• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Which one and house would that be? I don't mind spoilers. Thanks.

There is a story location you reach after a couple of hours, the trophy that unlocks then is different for each of the 4 houses, so you need to do 4 partial play throughs of the game to platinum.

This happens around 2, 3 hours into the game so you don't need to do full runs, just partial until you reach that point.

It's like getting a trophy for finishing each species origin in Dragon Age: Origins.

Peroroncino

Just hit level 34 and finished the main game so to speak.

Was a fantastic journey though not quite on the level of The Witcher 3 or Elden Ring.

I did like the depth in the combat as you learned what spells worked well with each other and special tactics vs certain enemies. Cursing a crowd and annihilating them all with Avada Kedavra was very satisfying.
BWXiTbR.jpg

Name chosen in honour of the absolute triggering this game caused to both camps extremists.

My next character will be male and called: Chud Transdottir

Stainless

Last night I rolled through a dungeon with my guy Sebastian on a quest and we reach a room that spawns a big mob of spiders. At start of the fight, a big spider comes out....so I imperio the big guy, crucio a regular spider, go invisible and watch the big spider fight all the other spiders. Soon as imperio cooldown cleared, I imperio another spider. Sitting back undetected and watching a big mob of spiders fight each other was honestly very entertaining. I also used it to make two big trolls fight each other 1v1 and make a troll smash a bunch of spiders. At the end, Sebastian and I were literally keeping the last spider airborne bouncing it and depulso'ing it back and forth across the room like a game of spider-volleyball.

I asked an acquaintance if she was getting the game, knowing full well that she probably wasn't. This was after she asked me what good games were out or coming out. She then said she wasn't going to give any of that bigot money and also threw in the antisemitism claim alongside JK being a terf. 🙄

At least she's still chatty with me, lol.

yamaci17

I've finished the game. I wanted to %100 it but I gave up

3 more achivements for 3 other houses where you need to play all the way up to the map chamber section in hogwarts. nope.

apparently butterflies also count towards %100 completion through "Collections". and I miss 2 of them out of 15. There are some maps online but this is too much.

then comes the biggest problematic of it: use ancient magic (r1+l1 combo) on every enemy type. for starters, I never used this combo too much. my build was focused on swapping spell sets constantly and using a lot of ancient throw instead (which does not count towards the damned achievement). now I have no idea out of 34 type of enemies which ones I used L1+R1 combo.

well there it is at 40/45, I'm ending my journey. I will visit the hogwarts a bit more since I still see some random events occur! They are fun too. Like Black stopping some Slytherin from bullying a Hufflepuff.

overall game was great ! I enjoyed it a lot.

ABeezy1388

For it being the Forbidden Forest, there sure is a lot of going in and out of it with other students ..
I thought the same thing lol! I will say they’ve done a great job with this game but the forbidden forest is a miss for me. Comparing it to the books it seems way less “creepy or harmful” and for sure way less “forbidden” lol

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Son. Of. A. Witch. They kept using the phrase "Ancient Magic" and somehow in my lizard brain I combined that with "Dark Magic" from the spell menu and was just waiting around for them to FINALLY give me some Dark Side temptation. Like I'm well into Winter and I wasn't getting it. Oh well.

. . .that said, casting CRUCIO is wildly satisfying. Shame about the tortured wailing and begging though.

WTF those little monkey statues seemed suspicious and i tried to do something with them but it seems i still haven't "Unlocked them". i need to really start focusing on the main quest to unlock shit. the game has been out for over a week now and i'm still way behind lol. i still don't have Alohomora.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One thing I'm not sure I consider a good thing or bad thing yet, just something I'm not used to: you're still learning spells well into the game. When I first started the game I figured I'd learn them all within the first few hours and have them all at my disposal, but that's not how this game does it.

I asked an acquaintance if she was getting the game, knowing full well that she probably wasn't. This was after she asked me what good games were out or coming out. She then said she wasn't going to give any of that bigot money and also threw in the antisemitism claim alongside JK being a terf. 🙄

At least she's still chatty with me, lol.
Ask her what makes JKR a bigot or anti-semitic. See if she comes up with a convincing answer.

One thing I'm not sure I consider a good thing or bad thing yet, just something I'm not used to: you're still learning spells well into the game. When I first started the game I figured I'd learn them all within the first few hours and have them all at my disposal, but that's not how this game does it.
To be fair, it is a game set at a school.

Would you go to school expecting to learn everything in the first few months? You would be learning shit all through the year and the year after and the year after (Hogwarts goes to 7th year).

Last edited:
I totally don't get the anti-semitic part. The goblins are not the Jews. They are just goblins.
They are just pulling shit out their arses, throwing it against the wall, and hoping it makes some sense.

At no point in all the years I've read Harry Potter did I ever think for a second that JKR was anti-semitic. Probably the most controversial race in the books are house elfs because they are seen to be enslaved by magical people.

Krathoon

There is kind of a subjugation of the goblins by taking away their wands, but they did that with all magical creatures.

That is the reason why a lot of them sided with Voldemort.

Last edited:

Hosam6xavi

Banned
Zelda will have a tough competition with Hogwarts legacy for the GOTY

I didn't even use fast travel even once. Amazing game with magical world

GymWolf

They really fucked up badly in the loot department.

They should have put more things than just dresses with minimal stat increase.

Let me find stuff for the wand or new wands with cool effects and other stuff.

