• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Concord can (theoretically) succeed...

I know how it works. But most people won't care and when the next flagship titles release, people will have forgotten about a possible Concord bomb.

It wouldn't even be the first Playstation game to bomb.

Acting like Playstation will be devalued if Concord bombs is utter nonsense.
Especially with GTA VI coming next year.
Wait, is that what we're talking about? Perhaps I didn't go back enough in your quote chain. Because yeah, I agree with you. If games like destruction allstars didn't devalue PlayStation, I don't see this doing it. It would take a lot of bad games in a row for PS to start losing any momentum.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
The only success you can get out of Concord is to have it utterly and completely fail. To serve as a warning to Sony and other devs that this live-service shit has to stop.

The sooner Firewalk, MM, Haven and some others vanish into thin air, the better for Sony. Lot of dead weight.

hinch7

If anything this will be a good case study for Bungie/Sony for Marathon. As to not follow in the same footsteps, should they want their game(s) to succeed.

Last edited:
Lol fuck me, for 2 days i confused concord with marathon :messenger_pensive:

So this is the firewalk game, not bungie.

It looked a bit too shit to be a bungie game now that i think about it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Ex Bungie so you can see where Marathon's trajectory if the 'Gamers' dont like it.

Last edited:
Yup. You get one shot and this thing is suicide squad levels of backlash. It's dead.
There are loads of examples of bad GAAS games that are actually terrible on release that turn out great(Sea of thieves, FF14 ect). Absolutely dumb to say a reveal trailer makes it DOA when nobody has actually played the game. Press previews at SGF and a beta in July will easily change minds if it is great

Killjoy-NL

They're sitting on IP's like MAG, Socom and Warhawk and this is what they decide to dump time and money into.

🤦‍♂️
All those games would be Gaas though. 100% guaranteed.

It's the only logical evolution for multiplayer games.
So people would be whining regardless.

Last edited:

Astray

There are loads of examples of bad GAAS games that are actually terrible on release that turn out great(Sea of thieves, FF14 ect). Absolutely dumb to say a reveal trailer makes it DOA when nobody has actually played the game. Press previews at SGF and a beta in July will easily change minds if it is great
People are addicted to shooting off the hip whenever a live-service game gets launched.

I don't play or buy them at all, but I would be insane to presume what that customer segment thinks of a game that hasn't even launched yet. A customer segment that is the majority (and increasingly so) btw.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
And what happens if the gameplay turns out to be very good and addictive and produces videos with amazing plays from the beta?

Because that's what's ultimately going to make or break the game.
It still has a chance, but from my experience if it looks and smells like an opossum, it is one. No magical "gunfeel" element will elevate this from an Overwatch clone status to a next Helldivers 2 one. Most viable way i can see this game working is through some redemption arc.

DaGwaphics

LOL

42zxuunraq3d1.png

They probably need a few more characters in this roster, I'll give you that one.

Killjoy-NL

Now that's just sad. Why can't we have some epic co-op games.
HD2 is an epic co-op.

It's also Gaas.

It still has a chance, but from my experience if it looks and smells like an opossum, it is one. No magical "gunfeel" element will elevate this from an Overwatch clone status to a next Helldivers 2 one. Most viable way i can see this game working is through some redemption arc.
Very possible.

But NMS and FFXIV were epic turds once as well.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The game doesn't even have two months of life in it. Once the BLOPS6 early access campaign pre-orders hit, the game will be massively uninstalled.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Maybe I haven't been paying much attention to those, what are some of the better co-op campaigns to have released recently. BG3 has co-op right?
Yes, BG3 has coop. Before BG3 Larian also made Divinity OS2 (and 1) which is also excellent. Apart from those we also had Elden Ring, It Takes Two, Jagged Alliance 3, Risk of Rain 2 (roguelike), Roguetrader, Prodeus... there are more but these come to mind. For puzzles specifically, We Were Here games look good.

Last edited:
These efforts to persuade players into liking a gaas game isn't gonna work.
When players already know their vile tactics to dig holes in our wallets, giving a bare minimum products, enticing players by making funny cinematic trailers.
Giving 1 story based video per week :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Their target audiences aren't 7 year old clueless kids what these mega corporations think.
Why force down our throats while the message is clear.

