• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How About That Weather?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
0z9wJZT.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
We had near freezing temps yesterday, today it's in the low 70's (F). When I was a kid there was no way the temperature would have been above 40F until at least late February.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
We had near freezing temps yesterday, today it's in the low 70's (F). When I was a kid there was no way the temperature would have been above 40F until at least late February.
What part of the country are you from. Sounds like it will continue to be warm across the country.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
What part of the country are you from. Sounds like it will continue to be warm across the country.

From Southeast US, back in this region for the time being.

I remember walking to school this time of year as a kid, it was strictly big coats, beanies, gloves, etc. Now people are walking around in shorts and skirts.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I remember walking to school this time of year as a kid, it was strictly big coats, beanies, gloves, etc. Now people are walking around in shorts and skirts.
Keep an eye on the weather. GA & AL have been getting hammered with tornadoes the past few months.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
More tweets with some damage from todays storms if you click through to the account.

Another location:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep. Just brutal. I’m hibernating until Sunday. 😆

gCAZ7Iu.jpg
A weird 24H blast of cold air as the next week it warms up, with late next week being above 0. With the rain expected half of the snow will probably be gone in a week.

Durien

Haha! Yea, that's not entirely uncommon in Wyoming during the winter and I contend it's a massive reason why it's the least populated state in the US. Winds during the winter in Wyoming can easily get between 50 and 80 mph on nasty days and you WILL see semis flipped over on the highways.
Hmm I will put this in the cons column while I try to convince my wife to move there. I was thinking of coming out this summer with her and the kids to give it a bit of a test run. The sky at night looks freakin amazing.

Nice 70 degree day yesterday.

Really mild winter here in georgia this yr. Wonder if its due to all the weather manipulation going on

AJUMP23

We got ourselves a nice dusting of snow over the past day. Those are freedom units for those countries that haven't been to the moon--just shy of a meter. This was the worst of it. The rest was between 12-24 inches. Lots of big drifts piled up around the yard.
SPSF9Vkl.jpg
it was in the 80s here yesterday.

0neAnd0nly

63 degrees f right now I’m seeing people run outside with shorts and a shirt kinda weird weather for the middle of winter

The interesting thing is that though I agree it is hotter in the winters, I tend to look at weather a lot these days (been in several tornadoes, friend is a meteorologist), and if you pick a random spot in the country (let’s say the southeast for example), there have been hotter days during the same part of the year before. 90s, 80s, 40s, etc.

https://www.plantmaps.com/en/us/climate/extremes/f/alabama-record-high-low-temperatures

This La Niña year has been wild, which is somewhat expected.

It’s just interesting.

I hear a lot of people say “back in the day there was never tornados in December”.

That’s false as well. Tornados happen frequently in certain regions in the winter, but I feel like we didn’t cover it the same way… for reasons beyond my knowledge.

Actually, speaking of tornados - the last EF5 was almost a decade ago.

Weather is weird.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
it’s 72 right now for me and the high is supposed to be 75 and then back to a high of 41 on Saturday 40% chance of snow I think this is the hottest it’s been for my area all winter

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yeah, tornadoes are insane, I ordered a tornado shelter almost a month ago. It’ll be here in about two weeks.

That whole region through northern Mississippi/Alabama is especially dangerous since the tornadoes tend to happen more during evening hours. Awful situation all around, I hope they get all the help they need to rebuild their community. Honestly those states should look into figuring out solutions for tornado safety for all families in that region. It’s only going to get worse. It’s a good investment too, shelters don’t need much in the way of upkeep. If you have a mobile home park, you could get an oversized above ground one that could shelter multiple families at once. There’s a company in Alabama that makes solid steel ones that can withstand small arms fire.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Honest question, whats the point of living in the tornado belt if theres a good chance you could lose everything in a moments notice
The actual odds of getting hit are not that high. Most tornadoes occur in the countryside and most are relatively small.

2022-billion-dollar-disaster-map.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom