• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Concord can (theoretically) succeed...

Jinzo Prime

They also really should've just shadowdropped into a free open beta for the game directly after the announcement
That would have been smart, control the messaging by getting the game in people's hands immediately and letting the gameplay speak for itself.

I am usually quite irritated by "woke" character designs, but the fact that the black female character had a pleasant voice, is not obese, and wasn't hit with the ugly hammer, is making me forgive a lot of the other bullshit.

Also the Asian lady looked good, but that constant scowl on her face doesn't work; Gamora is tough warrior woman who doesn't have to look pissed off every waking second.

Denorion

Neo Member
For starters, they would need to redesign all characters so that they are either Cool, Funny, Sexy or Cute

I am serious, games like this require the players liking the characters and wanting to buy skins for them, for all the jokes about Overwatch, their characters at least hit one of those qualities

But no way in hell that would happen

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It absolutely was

Nobody wanted rare making a GaaS game

Forums hate in rare and still do. I think SoT is mid at best. I’d much rather them make a new banjo game

There may have been some complaining but it was in no where on the same level as this. There maybe a few hundred people that want this. Not millions like Sea of thieves.

Say what you want about sea of thieves. Poor combat etc. It was original and won over a huge install base.

This is doa

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I bet that this will never recover. It's too much like overwatch. It's basically sonys bleeding edge.
Other than Paladins, there is nothing like Overwatch on Playstation. There can easily be a competitor to OW.

I think a lot of people who claim otherwise also game on PC, where there is much more competition in the hero shooter genre.

Last edited:
There may have been some complaining but it was in no where on the same level as this. There maybe a few hundred people that want this. Not millions like Sea of thieves.

Say what you want about sea of thieves. Poor combat etc. It was original and won over a huge install base.

This is doa

No, on forums there were not many that wanted SoT

The media even destroyed it. Reviews were poor. Early impressions said there’s nothing to do, etc

Truth is GaaS is not as predictable as core audiences believe it is.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That game was buoyed by streamers if not I think Rare might have pulled the plug on that game when the new consoles came out.
Nope. Look at the games Steamcharts. Pretty gradual fluctuations and mostly consistent player base throughout its history. Streamers had almost 0 impact on the games success.

Coconutt

Gold Member
It for sure needs to be free to play and has to appeal to the normies somehow. Call of Duty is trying that with all the cross promotions with other brands but how effective has that been in growing their player base?

Edit: and most importantly it has to be fun and have some sort of hook in the gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No, on forums there were not many that wanted SoT

The media even destroyed it. Reviews were poor. Early impressions said there’s nothing to do, etc

Truth is GaaS is not as predictable as core audiences believe it is.

Ok, so I guess you think this is going ro be successful?

Depends on the games and the nature of the expansion. As i mentioned before, E/A Truck Simulator has been doing it for a decade and still working for them. Naturally you can't keep it up forever - much like you can't GAAS - but its a good way to get extra mileage out of a game without having to re-develop core elements from the ground up.

Yea, that could work but possibly because games like Truck Simulator or any simulators are been made with only being Single Player in mind or co-op, not gaas. Also it priced reasonable (on lower side), and their DLC's expansions didn't even sell half of what main game did. It's somewhat similar to Death Stranding where you deliver cargo by foot or various type of transport, it also have excellent world, graphics, atmosphere and also there's a good story, which majority of gamers including me wants have something to work on in game. It also sells extremely well at a premium price, so people can play that type of game as long as they can while developers made a whole lot of money and started working on next projects which cater more players and expand their brand IP's. Rather than working on the same game and cater only the existing players.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Without having read the whole text, I didn't think anyone here would want to play the game. Even as f2p the game will have a hard time.

The fact that it isn't F2P is a huge nail in its coffin. Is anyone gonna pay 70 quid for this at launch? It's up against BLOPS 6. I can't see it happening.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The fact that it isn't F2P is a huge nail in its coffin. Is anyone gonna pay 70 quid for this at launch? It's up against BLOPS 6. I can't see it happening.
It will be F2P.

Pay full price for access to all heroes.
Play F2P version for access to this weeks "Free Agents". Look at the last 4 characters on the right.
Although, now that I think about it...why 4 free characters?
Either you can run a team with duplicates or the free 2 play version is only available to friends who bought the game.

Concord-1.png

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Yea, that could work but possibly because games like Truck Simulator or any simulators are been made with only being Single Player in mind or co-op, not gaas. Also it priced reasonable (on lower side), and their DLC's expansions didn't even sell half of what main game did. It's somewhat similar to Death Stranding where you deliver cargo by foot or various type of transport, it also have excellent world, graphics, atmosphere and also there's a good story, which majority of gamers including me wants have something to work on in game. It also sells extremely well at a premium price, so people can play that type of game as long as they can while developers made a whole lot of money and started working on next projects which cater more players and expand their brand IP's. Rather than working on the same game and cater only the existing players.
Keep in mind i'm being very liberal with the usage of the term GAAS here. I'm mainly talking about a game that can keep bringing decent revenue after the release period.

Another one that seems to work is to just keep updating the game and bringing in new content, thus keep attracting buyers over time. Games like No Man's Sky, Terraria, Stardew Valley, many early access titles, etc. In some cases they may also add in support packs that come with a bunch of cosmetics, titles like Deep Rock Galactic or many japanese ones like Monster Hunter and Tales of series. I think most players won't mind as long as it isn't advertised in-game, isn't sold through fake bucks packs and you can realistically buy anything and everything if you want, whenever you want.

Last edited:
It will be F2P.

Play F2P version for access to this weeks "Free Agents". Look at the last 4 characters on the right.

Concord-1.png
Point still stands though, is this really.going to be able to pull people away from already established franchises.

Everything about it just looks sub par...even the marvel game looked better.

It will be F2P.

Although, now that I think about it...why 4 free characters?
Either you can run a team with duplicates or the free 2 play version is only available to friends who bought the game.

Concord-1.png

Yo

fix your quote, I didn't say that....

But good point, I did not notice they have free agents. Hard to say what that means but it could be a F2P option for people.

I think the biggest issue with Concord's reveal is that it didn't really say enough about the game, imho.

I feel like it may have just been better to shadow-drop the beta, or they should have gone all out on explaining everything the game has to offer rather than just a high level view.

Point still stands though, is this really.going to be able to pull people away from already established franchises.

Maybe, if they are unhappy with those other established franchises and this is more fun to play.

The marvels game looks like trash in comparison to this. Saying this looks subpar is incorrect if you are talking about the gunplay/traversal, etc. Everthing looks like top-notch Bungie level mechanics, which are unbeatable imho.

Maybe, if they are unhappy with those other established franchises and this is more fun to play.

The marvels game looks like trash in comparison to this. Saying this looks subpar is incorrect if you are talking about the gunplay/traversal, etc. Everthing looks like top-notch Bungie level mechanics, which are unbeatable imho.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yo

fix your quote, I didn't say that....

But good point, I did not notice they have free agents. Hard to say what that means but it could be a F2P option for people.

I think the biggest issue with Concord's reveal is that it didn't really say enough about the game, imho.

I feel like it may have just been better to shadow-drop the beta, or they should have gone all out on explaining everything the game has to offer rather than just a high level view.

I agree with this. That 8 minute presentation should have subtly told players what Firewalk thinks is wrong about Overwatch. IE. how they're advancing the team based hero shooter. Instead, it came off like they thought it was 2015.

Or they could have just made an open world PvP multiplayer game with emergent gameplay like the cutscene hinted at and we would be parading in the streets right now.

I agree with this. That 8 minute presentation should have subtly told players what Firewalk thinks is wrong about Overwatch. IE. how they're advancing the team based hero shooter. Instead, it came off like they thought it was 2015.

Or they could have just made an open world PvP multiplayer game with emergent gameplay like the cutscene hinted at and we would be parading in the streets right now.