Also the rarity is kinda useless since you can find orange items everywhere and not only in selected chest hard to find.

Ask her what makes JKR a bigot or anti-semitic. See if she comes up with a convincing answer.

To be fair, it is a game set at a school.

Would you go to school expecting to learn everything in the first few months? You would be learning shit all through the year and the year after and the year after (Hogwarts goes to 7th year).
I told her I hadn't heard the anti-semitic nonsense and asked her where she did. She sent me some article by Jon Stewart, lol.

Moneal

They really fucked up badly in the loot department.

They should have put more things than just dresses with minimal stat increase.

Let me find stuff for the wand or new wands with cool effects and other stuff.

Also the rarity is kinda useless since you can find orange items everywhere and not only in selected chest hard to find.
Yea loot is the biggest failing of the game, both in the loot itself and the inventory. I believe they wanted the lot system to be very simple, since they only have 2 stats, to appeal to as many people as possible especially HP fans that weren't big gamers.

adamsapple

Cursed Spells:

Holy shit, the killing curse is OP. I just beat the final boss in one of the sub quest chain, a guy with a huge health bar, with one hit of it which brought his bar down 99% and just took one regular hit to kill him afterward.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Tips for the Alohamora lockpicking mini game? I'm usual comfortable woth these type of minigames but I can't for the love of God understand what I'm supposed to do to unlock the lock lol

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Tips for the Alohamora lockpicking mini game? I'm usual comfortable woth these type of minigames but I can't for the love of God understand what I'm supposed to do to unlock the lock lol

Each stick controls a corresponding colored gear wheel: green, or red. I rotate one stick slowly until I find the spot it's supposed to be in - the applicable gear will light up and begin turning. Hold that stick there, then do the other. Once both are in the right place they just need to spin for about 1.5, 2 seconds concurrently and it unlocks.

It is super easy and almost muscle memory once you've done it a few times.

Last edited:
Rotate the right stick until the gear on the right lights up green and spins, then hold it there and rotate the left stick until the gear in the middle lights up red and spins, then hold it for a couple seconds.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Some one playing it with Fidelity Mode? I tried to change control setting but it feels very floaty und unresponsible. Any tipps?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My PS5 keeps taking screenshots in JPG when HDR is enabled. I was wondering why my shots look like blurry butts. Anyway, I think I may finally be done with my swag after finding new gloves.

I also apparently have the most rare Patronus, the ragdoll cat, #20 out of #20. They don't even have a description of it on the Wizarding World site. :messenger_unamused:

4EEjgth.png

gp8yVE1.png

Last edited:

Stainless

Turn the sticks somewhat slowly until you see the gear start to move, then go back to the exact spot where it started to move. It will literally light up with a colored light and give you an audible "CHING" when you're at the right spot. Then just hold it for about 2 seconds.

The left one will have a red light that will come on right in the middle of the screw-head. The right one will have a bright green light that pops on. They both do the CHING. hope this helps

ABeezy1388

Just watch this:

It helped me and now they are sooooooo easy. The game just sucks at explaining it properly.

Not sure how it is on other platforms, but on XSX I just turn each stick until it vibrates and then hold it there. Don't even have to pay attention to what's happening on screen. lol

ManaByte

I’m stuck. I finished the Shadow of the Mine main quest but haven’t got the next main quest in my log. Is there a level requirement? I’m 26.

Edit: Solved it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I’m stuck. I finished the Shadow of the Mine main quest but haven’t got the next main quest in my log. Is there a level requirement? I’m 26.

Edit: Solved it.

Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the next step to become available, happened to me a few times too.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just hit level 34 and finished the main game so to speak.

Was a fantastic journey though not quite on the level of The Witcher 3 or Elden Ring.

I did like the depth in the combat as you learned what spells worked well with each other and special tactics vs certain enemies. Cursing a crowd and annihilating them all with Avada Kedavra was very satisfying.
BWXiTbR.jpg

Name chosen in honour of the absolute triggering this game caused to both camps extremists.
Love the name haha

Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the next step to become available, happened to me a few times too.
Another thing is be sure to check the owl mail and clear it all.

There was owl mail later in the game for me that should have played automatically but didn’t, and a bunch of quests popped suddenly by checking them all when I was wondering why I didn’t have quests lol (it was a good time to level though 😅)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Another thing is be sure to check the owl mail and clear it all.

There was owl mail later in the game for me that should have played automatically but didn’t, and a bunch of quests popped suddenly by checking them all when I was wondering why I didn’t have quests lol, it was a good time to level though 😅.

Oh yeah that's happened to me a few times too, a bunch of times I wouldn't even know there were unread own mails unless I opened the options menu and saw the exclamation mark against the owl mail segment.

nani17

are in a big trouble
the fucking dialogue at times can be annoying.

"Hello, my name is Talks too much. My sole purpose is to talk too much and add random dialogue to make the game seem longer. I'll mention that you're a new student and then talk about what I do followed by more random BS. Not only that I'll talk about one of your teachers or the school. Now I understand you just came here to pick up one item and just want to leave but I'm not going to make it that easy for you at all. Once you tell me the item you came to pick up I'll tell you all about it and again some more random BS, again adding to the overall talking too much dialogue.

When you leave here you will meet another person who will go through a very similar pattern I just went through and you'll have to do it again and again for the sole purpose of making things seem longer than the really should."

Last edited:
Top Bottom