• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Still at the start but Jesus this game is good. Even if you don’t like Harry Potter (didn’t myself) this game is fantatic!

Peroroncino

MRW female character says the word "wandwork"

thats-what-she-said-michael-nodding-a2doo62d95oknu73.gif

Cyberpunkd

So the
innkeeper is a trans character?
That's the only woke thing bothering me when I'm listening to them talking and they're not just a minor character.
Hey, when the world moved on from "token black person" they had to find a substitute, right? Personally I think they should have made trans rights a part of the main quest and say YOLO to everyone, but again - you need to show you care, without really caring much.

Osthyvel

Awsome ot, this will be a lively tread 😁

Me body is ready for Friday and weekend, i am really looking forward to play "that wizard game" 😂

Played 3 hours so far and had a good time. I know the drama wasn't necessarily about the game but it looks even more absurd now I've played it as the game is so wholesome and whimsical.

Being picky the UI is poor and should have adaptive elements like H:FW where it's only there when you need it. The gear is poor like AC Odyssey where you are spammed with crap loot but at least it has transmog so you can look slick as hell.

Can drop below 60fps in performance mode on PS5 and the screen space effects draw in like 25% away from the edge of the screen (SSAO is the worst as it draws in so blatantly as you move the camera) but otherwise a nice looking game. Not at the very top tier but really nice nonetheless.

Combat seems good so far like magical version of Spider-Man where it is fairly basic in principle but controls really well and looks slick once you get the hang of it.

Hogwarts itself is insane. If you are a HP fan it could be worth the price of admission just to walk around the school.

Amazing difference :messenger_tongue:
EiFrQ8o.png

I was just watching that video

I really need someone to tell me why the fuck would I use RT and I generally like RT when its used properly. Even the reflections, are absolute dogshit because how shit the SSR is used in the game. Its the same as Midnight Suns, half-assed. We had fucking mirror reflections in games 15 years ago but now its no longer possible without RT lmao. Shadows look like dogshit

Reckheim

RTX in this game is pretty disappointing (no global illumination that is, I could care less about reflections). Probably will just get the ps5 version for the nicer HDR.

Last edited:
Can uhmm... someone please confirm? :D
vOlTA9x.jpg
If this is true this is hilarious and should be applauded.
This is canon as it happens in the books.

"I wonder if Hermione's seen this yet?' Harry said, looking around at the door to the girls' dormitories. 'Let's go and tell her, said Ron. He bounded forward, pulled open the door, and set off up the spiral staircase. He was on the sixth stair when it happened. There was a loud, wailing, klaxonlike sound and the steps melted together to make a long, smooth stone slide. There was a brief moment when Ron tried to keep running, arms working madly like windmills, then he toppled over backward and shot down the newly created slide, coming to rest on his back at Harry's feet. 'Er — I don’t think we're allowed in the girls' dormitories,' said Harry"

The reason given is that the people who built Hogwarts, in the year 993, believed that girls were more trustworthy than boys. So, Hermione could visit Harry/Ron in their dormitory but Harry and Ron weren't allowed in the girls.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Played 3 hours so far and had a good time. I know the drama wasn't necessarily about the game but it looks even more absurd now I've played it as the game is so wholesome and whimsical.

It is indeed incredibly wholesome. Just good vibes all around.

Just went to Ollivander, that whole segment is so silly because it's 100% cosmetic but I absolutely love how much time you can spend customizing your own perfect wand.

Truly a love letter to the books, the movies and to all the fans.

Last edited:
It is indeed incredibly wholesome. Just good vibes all around.

Just went to Ollivander, that whole segment is so silly because it's 100% cosmetic but I absolutely love how much time you can spend customizing your own perfect wand.

Truly a love letter to the books, the movies and to all the fans.
I'm happy we can make our own wands!

Whitecrow

Banned
This is canon as it happens in the books.

"I wonder if Hermione's seen this yet?' Harry said, looking around at the door to the girls' dormitories. 'Let's go and tell her, said Ron. He bounded forward, pulled open the door, and set off up the spiral staircase. He was on the sixth stair when it happened. There was a loud, wailing, klaxonlike sound and the steps melted together to make a long, smooth stone slide. There was a brief moment when Ron tried to keep running, arms working madly like windmills, then he toppled over backward and shot down the newly created slide, coming to rest on his back at Harry's feet. 'Er — I don’t think we're allowed in the girls' dormitories,' said Harry"

The reason given is that the people who built Hogwarts, in the year 993, believed that girls were more trustworthy than boys. So, Hermione could visit Harry/Ron in their dormitory but Harry and Ron weren't allowed in the girls.
The stairs may have a bad time if some man identifies as a woman.
JK transphobia confirmed.

Just finished my first visit to Hogsmeade. ten year old me would have cried tears of joy visiting all the shops, making a wand and getting a nice drink at the three broomsticks afterwards.
Seriously what a beautiful game.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Hopefully the game is still easily playable like that, without the "stand in this exact spot that you have no way of knowing unless you use the minimap" quests.
There is an element of “gamification” still in place now and then, but you can avoid the minimap entirely. If you press up on the d-pad on console, it throws down a breadcrumb trail for you to follow if you are stuck. One quest, I was told to “do some tasks” but the giver didn’t clearly tell me what those tasks were.

To be honest, it’s not that much more obtuse than Elden Ring was but there’s a way to avoid having a persistent HUD.

GHG

Gold Member
My sound system. The game is outputting in Atmos.

That's not what I'm asking and you know it.

I can make my sound system output in Atmos even if the source isn't atmos. I'm asking you to show me where they've confirmed the game's audio is mastered in atmos and on what platforms. Usually if the game supports atmos on Xbox then it also will on PC but I can't see any information anywhere about this.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Doesn't support it so don't know what you're jealous about.

If you have a decent atmos setup then it will have a decent AI upmixer to get your overheads pumping.
I'm jealous that XBSX knocks out games in Dolby Atmos and that my PS5 doesn't.

The Atmos in the XSX version is great.

The game outputs in Atmos.

Nice surprise after Dead Space which just output in LPCM.

My sound system. The game is outputting in Atmos.

I'm only going by what this gentleman is saying.

gFNyN9d.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's not what I'm asking and you know it.

I can make my sound system output in Atmos even if the source isn't atmos. I'm asking you to show me where they've confirmed the game's audio is mastered in atmos and on what platforms. Usually if the game supports atmos on Xbox then it also will on PC but I can't see any information anywhere about this.

I'm setup so it just passes through whatever the game is outputting. So even though I have my XSX set for Atmos, if something is only in LPCM like the Dead Space remake it'll just output that.

Luipadre

Just reached Hogsmeade. This game is so incredible well made it blows my mind. Hi fi rush into this... this year is off to an amazing start

GHG

Gold Member
I'm jealous that XBSX knocks out games in Dolby Atmos and that my PS5 doesn't.

I'm only going by what this gentleman is saying.

gFNyN9d.gif

Base things on what he says at your peril.

Hogwarts Legacy:

9cXryYL.png

Vs a game that does support it (Hi Fi Rush):

b7dX3D8.png

I'm setup so it just passes through whatever the game is outputting. So even though I have my XSX set for Atmos, if something is only in LPCM like the Dead Space remake it'll just output that.

Well that explains it.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...on-atmos/81a9f11e-53d7-4c79-9b6c-0113950d60db

Klik

Based on positive reviews its probably gonna be a good game but i keep thinking how amazing it would be if the game was made for current gen only,8 core CPU, RTX 2080 equivalent and SSD.

I still think AAA games released 2 years after new console generation shouldn't be crossgen..

Top Bottom