• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Previews and hands-on

Davidion

Mmmmmm, don't have a PS4 but thus far, this and Last Guardians are the two games that would make me consider a purchase.

Anyone able to point me to a good YT video of direct feed footage of this game? I don't mean from the conference. I'm talking an actual demo played by someone from the press.

I've been seeing a lot of Zelda vs Horizon lately. When did this happen? Because I didn't see it last year.

Yeah, they both look great.

I'm guessing it took until now because we hadn't seen the RPG adventure elements fully on screen until now despite them talking about them last year, also since Zelda was just the reveal trailer last year, now it's a real game and also being positioned as a launch game for their console. So they're both big exclusive games. It's still odd, they've both got their unique great things.

first detail we got about the town, npc, quest/sidequest. it sounds so good. I like that you can chat with the merchant like he complaining about how business is slow. the economy seems interesting, you not only need money, but some item to trade too.

also like the detail about how machine and human lives peacefully in the past. in general, I like that so far there doesn't seem to be sense of urgency or world ending threat. you're just go adventuring on your own pace. compare to Witcher, which I like, but have the premise of need to find Ciri quickly or something bad may happen, same with Mass Effect 3 where there's this huge sense of urgency in the plot, but you can go do side mission like it was nothing.

also we got news that they have 2 melee attack button. that was cool, after speculating there won't be melee other than finisher.

so hyped

Anyone able to point me to a good YT video of direct feed footage of this game? I don't mean from the conference. I'm talking an actual demo played by someone from the press.
Want both and think both will be fantastic. The fact that Horizon is even in the same conversation with something like Zelda bodes well for it.

Javin98

Banned
Just a question since we have this whole Horizon vs Zelda thing going on. I haven't seen Zelda footage, so what do people mean when they say it looks empty and barren? As in, is the world devoid of plant and wildlife or just doesn't have towns for very large distances?

Just a question since we have this whole Horizon vs Zelda thing going on. I haven't seen Zelda footage, so what do people mean when they say it looks empty and barren? As in, is the world devoid of plant and wildlife or just doesn't have towns for very large distances?

Just a lot of empty looking spaces (plus, lack of grass rendering in the distance that gives it that feel).

It's not the biggest problem for me but the world feels less dense then games like TW3 despite Zelda having significantly more to actually do in said world.

dabig2

Guerrilla Games will show Horizon Demo played live :
ClBCSALWYAAn4eA.jpg

Oooh nice. Rigs and Horizon being demo'd live will certainly be a treat.

Zelda and Horizon are my favorite games of E3 hands down, and honestly they are quite comparable. I was fortunate to have played Zelda yesterday and Horizon this morning. The obvious similarities are that they're open world third person adventure games with basic rpg elements. There's collecting items, equipment, upgrading ect. You can hunt in both, ride beasts and shoot arrows. They are definitely a lot alike.

The playable Horizon demo unfortunately locked me into a very small portion of the map. There was on screen text that would pop up saying if you kept walking out of the invisible border the demo would reset. Only the bull and raptor like enemies were available to play with in this section. Like Zelda, the animations of both the player and enemies are extremely well done. Both games world's look so good in their own way. I haven't felt as immersed in an open world game as I have with these in a long time. Everything looks and feels believable. Zelda one ups Horizon with its use of fire, electricity ect. One of the first things I did in Horizon was shoot the fire, ice and electric sling shot pellets into a river to see if or how it would react to water. None of them did anything different than when just shooting em in the dirt.

One of the biggest aspects i adore in both games is what the devs have done with the enemy AI. They react to what's around them very believably. In Horizon I used an electric tether to make a trap from one tree to another. I lured one of the raptor enemies into it and shocked it that way. The others seemed to keep away from the chaos but as soon as the smoke cleared they attacked again. Every hit is very visceral and when you either hit em with an arrow or with your melee they fall back accordingly.

Everything about both Zelda and Horizon make me super excited to play the final versions. But seriously they almost feel a little too similar. Even their stories revolve around the mystery of the world and how it came to be and who you are as a character. I don't think playing one will depreciate the value of the other but I hope they come out far enough apart so I don't get burnt out :p

Zelda and Horizon are my favorite games of E3 hands down, and honestly they are quite comparable. I was fortunate to have played Zelda yesterday and Horizon this morning. The obvious similarities are that they're open world third person adventure games with basic rpg elements. There's collecting items, equipment, upgrading ect. You can hunt in both, ride beasts and shoot arrows. They are definitely a lot alike.

The playable Horizon demo unfortunately locked me into a very small portion of the map. There was on screen text that would pop up saying if you kept walking out of the invisible border the demo would reset. Only the bull and raptor like enemies were available to play with in this section. Like Zelda, the animations of both the player and enemies are extremely well done. Both games world's look so good in their own way. I haven't felt as immersed in an open world game as I have with these in a long time. Everything looks and feels believable. Zelda one ups Horizon with its use of fire, electricity ect. One of the first things I did in Horizon was shoot the fire, ice and electric sling shot pellets into a river to see if or how it would react to water. None of them did anything different than when just shooting em in the dirt.

One of the biggest aspects i adore in both games is what the devs have done with the enemy AI. They react to what's around them very believably. In Horizon I used an electric tether to make a trap from one tree to another. I lured one of the raptor enemies into it and shocked it that way. The others seemed to keep away from the chaos but as soon as the smoke cleared they attacked again. Every hit is very visceral and when you either hit em with an arrow or with your melee they fall back accordingly.

Everything about both Zelda and Horizon make me super excited to play the final versions. But seriously they almost feel a little too similar. Even their stories revolve around the mystery of the world and how it came to be and who you are as a character. I don't think playing one will depreciate the value of the other but I hope they come out far enough apart so I don't get burnt out :p

Thanks for the impressions! I don't understand why I can't find any Horizon footage from the E3 showfloor, but your impressions are a nice alternative to that.

Javin98

Banned
Just a lot of empty looking spaces (plus, lack of grass rendering in the distance that gives it that feel).

It's not the biggest problem for me but the world feels less dense then games like TW3 despite Zelda having significantly more to actually do in said world.
Hmm, I would actually love vast open areas of nothing but wilderness. Well, it's a different story entirely if it is devoid of wildlife. But can you just imagine if there were vast open plains teaming with wildlife forming some sort of dynamic ecosystem? I wouldn't mind if a vast majority of the map consists of wilderness if so.

Just imagine, herds of dinosaurs moving along with Ice Age era mammals. A pack of raptors then stalk a mammoth while a T-Rex looms in the background eyeing the Triceratops herd. Hehe, just a fragment of the game I'm currently fantasizing.

Loudninja

E3 2016 – Playing Horizon: Zero Dawn Feels as Good as it Looks
From my hands-on time with the game, one thing was abundantly clear: Horizon feels good. Shooting arrows – a rarely enjoyable mechanic – is smooth and reliable enough to be a primary attack. The Machines move with terrifyingly animalistic qualities, their wiring tensing and releasing like muscles, their lunges wild and fierce. A Watcher rushes past me as I hastily roll sideways, painstaking animations capture perfectly the intensity in both our movements, and after its defeat I eagerly anticipate my next encounter. In fact, it’s this very species, its coy movements and character, that first convinced the development team that convincing robot animals could be a reality.
https://twinfinite.net/2016/06/horizon-zero-dawn-e3-2016-preview/

Palocca

Is footage embargoed or something?

We weren't allowed to record. The presentation was mostly the same as the demo in the press conference, but we were allowed some time to play around in a small sandox that took place in the same area as the longhorns were.

We weren't allowed to record. The presentation was mostly the same as the demo in the press conference, but we were allowed some time to play around in a small sandox that took place in the same area as the longhorns were.

It was a very difficult hand to get hands on with that's why. As well as no recording. There was a PlayStation App that Sony required you to download and book a time with the game. It was behind closed doors where nobody else could see. First , one of the devs would play the demo that we all saw in the conference but he'd do things a little differently in the Scorpian fight. Same outcome. Then the hands on happened in a second room. Fortunately the silly app wasn't updating properly so nobody could book a time with the game in the morning. Right when the show floor opened I made a B line for Where I knew Horizon was while everyone else mad rushed Zelda. I luckily was one of the first to play today!

Oh, ok. Thanks to you both!

