• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst is being raked over the coals by PlayStation fans on Twitter

hemo memo

Gold Member
Guys, please, I have it figured out. In the world, we have three things:

1. State of Play
2. PlayStation Showcase
3. PlayStation Experience

Clearly, with the Showcase we were left without the Experience of a banger show. Instead we got Played

Yes the show had something for everyone in a sense. And most here will agree that it didn't have the mic drop moments everyone was waiting for. But part of me still thinks we're getting an Experience later this year. Or at least a better show. This can't be Sony's presentation for the year, can it

Sad The Office GIF

my-sweet-summer-child-sweet-summer-child.gif

See you in 18 months.

ZehDon

Gold Member
What I see is the legacy titles finished clearing the runway at PlayStation studios and we're now seeing the first buds of Hulst's work under Ryan's GaaS push. Instead of relying on the work of the folks who came before them, I imagine this "Phase 2" is finally all Hulst and Ryan. Not a great start.

With that said, it takes more than one bad show to do damage. If Spider-man 2 lands and it's a step down, and Final Fantasy XVI lands and it's not good enough, then they're in trouble. Two releases every year and CGI trailers means when you do release a game, you have to deliver the absolute top shelf every single time. So far, both games look excellent, even if Spider-man 2 looks a little dated, so I think they'll be fine for the year ahead.

hemo memo

Gold Member
This show reminded me of that one time Square Enix just slapped a long video at E3 instead of a presentation just to be done with it.

yurinka

Except the president & CEO said this is “what is next for Playstation 5” and “breathtaking and imaginative content” at the fucking start of the show.
It's a fact that the games shown are part of "what is next for PS5".

And the "breathtaking and imaginative content" is only inofensive and PR bullshit, a subjective comment that could be real for some people with some of the games.

Only crazy people would ask a CEO to be fired or would go to harass their head of studios in Twitter because these sentences. There's nothing wrong with them.

What I see is the legacy titles finished clearing the runway at PlayStation studios and we're now seeing the first buds of Hulst's work under Ryan's GaaS push. Instead of relying on the work of the folks who came before them, I imagine this "Phase 2" is finally all Hulst and Ryan. Not a great start.
There are way more upcoming non-GaaS SP games not shown in that showcase but already announced or to be announced such as Wolverine, Death Stranding 2, Cory's new IP, GoT2, next's ND SP game, FFVII Rebirth etc. Are you going to dislike them too?

If games like GoWR or HZD weren't great due to Hermen/Jimbo, then the Destiny 2 acquisition and other previous GaaS like Destruction All Stars, MLB or GT7 -so the strategy of starting with GaaS- should be assigned too to the previous bosses? And if you liked them or not should that be aplied to Jimbo/Hermen too?

Spoiler: the PC and GaaS strategies started before Jim/Hermen, and the greenlight of most games released until now were greenlighted before Jim/Hermen. But they tweaked the plans and nurtured the projects until got released. They got insane success with the games, the console and subscription in part because of heritage, in part because of their job doing things like choosing acquisitions and heavily increase growing their existing teams, revamping PS+ or investing more than ever in 2nd party or 3rd party exclusives.

Btw, "phase 2" is something said by one of these fake insiders from twitter. Not by Hermen or Jimbo.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

With that said, it takes more than one bad show to do damage. If Spider-man 2 lands and it's a step down, and Final Fantasy XVI lands and it's not good enough, then they're in trouble. Two releases every year and CGI trailers means when you do release a game, you have to deliver the absolute top shelf every single time. So far, both games look excellent, even if Spider-man 2 looks a little dated, so I think they'll be fine for the year ahead.

FFXVI isn't much of a win for Sony considering they just purchased temporary exclusivity rights. It isn't a Sony game and therefore they have zero baring on the quality of the product. It is is great, it is great because of Yoshi P and co. Not because of Sony. If it is bad, it is bad because of Yoshi P and co, not Sony.

