• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Review Embargo Details

What Will Be The Average Critic Score For Horizon: Forbidden West

• >95

Votes: 35 5.2%
  • 93-95

Votes: 128 19.2%
  • 90-92

Votes: 261 39.1%
  • 86-89

Votes: 174 26.0%
  • 80-85

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • <80

Votes: 28 4.2%

• Total voters

Fredrik

RDR is rated much higher though, and while the open world was amazing the combat and controls ruined the experience for me

I could never give that game a 10
Apples and oranges. Could easily say this about HZD: while the combat was amazing the lackluster open world and dialogues ruined the experience for me

People always go black or white when comparing games here. The reality is that both games are fantastic but focused on different things. It’s okay to give both a high score, even a 10.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lol, apparently this IGN France tweet translates to a proactive warning for people to not accuse them of being paid off by Sony when their review for HFW drops tomorrow. Yeah, this game is getting nothing less than 90.

LR5yS2i.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For some reason I think its going to land 93-94.
I hope it’s a huge step up over the original, as I had some stand out issues. If these can be addressed and some really great missions I’ll be all over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

jonnyp

Yes, the combat is excellent and I can see people getting really into it. I have had fun with it, I just get burnt out really quickly, I'll play a few hrs of it and im like "nothing good is happening, there is a lot of filler and drone like dialogue".

Its why Ive never played an assassins creed game for more then a few hrs.

RDR2 is how open world games should be done, the variety in missions in that game is amazing.

Dont get me wrong, I can recognise the quality if horizons visuals, leveling up, menu design, movement and combat, but for me its more like a 80-85.
I would give it an 83.

But hey, different floats for different boats.

RDR2 had thousands of people working on it, and ridiculous development time and budget. And the combat/movement still stunk. I love the overall experience btw but let's not kid ourselves - it has severe flaws.

Sosokrates

RDR2 had thousands of people working on it, and ridiculous development time and budget. And the combat/movement still stunk. I love the overall experience btw but let's not kid ourselves - it has severe flaws.
Like Ive already said gamers value different things, differently.

ckaneo

That's because whoever is in charge thinks trash movement = realism not cause they didnt have the time/budget to make it good.

I seriously hope they have actually looked at the criticism and will make adjustments

Last edited:
Lol, apparently this IGN France tweet translates to a proactive warning for people to not accuse them of being paid off by Sony when their review for HFW drops tomorrow. Yeah, this game is getting nothing less than 90.

IGN France gave Cyberpunk 2077 a 9.

But what does CP77 have to do with the number of pixels on display in Deedlit in Wonderland you might ask?
Nothing. Just like these reviews are going to mean. Nothing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

But what does CP77 have to do with the number of pixels on display in Deedlit in Wonderland you might ask?

So you're saying they're a hack site because it's a 10/10 game. Hmm. I can dig it.

CheeseCake

If they played cyberpunk on PC, then it could most definitely be a 9.

Apples and oranges. Could easily say this about HZD: while the combat was amazing the lackluster open world and dialogues ruined the experience for me

People always go black or white when comparing games here. The reality is that both games are fantastic but focused on different things. It’s okay to give both a high score, even a 10.

Sosokrates Sosokrates used it as an example of a better game and why horizon was overrated

And yet rdr2 has a much higher meta critic.

Sosokrates

Sosokrates Sosokrates used it as an example of a better game and why horizon was overrated

And yet rdr2 has a much higher meta critic.

So what if it does have a higher meta?
You said that the repetitive nature of zero dawn is like all open world games, so I gave an example where this is not the case.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Sure but you said Horizon is overrated a bit but I think the score is in line with peers in the same genre

I dont know AsscreedVal got an 80mc.

I think when games are approaching the 90 mark no one area should be weak.

Not that im trying convince you, but at the end of the day, zero dwans mission are repetitive not very creative and the dialogue and story is really lifeless and dull at times. Some chacaters speak dialogue like mindless atomotons, the story is pretty confusing at times and boring.

People have opinions, but I could show some footage of missions that are just not good aside from the combat.

Dr Bass

I always keep saying "make new games, not sequels". But then we would never get UC2, uc4, Dark Souls sequels, Final Fantasy 7, tlou... so yeah I am starting to feel the HYPE
There is a place for new stuff and there is a place for sequels. I don’t think the Horizon well is near dry yet. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Seems pretty hyperbolic considering its a cross gen games.
But it does not surprise NXgamer has always shown a sony prefernce (not saying hes biased or hates xbox, but if u have been watching his content since the beginning you can see he has a preference for sony games)

I wouldn’t doubt the game looking extremely good given the engine. Probably better than the first game IMO. I doubt believe he will be the only one praising it’s visuals. Pretty sure sites like DF will have some very nice things to say as well. Doesn’t mean they are biased though.

Last edited:

Lupin25

I never thought RDR2 was a “10” because of its controls, its sometimes, awkward animations (which is clearly an evolved trade off of the engine they use) and strange input delay. It can also be extremely tedious lol. But it is very close…

I mean no game is a perfect “10” if we judge them by all of their merits & flaws.

HZD, like many open-world games, needed to better justify its vastness/exploration outside of a beautiful landscape, machine-killing and collectibles.

If they better progress the narrative along, improve upon the melee combat, rewards for exploration, and make more thoughtful side quests, this will be an Uncharted 2/MGS 2/Silent Hill 2/FO3 moment for me.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Seems pretty hyperbolic considering its a cross gen games.
But it does not surprise NXgamer has always shown a sony prefernce (not saying hes biased or hates xbox, but if u have been watching his content since the beginning you can see he has a preference for sony games)
I can see why cross gen could affect game design because of CPU differences (and some other game design issues) but in terms of visual fidelity, I don’t think I’ve seen a good reason why it would hold anything back. You don’t have to use the same assets and based on what we’ve seen of the two versions it seems like they aren’t anyway. You can downgrade the ps4 version to hell and back to get it to run there, all of this cross gen complaining seems misguided to me. If you don’t like it you should be worried about it affecting gameplay not graphics.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But SlimySnake SlimySnake said it’s cross gen and looks no different from infamous
lol i think both DF and NX gamer need to be far more critical of the game’s cross gen roots. I can understand average critics ignoring it since they review the game design and story, but tech reviewers have one job and they need to approach these games two years into the gen with a far more critical eye.

I rolled my eyes when Alex gave Deathloop a pass because it isn’t trying to be a graphics powerhouse. I legit laughed when Richard declared forza horizon 5s next Gen difference when it basically amounted to pc low vs high settings. Last week they were fawning over GT7 for 30 minutes. Like come on, you are the only tech reviewer in town.

When i see the trailers i see fog blocking the draw distance everywhere. Next Gen version shouldn’t have that fog, period. Let’s see if these guys are even remotely critical tomorrow.

Sosokrates

I wouldn’t doubt the game looking extremely good given the engine. Probably better than the first game IMO. I doubt believe he will be the only one praising it’s visuals. Pretty sure sites like DF will have some very nice things to say as well. Doesn’t mean they are biased though.
I dont think it will be doing anything other games haven't already done.

Guerilla are obviously extremely talented Devs but I dont think they they will be "ahead of the curve".

I dont know AsscreedVal got an 80mc.

I think when games are approaching the 90 mark no one area should be weak.

Not that im trying convince you, but at the end of the day, zero dwans mission are repetitive not very creative and the dialogue and story is really lifeless and dull at times. Some chacaters speak dialogue like mindless atomotons, the story is pretty confusing at times and boring.

People have opinions, but I could show some footage of missions that are just not good aside from the combat.

I think it’s massively better than Ass Creed

The combat in AC is abysmal and the mission variety and story is far worse

Sosokrates

I'm definitely playing on PS5 but I am excited to see how they did with PS4. I'm sure it looks fantastic as well.
It seems most the geometry and lighting has been retained for the PS4 version.

PS5 enhancements I expect
  • Higher resolution
  • 60fps mode
  • Higher res textures
  • Hero lighting in game
  • Scalable surface detail
  • Scalable foilege

Top Bottom