Thanks for the impressions! I don't understand why I can't find any Horizon footage from the E3 showfloor, but your impressions are nice alternative to that.

It was a very difficult to get hands on with that's why. As well as no recording once you did. There was a PlayStation App that Sony required you to download and book a time with the game. It was behind closed doors where nobody else could see. First , one of the devs would play the demo that we all saw in the conference but he'd do things a little differently in the Scorpian fight. Same outcome. Then the hands on happened in a second room. Fortunately the silly app wasn't updating properly so nobody could book a time with the game in the morning. Right when the show floor opened I made a B line for Where I knew Horizon was while everyone else mad rushed Zelda. Luckily I was one of the first to play today!

Loudninja

Your ranged options include a bow with three ammo types (normal, piercing, and explosive), and a slingshot (with three elemental options, including frost, fire and lightning. Complementing that is your crossbow, which can pin enemies to the ground, or set up electrical tripwires. The amount of options sounds overwhelming, but swapping between your options is intuitive and becomes second nature.
Melee options are a bit more limited, as taking on your robo-dinosaur overlords in a close-quarters context is dangerous. There’s light and heavy attacks with your spear, which are nice to make some space, but the lack of a lock-on means the majority of your swings will hit nothing but air. There are stealth attacks too, but they don’t instantly kill – instead inflicting a large chunk of damage.
Trade mostly gives Aloy access to new outfits (which provide stat bonuses, like elemental damage immunity) and gear with slots – that is, gear you can shove mods in to increase a range of parameters: from arrow distance, to armour piercing. Buying all of these is handled through Shards – a resource with two uses. The first is obviously for trade, the other is ammo for your bow. It creates a nice push-pull between wanting to survive, and wanting some fresh new kit.
http://nzgamer.com/previews/1281/horizon-zero-dawn-hands-on.html

GnawtyDog

Banned
I like talkative characters - keeps you engaged (sort of adds life and personality to the character instead of totally passive experience when in downtime - like say the Dark Souls of the world). It's one of the main reasons I love Uncharted so much and TLOU by extension...they also have good banter. The voice actress has nailed Aloy I think - it doesn't feel too pushy like new Lara with that accent. The rest is up to good written lines and knowing when to trigger them - something ND has mastered.

Guerrila should stick with it... people will complain about anything. Sometimes you just have to push things through.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like talkative characters - keep you engaged (sort of adds life and personality to the character instead of totally passive experience - like say the Dark Souls of the world). It's one of the main reasons I love Uncharted so much and TLOU by extension...they also have good banter. The voice actress has nailed Aloy I think - it doesn't feel too pushy like Lara with that accent.

Guerrila should stick with it... people will complain about anything. Sometimes you just have to push things through.

I don't think it's them compromising their vision based on complaints. They just added extra dialogue in to narrate the gameplay demos.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I don't think it's them compromising their vision based on complaints. They just added extra dialogue in to narrate the gameplay demos.

yeah the part with the robot turtles was probably added but I think a shorter take could easily be contextually done - starting the moment the player chooses to analyze the bots. To avoid such thing getting stale they'll either have to keep the lines extremely short or develop multiple lines.

yeah the part with the robot turtles was probably added but I think a shorter take could easily be contextually done - starting the moment the player chooses to analyze the bots. To avoid such thing getting stale they'll either have to keep the lines extremely short or develop multiple lines.

None of that dialogue explaining her actions is part of the game. Guerrilla said there will be no tutorials and that dialogue is basically a tutorial explanation of what to do. I don't expect of any of the voice work to make into the final.game. That would would not work for an RPG.

DrD

Getting crazy hyped for this, it's my game of E3 for the 2nd year in a row. Combat looks great, I hope we'll be able to grapple onto the robots.

GnawtyDog

Banned
None of that dialogue explaining her actions is part of the game. Guerrilla said there will be no tutorials and that dialogue is basically a tutorial explanation of what to do. I don't expect of any of the voice work to make into the final.game. That would would not work for an RPG.

It would not work or it would take an "unnecessarily" amount of time to make such a feature hit the right spot? find the balance of when to have the character speak them, when it's best not to - write the code? Look at what ND has been able to achieve with Uncharted 4.....the contextual chatter is unparalleled. Majority of games, regardless of genre are still stuck in Uncharted 1 territory. What you'll be needing here is much much smaller in term of line length (albeit numerous). It can be done. Whether a dev devotes the resources and manpower to do so that's another thing....a trade off proposition for "small details." There is a dev that does put the work in - and gets rewarded.

