• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

ManaByte

Gold Member
I have the game on all three platforms. Going to probably do a Dark Arts run on the PS5 version.
iOlJj7A.jpg
3VN9wYT.jpg
8murDX7.jpg

BFIB

My first post here since GAF went through that time a few years back. Did the move to ERA like most, been banned a few times, one was really suspect and even argued w/ the mods after showing proof, but wouldn't lift my ban. I mostly just live on the wrestling threads and baseball discord anymore. Anyway, I have been in the dark on this game, but damn these reviews are tempting me to grab it. I did ask one friend I have who is trans, but a huge Harry Potter fan on their thoughts. It's been bittersweet for them because they love the universe, but hate the person behind it. They are getting the game mainly because of the
addition of a trans character

Pagusas

Elden Member
My first post here since GAF went through that time a few years back. Did the move to ERA like most, been banned a few times, one was really suspect and even argued w/ the mods after showing proof, but wouldn't lift my ban. I mostly just live on the wrestling threads and baseball discord anymore. Anyway, I have been in the dark on this game, but damn these reviews are tempting me to grab it. I did ask one friend I have who is trans, but a huge Harry Potter fan on their thoughts. It's been bittersweet for them because they love the universe, but hate the person behind it. They are getting the game mainly because of the
Welcome back!

Luipadre

Wish there was a photo mode. I really hope its coming soon after lunch. Game just looks incredible in fidelity mode. There is so much shit you can interact with its insane and everything is detailed and animated so well

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You HAVE to have your XSX set to Atmos for games that support Atmos. If you actually owned or used the system you'd know that.

And that's exactly the same way it works on PC (if I don't have it set this way then playing things that support atmos wont output atmos):

R1nih8c.png

However this is what also happens as a result:

rikyc3D.jpg

Everything is "atmos" regardless of source, this is me just chilling on the desktop with the control panel open.

And this is also what everyone else using Xbox gets:

They should have a "match content" setting (in the same way that the Apple TV 4k does) but they don't and this is the result, you get mismatched content/audio.

Dr_Ifto

THis game has a lot of rewards for stuff, like on twitch and linking your account to other things. Too much signing up IMO.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Played for three hours after the unlock. It’s solid fun, lots of little things to uncover in the castle and certainly more once you get a larger repertoire of spells. Combat is sufficient. The gear has a lot of charming aesthetics. Might actually get me to read the books afterwards.
django-innkeeper.gif

Whoa whoa whoa there buddy! Let’s not do anything drastic here.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’m having a blast, can’t imagine how much fun someone that actually likes Harry Potter would be having. Last movie I saw had some guy with a fake eye turning into a rat or some shit. Honestly don’t remember much about any of it. Still a wonderful game, think red dead 2 was the last game I got these vibes from.

TrebleShot

Question for anyone waiting for the PC unlock (digital deluxe), mine just says Hogwarts Legacy and release on the 10th, assuming that will change at 5pm?

Gans

Neo Member
Super excited for this! I hope my old PC can still manage to output some decent performance otherwise will refund and go for PS5, I just didn't want to miss on the option to play it on the deck...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just didn't want to miss on the option to play it on the deck...
When they announced that it'd be Deck verified, that's what swayed me to choosing PC. I've got my PC hooked up to my TV as well, so that gives me the option to play on the couch, in the gaming chair at my PC, or on the go.

Filben

thinking of getting it for PS5 instead of PC because I've heard about some glitches and graphical issues and it's another one on PC these days...

Anyone has more info on this topic? How is the Ray tracing in the game?

SJRB

Gold Member
Is the gear bugged or am I missing something? I've unlocked some gloves and got a bunch of stuff from the deluxe edition but don't see anything in the gear menu.

Or does this unlock after a certain point?

[I've just returned from Hogsmeade, story-wise].

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Welcome home, brother.

Flabagast

How is the writing of side quests, and the content of these in itself (are they just fetch quests or more fleshed out ?) Reviews seem to not align on this topic.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
thinking of getting it for PS5 instead of PC because I've heard about some glitches and graphical issues and it's another one on PC these days...

Anyone has more info on this topic? How is the Ray tracing in the game?
The PC version doesn't unlock for another few hours. We'll know more then on real world performance, ray tracing performance under real conditions, etc.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is the gear bugged or am I missing something? I've unlocked some gloves and got a bunch of stuff from the deluxe edition but don't see anything in the gear menu.

They're in the appearances menu.

