• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High On Life.... I love it. Anyone else playing this gem?

octiny

Banned
Sorry, too busy playing the GOTY God of War Ragnarok Elden Ring to care about a mediocre 63 rating game.

Fixed. Unless you don't care about the vast majority of reviewers giving GOTY to Elden Ring? Which would go against your own logic in this thread about caring what the majority of reviewers say on a whole & using it as a basis for your conclusion. Can't have it both ways.

🫠

yazenov

You've misrepresented the "majority" of reviewers on Metacritic entirely and have repeatedly called the game "shit" and "a turd" without ever playing it. So you can stop this nonsense that you have been misunderstood.

What's hilarious is that in the other High on Life thread you said you were too busy playing God of War R. Here is the God of War Ragnarok OT: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/god-of-war-ragnarök-g-ot-y.1644721/ 56 pages and your post count in that thread is zero. Shouldn't you be spending your "valuable" time discussing games you are playing rather than trolling threads of games you are not?

I have a higher standard than you do apparently and games that are on the lower end of 6 are considered shit to me. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a below-average mediocre game according to Metacritic, and that my post was in response to the absurd notion that this game was overlooked was because it's not on PlayStation.

And I find it hilarious that you took the time to dig up my post history to somehow get back at me for my opinion. No wonder you have lots of free time playing below critically sub-average games.

And 2 reasons why I tend to avoid thread of games I'm playing is fear of spoilers, and the other is a don't like circle-jerking discussions.

yazenov

Fixed. Unless you don't care about the vast majority of reviewers giving GOTY to Elden Ring? Which would go against your own logic in this thread about caring what the majority of reviewers say on a whole & using it as a basis for your conclusion. Can't have it both ways.

🫠

I wasn't aware that there is a Metacritic website for GOTY awards. Nevertheless, Elden RIng is also my GOTY along with GOD so :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Topher

Gold Member
I have a higher standard than you do apparently and games that are on the lower end of 6 are considered shit to me. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a below-average mediocre game according to Metacritic, and that my post was in response to the absurd notion that this game was overlooked was because it's not on PlayStation.

Metacritic scores start at zero and end at 100 so once again you are factually incorrect about metacritic as the scores (65 and 68) are not "average", much less "below-average". Neither 65 or 68 are on the "lower end of 6" either.

Factually, based on what you call the "industry standard", the "majority of reviews" for High on Life are 7 and above which is good and the aggregate scores are above average.

And with that.....I'm done.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Started playing this on a whim and whilst it started out good I think the controls and how it’s all mapped and the encounters are super awkward and weird to play through.

I find it jarring I find myself just wanting to blast through it, may slap it on easy and call it a day.

The jokes are super repetitive as well, the off the cuff nature of it isn’t really in line with Rick and Morty which is a bit more focused the jokes and lines in this are like the same all the way though.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Since when did we give a fuck about steam reviews, as opposed to the industry standard Metacritic?
both both are good

If metacritic says the game is mid, but steam says its good i'm likely going to sum it up to the game being decent. decent games are worth playing in my eyes. that's pretty much exactly whats going on here. now if the game were mid on metacritic and mixed on steam maybe i'd stay away.
I was actually kind of hyped when i first saw it on the xbox trailer, but backlogs backlogs backlogs.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

2 hours in.

Rick and morty and community (dan harmon) fanatic here.

Guys, game is hillarious yes but beyond the game itself there are so many jokes spread around the game.

Like tv commercial and the bounty hounter forum.

Also below made me loled so hard. Like wtf? So random...

EgBwDOF.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
2 hours in.

Rick and morty and community (dan harmon) fanatic here.

Guys, game is hillarious yes but beyond the game itself there are so many jokes spread around the game.

Like tv commercial and the bounty hounter forum.

Also below made me loled so hard. Like wtf? So random...

EgBwDOF.jpg
The stupid pepperoni commercial gets me every time lol.

I finished the game yesterday and have been messing around exploring since.... Just trying to get most, if not all of the luglox and whatnot.

