial? I thought you could only level to 20 in that.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Shouta said:
Nope, I got to 28 on that trial (ended last night).

Hm. That's strange:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=4291970&p=1&tmp=1#post4291970
During the trial period, characters on the promotional accounts will be able to advance up to level 20 and accumulate up to 10 gold. Use of the auction house and mailbox, player-to-player trade, and access to the in-game chat channels will be unavailable for the duration of the trial period.

SyNapSe

I'm not sure why they would limit the number of levels you can get, but money I think it's just so people who know ways to scam don't use this alternate account to do it with no repurcussions.

Shouta

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Shouta said:
That post was made last Tuesday, a week after I started the trial. I guess they restricted all accounts made with the trial code after that date so that it couldn't get abused and so my account wasn't affected. I wonder if I can continue my subscription by just paying the fee and not having to buy the full retail version.

You have to buy a retail copy for a CD key.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
wow in the same thread not only did I see a post that said Priests cant solo, but Hunters are basically gimp.

There are more wow noobs out there than just the OP, and if I were you diablos i wouldnt listen to a damn thing they said. If anything WoW is as close as any mmorpg will come to having every class kicks ass. I've had a hunter, druid, pally, and warlock, all of them can level with ease up to 60 (warlocks have to farm tho). As far as pve goes you cant go wrong, fastest farmers are rogues and hunters tho, mages kill fast but they have to restore large amts of mana after a couple fights if not one paladins will NEVER die unless some cheap add comes but they kill SLOW.

PVP hunters are the most versatile, with their ability to kite, track, confuse, snare, dot, trap, stun,ok you get the point. Basically priests and mages are your only threat. Rogue gets close on you? wing clip his ass, same goes for warriors and pallys. Shamans just make em burn their mana and blast em to nothing you never have to get close to them, druids...catch em off guard. Not to mention Hunters are getting all new talents that just made the most versatile class in pvp perhaps the best outright you can check em out on Worldofwarcraft.com and use the talent calculator. You can augment two of your three class aspects off the charts so if you want to be a badass marksmen with a badass pet you can, or if you wanna be a melee hunter that cant take in close action and have a bad ass pet you can, or you can be IF YOU WANT a hunter without need of a pet with pimp marksmen skills and good melee skills, its retarded. Just remember that your hunter is not for the front lines and you'll become the bane of everyones existence.

Shouta

I've actually had trouble dueling Paladins of my level. I can never keep enough distance to land hits and trying to Wing Clip him doesn't really work since He uses Blessing of Freedom. I've never had trouble against a Priest or Mage though. Maybe something changes about these Duels as I get higher but man Paladins are a bitch and a half to fight and Warriors are just a notch below.

SyNapSe

DonasaurusRex said:
PVP hunters are the most versatile, with their ability to kite, track, confuse, snare, dot, trap, stun,ok you get the point. Basically priests and mages are your only threat. Rogue gets close on you? wing clip his ass, same goes for warriors and pallys. Shamans just make em burn their mana and blast em to nothing you never have to get close to them, druids...catch em off guard.

It's hard to believe you've ever PvP'd with a Hunter.

I'm going to go get a new game today and I'm not sure what I'm going to get...Right now my two top runners are Psychonauts and World of Warcraft. I'll be making my decision in less than an hour.

Tamanon

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I'm going to go get a new game today and I'm not sure what I'm going to get...Right now my two top runners are Psychonauts and World of Warcraft. I'll be making my decision in less than an hour.

I'd say WoW personally, buying the game gets oyu a free month of play, which is about 3 times as much as you could eek out of Psychonauts. Plus you might love the game even more and continue to play it haha.

I ended up trading in Revenge of the Sith DS, Rayman DS, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory DS, and Bomberman DS...And in exchange I got...

1 Pre-Ordered Xbox 360
1 Copy of Computer Gamer Featuring a 14-Day World of Warcraft Trial

teiresias

Yeah, I was about to suggest just going out and finding a magazine with the WoW trial in it. Then if you like it you can buy the retail.

No one ever answered my question about how it plays over 56k though . . . anyone? I'd imagine fine since FFXI works just as well, but thought I'd make sure.

SyNapSe

teiresias said:
Yeah, I was about to suggest just going out and finding a magazine with the WoW trial in it. Then if you like it you can buy the retail.

No one ever answered my question about how it plays over 56k though . . . anyone? I'd imagine fine since FFXI works just as well, but thought I'd make sure.

I have no experience playing it over 56k, but many times the latency isn't really that great even on Cable due to server's being over crowded. I would think you would be able to play just fine.. Obviously PvP you are going to be slightly limited on some things, but still able to participate.

Diablos

I likely will buy the retail ver, but damn, $50 is expensive as hell considering you also have to pay $15 a month. Everquest 2 retails for $20... WoW should compete. Of course they probably don't have to.

Tamanon

Banned
Diablos said:
I likely will buy the retail ver, but damn, $50 is expensive as hell considering you also have to pay $15 a month. Everquest 2 retails for $20... WoW should compete. Of course they probably don't have to.

It's the same thing with Madden vs NFL2K5, one of them already has the base and thus doesn't NEED to drag in new people, hah. They'll probably come out with a $19/$29 version before X-mas I'm thinking.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Diablos said:

Every MMORPG drops in price quickly because it's much easier to snag a monthly subscription from someone if the barrier to entry is a low a price as possible.

Hell Mythic knows this better than anyone from their "Bring a Friend" program.

The new DAoC expansion comes with a FREE copy of DAoC + Shrouded Isles and three additional CD keys for free trails. Mythic TELLS people to make copies of the DOaC discs included with the expansion and to give them to friends w/ the free CD Keys.

From there for each person who goes on to subscribe to DAoC from the trail key you gave them, you get a free month of gameplay.

border

If you watch eBay closely you can get someone to sell you a retail CD-key for about $40. That's what I did, though some people will obviously prefer to get the box and manual and stuff (I just borrowed a friend's). Just buy from someone with a lot of good feedback, and preferably someone covered by PayPal Buyer Protection. Oh and watch out for stealth shipping charges (auctions with a low buyout price, but then $10 "shipping" fee to mail you a CD Key).

Are there any good performance guides for WoW?

teiresias

I don't see the point of ebaying a key for $40, at that point you may as well suck it up and pay $10 more to get some packaging and game disc too.

teiresias

SyNapSe said:
I have no experience playing it over 56k, but many times the latency isn't really that great even on Cable due to server's being over crowded. I would think you would be able to play just fine.. Obviously PvP you are going to be slightly limited on some things, but still able to participate.

Thanks. Does anyone know if the PC Gamer trial disk has all the latest patches already on it, or will I have to download them. If so, how big are they in total? I'm just wondering if I should wait until I get home for a few days to install it on my laptop so I can download the patches at a reasonable speed over the cable connection there.

Diablos

FINALLY made it to level 10...
I'm gonna go to my Druid trainer so I can morph. Then I can finally get on the ship and stay at Auberdine :D

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
teiresias said:
Thanks. Does anyone know if the PC Gamer trial disk has all the latest patches already on it, or will I have to download them. If so, how big are they in total? I'm just wondering if I should wait until I get home for a few days to install it on my laptop so I can download the patches at a reasonable speed over the cable connection there.

Finishing the install of WoW on my new iBook from CDs from the original retail and it only had to download one 190MB patch for 1.6.

I installed the World of Warcraft trial, and just sat down for my first two hour session. I'm already hooked. Got myself up to Level 5, and I'm really enjoying myself. I think I'll be losing some sleep tonight :lol

Diablos

graymane.gif

Haha, my server is maxed out like every day :lol

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Diablos said:
graymane.gif

Haha, my server is maxed out like every day :lol

Because it's one of the three newest servers.

The #1 rule of a MMORPG is that whenever a new MMO server is launched, it's flooded with people for the first month or two before they go back to their main characters.

Diablos

More people?

Anyway, I'm pretty content with my level 13 Druid, my only complaint is that they have CRAPPY armor.

Warriors, paladins and hunters kill enemies in no time.

Top Bottom