• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How should Nintendo react to Microsoft now there true agenda has been revealed?

How should Nintendo React?

• Business as usual no change

• Keep at arms length and monitor interest

• Cease all future partnerships and collaborations

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skelterz

I’m pretty shocked by the leaks it’s been a few days now but one thing I just can’t shake is the hubris of Phil Spencer, The fact he genuinely believes Nintendo would be better off under the Microsoft banner is laughable to me but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

In light of this information how should Nintendo react.

bender

What time is it?
want-this-pikmin-catch.gif

Sakura

It was more the nature of the email that was leaked specifically the part about using a proxy to buy stocks in large volume I think any company would care to be honest.
There are a finite number of shares for sale, they can't just go buy up the number of shares needed to take over the company. Even if they somehow could, I doubt Japan would allow it.

IceSage91

Banned
"True motives have been revealed"
As if a western corporation thinking they could absorb and run a foreign competitor better is some kind of crazy new revelation

twilo99

I'll give you the Valve thing, but Microsoft, or anyone else for that matter, is 100% not buying Nintendo.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If there was any real danger I think they would probably know already. IIRC Nintendo owns a considerable percentage of their own stocks. They have been buying them back for many years.

When Hiroshi Yamauchi died (Google him) his family sold a lot of his stocks back to Nintendo. He used to own almost ten percent of the entire company.

In short, Nintendo can defend themselves from a hostile takeover without that much effort. Plus they would probably get help from the japanese government.

Don't worry, it's just not gonna happen.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I think these conversations were before Microsoft noticed that regulators understand gaming market and won't let them have everything. Nintendo as a platform holder is impossible for them to get (even if Playstation goes out of business) and Valve as a biggest PC store owner would be very tough to get as well.

Ozzie666

Ruthless aggression, send the Ninjas to Phil's house, send the Ninjas to steal all the stuff on his shelf.

I pray for all gamers that Nintendo has done what it needed to do - to stop anything like this happening. Remindming me of a Ubisoft and Vividen thing.

Just for the record I own a Switch a PS5 a PC and an Xbox one S, there’s no bias here I’m just completely disgusted with these type of practices and Microsoft has been pushing it recently to be honest.
I love how you mentioned literally every current system right now that you supposedly own, in your first reply. I call BS on no bias.

Also, if you want to be less obvious, wait for at least a few replies before you try to cover yourself.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I'm pretty sure everything else but cease all collaborations is just semantics. I suspect Nintendo's BAU IS keeping them at arm's length and keeping an 👁 on them.

Solidus_T

Nintendo doesn't need to react.
Why would Nintendo need to react?
I doubt they care.
Actually this is a situation where it's more than Microsoft simply wanting to buy Nintendo. They have a partner that has acted as a proxy that is buying shares to get a position on their board so they can push for market expansion, effectively putting them at risk of devaluing the company.
IIRC, Nintendo did buy back about $400 million of shares last year. This could have been a reaction to Microsoft's partner.

Doom85

Nintendo of America: wow, FUCK YOU, Phil.

Nintendo of Japan: who’s Phil Spencer? …..head of Xbox? They’re still around? That can’t be right, we haven’t seen one in our country in ages!

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Nintendo doesn't need to react.
I mean, Phil only spoke about acquiring Nintendo? There's no harm there. You can speak on whatever you wish. Think out loud. Not a concern there. Phil isn't even "practicing" acquiring Nintendo. Not to mention this was spoken about like, three years ago, I believe? You guys need to Tranquillo...

OuterLimits

Nintendo lives in their own bubble and can do what they want. They are not in the competition with Sony or Microsoft. They are also a Japanese company and they have strict rules and regulations that protect them.

Weekend gaf is slow I see...

Nintendo is absolutely in competition with them. Most people don't have unlimited funds obviously. So if they are spending heavily in Nintendo ecosystem, that often results in less spent with Sony or Microsoft.

If both the Switch 2 and PS5 Pro come out next year, I will be buying the Nintendo product and not be spending money on the upgraded Sony console.

Last edited:

Katatonic

Cat's outta the bag. While many of us already saw MS' plans in the industry a long time ago (around 2007 for me), in a post leak world, I gotta question anyone who downplays what is essentially an eventual hostile takeover of Nintendo. Like go read the emails. They talk about it so nonchalantly too lol.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Nintendo lives in their own bubble and can do what they want. They are not in the competition with Sony or Microsoft. They are also a Japanese company and they have strict rules and regulations that protect them.

Weekend gaf is slow I see...

Pretty much this. The Japanese government would step in once any foreign investor wants to own more than I believe 10 percent of a company in Japan.

Pretty much this. The Japanese government would step in once any foreign investor wants to own more than I believe 10 percent of a company in Japan.
Nintendo is absolutely in competition with them. Most people don't have unlimited funds obviously. So if they are spending heavily in Nintendo ecosystem, that often results in less spent with Sony or Microsoft.

If both the Switch 2 and PS5 Pro come out next year, I will be buying the Nintendo product and not be spending money on the upgraded Sony console.
xiDMBfP.gif

Last edited:

That's your personal choice and an exception to the rule. Majority of gamers treat Nintendo as either a main console or a secondary system. It's either a PS5 and Switch. Xbox Series X and Switch. I've never looked at Nintendo as my main console, but I would always buy one no matter what for the simple fact I want to play their games and this also true for majority of gamers.

You on the other hand don't care as much for Sony product or their games. Or maybe you already have a PS5 and you don't see a reason to get a PS5 Pro which is also a very solid choice.

kiphalfton

Just for the record I own a Switch a PS5 a PC and an Xbox one S, there’s no bias here I’m just completely disgusted with these type of practices and Microsoft has been pushing it recently to be honest.

It's okay to say you hate a company.

I have two switches and still hate Nintendo, specifically how cheap they are with their games.

Ozzie666

Even as a private company this is subject to regulatory approval. It will never be given due to Steam.
I am sure they could find a way, like an exclusive partnership or agreements, without having to ouright buy them. But obviously this goes against everything Valve and Gabe stand for, thank god.

Top Bottom