• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How PlayStation Plus Compares to Xbox Game Pass and Nintendo Switch Online

kingfey

Banned
PC GP is... really just a subset of console offers, with a much worse user experience though. Hard to believe they charge so much for it standalone.
Because steam exist. Some publishers/Devs would like their Steam/Epic cut. As long as those 2 exist, PC gamepass would suffer.

As for the experience, the windows store has been getting few modification these day. Not enough, but its something.

Topher

Gold Member
I'll always say the best value is Game Pass via MS Rewards as long as MS keeps that program alive. Paying nothing out of my pocket is hard to beat.

But if I were paying then it really isn't about the number of games, but the quality of games and the type of games a gamer wants to play. Fans of Xbox games are naturally going to find more games they enjoy on Game Pass. Haven't seen the list yet, but I'd bet PlayStation fans are going to find more they like in PS+ tiers.

So there is no definitive answer. But fanboys will just reduce this down into list wars like always.

6asozz.jpg

The promise of classics very exciting to me. I really hope Sony delivers on that point but with some things Ryan has said in the past I’ll be cautiously optimistic.

I’d love to be able to play the best PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on PS5. It would be incredible if they can properly deliver.

Brofist

Granted it's not my primary means of using GP, but I've never had the kind of nightmare issues I read people having weirdly enough.

Maybe it's cause I don't have a lot of games loaded on my PC via game pass ? just one or two at a time max ?
I've never really had issues with PC GP even with a decent amount of games installed.

Pretty disingenuous to make a comparison and leave out key points. But that's what you get when there is a rush to put out a quick fluff comparison for clicks.

kingfey

Banned
Haven't seen the list yet, but I'd bet PlayStation fans are going to find more they like in PS+ tiers.
You have more faith than me.
All these years, one of the worst stigma gamepass had, was old games. Especially from "you cant name them".

I doubt they will like this, after bashing gamepass for having old games.

If they do, then that is hypocrisy, at its finest display.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I’m not seeing 7 games there, what 7 1st party games came to xbox last year?

Flight Sim console version
Halo: Infinite
Horizon 5
Age of Empires IV (PC Game Pass)
Psychonauts 2
AOE2 Definitive Edition (PC Game Pass)

I think I counted Grounded early access but that was late 2020.

Regardless, those are just the first party games that came on GP and that was before Bethesda's new output was confirmed for GP day 1, since Deathloop and Ghostwire were still under Sony embargoes.

But thats not the topic of discussion, its 1st party games which are the biggest difference according to you and this thread.

Ok.

I will refer you to this link again then.

Anything MS has published since 2017, when GP launched, to the foreseeable future will come to game pass day 1, including all future Bethesda and Activision games (once the deal closes).

You cannot tell me with a straight face that is not an important factor. If you can, I would have a hard time believing it.

Ok, so its very important but as of April of this year theres not even a first party game with a release date announced for xbox this year? I’m failing to see the logic here.

What logic are you looking for ? It's a pretty straight forward statement.

And even if those 3 games make it this year, you’re telling by 3 whole games in the latter half of the year (late year) is the biggest difference between these services?

This doesn’t sound like a genuine take

Yes, they're the biggest differentiator in that they will be marquee first party games that will be available on the service day 1, which is something you cannot say for the direct competition.

Doesn't matter if there's 3 first party games in a year or 10 first party games in a year.

it's a bullet point worth noting that all first party games *will* come tot he service on day 1.

It's not really a difficult to decipher statement or a disingenuous take. It's a simple fact.

So there is no definitive answer. But fanboys will just reduce this down into list wars like always.

6asozz.jpg

But that's the thing, the "your list is shit" argument is only coming from one side of the aisle :p

The other side is simply asking for proper representation of what's included, i-e the day 1 releases.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
But thats not the topic of discussion, its 1st party games which are the biggest difference according to you and this thread.
Having 1st party games day1, means people will immediately sub to it, granted, if the games are out by that time.

