• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West - Gameplay Trailer

MastaKiiLA

That’s literally what it is. Nothing there is beyond what they are doing on PS4 except a couple of settings turned a few notches up and the character rim lights. Looks really good but Ratchet and Clank gives me a more can’t be rendered on PS4 feeling without massive cutbacks in geometry, texture quality and features.
This is why I don't take these claims seriously. You're essentially ripping one, and praising another, for the exact same fucking thing. What is not possible with last gen for R&C is the level loading. You could do it, but you have to slash the visual budget. Well, it's the same thing for any of the cross-gen titles. They're putting more visuals on the screen than the last-gen consoles, and that's largely it.

Without the level streaming, R&C would be a PS4 game with "a couple of settings turned a few notches up." If introducing gameplay mechanics that aren't possible on last-gen is the definition of next-gen, then 99% of all next-gen games will be disqualified. 99% of games will just be last-gen mechanics with a face-lift. I see some people saying HB2 looks amazing, and HFW looks cross-gen, and vice-versa. You can only get such polarized opinions when the contents being compared look equally good, and bias takes the wheel. HB2 is next-gen only. HFW is cross-gen. Both are going to look tits. Both are next-gen, because all next-gen is is more horsepower to pump up the effects. You don't need better hardware to introduce new gameplay concepts. That's always been a developer limitation.

What I find even funnier about all the graphics comparisons going around today is that Dokev was probably the most next-gen looking game shown so far, and no one is jizzing over it because it's a k-pop game. Visually, though, it's the most-impressive console game I've seen thus far. Maybe that's just me.

arvfab

Banned
What I find even funnier about all the graphics comparisons going around today is that Dokev was probably the most next-gen looking game shown so far, and no one is jizzing over it because it's a k-pop game. Visually, though, it's the most-impressive console game I've seen thus far. Maybe that's just me.

My reasons for keeping my pants on, is actually because

1) We don't know if it will look like that on consoles
2) We have to hope it's no vaporware

Same reason for Crimson Desert, actually.

tmlDan

Well the game is crossgen so...

It looks at least on par if not better than ratchet\demons remake while being a full fledged open world game with probably most stuff on screen than both those games, for being a crossgen i think guerrilla delivered big time in terms of raw graphic here.

The game having barely any improvement in physics\destruction\enviromental interaction is what stands out more.

The snow looks the same as frozen wild, the sand is basically yellow snow even if sand doesn't act like snow at all, not all the vegetation react to external forces, destruction is still limited to trees, rocks and plants in the open world etc.

Not that ratchet and demons do any better in those departments tbh...
I think we just have higher expectations of Guerrilla and its a shame we have to wait for their next game to see that potential.

The game is still beautiful either way

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Hard to believe we will be playing this game in just 70 days.

Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

sircaw

Banned
Can't wait tbh, loved the first

The game looks fantastic and more importantly a lot of fun.

Love the new machine's and that liopleurodon looking creature in the water gives me hope for a megalodon

Blockbuster inc.

GymWolf

I think we just have higher expectations of Gorilla and its a shame we have to wait for their next game to see that potential.

Lol tell me about it...horizon was my gotg so imagine how mad i am that the sequel is a fucking crossgen...

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
This is why I don't take these claims seriously. You're essentially ripping one, and praising another, for the exact same fucking thing. What is not possible with last gen for R&C is the level loading. You could do it, but you have to slash the visual budget. Well, it's the same thing for any of the cross-gen titles. They're putting more visuals on the screen than the last-gen consoles, and that's largely it.
Don’t really care what you take or don’t take seriously. The game looks like a really good cross gen game to me, it’s the nature of it being literally cross gen. I just finished both Ratchet and Clank and Horizon Zero Dawn back to back and Forbidden west looks like more of the same with things turned up a notch with improved rendering and level design. They can’t do things in the game that PS4 couldn’t handle. The geometry density is not going to be a massive jump between the 2, the major difference is going to come from LOD management and draw distance. General lighting is going to be the same with PS5 having the fore mentioned rim light. If you disagree that’s ok too.

Kssio_Aug

Damn... this game is shaping to look much better than I initially expected it would. Impressive gifs.

Did they show combat against humans? That's probably my number 1 issue with the 1st game.

GymWolf

It does look insane and gameplay no doubt as great as the first

But Im still concerned they are shying away from showing the RPG elements. I was hoping they'd lean into that way more
I have something small but juicy for you then (its not my dick, stop salivating), in the latest sony update with a lot of gifs, there is one where aloy use the tripcaster to set a trap, but unlike the old tripcaster in horizon 1, she onky need to shot on the ground one time instead of 2 to set the trap, this is probably the perk system in action, some weapons are gonna have unique perks to differentiate from each other, this is alreadymuch better thanjust having green tier, purple tier etc.

