• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Previews and hands-on

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I believe it turned out he was the mission designer for the Bloody Baron quest, rather than the writer. Still, they have good writers on board and I'm confident this will be a shit load better than the dire writing of Killzone (and I say that as a fan of the series).

I think good mission structure is important too. A mission can be as well written as you want but when it consists of just running someplace and grabbing something and returning to the sender then all the writing in the world won't help you. Well maybe if you're poking fun at the very thing like the mission to rescue "Princess" in the Witcher 3.

Good grief, this sounds incredible. Like, literally my dream game. The only concern is the writing, but it even seems like Guerrilla is addressing this appropriately as well. Fuck, I am so hyped.

I'm not too concerned about the writing yet. Most of what we have seen on a lore and world building perspective has been solid. The thing to be worried about is the very flat voice over work. Aloy'S voice acting seems reasonably good, but everyone else heard has been mediocre to awful.

I'm not too concerned about the writing yet. Most of what we have seen on a lore and world building perspective has been solid. The thing to be worried about is the very flat voice over work. Aloy'S voice acting seems reasonably good, but everyone else heard has been mediocre to awful.

I know this is a different beast and I do have confidence that Sony and Guerrilla will address this issue as it has tooooons of potential, but I really hated the dialogue and storytelling in Killzone Shadow Fall, and hence I have a little trepidation about the writing in this.

I don't remember which interview it was but Hermen Hulst said that they have a 4-5 person dedicated writing team.

This is really good news; again, they really seem to be addressing the main weakness from their previous games.

It's really impressive to see a developer put this kind of ambition into a project when it's completely outside of its comfort zone.
Going from linear first person shooters to a huge open world third person action rpg and showing this kind of quality is remarkable.
Going by the impressions they seem to have nailed the gameplay and the game already seems pretty polished at this stage.

Game looks absolutely fantastic. I compared it to Zelda in one of the Zelda threads. Not in a competitive sort of way, but something that was favorable to both.

- Open world
- Survival themes with hunting and crafting
- Bow heavy combat
- Arrows with bits of tech and explosive heads
- Taming and riding wild mounts
- Long after the apocalypse
- Fighting ancient mysterious robots with primitive tools
- Creative and believable AI
- Female leads

They aren't clones or anything but the similarities are obvious, and I'm very excited for both. The moment where it really hit me was comparing Aloy on her broadhead riding around the many legged laser firing demon, hitting it with explosive arrows with Link on his house riding around the many legged laser firing guardian, hitting it with explosive arrows. The differences come in Horizon's focus on shooter-style combat and RPG mechanics vs. Zelda's physics and world interactivity. But I don't really prefer one or the other.

Voyevoda

Game looks absolutely fantastic. I compared it to Zelda in one of the Zelda threads. Not in a competitive sort of way, but something that was favorable to both.

- Open world
- Survival themes with hunting and crafting
- Bow heavy combat
- Arrows with bits of tech and explosive heads
- Taming and riding wild mounts
- Long after the apocalypse
- Fighting ancient mysterious robots with primitive tools
- Creative and believable AI
- Female leads

AlqtZr9.gif

I'm only about 10 hours into the base game of The Witcher 3, but pretty daily I have to fight temptation to download the expansion pass. Hearts of Stone and in particular Blood and Wine look incredible.

I'm only about 10 hours into the base game of The Witcher 3, but pretty daily I have to fight temptation to download the expansion pass. Hearts of Stone and in particular Blood and Wine look incredible.

Hearts of Stone is the best quest in the Witcher universe IMO. Blood and Wine...I got about 4 hours in and just completely lost interest. I'm also probably just burnt on Witcher at the moment.

But yeah...Hearts of Stone. Whew.

Voyevoda

Hearts of Stone is the best quest in the Witcher universe IMO. Blood and Wine...I got about 4 hours in and just completely lost interest. I'm also probably just burnt on Witcher at the moment.

But yeah...Hearts of Stone. Whew.

Gaunter O'Dim
is probably one of the best antagonist in a video game, ever.

Also, I would quite like Aloy to be able to fight with her spear, but I know that's not really what they're going for. The bow & arrow combat does look awesome, but I enjoy melee combat as well. That's probably the only specific thing I like better which Zelda is doing; other than that I personally think Horizon is more exciting (largely because it's new, and largely because robo-dinos are fucking awesome).

Loudninja

Also, I would quite like Aloy to be able to fight with her spear, but I know that's not really what they're going for. The bow & arrow combat does look awesome, but I enjoy melee combat as well. That's probably the only specific thing I like better which Zelda is doing; other than that I personally think Horizon is more exciting (largely because it's new, and largely because robo-dinos are fucking awesome).
I mean you can but its not the focus

Melee options are a bit more limited, as taking on your robo-dinosaur overlords in a close-quarters context is dangerous. There’s light and heavy attacks with your spear, which are nice to make some space, but the lack of a lock-on means the majority of your swings will hit nothing but air. There are stealth attacks too, but they don’t instantly kill – instead inflicting a large chunk of damage.

HStallion

I actually hope for a decent villain or enemy in Horizon. Doesn't have to be a madman bent on world destruction or anything either. Just like a good villain and a lot of games tend to drop the ball on that when focusing on the protagonist. Give me someone as disturbing and threatening as
David
from The Last of Us or anything on par with that or beyond.

Voyevoda

I actually hope for a decent villain or enemy in Horizon. Doesn't have to be a madman bent on world destruction or anything either. Just like a good villain and a lot of games tend to drop the ball on that when focusing on the protagonist. Give me someone as disturbing and threatening as
David
from The Last of Us or anything on par with that or beyond.

Well, given the setting and Aloy's ambition, the game could manage not having an antagonist at all.

And
Gaunter O'Dim
from TW3 Hearts of Stone is an example of "beyond"
David
from The Last of Us, as far as disturbing and threatening characters go.

HStallion

I glad that the press didn't complain about VA. It's so weird that I don't see any problem with it yet so many people on GAF complained it

A lot of people on GAF are so dense about stage demos and what is changed to make it work in a short time live in front of an audience. The same stuff happens at every conference and people just continue to harp on the same silly things and ignore the actual interesting parts.

It's baffling to see people complain about the dialogue in the E3 demo when half of the stuff she said was CLEARLY for demo purposes only,unless Guerilla managed to come up with a dialogue system that can predict the future.

JakR

Do not why, but was impressed how quick the PSVR was on the developers head and ready in the RIGS segment.

It would not work or it would take an "unnecessarily" amount of time to make such a feature hit the right spot? find the balance of when to have the character speak them, when it's best not to - write the code? Look at what ND has been able to achieve with Uncharted 4.....the contextual chatter is unparalleled. Majority of games, regardless of genre are still stuck in Uncharted 1 territory. What you'll be needing here is much much smaller in term of line length (albeit numerous). It can be done. Whether a dev devotes the resources and manpower to do so that's another thing....a trade off proposition for "small details." There is a dev that does put the work in - and gets rewarded.

Uncharred 4 is a linear game that knows exactly where you are going and how you will accomplish it because it forces it you to. Not comparable to a game that like Horizon allows so much freedom. Also you are with a companion most of time in that game. I'm sure if there is an human companion in Horizon at any point there will be dialogue like it's done in The Witcher 3.

SkylineRKR

Its Guerrilla so I wonder whats going to be the catch here.

It looks so perfect. And so far they've disappointed me every single time, except KZ2 which I enjoyed a lot.

Top Bottom