Right now, Its mostly old xbox day1 games, which people are burned out. Their new studio acquisition games would make the difference. Starfield, avowed, hell blade 2. So far these are 2022-2023 games. There are other un-announced games, and activision blizzard games. Since we have no idea about these, it wont be on the list. The later depends, if the deal finishes fast.

Flight Sim console version
Halo: Infinite
Horizon 5
Age of Empires IV (PC Game Pass)
Psychonauts 2
AOE2 Definitive Edition (PC Game Pass)
So realistically on xbox you got 4 games last year, not 7. And again, most of them in the back half of the year, so where was this value for the first 7 months of the year?

You can talk about whats gonna happen in the future all you want but we’re talking about todays value. Getting even 4 games a year is not a huge differentiator when we’re talking about a monthly subscription service.

You would be wiser to say the value in gamepass is 1st party titles, along with 3rd party titles and day one indies. But sony also does the latter two things.

Its not as big fa difference (today) as you and others are making it seem, especially for the increased price over the others.

Having 1st party games day1, means people will immediately sub to it, granted, if the games are out by that time.

Right now, Its mostly old xbox day1 games, which people are burned out. Their new studio acquisition games would make the difference. Starfield, avowed, hell blade 2. So far these are 2022-2023 games. There are other un-announced games, and activision blizzard games. Since we have no idea about these, it wont be on the list. The later depends, if the deal finishes fast.

I don think 3-4 games a year are a big difference tbh, especially with so many dry periods in releases

Its not exactly netflix that produces and puts out their own tv shows and movies multiple times a month

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
But that's the thing, the "your list is shit" argument is only coming from one side of the aisle :p

The other side is simply asking for proper representation of what's included, i-e the day 1 releases.

You have more faith than me.
All these years, one of the worst stigma gamepass had, was old games. Especially from "you cant name them".

I doubt they will like this, after bashing gamepass for having old games.

If they do, then that is hypocrisy, at its finest display.

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

kingfey

Banned
I don think 3-4 games a year are a big difference tbh, especially with so many dry periods in releases

Its not exactly netflix that produces and puts out their own tv shows and movies multiple times a month
The difference, is that the platform trusts their service, so much that they are willing to put day1 on the service. It shows, full back up from the company.

Also, not alot of people have the funding to pay $120 for 2 day1 games.

To you might not be a big deal, but it is for these people.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seems incomplete, why would you not mention the day 1 first party games. Its the main selling point for gamepass. Its the main reason i subscribed to it.

This exactly, any particular reason the number one reason why most gamepass subs joined would be omitted? Is this a news article or a paid ad? 🤔

adamsapple

So realistically on xbox you got 4 games last year, not 7. And again, most of them in the back half of the year, so where was this value for the first 7 months of the year?

This topic is about game pass, not xbox. Also, why are we supposed to break down game pass's value by monthly basis or quarterly basis again ? does it not receive games in those first months ?

You can talk about whats gonna happen in the future all you want but we’re talking about todays value. Getting even 4 games a year is not a huge differentiator when we’re talking about a monthly subscription service.

Why are you boiling it down to "getting 4 games a year" ? Those 4 games a year are first party published games, and are 4 more first party published games on day 1 than you will get on PS Plus.

Are there even 4 first party games coming out on the PS5 this year at all ? Horizon FW, GT7 and what else, God of War doesn't have a date and anything else like the TLoU remake etc are just heresy and rumors at best right now.

You would be wiser to say the value in gamepass is 1st party titles, along with 3rd party titles and day one indies. But sony also does the latter two things.

Its not as big fa difference (today) as you and others are making it seem, especially for the increased price over the others.

How many day 1 indies have come out on PS+ or PS Now over the last couple of years ? I don't have a number but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say not a lot, same for third party day 1 games. So, saying Sony also does the latter two is extremely wrong, at least in comparison to how many of those come out on GP day 1.

And It really is a big difference because it's a key feature one does and not the other. If you refuse to see it that way that's your personal opinion. But there's a reason you hear praises about game pass from the gaming media in general.