What a ride. Can't get the game off my mind and it was just the perfect experience for me. I love the length of the game. It keeps me craving for more. I am hotly anticipating DLC or the sequel.

The post game is kind of bland and I already have about 60% or more of the luglox and I had already done a bunch of exploring during the game. I did get that sequel tease ending and I still enjoy the actual gameplay so I'm messing around. Just having fun with it. It's funny now that I'm just exploring and getting into some minor combat stuff and being so overpowered.... I really see how limited the enemies are. Definitely something they can improve on in the sequel.

I really got attached to the characters.... Gene, Lizzie and the Gatliens. It honestly had the charm of some cheesy '80s movie (the decade I grew up in, so that's probably one of the reasons it appeals to me so much).

Also, each area could be a little larger. They seemed fine during normal gameplay but now that I'm purely exploring, I'm heading into a lot of walls here. More stuff that they can improve once they get a bigger budget and I am positive that the sequel will be an event because I believe this game is going to be carried on through word of mouth.

Part of me understands why the game is so divisive.... And another part of me is like how the hell can anybody not love this?

For me, it's a perfect 10 out of 10 game with flaws... which is a funny thing to say, but I feel like it just hits a special note with me and I hope it can be replicated with the sequel. I feel the sequel will be a better game but may lose out on the special recipe that this one seems to have for me. At least, that's my fear.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
My 3rd laugh.

Jack Black and Susan Sarandon

And I rolled the credits. Creature and Lezduit are really fun weapons and helped improve my overall thoughts on the game. The boss battles are the highlight of the game. The dull AI and lack of enemy variety really drag most of the combat encounters down and I found the humor more grating than funny the vast majority of the time.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I really enjoyed it up until Bro tron, which made me shelf the game.

I know the tac but still find it pretty hard to the point that I'm just giving up.

I'm playing for fun not to kill the same boss over and over again like dark souls.

I know the tac but still find it pretty hard to the point that I'm just giving up.

I'm playing for fun not to kill the same boss over and over again like dark souls.
What difficulty are you on? I will say that was the hardest boss in the whole game in my opinion but not hard that it kept me from progressing. It probably took me about three or four tries to beat him. Use Creature. When you can use the mind control creature and then spam these guys with the blue guys constantly. Also freeze them in time and light them up.

The_Mike

I think I am on standard difficulty.

I could try to play it on pc, but I just finding it to both having to fight the enemy as well as the controller makes it hard when I have to jump and strafe while having to actually aim at the enemy too.

Controls feels very tanky on a standard XO

Orbital2060

I think I am on standard difficulty.

I could try to play it on pc, but I just finding it to both having to fight the enemy as well as the controller makes it hard when I have to jump and strafe while having to actually aim at the enemy too.

Controls feels very tanky on a standard XO
Just use the creature gun. You dont have to aim with it, just spam the fire button in the general direction and the babies willl find their way. You got that gun previously for a reason. Save the pink mind control baby for when they split up. There is a hook thing you can enable by shooting a baby into the hole high up on the wall so you can use that to swing around too.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just use the creature gun. You dont have to aim with it, just spam the fire button in the general direction and the babies willl find their way. You got that gun previously for a reason. Save the pink mind control baby for when they split up. There is a hook thing you can enable by shooting a baby into the hole high up on the wall so you can use that to swing around too.

Creature was by far my most favorite gun. Hilarious fun.

The_Mike

OK so I tried doing it here again tonight.

It's so fucking sweaty to move around between the Slime rings and tornados while trying to shoot those small Slime things towards them.

One of the fights I managed to kill one of them but then I got nuked by the two other.

It's just not fun. I'm shelving the game. I'm probably just too bad to complete it.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

It's so fucking sweaty to move around between the Slime rings and tornados while trying to shoot those small Slime things towards them.

One of the fights I managed to kill one of them but then I got nuked by the two other.

It's just not fun. I'm shelving the game. I'm probably just too bad to complete it.

Maybe try playing with a controller

bender

What time is it?

