• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Previews and hands-on

Keihart

Killzone had interesting lore and backstory, but the actual game/mission plot is really not that interesting.

at the very least, the main narrative of Horizon is to find out more about the lore/backstory, stuff like where the old ones go, who make these robots, Aloy's past and her ear device used to scan robots etc

I'm optimistic it will be good, unless the truth behind the mystery is really bad.

Isn't the writer this time around the writer from Fall Out New Vegas? i don't know if he is the lead or just one more of the group, but i remeber this being spotted before game annoucement.

If I remember correctly, the lead quest designer for Horizon is TW3's lead quest designer.... So...

(haven't read the whole thread, someone might have already mentioned that...)

One of the quest designers who worked on several Witcher 3 quests in working on Horizon. The lead quest designer recently started work on Cyberpunk I believe.

Have they actually talked about any of the rpg features more in-depth?
Having a conversation wheel to find out additional info is one thing. Quest design that's not FedEx-like as they said is another.
Do we know if it's gonna feature branching quests at all? Is it gonna have a morality system ? (pls no)

I'm hoping for more Witcher/F:NV and less Borderlands
(or Fallout 4)

Mifune

Mehmber
Isn't the writer this time around the writer from Fall Out New Vegas? i don't know if he is the lead or just one more of the group, but i remeber this being spotted before game annoucement.

Yeah, John Gonzalez (lead writer on New Vegas) is the lead writer on Horizon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This seems like it will be a big time saver:

http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-has-a-smart-solution-to-to-a-common-1782178588

Basically, if you need x material, instead of searching around the world for it you can generate a quest that gives you that material instead.
Awesome feature.

This is the sort of thing that's always cool to see when a studio who hasn't made a game in a genre before takes it seriously. They tend to see some issues that others have just accepted as being a part of the genre and find some neat solutions.

Cyberia

But it was in the playing of Horizon at E3 that the game truly impressed me. Here's why.

It's gorgeous, and not just in a visual fidelity kind of way. There's a lot of detail packed into the open world, and a lot of that detail revolves around protagonist Aloy. Her flaming locks move realistically, and her animations blend wonderfully into each other. Then there's the odd flourish you spot in quieter moments: leave Aloy alone as snow falls and she reaches out to touch the snowflakes.

Is it a true open world? The slice of Horizon's open-world available to me was a lush, snowy valley area, but Guerrilla promises a variety of environments, including deserts and jungles. Guerrilla reps Jan-Bart van Beek (studio art director) and David Ford (lead quest designer) told me there are a couple of initial gates to prevent the player from wandering too early into areas they shouldn't, but at a certain point in the story the world opens up, and it's up to players to test out its areas to see if they're too dangerous for them, in a similar fashion to The Witcher 3 and Grand Theft Auto 5. Largely speaking, Guerrilla says, you can go wherever you want whenever you want.

Horizon doesn't have "big branching narratives", Guerrilla says. You can't change what happens with the choices you make. The dialogue wheel is used instead for learning more about the world. Of course, the world will change throughout the course of the quests, but this is tied to the overarching narrative.

That's the set-up, then. But how does Horizon feel to play? I'm happy to report it's responsive in a way Guerrilla's Killzone games aren't. Killzone feels sluggish, the result of an input delay that sometimes made it feel like you were trudging through mud. Horizon, which leans heavily on third-person action moves such as a roll dodge and melee attacks, feels much quicker to react to your commands. Aloy doesn't exactly dart around the game world as a Bayonetta or a Dante would, but she feels much more responsive than any of the characters in previous Guerrilla games, and that's a good thing.

One of the things that impressed me most about Horizon is its cool little ideas, some of which other games would do well to notice. Here's one: the heads-up display (HUD) is dynamic. It disappears completely at points, letting the impressive visuals shine. You can bring the HUD back with a press of the controller's touchpad.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-horizon-presents-a-brighter-post-apocalypse

This game sounds like a better version of the Witcher 3, which is one of the best games I`ve ever played. I`m still heavily skeptical of the writing and how interesting the characters were, which the Witcher 3 absolutely nailed on just about every single facet.

This game sounds like a better version of the Witcher 3, which is one of the best games I`ve ever played. I`m still heavily skeptical of the writing and how interesting the characters were, which the Witcher 3 absolutely nailed on just about every single facet.
I think a large part of why witcher 3 is so great is the branching narrative. Like how you can finish bloody baron quest a number of ways. I don't think Horizon is going for that style of quest design even though one of the guy from cdproject is with GG now.

JimiNutz

Banned
Those Eurogamer impressions are hype inducing.
I rarely pre order games but think I may pre order this and get my days booked off work.

Sounds like a potential game of the generation candidate.

Sjefen

I love how everyone is praising the movement and responsive controls. Metal gear V had the best controls thus far in this gen and if Horizon can perform close to this level, drooool

Wollan

Horizon has a useful "create job" system that takes the pain out of material hunting. Say you're out in the open and in dire need of a shock trap, but you don't have all the materials required to craft one. Press the square button to "create job" and you'll have a quest to find those materials. Useful!
Nice.

The best game I never knew I wanted. Still surprised how early this game is coming out. Was never under the impression is was really coming in 2016 considering how little we have seen of it

Top Bottom