No need to say how just that small perk improve that weapon considerably because it can be now used while actively attacking something instead of being used as preparation before the fight because you can just shot on the ground one time with far less time waste.

Last edited:

Lupin25

I think we just have higher expectations of Gorilla and its a shame we have to wait for their next game to see that potential.

GG’s next game is in production so we won’t have to wait too long.

Unfortunate, it won’t be HFW, but hopefully it’s even better.

This looks a lot better and more interesting than the original game. I enjoyed the first one and got a platinum, but wished it had a bit more variety in gameplay, but considering it was a new IP for Guerilla Games after making FPS goes for a decade or so I think it was more than acceptable.

Visuals here look pretty crazy for a cross gen game, then again Guerilla Games were always tech gods in their own ways so I am not surprised. I also do prefer the more colorful look here.

I am more hyped now than I was before when the sequel was just announced.

Kokoloko85

Looks good.
I hope they fix some of the previous issues like boring NPC’s, mostly lifeless uninteractive towns. No memorable locations or side quests and bad melee combat.

The new melee looks alot better but the rest we’’ll have to see. I really enjoyed the combat with unique enemies and the lore and overall world design.
I also still wish it was a PS5 exclusive….

GymWolf

This looks a lot better and more interesting than the original game. I enjoyed the first one and got a platinum, but wished it had a bit more variety in gameplay, but considering it was a new IP for Guerilla Games after making FPS goes for a decade or so I think it was more than acceptable.

Visuals here look pretty crazy for a cross gen game, then again Guerilla Games were always tech gods in their own ways so I am not surprised. I also do prefer the more colorful look here.

I am more hyped now than I was before when the sequel was just announced.
How many open world with a tps combat has more variety in weapons and enemies?! Ubisoft stuff?

Tripcaster and ropecaster were both pretty original as weapons, same for the tear blaster arrows, and i really don't need to specify why enemies were incredible compared to most open world (or tps really).

For a first attempt i thought the game had more than enough variety tbh.

cormack12

Gold Member
Guerilla are a great studio, always have been with their tech. I had credit so already got this bad boy purchased so I don't have to worry about it when it drops.

axg8rI.jpg

I think the issue is though that it's the last gen memory budget for animations and poly count that will limit the next gen version. You might have a watcher that has 100 polygons as an example with four of them on screen in Forbidden West on PS4. With a bigger poly budget on PS5, you might be able to stick eight of them on screen on the PS5 but it's the same model detail. Things like texture detail, LoD, draw distance are easier to change to max that budget out for most gains with least effort.

Similar with animations, they aren't going to remocap or double up workload because PS5 has more memory to store more complex transitions. You'll get the same animations in the PS4 version. Stuff like what Fifa is doing with ML and AI tweens can possily mask this but Aloy isn't going to walk more fluidly or have a smoother/double stage nokking animation.

Game will still be straight up fire but it's design is rooted on last gen consoles, and it's visuals are too. Engine improvements, refined techniques and new techniques will all give a little boost to visuals but when you see what Guerilla or even Naughty Dog with the PS5 as their only target SKU I think your eyes will melt compared to this.

How many open world with a tps combat has more variety in weapons and enemies?! Ubisoft stuff?

Tripcaster and ropecaster were both pretty original as weapons, same for the tear blaster arrows, and i really don't need to specify why enemies were incredible compared to most open world (or tps really).

For a first attempt i thought the game had more than enough variety tbh.
I don't know, the first game felt very Far Cryish to me. Even the weapon wheel and crafting was basically identically. Nothing wrong with that, it worked for the game. But for some reason the game felt a bit repetitive, I finished it for the story and platinum. I enjoyed of what I played, but I don't think it was mind blowing, but for a new IP it was more than good.

The universe, art and the tech is what carried this game imo. Yeah, weapons were cool and the dinos were great. The sequel seems to build up on what made the first game good, but is also adding more variety, better traversal.

My favorite Dino was the Snapjaw. Also, I think the story could of been a bit better told. For me it was a 8/10 which I consider a solid title.

Well there is currently no better looking console game released on consoles than R&C. Maybe Demon's Souls and a bit behind Forza Horizon 5 come close.

For upcoming stuff, this clearly looks better. Maybe Spider-Man 2, but it's so far away, I don't really count it.

PS: I'm not counting the really impressive Matrix tech demo, until they make a proper game out of it.
If that's your opinion, then who am I to judge. That's definitely not my take as far current gen games goes, but there's nothing wrong with different opinions. "Better looking" is subjective by nature after all.

GymWolf

My heart stopped when she jumped off the mountain into those flying glinthawks.

then she landed without flying and cried myself to sleep.
I must be the only one who is not really hyped for flying mounts...

To me they just make the world feel small and how many games have FUN flying mechanics\combat? Almost none.

Tbh i'm not even a gigantic fan of the underwater stuff...usually this stuff is half hassed\not fun in most open world games and i don't expect nothing revolutionary from guerrilla neither.

Gimme 15 new dinobots to fight and 10 more story missions instead of air\water sections and i'm okay with that.

Last edited:
I mist be the only one who is not really hyped for flying mounts...

To me they jist make the world feel small and how many devs have FUN fluing mechanics\combat?

Tbh i'm not even a gigantic fan of the underwater stuff...usually this stuff is half hassed in most open world games.

Gimme 15 new dinobots to fight and 10 more story missions instead of air\water sections and i'm okay with that.
Same, flying kind of makes all the other traversal trivial. Like grappling hook and the glider look so much more interesting than just soaring over everything, it takes away 99% of the actual game.

Last edited:

SSfox

My heart stopped when she jumped off the mountain into those flying glinthawks.

then she landed without flying and cried myself to sleep.
Yeah same for a moment i though she's gonna ride one of the glinthawks. Hopefully they're just saving this for the ultimate launch trailer.

GymWolf

Same, flying kind of makes all the other traversal trivial. Like grappling hook and the glider look so much more interesting than just soaring over everything, it takes away 99% of the actual game.
You are never gonna see a poll about best traversal mechanics where straight up driving an airplane get the first place.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I must be the only one who is not really hyped for flying mounts...

To me they just make the world feel small and how many devs have FUN flying mechanics\combat? Almost none.

Tbh i'm not even a gigantic fan of the underwater stuff...usually this stuff is half hassed\not fun in most open world games and i don't expect nothing revolutionary from guerrilla neither.

Flying in Anthem was absolutely incredible. It made the game so much more fun than other looter shooters.

Last edited:

SSfox

I wouldn’t be surprised if flying mounts is regulated to a set piece/boss battle.
Hopefully not, i wouldn't like to have something like this availble early in the game, but it would def be nice to unlock something like this by end game, like let's say 70 to 90% of story. There will be some very high places (with some of them having unique decors or stuffs) that can be only reach with flying mounts, with some very legendary stuffs to find here. To me this sounds super neat (i'll admit i took inspiration for that idea from Dragon Quest games LOL)

GymWolf

Flying in Anthem was absolutely incredible. It made the game so much more fun than other looter shooters.
Unfortunately literally everything else was trashy, and i was one of the few who kinda enjoyed anthem (with friends).
I had more fun with outriders that had the looting\rpg part done right (for the most part), anthem was absolutely dreadfull in this regard.

But anthem was not really an open world game, he had a big world but the structure was completely different from a classic open world game.

Not saying that flying is bad, i'm just not a fun because usually i prefer other types of fast traversal.

cormack12

Gold Member
If we see flying mounts i can only see it happening in the final boss battle and getting everyone wet for when we get them in Horizon 3

GymWolf

Even if the models are not a gigantic jump from the previous game, they look extremely...solid for lack of better words, especially aloy and the human enemies.

They look BIG, like they have a strong presence.

Who can understand what i'm trying to say?

Maybe its the hero light or the camera zooming, i don't know...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Robot monkeys are gonna be the best 🐒
eQolLkS.jpg
Gaia and hephaestus doing the extra work with these robots design lol...

I love how there is a precise reason for all of this in the story so they can go wild with the design all they want without never being out of place.

SlimySnake

Gaia and hephaestus doing the extra work with these robots design lol...

I love how there is a precise reason for all of this in the story so they can go wild with the design all they want without never being out of place.
Yep. But I would love for them to do the same mettallic armor design for all the enemies and embrace transformers like colors and metal sheen. For example, the Jaguar or Cheetah in that pic would look far cooler if it was all black.

• Geometric detail
  • Lighting
  • Effects
  • Foliage
Nothing really is screaming current gen in this.
I agree. It looks like an expansion on the first game rather than a new one.

Obviously there's better shaders and textures here and there. But the upgrade is not "OMG NEW GEN" to my eyes.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Obviously there's better shaders and textures here and there. But the upgrade is not "OMG NEW GEN" to my eyes.
Its similer to what playground did with FH5. Scalable foliage, terrain, resolution, fps etc

SlimySnake

This definitely looks cross gen, but the upgrade is massive. Her character model looks better, the water tech is massively improved, the lighting and foliage have gotten a massive upgrade. GOW looks more like an expansion. This looks like a Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 caliber leap.

Why even its a big deal ?:d many open games has flying
At this point, it's mostly a running joke. I guess I want it in there just so I can tell myself this wasnt held back by last gen.

Top Bottom