Just use the Pikmin gun. and focus on avoiding the hazards.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I've been playing good games for a long time by doing the opposite of Eurogamer's suggestions. How they called this game "avoid" is unbelievable. It has very nice gameplay mechanics in a way I never expected because its "funny" aspects stand out. The story and the dialogues didn't interest me much, it feels like Borderlands most of the time(Kenny as Claptrap). Definitely check it out, if you have Gamepass. I don't know if I would have bought it if it wasn't on Gamepass though.

I recommend you to pick normal difficulty. Because at the highest difficulty, the health bar of the enemies increases and you have to shoot the same character 1000 more times, especially in case of failure in bosses. It's not fun that way.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So I had played this and followed it up with Postal Brain Damaged. High on Life is... fine? I guess? Very, very average. Painfully so. Some good comedic bits, but as a game it felt lackluster.

Postal Brain Damaged felt like a far better "Comedy FPS" game. Better level design, better weapons, better enemy variety, better jokes, half the length. Horde Mode - if y'all enjoy High on Life, I can't recommend Postal Brain Damaged enough. It is just a better version of that concept.

Lasha

High on life shows the potential games can have when actual writers produce them. The quality of the writing and acting surpass basically everything from the year. I felt like I was playing an episode from a tv show instead of a video game adaptation. I hope the success of high on life allowed Squanch to build upon it's solid grasp of mechanics and creativity with larger projects.

Sleepwalker

High on life shows the potential games can have when actual writers produce them. The quality of the writing and acting surpass basically everything from the year. I felt like I was playing an episode from a tv show instead of a video game adaptation. I hope the success of high on life allowed Squanch to build upon it's solid grasp of mechanics and creativity with larger projects.
I did not enjoy High on life but your point reminds me of the south park games, which basically feel like watching a long episode or movie as its made by the show creators. Writers in games could be a LOT better.

Lasha

I did not enjoy High on life but your point reminds me of the south park games, which basically feel like watching a long episode or movie as its made by the show creators. Writers in games could be a LOT better.

How could I forget south park? I've only played stick of truth but that was magical. Gamers have really low standards for writing which is weird in a world where games are pushing to be more cinematic.

Replaying it now that it got an update (it was kinda choppy before) but now I can’t get past the damn menu screen for Buck Thunder II Xenoslaughter thing at the beginning because the music is just too damn good:

Last edited:

mdkirby

I spent a weekend binge playing it. It was great. Perfect sort of game for gamespass imo. And also pretty funny. So rare games try to do humor.

RPS37

Finished it last night.
I had a pretty horrible bug on the second to last boss, but I managed to get through it.
I’d literally give it a 9. Even tho the gunplay isn’t the most fun, the graphics and writing make it for me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Spent like 20 minutes watching Death Wind. How someone decides to put something like that in a videogame is beyond me, but man is it cool. This kinda details feel so fresh and fun that it makes me wonder if the journos were high on something while reviewing High on Life to give it such low scores.

I'm loving the game, call me a simpleton or whatever but this kind of humor makes me crack like no other. That whole part with Quentin was amazing, but the game is full of moments like that.
The shooting is between good and kinda average tho, imo the shotgun being kinda shit drags the fun a bit. But it's still fun.

How's the game performing? I usually don't care about it, but man I want more game made by this people.

Topher

Gold Member
Spent like 20 minutes watching Death Wind. How someone decides to put something like that in a videogame is beyond me, but man is it cool. This kinda details feel so fresh and fun that it makes me wonder if the journos were high on something while reviewing High on Life to give it such low scores.

I'm loving the game, call me a simpleton or whatever but this kind of humor makes me crack like no other. That whole part with Quentin was amazing, but the game is full of moments like that.
The shooting is between good and kinda average tho, imo the shotgun being kinda shit drags the fun a bit. But it's still fun.

How's the game performing? I usually don't care about it, but man I want more game made by this people.

Game is still showing up as a top seller on Steam as well as in the top 20 for Xbox most played games. I'd say the game is kicking ass.

High on Life 2?

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Almost towards the end. Have no idea how this game reviewed so poorly. I hate when people complain about reviewers but I feel like I’m becoming that guy more and more.

Had the same feeling with The Ascent last year.

Top Bottom