• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy has nearly 500,000 concurrent players on Early Access at Steam alone

Bigotted transphobes the lot of them! /s

This is a game that isn't even officially out yet lmfao. The people playing right now, myself included, are people who paid more money in order to access it ASAP.

It's almost like Harry Potter is one of the biggest brands in the world and you can't just go online to wail and moan about it and expect it be "cancelled". Nobody gives a fuck about your stupid boycotts. You'll need to try a lot harder if you want to stop the force that is JK Rowling and Harry Potter.

Edit: 358k players right now

Last edited:
Harry Potter Raise Your Wand GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Really? You can't think of ANY games that are releasing this year that will beat this, one game which will enthrall STARry eyed gamers and dominate the FIELD when it comes out? 🤔

Starfield's on Game Pass, it's not gonna "sell" shit. Concurrent players will be interesting but I'm pretty sure MS doesn't release that data unless they want to make a point.

This game will be huge. Seen 3 girls on my Instagram today who never play games playing Hogwarts on their boyfriends' PS5s.

Last edited:
Bigotted transphobes the lot of them! /s

This is a game that isn't even officially out yet lmfao. The people playing right now, myself included, are people who paid more money in order to access it ASAP.

It's almost like Harry Potter is one of the biggest brands in the world and you can't just go online to wail and moan about it and expect it be "cancelled". Nobody gives a fuck about your stupid boycotts. You'll need to try a lot harder if you want to stop the force that is JK Rowling and Harry Potter.

Edit: 358k players right now

I never watched a Harry Potter movie or read any of the books growing up and I was a teen at the height of its success but the game is damn good and makes me want to actually watch the movies.

I’m sure there are tons of people like me who see this game as interesting that never was into the Potterverse and will now give them a whirl

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Damn right now its 3rd place in the most played games list, behind only Counter Strike: GO and DOTA2.

Kacho

I feel like FOMO kicks into overdrive when we get news of huge player counts and it creates this organic momentum we’re witnessing here. People not even interested in the game will likely be jumping in.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I mean, the game probably just got a boost because Babylon's Fall is shutting down at the end of this month, so it's getting run off from all of those players needing to find a new game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If those numbers are true they have a hit on PC at least. Only deluxe meaning folks paid a little more just to play. This will have strong word of mouth early on bucking the woke crowd and causing major boners worldwide at the mere thought of the salt.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Are people on suicide watch over at Reeee? How many of them are secretly playing the game?

Give them any number and they will just respond with "X transphobes I guess"

Will be the same when the game reaches 10, 20, maybe 30 million sales.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I don't know anything about HP/WW but you can clearly see that the game is a straight up love letter to the people who grew up with this story and wanted to be in it themselves. So far there's nothing particularly special about the game other than it's serious treatment of the source material in a way we've never really seen before. . . but then when you think that this game comes from folks who already have experience with licensed IPs and a larger game publisher that knows open world games based on existing IP (Batman, Tolkien) it's should probably not be a surprise that the WW has been so lovingly realized.

. . . shame about the HUD though.

Really? You can't think of ANY games that are releasing this year that will beat this, one game which will enthrall STARry eyed gamers and dominate the FIELD when it comes out? 🤔
My non game playing friends are interested in hwl, they have no clue what a starfield is

AV

the deluxe early 3 day launch will split releases in two for sure s it might not reach this number

In two :messenger_tears_of_joy: I guarantee you 50% of the people buying Hogwarts on Steam aren't buying the one that costs 20% more. A lot of the people playing this 20-80 hour game will still be playing Friday too.

PSFan

I never watched a Harry Potter movie or read any of the books growing up and I was a teen at the height of its success but the game is damn good and makes me want to actually watch the movies.

I’m sure there are tons of people like me who see this game as interesting that never was into the Potterverse and will now give them a whirl

Avoid the movies and read the books instead. Much better and deeper story. The movies cut an awful lot out of the story and after the first two movies, they weren't very faithful to the books.

AV

I'm kind of confused. I read that this was a single player game without any multiplayer or online.

It is? This number is just tracking how many people are playing on Steam right now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm kind of confused. I read that this was a single player game without any multiplayer or online.
That's correct. But when you play a game on Steam, and you're connected to the internet (even if there is no multiplayer), Steam will track that you're currently "in game". Then also track these stats in aggregate for each game.

So technically, there could be even more people playing the game in Steam's offline mode. But realistically that number is probably pretty small.

Tomi

This is probably biggest game in this year, it will shatter all records!

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Noticed 9 of my PS friends had it preordered, anyway started last night. Seems decent but had a hard time deciding on what cornrow style to use on my 19th C Malfoy

Top Bottom