That'd be like me saying why is PS1/2/3/PSP cloud/emulation a big deal on PS Now ? You can already do that extremely well via emulation on PC. If we say that, that basically removes any appeal the service has in the first place.

I mean, just read this topic at how many different users are pointing out why IGN didn't mention day 1 releases in their table lol. It's a noteworthy point if there ever was one when a big sample size on a gaming forum is pointing it out.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I'll always say the best value is Game Pass via MS Rewards as long as MS keeps that program alive. Paying nothing out of my pocket is hard to beat.

But if I were paying then it really isn't about the number of games, but the quality of games and the type of games a gamer wants to play. Fans of Xbox games are naturally going to find more games they enjoy on Game Pass. Haven't seen the list yet, but I'd bet PlayStation fans are going to find more they like in PS+ tiers.

6asozz.jpg
Exactly why crying about “ign not talking about day one games” is stupid.

adamsapple

Coming out on top on that even without day one first party games (Activision/Blizzard/ Bethesda haven't even started yet) and without mentioning monthly perks like YouTube premium 4 months, Spotify, Discord free months, then free codes for Halo, World of tanks, Dauntless, PSO and others.

Don't forget Marvel Unlimited, 70K comics, all GPU members got 3 months access to it.

And 3 months Paramount Plus, both just within the last week.

It's clear the IGN list is being as diplomatic as possible.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

6asozz.jpg
ps+ have no day one releases ...having a service that give you years old games or fresh new released is basically game changing ... the taste of the games is and always will be subjective so it's better not to go to that level for the comparison ... we could talk about the metacritic average to get an idea of the games quality

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
ps+ have no day one releases ...having a service that give you years old games or fresh new released is basically game changing ... the taste of the games is and always will be subjective so it's better not to go to that level for the comparison ... we could talk about the metacritic average to get an idea of the games quality

Why do console warriors parrot what has already been said over and over again?

Happy Dr Pol GIF by Nat Geo Wild

MonarchJT

Banned
Why do console warriors parrot what has already been said over and over again?

Happy Dr Pol GIF by Nat Geo Wild
because you were reducing the comparison between the two services to a mere and obvious choice of taste.The two services are different. When ps + in one of its tiers will gives you all Sony productions at launch we will be able to compare the services. And there's nothing fanboy about stating reality...except some don't like hearing this

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
because you were reducing the comparison between the two services to a mere and obvious choice of taste.The two services are different. When ps + in one of its tiers will gives you all Sony productions at launch we will be able to compare the services. And there's nothing fanboy about stating reality...except some don't like hearing this

Nah, I just had my own take on it that didn't follow the console warrior script.
Well I'm guessing they get frustrated with all the bs. (You know, like this so-called comparison that's clearly skewed)
But you know that already.

And I wasn't engaging in any of that. So why you guys are coming at me, I have no idea. If you get this frustrated over this nonsense you need to just step away.

Exactly why crying about “ign not talking about day one games” is stupid.

That's not what I was saying, but it seems I have to be dragged into this.

IGN should have noted day one releases. I see no reason to leave it out.

Edit: And actually they did mention that in the article. Just not in the graphic.

"In contrast, Microsoft has taken a radically different approach on those two fronts, where the company pledged that all first-party games will be launching day one on Game Pass, which has led to games like Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 seeing huge launch player bases."

But it should have been in the graphic as well.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
All i care about is the library, if the content library is good or reasonable with the highest tier then im in day 1.

Last edited:

6asozz.jpg
To me it's not even about the first party offerings. The day one indie releases alone make Gamepass the better deal.

Dynasty8

Not sure why Nintendo's plan is even being compared. They don't offer a catelog of free games like GamePass last I checked.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The omission of GamePass's Day One release offering rather indicates something of an agenda behind this...

It seems a rather huge thing to forget to include by mistake.

Both services have merit though, and I'll likely subscribe to both of them.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hate gaming has come to this

Instead of investing on more first party game sony and xbox are focusing on subscription service

You can see the fanboys here are already braging about who has the better game offered at gamepass and spartacus on particular months

Thats where you realize how low we ve become

I dont mind spending money for real aaa game

Incoming more shitty netflix game like sea of thieves and crackdown👍

Last edited:

Lupin25

I wouldn’t exactly say this is true with games like Shadow Warrior 3, Virtua Fighter 5, and Control: Ultimate all appearing on PS Plus/PS Now day one.

Just 1st-party isn’t, which makes sense because it would devalue the gazillion high-budget, single-player exclusives they design. Sony doesn’t have multi-millions to throw away in order to achieve success lol.

It’s obviously not as prevalent as gamepass, but 3rd-party day one games are something they’ve dipped their toes in.

We just need to see what exact games Sony includes to this new, combined service before we decide on its value. I’m willing to bet 1st-party (and 3rd party) exclusives such as Demon’s Souls RE, Ratchet & Clank, Ghost of Tsushima DC, Spider-Man (confirmed), Death Stranding DC (confirmed), Returnal (confirmed), etc. Will all be there day one.

That’s insane value as someone with a PS5 who’s never bought them before
(Ie. me). Lord knows what kind of PS1, PS2, PS3 licensing Sony secured as well.

PS Plus won’t be better than XGP, because Sony won’t invest in subscriptions as much as MS has, but it’s not going to be half-assed either.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

But first party games were not the only ones to be day 1 on GP last year, there were way more than that, over 30 if you count indies. There was The Ascent, Outriders, Myst, Écho Génération, Crown Trick, Hades, The Artful Escape, Twelve Minutes, Football Manager 2022, etc.

Meanwhile you could count on one hand the games on PSNow which released in 2021 AND 2022 and still have one finger to put in your butt.

It’s just the usual dishonesty to compare the two services and ignore all the differences.

Last edited:
Just don't see this getting 1000+ subscribers. GAF has been telling us subscription services are bad for the industry, PS users don't like renting their games or having games curated for them. Surely this will be the biggest flop in PlayStation history if the critics were sincere

Topher

Gold Member
Just don't see this getting 1000+ subscribers. GAF has been telling us subscription services are bad for the industry, PS users don't like renting their games or having games curated for them. Surely this will be the biggest flop in PlayStation history if the critics were sincere

Who is GAF?

Star Trek Space GIF by Star Trek Fleet Command

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I wouldn’t exactly say this is true with games like Shadow Warrior 3, Virtua Fighter 5, and Control: Ultimate all appearing on PS Plus/PS Now day one.

Just 1st-party isn’t, which makes sense because it would devalue the gazillion high-budget, single-player exclusives they design. Sony doesn’t have multi-millions to throw away in order to achieve success lol.

It’s obviously not as prevalent as gamepass, but 3rd-party day one games are something they’ve dipped their toes in.

We just need to see what exact games Sony includes to this new, combined service before we decide on its value. I’m willing to bet 1st-party (and 3rd party) exclusives such as Demon’s Souls RE, Ratchet & Clank, Ghost of Tsushima DC, Spider-Man (confirmed), Death Stranding DC (confirmed), Returnal (confirmed), etc. Will all be there day one.

That’s insane value as someone with a PS5 who’s never bought them before
(Ie. me). Lord knows what kind of PS1, PS2, PS3 licensing Sony secured as well.

PS Plus won’t be better than XGP, because Sony won’t invest in subscriptions as much as MS has, but it’s not going to be half-assed either.

Yeah i get it and we back ad the budget.

"Just 1st-party isn’t, which makes sense because it would devalue the gazillion high-budget, single-player exclusives they design."

Ms spend the same or more (depend titr by title) for their first party games. And everything is already and will be released on the service

It will not be half-assed but the two services are different and are not comparative .... even the third parties are released on gamepass and in addition there is eaplay if we want to be honest.
The new ps+ is just the mix between ps+ and psnow. There's nothing wrong about it but not let it compare with gp

Last edited:
Top Bottom