Cracklox

Was wondering where all the Witcher/latest, hottest open world RPG comparisons were coming from. I always thought it looked more akin to something like Far Cry 3 or 4 in terms of genre. Ie action with light RPG mechanics. I think GG themselves advertised it similarly themselves (the light rpg stuff that is).

Then I read
Trade mostly gives Aloy access to new outfits (which provide stat bonuses, like elemental damage immunity) and gear with slots – that is, gear you can shove mods in to increase a range of parameters: from arrow distance, to armour piercing. Buying all of these is handled through Shards – a resource with two uses. The first is obviously for trade, the other is ammo for your bow. It creates a nice push-pull between wanting to survive, and wanting some fresh new kit.

Ok, so even that sort of stuff is getting more RPG then I thought it was going to be, which is great. Like others though I'm still a little concerned about how well told the story will be. I love me some Killzone 2, but I can't remember a thing about the story other then it existed to give me an excuse to cut through swathes of Helghast.

Either way, Day 1 for the robo-dinoes

Was wondering where all the Witcher/latest, hottest open world RPG comparisons were coming from. I always thought it looked more akin to something like Far Cry 3 or 4 in terms of genre. Ie action with light RPG mechanics. I think GG themselves advertised it similarly themselves (the light rpg stuff that is).

Then I read

Ok, so even that sort of stuff is getting more RPG then I thought it was going to be, which is great. Like others though I'm still a little concerned about how well told the story will be. I love me some Killzone 2, but I can't remember a thing about the story other then it existed to give me an excuse to cut through swathes of Helghast.

This game looks more RPG makes me more hyped up. My first though last year when the game first shown, was the Tomb Raider Reboot. Glad that isn't the case.

Then I read

Killzone had interesting lore and backstory, but the actual game/mission plot is really not that interesting.

at the very least, the main narrative of Horizon is to find out more about the lore/backstory, stuff like where the old ones go, who make these robots, Aloy's past and her ear device used to scan robots etc

I'm optimistic it will be good, unless the truth behind the mystery is really bad.

Agreed. I had a feeling there was at least more of it than would be in the game to avoid repeating, but I would enjoy if they put some of it in.

Not really a problem either way, though as another one who liked it, I would like it if it were not going to be completely gone when you're out in the wild alone even if it'd not be overly often. Could add a little more life while you're out there alone, like in Uncharted even if they made it rarer than in Uncharted since the game is such a (presumably) long RPG. I like her voice actress in both those "tutorials" and the cutscene conversations.

Cracklox

Killzone had interesting lore and backstory, but the actual game/mission plot is really not that interesting.

at the very least, the main narrative of Horizon is to find out more about the lore/backstory, stuff like where the old ones go, who make these robots, Aloy's past and her ear device used to scan robots etc

I'm optimistic it will be good, unless the truth behind the mystery is really bad.

Agree on KZ sentiment. Helghast were an interesting force, but something, something Rico, something something something is about all I can remember from the plot

Re Horizon, yeah I'm sorta hopeful/optimistic as well, especially given they've brought people into the fold that know RPG quests. I believe the lead quest designer from FO:NV is onboard, as well as some ex CDPR staff so fingers crossed.

The way I'm approaching it is, if that stuff is good, its a bonus. There's no way I'm not gunna already love blowing up robo-dinosaurs in interesting and creative ways. Much the same as my time with Dragons Dogma. Super vanilla story and world, but with some of the best gameplay in an RPG ever IMHO. At least Horizon has an interesting world going for it so far too, which DD didn't.

a916

I could be wrong, but was it not confirmed GG hired the guy who wrote some of the great side quests in Witcher 3?

I could be wrong, but was it not confirmed GG hired the guy who wrote some of the great side quests in Witcher 3?

I believe it turned out he was the mission designer for the Bloody Baron quest, rather than the writer. Still, they have good writers on board and I'm confident this will be a shit load better than the dire writing of Killzone (and I say that as a fan of the series).

Top Bottom