Gans

Neo Member
When they announced that it'd be Deck verified, that's what swayed me to choosing PC. I've got my PC hooked up to my TV as well, so that gives me the option to play on the couch, in the gaming chair at my PC, or on the go.
I just feel my 2060 will really struggle with it, but whatever, hopefully it can output decent 1080p and play with that one way or another!

Rengoku

Kinda split between PC or PS5, does anyone know how well dualsense haptics are implemented for this game? Are they worth picking PS5 over PC for?

Meicyn

Gold Member

In the gear screen, when you mouseover a type of gear, instead of clicking to change the gear, there is an option to change the appearance to what you want.

It’s honestly really bad UI design since it’s not apparent unless you slow down a moment to look for it.

SJRB

Gold Member
They're in the appearances menu.

In the gear screen, when you mouseover a type of gear, instead of clicking to change the gear, there is an option to change the appearance to what you want.

It’s honestly really bad UI design since it’s not apparent unless you slow down a moment to look for it.

Wow that is indeed pretty bad design. I never would've found that on my own.

What a weird way of doing this.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Wow that is indeed pretty bad design. I never would've found that on my own.

What a weird way of doing this.
It gets worse, unfortunately.

The customized appearance only applies to the gear you are actively wearing. Every time you change your gear due to upgrades, you have to reapply your customization.

Such a weird oversight for what is so far, an incredibly detailed game. Or maybe they just ran out of time, who knows.

Raven117

Well, the hype got me. Can wait for Friday though while I finish HiFi Rush.

So...impressions? As in., is this a fun open world? Hell, if its an Assassins Creed game with a Harry Potter skin, I'd be happy. Looking for something kinda chill.

jshackles

Such a weird oversight for what is so far, an incredibly detailed game. Or maybe they just ran out of time, who knows.
Personally, I find it weirdly... charming? that it feels like cosmetics like this were a total afterthought to the game.

MirageMew2

Kinda split between PC or PS5, does anyone know how well dualsense haptics are implemented for this game? Are they worth picking PS5 over PC for?
Best-in-class haptics since Demons Souls personally. The casting sends tingles to the right side of the controller and plants you stand on or by have varying rumble effects

Meicyn

Gold Member
Personally, I find it weirdly... charming? that it feels like cosmetics like this were a total afterthought to the game.
It very well might have been. Honestly it’s no big deal, I’m just really amazed at how the dev team nailed it. This game is to Harry Potter what Arkham Asylum was for Batman, they nailed the atmosphere and the feeling of immersion. Walking around a fully realized Hogwarts at your own pace is just incredible. Even the menu music when you’re checking your gear or reviewing information is incredible.

Hope we see some more in this universe in a future game, with the same level of passion and care.

phant0m

As I understand it, the haptics are frequent and well implemented, but the DualSense is supported on PC too!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The next game will take place in the future. Cyberwizards.
You say that in jest, but you know that would be awesome.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if there would be a point in the Harry Potter/Hogwarts timeline where tech is as/or more powerful than magic. That would be a cool concept, I think.

Last edited:

jshackles

I’m curious on Deck perf. Share your impressions when you’re ready to pls.
Wish I could dude, but I'm just a pleb with the standard edition that'll have to wait until Friday to play.

SCB3

I'm afew hours in now and I realised something, the amount of diversity is a little off-putting compared to the books/films, theres a bit too much if that makes sense, almost as if when everyone is a minority, are they even a minority anymore? For whats supposed to be 1800's England, its kinda out of place

but whatever Wizards....

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm afew hours in now and I realised something, the amount of diversity is a little off-putting compared to the books/films, theres a bit too much if that makes sense, almost as if when everyone is a minority, are they even a minority anymore? For whats supposed to be 1800's England, its kinda out of place

but whatever Wizards....
Wow, imagine being so bothered by seeing black and brown people in your fantasy wizard simulator game
j/k yeah it can be a bit much but I tend to give something a pass if it’s a children’s story… as long as they don’t like, make all the bad guys white, and all the minorities super sympathetic and likeable

Luipadre

those are not actual gear but transmog stuff. Press square on an item and you can change its appearance

kiryani

but whatever Wizards....

I was nitpicking earlier about Galleons being the only currency, and too many of them.

Then I decided, because the game is absolutely incredible. I could head canon that there was an event that happened between the game and the books, that changed the currency in the wizarding world.

For a game this detailed, full of this much love, we can make exceptions to our nit picks I think.

DosGamer

Picking up my copy today after work. Totally excited to see what this game offers. I have been looking forward to a game that I can really get involved with that is a bit different. This is about a different as you can get in terms of combat.

Top Bottom