ZehDon

Gold Member
FFXVI isn't much of a win for Sony considering they just purchased temporary exclusivity rights. It isn't a Sony game and therefore they have zero baring on the quality of the product. It is is great, it is great because of Yoshi P and co. Not because of Sony. If it is bad, it is bad because of Yoshi P and co, not Sony.
FFXVI is their second exclusive for the year. It doesn't matter if they made it or not: they're marketing it like a first party title, and it's filling a slot of their "two releases a year". They want the title associated with PlayStation and paid for that. If it's good, it looks good for PlayStation. If it isn't, then it looks bad for PlayStation. Pros and cons of the exclusivity deal.

VAVA Mk2

This is why as much as people dunk on Microsoft, you need competition to make sure Sony doesn't sit on its ass.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FFXVI is their second exclusive for the year. It doesn't matter if they made it or not: they're marketing it like a first party title, and it's filling a slot of their "two releases a year". They want the title associated with PlayStation and paid for that. If it's good, it looks good for PlayStation. If it isn't, then it looks bad for PlayStation. Pros and cons of the exclusivity deal.

Much like Tomb Raider for Xbox One and DeathLoop for PS5 - that doesn't count and only morons would be tricked by thinking it is a Playstation product or associating it with Playstation.

This is why as much as people dunk on Microsoft, you need competition to make sure Sony doesn't sit on its ass.
They have been sitting on their ass for years. It has been one non-stop steady decline since 2016 in terms of quality and chasing the almighty short term dollar.

AmuroChan

As he should. Yes, fans will overreact to varying degrees, but optically you can't justify that the showcase was a good one for Sony. In fact, I think you can reasonably say the showcase did more harm for PlayStation than if they had just done a State of Play on Spider-Man 2.

VAVA Mk2

Much like Tomb Raider for Xbox One and DeathLoop for PS5 - that doesn't count and only morons would be tricked by thinking it is a Playstation product or associating it with Playstation.

They have been sitting on their ass for years. It has been one non-stop steady decline since 2016 in terms of quality and chasing the almighty short term dollar.
Sadly...I feel the industry in general is going this way....and then TotK came out...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Tears of the Kingdom...I mean the industry in general has been going after micro transaction broken shit but Nintendo released an awesome single player experience with no online required or bullshit pay to win. I kinda miss that. I miss shooters where you earn and unlock stuff instead of pay for it.

Agreed entirely. id Surprised me with Doom ETernal and DOOM 2016 as well. Just simple FPS games that didn't bloat with needless shit or MTX/Greed. Quality games from start to finish. Sadly these AAA games seem to be growing ever more rare. It is the INdie, A, and AA devs that seem to actualy care about designing good games these days.

Actually, Sony devs actually assisted SE with development to help maximize the PS5.

People bringing Bungie into this, as if their immediate first new game post-acquisition, should be PS exclusive are just being tardcum. Do they not realize how bad that would make Sony look to regulators if they & Bungie reneged on promises they made in part to help get that acquisition approved as quickly as it was?

And if Sony are in fact considering future 3P publisher acquisitions, making the immediate first game from Bungie post-purchase console exclusive when they promised those games would stay multiplat, would make the next big acquisition a nightmare. Just look at the stuff Microsoft's (rightfully) going through for ABK after they promised and then swiftly reneged on certain promises WRT Zenimax.

Do these people want Sony in a similar boat just so they can go through regulatory hell and likely drop pursuit of another big 3P acquisition? I get for those who don't like consolidation on the whole that would be very welcomed; there are also certain Xbox & PCMR fanboys/fangirls who would probably like it if it meant Sony couldn't easily (or at all) go after another publisher. I don't necessarily like mass consolidation either, but I don't want companies to stop due to a reason as astronomically stupid as suddenly making games they literally just promised regulators wouldn't be exclusive, exclusive!

Seems kinda weird to expect any kind of announcement out of those studios when so many of them barely just shipped their latest projects.

Santa Monica? God of War barely just came out.
Sucker Punch? Barely 2 years since GoT, and they were hard at work updating and bringing it to next gen.
Bluepoint, Housemarque? They shipped one of the first PS5 exclusives 2 years ago.
Bend? Yeah, probably working as a support studio after Days Gone flopped, sorry.
Naughty Dog? Also shipped a new game about 2 years ago and then released a remake of the previous one.
Guerrilla? Are you fucking mad, bro? 2 games and a giant expansion to one of them in the last year alone.

Chill the fuck out. Making video games takes a long time, you know. Don't worry, new games will come eventually. Touch grass in the meantime.

Well, in some of these cases as you just mentioned they shipped games over two years ago. But many of these studios have multiple teams, it's not like they only just begin development on the next game after the current one is finished.

So in those cases I'm actually of the mind we could get at least a reveal trailer for a couple of them at this point, even if the games are another two or so years out. Not asking for anything that won't be due until, say, 2027 or 2028 to get shown this year, that's ridiculous. But games coming 2024, 2025? I don't see why not, even if they are just reveal trailers.

Even one of those for a 1P AAA non live-service/GaaS title in lieu of, say, the Concord trailer, would've done a lot to make the Showcase better, especially if it was a new IP or return to a fan-beloved IP.

Last edited:

FF16 is a permanent console exclusive

And details of the arrangement leaked from court documents, the reason Square signed with Sony was because Sony provided technical engineering talent that benefited the game

Last edited:
I didn't personally find the show to be all that objectionable. But it's largely subjective based on whether the games shown appealed to you or not.

So yeah, I do agree people should voice their concerns and criticisms with the perceived direction Sony is moving in with their investments.

While I have far fewer personal issues with Live Service games, in general, myself, I was really fucking disappointed to see that the big Haven, Bungie and Firewalk Live Service games that Sony spent billions acquiring the studios for are ALL PvP focused with no PvE to speak of at all. That's baffling to me. Destiny 2 and Warframe are two of the most prolific Live Service games, and they're primarily SP-focused. I don't why Sony wouldn't want to take advantage of their baked-in SP-loving fanbase to evangelize these new GaaS games. They fucked up on that one.

All that said, FFXVI, Phantom Blade 0, Spiderman 2, Dragon's Dogma 2 and MGS3 remake all look stellar to me. So I was happy with those alone.

Last edited:

yurinka

Then don't have CGI trailers. It's been 20 months since their last showcase.
There have been a lot of State of Plays and blog posts with tons of game announcements since then.

Sucker Punch should be ready to make an announcement.
No, pretty likely they'll need a year or two more. 3 years ago they shipped GoT, months later GT Legends and months later, 2 years ago, the Ikki expansion/PS5 sku/Director's Cut.

Where are they?
Developing their games, which will be shown when ready. Big games take now 5-6+ years of development and Sony doesn't like to show gameplay until pretty close to release.

Bluepoint?
Bluepoint released GoWR half a year ago.

Playstation going down hill since 2019 when Jim Ryan took over.
All factual metrics say the opposite, that they are performing better than ever (with the stok related ones as exception, but are in line to achieve it in a few months) and that are growing more than ever.

Last edited:

sachos

What is Hermen really thrilled and proud about? I don't get it.
I've been thinking about this, from their perspective this Showcase trully was a blowout hit, they showed a bunch of those GaaS games they are so proud about. A PS Showcase with only 1 first party single player game and they did not care.

ZehDon

Gold Member
There are way more upcoming non-GaaS SP games not shown in that showcase but already announced or to be announced such as Wolverine, Death Stranding 2, Cory's new IP, GoT2, next's ND SP game, FFVII Rebirth etc. Are you going to dislike them too?...
Nothing in your rant has much to do with my post. I'm not even sure why you bothered quoting me when you cut off half my post - the half saying how good Sony's big releases for this year looked - only to ask "are you going to dislike [other titles] too?" when at no point did I say I disliked any of the titles shown. Free advice: turn down the defense force rhetoric or you'll run out of people to discuss with.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
So, let me get this correct: "exclusives don't count" and "only morons would be tricked by thinking PlayStation exclusive games are associated with PlayStation"?

reinking

Gold Member
I got really busy at work yesterday and have barely been able to catch up. Was it really that bad? Sony Doomed?

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Personally I think the showcase is pretty good, so he really don’t deserves these. Happy that MGS3 is being remake, MGS Master Collection finally exist, and Sony has some new first party games + Helldivers 2 that I might play on PC . Spider-Man is coming out this year and I will be buying to play on my PS5 after God of War Ragnarok.

Okay I get it. Even I was disappointed in this showcase and I don't even have a PS5 anymore. But good God people, it's just video games.

What the hell is happening with the world?!?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So, let me get this correct: "exclusives don't count" and "only morons would be tricked by thinking PlayStation exclusive games are associated with PlayStation"?

Timed Exclusivity and not made by Playstation. But please, keep trying to push strawman arguments, kiddo.

gothmog

Gold Member
I got really busy at work yesterday and have barely been able to catch up. Was it really that bad? Sony Doomed?

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Who knows? They showed a lot of games but basically nothing Sony related other than CGI and SM2. Oh, and they cracked a dual sense in half and stuffed a big phone in between them.

yurinka

Nothing in your rant has much to do with my post. I'm not even sure why you bothered quoting me when you cut off half my post - the half saying how good Sony's big releases for this year looked - only to ask "are you going to dislike [other titles] too?" when at no point did I say I disliked any of the titles shown.
I did cut to specify the part of your post that I was refering to, but seems that even doing that wasn't clear enough. I suggest you to read my post again, including the part I quoted where you said that the 'phase 2' wasn't a good start due to Jimbo's GaaS push and beeing free of the legacy stuff of the previous bosses.

Free advice: turn down the defense force rhetoric or you'll run out of people to discuss with.
I just post my opinions and debate, just like you.

With the difference that I don't ask others to stop saying or turn down things I don't like or don't agree. It's ok to disagree in a civil way.

If you think I'm specially annoying you're also free to ignore me. There's even a forum option to do so.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but may I ask why?

For a PlayStation showcase, outside of Spider-Man 2, what did you see that would convince you to buy a PS5? Almost everything shown was not exclusive, and surprisingly devoid of gameplay.

But on Playstation you can play with haptic feedback, adaptive trigger and stuffs. Really amazing features that will sell the games and console

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
, the reason Square signed with Sony was because Sony provided technical engineering talent that benefited the game
Does Sony offer technical support to first party studios? Because insomniac sure could use some after showing as a game with barely any improvements over miles.

No tod will hide the difference in level of detail between
this
5.jpg

and this
19.jpg

The difference in textures alone is soo big that you don't have to change the lighting to notice it.
They achieved this nearly 3 years ago...

yE8vmsN.png

FkoBHId.png

So how did we get back to here? They no longer believe in subsurface scattering I guess. And did they suddenly forget their eye rendering techniques?

vaimJkS.png

Sorry for spam posting about the same stuff but I'm still in shock.

Spider-Man 2018 In Game Looks Better Than Spider-Man 2 scenes In 2023.
HrJZt3l.gif

HrJZDa2.gif

HrJmrlf.gif

HrJm4S4.gif

Crazy

This is why ive always hated moneyhats. FF16 was always going to come to PS5. SE could simply not afford to make it an Xbox or PC exclusive. So why bother spending millions on that game instead of giving insmoniac the resources it needs to ensure game looks at least as good as the Matrix. Or ensure ND, SSM, Bend and Sucker Punch have enough bodies to get games out faster than 5-6 years. Maybe stop spending $3.6 billion on wasteful third party multiplatform purchases like Bungie?

0neAnd0nly

Spidey, AW2, MGS3R and even if it’s not my cup of tea anymore, FFXVI.

That’s more than enough for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Only 1 of those is first party exclusive though.

Let’s say you are a gamer deciding between consoles this year, what did this showcase do to win you over to PS?