I still don't think Sony would have purchased the studio if it were garbage. They had worked with them since 2019.

I don't see anything here that looks bad from a gameplay standpoint, so I am going to guess people may be pleasantly surprised once the beta drops and people get their hands on it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

I'm hanging my hat on two things.

1. PlayStation COULDN'T have bought Firewalk for an off brand Overwatch clone in 2023. That just does't make sense to me. So they either have a 2nd project in development or Concord has a few surprises in store for us in the next few weeks.

2. Maybe that slow movement speed is a game changer and really makes the experience strategic / team oriented. Instead of showcasing the strategy aspect of the game they took a broad approach to grab the widest audience.

I don't feel great about either.

Hestar69

It absolutely was

Nobody wanted rare making a GaaS game

Forums hate rare and still do. I think SoT is mid at best. I’d much rather them make a new banjo game
yeah at launch SoT was VERY barebones and got alot of bleh reviews...

they've added alot and its amazing now I just wish it had a sotry mode (besides the pirates of the carrbiean thing)

Nailing the feel of Destiny 2 gunplay in a hero shooter would be a huge start.
Make it F2P without price gouging on cosmetics.
A steady release of maps and modes that sometimes coincide with the cinematics.
Know how to balance your game and patch it in.
Open communication with the Devs.
Don't fuck up your battlepass that'll inevitably be put in.

Just making the game feel fun to play is a huge hurdle in all this. Getting it into the hands of as many players as possible is second. Having hilariously crazy game moments the other games don't have is a solid third.

It's possible this could go well if they want to follow a path to it. The fear is always games like this are more of a vehicle for monetization first and everything else second.

I still don't think Sony would have purchased the studio if it were garbage. They had worked with them since 2019.

I don't see anything here that looks bad from a gameplay standpoint, so I am going to guess people may be pleasantly surprised once the beta drops and people get their hands on it.
We were shown highlight reel moments. There was nothing that resembled real gameplay.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Just watched the gameplay video again. Looks like Destiny combat with Overwatch style heroes filtered through Sweet Baby.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
There will be two versions.

A P2P one and a F2P one.

The only question is whether the F2P one requires your friend to own the game.

my bet is that this is something much more stupid.

everyone has to buy the game, the 12 characters on the left are permanent characters who are crew of the main ship shown.

the other 4 are a rotating cast of characters based on this weekly cutscene shit they have been talking about who rotate in and out as "free agents" for the storyline of that week. Once there gone everyone loses access and has to wait until the next time they rotate back in to play as them.

that's the worst thing I could think of them doing, so that's what's its going to be.

Keep in mind i'm being very liberal with the usage of the term GAAS here. I'm mainly talking about a game that can keep bringing decent revenue after the release period.

Another one that seems to work is to just keep updating the game and bringing in new content, thus keep attracting buyers over time. Games like No Man's Sky, Terraria, Stardew Valley, many early access titles, etc. In some cases they may also add in support packs that come with a bunch of cosmetics, titles like Deep Rock Galactic or many japanese ones like Monster Hunter and Tales of series. I think most players won't mind as long as it isn't advertised in-game, isn't sold through fake bucks packs and you can realistically buy anything and everything if you want, whenever you want.

Sure, the games you've mentioned have prioritized Single Player mode and then co-op. Their model is fine as long as it's fun for their core players but it starts to dwindle one way or another because there are new and better versions of it are available in the market. If some foreign publisher isn't involved and they have no new projects in mind they keep catering the remaining existing players and be satisfied with minimal sales and revenue. Even SP games do this with small updates, patches and giving on percentage off on base premium amount for longer period of time. Even old SP games keep giving decent sales and revenue even if the devs have completely moved on to next projects which is a double win.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Dialogs with that "I need to be cool 100% of the time it I'll implode" style is hell of cringy and character design is, well, at least it's better than nothing, not the gameplay looks good, you may I would just like something more like overwatch or paladins, that feel way more fast and agile than most games right now, I like hyper mobility and unrealistic fast paced combat

Top Bottom