• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Review Embargo Details

What Will Be The Average Critic Score For Horizon: Forbidden West

• >95

Votes: 35 5.2%
  • 93-95

Votes: 128 19.2%
  • 90-92

Votes: 261 39.1%
  • 86-89

Votes: 174 26.0%
  • 80-85

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • <80

Votes: 28 4.2%

• Total voters

GymWolf

For me if the core gameplay is good I will enjoy side quests which usually means having good combat or traversal mechanics.

That's why Spiderman PS4 is the only game I've platinumed. People complained about packages but I wouldn't mind if I was finding dog turds as long as I could swing across the city.

Good story and writing can only take you so far. I just couldn't get into the Witcher 3 because I didn't enjoy the combat.

The best side quests have unique gameplay content like unique enemies or loot. I really liked FFVII remake side quests because you encounter unique enemies and boss fights.

Elden Ring looks amazing because it seems to bursting at the seams with this kind of content.
We are not buddies anymore, talk to my lawyer for the details.

GymWolf

Easter Bunny Running GIF
Did ubisoft finally made a movie about rabbids?!

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

Hmm, let's see :
-Cinematic Sony exclusive
-Emotional storytelling
-Ubisoft open world
-Ubisoft mechanics like AssCreed magnetic climbing
-Pretty gwafics with no sort of identity, just realistic
-Ugly and strong woman protagonist that lives in racially diverse world with gay marriage
-Journalist difficulty for accessibility

This one is a 95+ for sure.
You forgot dinobots dude, at least a 97 or we are gonna riot.

MadPanda

Banned
If they've truly addressed the little complaints and nitpicks that people had from the first game AND made this one even better, then i can't imagine this not being 90-92

little complaints and nitpicks like bland story, ubisoft style world and quests and forgettable side characters? if that's little complaints then I don't know what's big to you.

Anyway I predict 85-89 score. Judging by the first game it's going to be a very fun game I'll enjoy playing but won't care about its story, characters or quests and it will be a visual spectacle.

YoungEmperor96

Neo Member
This game looks significantly better than Elden Ring in every single department. Yet it will somehow score significantly worse across the board.
If you play Fromsoft games, you will understand why their games are so hyped. Horizon 2 is definitely better than Elden ring in terms of graphics, dialogue and animation, but Fromsoft's games are always top notch in terms of levels and world design, explore, combat variety, enemies variety and bosses design.
Another thing is quite subjective, Elden ring's visuals are not as beautiful as Horizon's but I always have feeling it 'more interesting'. Horizon's graphics I think are very beautiful but it is too similar to real life. There is something very strange about Elden's scenery, like this
yvizGd0.jpg
0CxsZEt.png

Last edited:
little complaints and nitpicks like bland story, ubisoft style world and quests and forgettable side characters? if that's little complaints then I don't know what's big to you.

Anyway I predict 85-89 score. Judging by the first game it's going to be a very fun game I'll enjoy playing but won't care about its story, characters or quests and it will be a visual spectacle.
I thought the first actually had one of the better stories in videogames.

arvfab

Banned
If you play Fromsoft games, you will understand why their games are so hyped. Horizon 2 is definitely better than Elden ring in terms of graphics, dialogue and animation, but Fromsoft's games are always top notch in terms of levels and world design, explore, combat variety, enemies variety and bosses design.
Another thing is quite subjective, Elden ring's visuals are not as beautiful as Horizon's but I always have feeling it 'more interesting'. Horizon's graphics I think are very beautiful but it is too similar to real life. There is something very strange about Elden's scenery, like this
yvizGd0.jpg
0CxsZEt.png

Fortunately, deciding which one to play first is the only tough decision to make.

arvfab

Banned

BotW has that plus even worse issues and it still managed to get 95+ scores, so I don't see why 90-92 should be unrealistic.

Meh.. first one was a jankfest, stealth mechanics were contradictory at best, didn't really care about the story content, this will be an overhyped 9+ more than likely.

GymWolf

yvizGd0.jpg
0CxsZEt.png
World building\lore in horizon is gigantic and top notch tho, you don't even have to believe me

And yeah, if from software are king in enemy\boss design, horizon and his dinobots are not that far in the list of games with great enemies\bosses.

And combat in the first horizon was pretty varied between ranged, traps and a shitty melee system, if they improved in the sequel (and we already saw improvements in the melee, new weapons and 6 skills trees to specialize in stuff like traps or dinobot hacking) the combat is gonna have more variety than most open world games (except maybe ER)

Nothing to argue about the rest, i already bought ER months ago because i love from games, Horizon and ER are wildly different games that only share third person camera and being open world, they are not in direct competition.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Sooo has anyone been bold enough to predict HFW breaking TLOU2 3-day sales record of 4m yet?

Call me crazy, but I think they can hit 5M despite Elden Ring dropping in same month.