200.gif

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
These efforts to persuade players into liking a gaas game isn't gonna work.
When players already know their vile tactics to dig holes in our wallets, giving a bare minimum products, enticing players by making funny cinematic trailers.
Giving 1 story based video per week :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Their target audiences aren't 7 year old clueless kids what these mega corporations think.
Why force down our throats while the message is clear.

200.gif
Worst part is that i do think its possible to create a "live service" model that attracts SP gamers. We've seen it before, just create a PvE game - preferably with no enforced internet connection - and sell expansions over time, maybe some support packs.

diffusionx

Gold Member
And what happens if the gameplay turns out to be very good and addictive and produces videos with amazing plays from the beta?

Because that's what's ultimately going to make or break the game.
If the game is great, that is going to help a lot, for sure. That's what established Apex back in the day. But Apex also just dropped out of nowhere and people were like "holy shit this plays amazing" while Concord turned off a lot of people already. Actually according to the Wikipedia they decided to do that because they were afraid of backlash from Titanfall players.

Pallas

We all knew that not all the GaaS games Sony is developing are going to be successful…this one could very well be one of the failures, not trying to judge but I’m very underwhelmed by Concord. Especially from all the hype it got from Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes and the other Sony stans.

Killjoy-NL

If the game is great, that is going to help a lot, for sure. That's what established Apex back in the day. But Apex also just dropped out of nowhere and people were like "holy shit this plays amazing" while Concord turned off a lot of people already. Actually according to the Wikipedia they decided to do that because they were afraid of backlash from Titanfall players.
True. I'll reserve judgement until after the previews and beta, but they sure did fuck up the reveal with the Woke nonsense and corny humor. No denying that.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Worst part is that i do think its possible to create a "live service" model that attracts SP gamers. We've seen it before, just create a PvE game - preferably with no enforced internet connection - and sell expansions over time, maybe some support packs.
That's basically what FFXIV and Destiny did.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
That's basically what FFXIV and Destiny did.
I wouldn't count those because the online element is still too strongly attached to the game. I'm speaking of stuff like Deep Rock Galactic, Monster Hunter, Euro/American Truck Sim, Wreckfest, Grim Dawn, and so on.

Last edited:

Why can't just make a good pure Single Player game out of this then, it'd have got highly positive response all over and would've sold far greater numbers with premium price. Gamers would love to see a game in GOTG like universe.

The SP gamers will probably just go to YouTube and check those weekly story episodes why buy and grind a baseless gaas game. This expansions technique isn't working as good which we've seen past decades. Even SP expansions hardly sells as good as main game. Not worth it.

Killjoy-NL

I wouldn't count those because the online element is still too strongly attached to the game. I'm speaking of stuff like Deep Rock Galactic, Monster Hunter, Euro/American Truck Sim, Wreckfest, Grim Dawn, and so on.
Fair enough. Still had Gaas in the back of my mind.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
This expansions technique isn't working as good which we've seen past decades. Even SP expansions hardly sells as good as main game. Not worth it.
Depends on the games and the nature of the expansion. As i mentioned before, E/A Truck Simulator has been doing it for a decade and still working for them. Naturally you can't keep it up forever - much like you can't GAAS - but its a good way to get extra mileage out of a game without having to re-develop core elements from the ground up.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Nope sea of thieves and final fantasy xiv are nothing like this. Nice try though.

Sea of thieves wasn't panned by the gaming community before launch. Maybe sony fans tried to insult it but it sold extremely well and was a success from launch. It was fresh and they built on it.

Final fantasy xiv launched and the negativity qas from the launch version of the game. Square invested to turn it into something good.

I bet that this will never recover. It's too much like overwatch. It's basically sonys bleeding edge.

Last edited:

BlazinAm

They do have a "Free Agents" section in the trailer which points to weekly hero rotations, popularized by F2P game League of Legends. I could see a full priced version where you get all characters and a free to play version where you're stuck with the weekly Free Agents.

If this is the case then they really should have communicated it. Seems like they are trying to hold things back but they have a beta out in over a month so it is a little late to do that. Also this game is closing in on triple digits budget there is no way it just PVP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom