• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PlayStation Plus Compares to Xbox Game Pass and Nintendo Switch Online

Lognor

Banned
$120/year - PS Premium: +700 games

$120/year - Xbox GamePass: +400 games

$50/year - Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack: 31 games + 2 expansion packs

thinking pondering GIF by South Park
But half of those PS games are streaming only and zero are day one releases. Probably most in the PS4 & PS5 category will actually be years old PS4 games. Yawn.

Give me those 400+ newer games where I can play 100% of them locally and get dozens of day one releases every year!

It's not even close.

Swift_Star

Banned
Good thing there's plenty of quality day 1 games too.

Not putting up one of the biggest aspects is disingenuous like you said in your first post, we both agree on that at least.
Nobody said there weren’t, there’s no need to be defensive.
But saying “day one first party games” it’s a vague statement and adds nothing. It doesn’t t matter if the games are first party, it matters that they’re good. Turds like Ryse and The order are first party. And they’re turds.

jigglet

Banned
Because It has one of the best games in the world, on their service.

Entire Nintendo online has more metacritic than both psnow, Ps+, gamepass, Xbox live gold combined.

If you disagree with me
Scared Short Film GIF by Red Giant

Yes they have the best games in the world. But their online and subscription services…yikes.

Lognor

Banned
But saying “day one first party games” it’s a vague statement and adds nothing. It doesn’t t matter if the games are first party, it matters that they’re good. Turds like Ryse and The order are first party. And they’re turds.
Day one first party games adds nothing? Huh? It adds a ton. That is the biggest selling point for Game Pass. It's a HUGE feature. Without it Game Pass would not be what it is. It would be similar to Humble Bundle. A subscription service with new games every month. It's not Humble Bundle.

kingfey

Banned
Ryse isn't a turd.
Maybe try bleeding edge.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

When someone directly replies to someone and brings up 'quality', it's not really difficult to read the subtext lol.

Also, an observation, "No need to be defensive" is your go to line in almost every thread of this nature when someone quotes you.

🤔

The fact that all MS published games will be available on release day is definitely a point that ought to be mentioned, not mentioning it is doing a great disservice to the service.

It doesn't matter how it ends up reviewing, for every Ryse (which isn't that bad of a game mind you) there's also a Gears 4/5, Forza 7/Horizon 5 and with the inclusion of Bethesda and Activision soon the importance of all first party games coming day 1 will only become a shinier feather on the cap.

That's not even going into how there's a plethora of non MS published games that also release day 1 on the service.

Swift_Star

Banned
When someone directly replies to someone and brings up 'quality', it's not really difficult to read the subtext lol.

Also, an observation, "No need to be defensive" is your go to line in almost every thread of this nature when someone quotes you.

🤔

The fact that all MS published games will be available on release day is definitely a point that ought to be mentioned, not mentioning it is doing a great disservice to the service.

It doesn't matter how it ends up reviewing, for every Ryse (which isn't that bad of a game mind you) there's also a Gears 4/5, Forza 7/Horizon 5 and with the inclusion of Bethesda and Activision soon the importance of all first party games coming day 1 will only become a shinier feather on the cap.

That's not even going into how there's a plethora of non MS published games that also release day 1 on the service.
Nah.

anthony2690

Banned
Overall I’m starting to think Nintendo’s single plan, which you can regularly get for £12 in the UK, is the best value of the bunch by quite some distance.
Till you realise how poor the online service is, I feel like the only reason I was subbed when I was, was solely to play Tetris 99.

That being said, it's dirt cheap and you probably won't miss the money regardless.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
But half of those PS games are streaming only and zero are day one releases. Probably most in the PS4 & PS5 category will actually be years old PS4 games. Yawn.

Give me those 400+ newer games where I can play 100% of them locally and get dozens of day one releases every year!

It's not even close.
That's a very based statement :messenger_tears_of_joy: So you think there's 350 PS3 games on the service?

And it's more like +250 newer games on GP.

We don't even know which games PS Premium has yet - we know it's a lot, but that's it.

kingfey

Banned
Why does Gamepass say no for family plan? I have my kids and myself on family gamertags and we play Gamepass with each other using the home console setting. Am I missing something?
Because officially, gamepass doesn't support family plan, unlike Nintendo.
There is no tier for it. Or else, I would have added my little brother to my subscription service.

Lognor

Banned
That's a very based statement :messenger_tears_of_joy: So you think there's 350 PS3 games on the service?

And it's more like +250 newer games on GP.

We don't even know which games PS Premium has yet - we know it's a lot, but that's it.
I misread Sony's statement. My bad.
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations

That second part, including PS1, PS2 and PSP games, if you have the option to download all of them that's one thing, but I'm not sure if some will be streaming only.

Regardless, that's still half of the library that is 15-25+ years old!

I'll take a smaller number of new games, including day one releases, over this any day of the week.

Because officially, gamepass doesn't support family plan, unlike Nintendo.
There is no tier for it. Or else, I would have added my little brother to my subscription service.
I see, thanks for clarifying. Seems like they could make some extra coin there. I'd happily pay to increase my Gamepass to 3-5 users simultaneously. I think the home console setting limited us to 2 playing simultaneously. After all we have 3 xboxes in the house.

Naked Lunch

Whatever you buy online on Sony and Nintendo consoles - they expect you to buy all over again every new console generation.
Nintendo and Sony are also proven to turn shit off in a few years. Wiiware games lost to time. PS3 DLC and games gone forever.
How people keep sending them money for these online services is beyond me.

Can you imagine if Steam charged you every few years for the same shit you already bought?
As for MS on the Series X - I can play digital titles I bought dating all the way back to 2004.

Thats really the only online service comparison I need.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I see, thanks for clarifying. Seems like they could make some extra coin there. I'd happily pay to increase my Gamepass to 3-5 users simultaneously. I think the home console setting limited us to 2 playing simultaneously. After all we have 3 xboxes in the house.
They could. But individual subscription makes alot of money for them, if they are paying separately. Not to mention they get more users that way.

Though it's scummy move. I would love this feature to be included.

They could. But individual subscription makes alot of money for them, if they are paying separately. Not to mention they get more users that way.

Though it's scummy move. I would love this feature to be included.

I see that being true in some cases, can only speak for mine. I'm not signing a second Gamepass to cover a third active session only. I'd like to see them do what Netflix do and provide a higher tier for more simultaneous sessions. I'd add AUD$5 per month for say up to 4 or 5 active sessions instead of the home console 2.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I misread Sony's statement. My bad.
  • Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
    • PS3 games available via cloud streaming
    • A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations

That second part, including PS1, PS2 and PSP games, if you have the option to download all of them that's one thing, but I'm not sure if some will be streaming only.

Regardless, that's still half of the library that is 15-25+ years old!

I'll take a smaller number of new games, including day one releases, over this any day of the week.
But they already stated that most third party publishers are onboard and we don't even know how many games they already paid for to be on the service. It's nice to have many things and options and I think that's what Sony is aiming for.

Right now they can look at Xbox from a comfortable place. If GamePass wins the audience and Xbox can show some very good numbers, without decline in content quality, Sony will do the same. But as of now, Sony is making very good numbers by sticking to what they've always done + adding something new - let's see how that goes.

I still like to go to the movies and concerts - even though Netflix and Spotify offers "nearly" the same.

AllBizness

Banned
Seems incomplete, why would you not mention the day 1 first party games. Its the main selling point for gamepass. Its the main reason i subscribed to it.
Because their 1st party games are trash until them Bethesda and Activision games start coming to the service. PS+ Extra is more valuable just cuz PlayStation has far better games and its $80 cheaper then Gamepass.

Because their 1st party games are trash until them Bethesda and Activision games start coming to the service. PS+ Extra is more valuable just cuz PlayStation has far better games and its $80 cheaper then Gamepass.
There's no equivalence if Sony aren't adding their games Day One. Otherwise what's the value in having a subscription that includes first-party games that most PlayStation owners will already own?

Kilau

I wonder if they will have a conversion system for those of us with years of Plus stacked up. I'm guessing no but I still have 4 years of Plus paid for. Next renewal date: 04/13/2026

adamsapple

I wonder if they will have a conversion system for those of us with years of Plus stacked up. I'm guessing no but I still have 4 years of Plus paid for. Next renewal date: 04/13/2026

Doesn't Plus turn into the Essential category automatically ? That was my assumption.