Woggleman

Sooo has anyone been bold enough to predict HFW breaking TLOU2 3-day sales record of 4m yet?

Call me crazy, but I think they can hit 5M despite Elden Ring dropping in same month.
I don't know about that but it will do very well. As much as I truly love TLOU2 I think this will be less divisive and more of a crowd pleaser.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

TLOU was huge. Horizon isnt as big. IIRC, it sold 10 million whereas TLOU sold 20 million.

It should easily sell 4 million in the first month though.

GOW Ragnorak should beat TLOU2's 4 million in 3 days record.

Not sure about that. I think it can likely beat ghost or maybe God of wars opening 3 days.

It's difficult because it's got smaller a userbase but then ps5 owners are likely starved for content so who knows

ChiefDada

Gold Member

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A Chinese review has been posted early. Link below. There are obviously MAJOR GAMEPLAY SPOILERS (nothing story wise) with new screenshots here so PLEASE DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.

If what this reviewer is saying is true, then HFW will score nothing less than 92 on Metacritic and is easily in pole position for GOTY. Holy crap none of us are ready.

Any spoiler free summary? Is flying in?

iHaunter

I liked the story of the first one, everything else is just preference.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
lol this is so idiotic. Why keep this a secret until then only to have reviewers spoil it.

Why is this even a spoiler. It’s a gameplay mechanic. I’m so fucking out of touch with the current marketing landscape. None of this makes any sense whatsoever. I feel like a boomer.

I personally don't feel spoiled, but I can totally see why many people would want it to be kept a secret. It's likely a very epic moment in the game.

Reactions: Isa

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
lol this is so idiotic. Why keep this a secret until then only to have reviewers spoil it.

Why is this even a spoiler. It’s a gameplay mechanic. I’m so fucking out of touch with the current marketing landscape. None of this makes any sense whatsoever. I feel like a boomer.
Maybe they didnt even want the reviewer to talk about it and they went our out of their way to do it anyways. Even Naughty Dog for TLOUS P2 reviews has specifics for their reviews of what they didnt want talked about.

Have a feeling GG wanted gamers to not find out about what was posted and instead have it be natural in the game and an epic moment of "oh my god yes"

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
A Chinese review has been posted early. Link below. There are obviously MAJOR GAMEPLAY SPOILERS (nothing story wise) with new screenshots here so PLEASE DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.

If what this reviewer is saying is true, then HFW will score nothing less than 92 on Metacritic and is easily in pole position for GOTY. Holy crap none of us are ready.

Is there a mirror? Its been deleted.

Yoboman

They probably saw how successful it was keeping surprises for the players was for GOW and kept with that

I much prefer this low spoilers approach, why would you not want to experience it yourself

Thirty7ven

Banned

giphy.webp

CamHostage

Maybe they didnt even want the reviewer to talk about it and they went our out of their way to do it anyways. Even Naughty Dog for TLOUS P2 reviews has specifics for their reviews of what they didnt want talked about.

Have a feeling GG wanted gamers to not find out about what was posted and instead have it be natural in the game and an epic moment of "oh my god yes"

Yes, certain systems sometimes get intentionally secreted before launch for a reason, although usually those reasons are story or endgame/late-game surprise protection, that there's value for the players in suddenly discovering a brand new thing is possible or a game-changing system just threw your whole play out the window... this thing we're talking about has been question #1 for many Horizon players, and has been guessed at if not assumed to be in there from bits of every trailer shown of H:FW. The first response was already, "lol", because of course...

...That said, I still get why they'd maybe not promote it? (Although I still have a feeling that some launch trailer will hit and the very last shot is maybe this thing actually being in the game...?) I don't personally think it'll be a massive surprise to the players if/when it happens or that it'll transform the game, but having this mechanic puts ideas in people's heads that are really hard to fulfil. Will there be a whole combat system built around this mechanic? Will this be available in all areas of the game and change traversal? Will this now become the way I want to play this game instead of all the stuff you've sold me on for 2 years? People became obsessed with this type of thing in the GTAs, for instance, and in that case, they were able to just quickly show off in VC among a ton of other additions, and that worked out; they have still never really never needed to expand it much more SA or 4/5, it's just one more thing you can do. And Horizon is a game where it could be imagined as a huge deal to have in, whereas in reality it'd probably only have reasonable limitations and only so many places of uses and just not be a big part of the design because the game really wants you running about smashing robodinos and sneaking up on tribesmen and just generally playing the game as we know it to be so far. So maybe there's a big moment, or maybe it's just a thing you can do (or maybe it's not even in... I'm trying to stay unspoiled, although I could guess pretty surely at this point,) but they've teased enough that maybe it's in there, and it wouldn't be tragic if it wasn't so probably it isn't the one thing holding back too many people from actually getting the game, and we'll see when we see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom