• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High On Life.... I love it. Anyone else playing this gem?

I've been playing this through the holiday and I keep getting sidetracked watching the in-game TV stuff. I'm pretty sure I hear Joel Haver and his friends more than a few times.

This game is what happens when the writer's room has an "anything you come up with will be in the finished game" policy for the jokes in the game. On quite a few occasions you can hear the voice actors cracking up during a joke. I'm actually having a blast with it.

Chukhopops

I liked it but it felt too short and rushed especially the last third of the game. I’d rate it around 7.5/10.

The best part was the jetpack and the general mobility options, finding boxes and upgrades was fun.

Story wise I would have removed Tweeg but the rest of the cast was worth it.

Thebonehead

Banned
I'm just about to do the second mission to spite Captain Toad Captain Toad and his heinous allegation.

the simpsons lemon GIF

Valonquar

The gimmick of it being a Roiland game wore off quickly. There's like 6 enemy models and then a handful of bosses. Battles (and the same damn battle music) got repetitive very quickly. They did a few fun things with the weapons, but there's little reason to even use most of them.

It was nice to see Joel Haver and his crew doing a lot of the voices. All the video screen background stuff was fun enough, but also could just have been a youtube video series thing on Joel's channel. They all felt like Ab-libbed recording sessions that were then animated afterward, much like the Rick & Morty inter-dimensional TV bits.

I think Roiland is spreading things out too much. Everything he does is going to be compared to Rick & Morty and so far, everything really is just more Rick & Morty without them actually being there, especially with Roiland continuing to do the same voices in everything. A lot of the humor was funny still, and it's definally different to hear everyone dropping F-bombs non-stop in a video game.

DeVeAn

I enjoy the story and the banter and graphics look nice. But the gameplay got old real quick for me.

Roberts

When they fixed the performance, I think just about the only super minor gripe with it was that there is only like 5 or 6 enemy types, but at least it never got old kicking their ass in creative ways. Oh, and it felt weird that Roiland did other voices other than Kenny. He has such a distinctive voice that it feels really weird when other minor characters do that neurotic thing he does.

Other than that, the game was excellent and I think I will definitely try to 1000/1000 in a few months. Boss fights especially were great.

Drewpee

Banned
Well, if someone hasn't played the game then that is one thing, but let's not pretend complaints about the game are isolated to folks "around here". Plenty of reviewers were not kind at all. Unfairly so, imo, but it is what it is.
My comment is specifically referring to Neogaf and the tone he might find here.

That's why I added the "around here" clarification. Apparently it didn't work lol

Sleepwalker

It's trash tv wrapped in basic/repetitive/boring gameplay, your enjoyment of it will come down to your tolerance/enjoyment of rick and morty like jokes. Personally I hated everything about how the game looks and the jokes got old really quick after a decent intro sequence.

Says a lot about the state of gaming currently.

I also don't like Rick and Morty so there's that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My comment is specifically referring to Neogaf and the tone he might find here.

That's why I added the "around here" clarification. Apparently it didn't work lol

I quoted your "around here" comment so yeah, I knew what you meant. My point is the negative reaction to the game isn't just "around here" so this isn't a NeoGAF thing.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Should have had some Painkiller level physics, then it would be cult hit. Like this, especially with that first gun, the shooting is Unreal Engine free template level animation. It's just not fun as the rest of the game trying to be.

ungalo

Finished it. Funny and enjoyable, nothing amazing.

I think the game lacks one or two planets, coming back to the jungle several times and exploring this environment was boring to me. In general i didn't like coming back to some areas to find chests, the ones that were previously dedicated to pure gunfights sequences (like the end of the underground city on the desert planet, or the slums in bim city), it was pretty tedious.

And the last segment and ending were rushed.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Hopefully High on Life 2 has the sister turn into a weapon so she can tag along on all missions and snort coke and have sex with all the aliens.
That would be awesome and hilarious. They need to do that in the sequel, and I do believe there will be a sequel or 3 considering how great this game is doing even with all the shit reviews.

I tried it for a few hours, but I didn't like the slow gunplay or the juvenile humor. Not a fan of Rick and Morty and I didn't know it was made by them until I tried it.

Drewpee

Banned
I quoted your "around here" comment so yeah, I knew what you meant. My point is the negative reaction to the game isn't just "around here" so this isn't a NeoGAF thing.
But that wasn't the point of my post? I was making a comment about the bias toward Sony on Neogaf.