AllBizness

Banned
There's no equivalence if Sony aren't adding their games Day One. Otherwise what's the value in having a subscription that includes first-party games that most PlayStation owners will already own?
Normally I'd agree with you but millions of gamers want a PS5 that dont have one yet. PlayStation + Extra tier will be a Godsend and save me money on day 1 as I dont have a PS5 yet hopefully by the time the service launch I do and wont need to buy all the games I want to catch up on. For hard core gamers who got the console day 1 and purchased all the games they've wanted and easily still able to keep up won't need this.

Seems incomplete, why would you not mention the day 1 first party games. Its the main selling point for gamepass. Its the main reason i subscribed to it.
... this is kind of sad given how many games fall in that category, but this is a great buzz word, the marketing people who thought of it are genius.

They're like, of the big 3 platform owners we are the ones that have the least relevant 1 party/exclusive library... Let's use that to our advantage! Same fold legacy content! And the numbers they got are just good enough to force the competition to move.

At least Sony will use their emulation layer for ps1/2/3 and PSP now, hopefully they don't use this as a wedge to force people in their registration service.

Why not mention the number of games? that fact that many games on gp are redundant? and how crappy the experience is on PC?

odhiex

Some of you guys will never be happy.

Why don't you just enjoy what you like the most, and leave others enjoying theirs? No... nonsense!! we are here to fight for our beloved brand.

i dot see how day 1 first party games are the most important part when microsoft is barely releasing first party games right now.

Whats the value of gamepass been this year?

Its also funny to me that there are people basically trying to bully sony into putting their multi-million dollar selling games on the service while nintendo isn’t even putting modern games on their service at all. No GameCube games, no wii games, no Wii-U games, No switch games lol

Last edited:

adamsapple

i dot see how day 1 first party games are the most important part when microsoft is barely releasing first party games right now.

Whats the value of gamepass been this year?

7 first party published games came out on game pass in 2021 day 1.

52~53 games in total came out on game pass day 1 in 2021 irrespective of who published them.

MS hasn't had a first party release this year so far but Redfall, Starfield, Motorsport and likely others will get release dates in the coming weeks during the E3 window.

Day 1 game pass is pretty important when you get game of the year caliber games like FH5 and Halo Infinite, which won Neogaf's game of the year mind you, on day 1 on the service.

... this is kind of sad given how many games fall in that category, but this is a great buzz word, the marketing people who thought of it are genius.

see above.

At least Sony will use their emulation layer for ps1/2/3 and PSP now, hopefully they don't use this as a wedge to force people in their registration service.

That's already what they're doing by locking the classic games and PS3 cloud streaming behind the mid/higher paid tiers.

Why not mention the number of games? that fact that many games on gp are redundant? and how crappy the experience is on PC?

400+ console games, 400+ PC Game pass games. I think we all know that already.

And mentioning redundancy here but not mentioning how many of those 700+ games will also be redundant ? or how they may be counting the same game from different regions as different entries ? hmm.

Last edited:

adamsapple

PC GP is... really just a subset of console offers, with a much worse user experience though. Hard to believe they charge so much for it standalone.

Granted it's not my primary means of using GP, but I've never had the kind of nightmare issues I read people having weirdly enough.

Maybe it's cause I don't have a lot of games loaded on my PC via game pass ? just one or two at a time max ?

I’m not seeing 7 games there, what 7 1st party games came to xbox last year?
52~53 games in total came out on game pass day 1 in 2021 irrespective of who published them.

But thats not the topic of discussion, its 1st party games which are the biggest difference according to you and this thread.
MS hasn't had a first party release this year so far but Redfall, Starfield, Motorsport and likely others will get release dates in the coming weeks during the E3 window.

Day 1 game pass is pretty importan

Ok, so its very important but as of April of this year theres not even a first party game with a release date announced for xbox this year? I’m failing to see the logic here.

And even if those 3 games make it this year, you’re telling by 3 whole games in the latter half of the year (late year) is the biggest difference between these services?

This doesn’t sound like a genuine take

Last edited:
Top Bottom