It was a poor “PLAYSTATION” showcase - an average “gaming” showcase.

PlayStation’s entire argument for so long was “we have better exclusives than XBOX” which has been absolutely true. I am a PlayStation fan first and foremost, I am not speaking as an enemy. PlayStation won nearly every e3 battle since 2010. This showcase though? IMO, easy to beat. Not a good showing.

kyliethicc

Proof that God does exist, and Gaf isnt alone in voicing their disapproval despite the favorable metrics on youtube. These are all top replies to his tweets.

BmBxzoJ.jpg
GbL1kjc.jpg

A lot more under every tweet hes posted since yesterday. Only Philbo seems to be positive about the event and his job as Head of PS Studios lol.

P.S That tweet about them spending billions on Bungie only to make games for xbox is hilarious given how Hermans job is to make first party games for playstation.
pR5757d.jpg

DinoD

For what it was advertised. It was a shit show. I think I'm not the only one who expected this to be the next 2-3 years for playstation studios.

Gojiira

Had they simply hosted a State of Play rather than calling it a PlayStation Showcase, I'm convinced they would've side-stepped most of the disappointment and criticism we're seeing.

Disappointed, but it's not the end of the world. Still plenty of awesome games to play in the meantime.
Yeah people forget that PS exclusives for this year alone are pretty stellar. We have Final Fantasy 16, Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2, Spiderman 2, Sword of the Sea and whatever else. Might not all be first party but still a good lineup.

No doubt there will be another show of some description later in the year and first party will finally take the stage.

supernova8

Banned
Praise The Lord Applause GIF

I think overall, people went into this expecting Sony to finally show what's possible with PS5.
What they can do when they're not constrained by the shackles of last-gen.
"Oh you think God of War Ragnarok looked good? That's not eeeeeeeeeeven a PS5-only title!"
(They didn't say that, I just had it in my head)

Kinda feels like the tacit social contract between Playstation and people who bought into PS5 early was:

"You know we're good for the games, here's Ratchet & Clank and a remake of Demons Souls... and then here's a few great-looking but cross-gen games, in return, will you give us some time build out our PS5-exclusive lineup?"

Judging by sales, the answer was "Sure, Jim/Hermen!"

Question then is how long they expect people to wait before we all start saying "wait where are all the PS5-exclusive games you implied would be coming?

DrFigs

Agreed entirely. id Surprised me with Doom ETernal and DOOM 2016 as well. Just simple FPS games that didn't bloat with needless shit or MTX/Greed. Quality games from start to finish. Sadly these AAA games seem to be growing ever more rare. It is the INdie, A, and AA devs that seem to actualy care about designing good games these days.
I respect what you're saying about TOTK. but Sony and Xbox have both been releasing good single player games this gen. If anything, it seems the problem with Sony is that they've only been releasing single player games, with zero microtransactions.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Too bad Playstation is synonymous with console gaming so they won't feel any pain from this backlash. Maybe if MS brings something worthwhile on June 11th. Even so, it won't make much of a difference.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You know. Even if he runs PS studios into the ground and gets fired. He already made so much money, he could spend the rest of his life doing this. The joke is on us.

Yeah, he's a very bad man for not magically pulling AAA games from various sources out of his ass on command.

Seriously, the world half shut down for the best part of 2 years, AAA titles run on 4+ year production cycles these days, do the math.

Beechos

People act like all the gaas, anime and indie games shown are being developed by Sonys main studios. Next gen dev cycles are super long as we are witnessing from all devs/pubs.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I respect what you're saying about TOTK. but Sony and Xbox have both been releasing good single player games this gen. If anything, it seems the problem with Sony is that they've only been releasing single player games, with zero microtransactions.

I can't agree, at least not in relation to AAA first party games. Xbox has been suffering more than Sony in this regard, but every game I was excited for from Sony, like God of War Ragnarok, has been infinitely disappointing and games I wish I could get a refund for.

Sony's issue is definitely not that they haven't been releasing games with Zero MTX> That should be the standard for all games.

Top Bottom