My point primarily being if this was on the PS5 the reception around here (neogaf) would be much better.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If it wasn't for the humour this would be one hell of a dud. The gameplay is so basic it hurts. There is NOTHING mechanically worth it in this game.
I respect your right to have an opinion but I just don't see any need for the harsh statement at all.
Every boss is different and they're all well made. The game has decent dash and platforming. The guns aren't that crazy but they all feel fine and snap aim to enemies pretty well. The dash is a melee hit also. The glob bomb is a lot more fun with the upgrade mod. The grappling hook adds verticality to almost every fight. Before the 2nd to last boss there's a fantastic encounter using magnetic boots to run across the walls as you ascend 4 stories. Theres a few light puzzles even. The chests are actually well hidden and fun to track down. Almost every aspect of the game feels like a casual Halo Infinite which is a pretty huge accomplishment for a lower budget new IP from a team that's never made a FPS. Plays way better than you would expect.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The intro-troll was really nicely done.
The tutorial 'game in a game' runs like absolute crap, made me think it was just Unreal and my PC again - until I later realized the 20fps was just the historically accurate cinematic 90ies framerate (for games that inspired it - like Duke 3d). Actual game runs shockingly well (especially for Unreal title) really quite impressed so far.

Last edited:

Denton

High on Life... a game built on the ubiquitous humour (or attempt at it) and yet it's the more "serious" aspects that impressed the most - the portrayal of the relationship with the sister Leslie, her bickering and eventual friendship with Gene the ex-Bounty Hunter, the title "High on Life" which is not only metaphorical but literal, the reveal of what Kenny (the first talking gun the player finds) has done, and the final twist (which was predictable, but whatever).

The humour relies too much on primitive fuckery, and Roiland's way of speaking is a bit grating at times (especially when some of the characters other than Kenny speak that way), but there were plenty of genuinely funny moments, even those based on toilet humour (like the one involving the literal use of a mega-toilet). Breaking/not breaking the fourth wall, such as when one of the bosses asks how many hours I have in Fortnite and Minecraft, only to infer from my fighting style that I must have at least 90 hours in Rocket League... plus references to the classic Psycho Mantis fight in MGS1... in general the boss fights here are great, each one has its own uniqueness and offers a decent challenge.

The gameplay mechanics themselves work great, the gunplay is good and HoL dispenses the new weapons and gadgets at good pace, making the gameplay fun until the end (And Lezduit ftw, who needs BFG 9000 - I recommend using him even completely - completely - at the end). The option of light exploration based on treasure hunting and the ability to buy upgrades was also a pleasure. Each weapon has its own personality and is fully dubbed for all situations in the game, so you can play the game with one weapon and get its dialogue, then play it again with a different weapon in hand and the dialogue will match its personality (and Sweezy was just awesome, but JB Smoove from Curb your Enthusiasm was also a delight). There are even some secrets depending on what weapon you use, like the ability to reveal the identity of the boss Douglas beforehand.

The "elevator music" chill soundtrack also deserves a mention, it suits the game and my ears as well.

If a sequel is made, I'll be there. Though I hope they cut down on the more primitive humor. And add some more RPG elements.

Topher

Gold Member
But that wasn't the point of my post? I was making a comment about the bias toward Sony on Neogaf.

My point primarily being if this was on the PS5 the reception around here (neogaf) would be much better.

This mass generalization of the forum doesn't really work when so many here, including myself, have positive things to say about the game.

It's an Xbox console exclusive so you're going to find theres not a super high opinion on it around here. There's alot of little general complaints from people that haven't actually touched the game.

Personally I am enjoying the hell out of it. Love the little details, makes me feel like Im playing a game the creators really cared about. My only complaint would he the 3d model they used for the sister. She looks weird and out of placed compared to the rest of the game.
Your comment is bogus for many reasons and only applies to fanboys. Why do you care about the opinion of the vast minority which are Sony fanboys? Also, this isn't a Sony only forumn and you know well that there are a lot of Xbox fans here too. Having that attitude makes you look like you're adopting it so you can easily disregard criticism towards Xbox games.

How can you know whose criticism is from someone neutral towards either console that just didn't like the game and those who are fanboys who havnt played it? Judge based on the content of someone's post but dont disregard everyone as "Sony biased". Everyone has preferences that doesn't make someone biased against MS.

Having a persecution complex about a gaming brand isn't healthy either. Weed out the posts that are low effort trolling and listen to the ones that explain WHY they did or didn't like the game.

Drewpee

Banned
Your comment is bogus for many reasons and only applies to fanboys. Why do you care about the opinion of the vast minority which are Sony fanboys? Also, this isn't a Sony only forumn and you know well that there are a lot of Xbox fans here too. Having that attitude makes you look like you're adopting it so you can easily disregard criticism towards Xbox games.

How can you know whose criticism is from someone neutral towards either console that just didn't like the game and those who are fanboys who havnt played it? Judge based on the content of someone's post but dont disregard everyone as "Sony biased". Everyone has preferences that doesn't make someone biased against MS.

Having a persecution complex about a gaming brand isn't healthy either. Weed out the posts that are low effort trolling and listen to the ones that explain WHY they did or didn't like the game.
I'm not reading a wall of text lol sorry I upset you that much.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Generalizations fit whatever folks want them to.

I think the generalization applies pretty well in this thread; it just doesn't apply to you.

You seem to be one of the most neutral posters on GAF. Just because you have somewhat of a preference for PlayStation does not make you a raging Sony fanboy. I think his comment was more directed at the raging Sony fanboys all talking about how they don't like a game they haven't played. That is at least what my response to him was predicated on.

Top Bottom