• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How should Nintendo react to Microsoft now there true agenda has been revealed?

How should Nintendo React?

• Business as usual no change

• Keep at arms length and monitor interest

• Cease all future partnerships and collaborations

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pelta88

It is technically possible, but I find it very unlikely that ValueAct would be able to persuade Nintendo management to sell to Microsoft.

Plus ValueAct might not even be currently doing that.

GHG GHG and others explain in detail how Phils manoeuvre works in practice. But it begins with having the influence of a number of Nintendo's shares.

Let yourself buy as soon as possible, on neogaf and twitter you keep reading that the consolidation of the market is the best for the user.

brian0057

Banned
As far as I know, this isn't the first time a massive company showed interest in buying Nintendo. Hell, I'm almost sure that Microsoft themselves was one of those companies.
I'd assume they'll just ignore it and go business as usual.

Last edited:

skit_data

Xbox just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much you know about Xbox culture (I'm an expert) but backwards compatibility is a huge part of it.

Jokes aside I really think it's wierd if they go down an all digital route, because that's probably one of the cooler things about their consoles. Their BC program seems really awesome and I've been thinking about getting an Xbox due to it. If they'll go all digital and the Series X is their last console with a disc drive I think it's a pretty big mistake if they wanna reel in some people that primarily play on other ecosystems.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nintendo knew MS was sniffing around and I am sure they took proactive measures to combat it in the case it got hostile.

DanielG165

Nintendo are a multi billion dollar company; I doubt they neither care nor will react in a way that’s dramatic or will make for any juicy conversation and commentary on here. It’s business, and this likely isn’t the first time that the company has experienced this. Microsoft were probably just another potential customer/buyer to Nintendo. Companies like these don’t “react” in a manner that people think.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Have an epic moment where they meet up with Sony on a big bridge or something "I don't like you...but dammit do I respect you. Let this be the hour we make it...the Nintendo Playstation!"

They unite their first parties and their funds, buy all the pubs, and Satya admits defeat, agreeing to unconditional surrender and to never enter gaming again.

Phil Spencer is exiled to the Sahara

Skelterz

It's okay to say you hate a company.

I have two switches and still hate Nintendo, specifically how cheap they are with their games.

I don’t hate them, the Xbox 360 was my main console during that generation and I have a lot of adoration for a lot of the Xbox exclusives this isn’t about hate, Don’t get it twisted.

Just some that come to mind are

Gears of war series
Halo series
Lost odyssey
Blue dragon
Viva piñata
Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts
Sea of thieves
Age of empires

There’s more but I digress, hate doesn't come into it I’m a gamer it’s only about the games for me but when I see this type of behaviour I find it hard to respect the company.

Last edited:

Skelterz

Wow, shocked that a company wants to buy another one :messenger_face_screaming:
Again it’s pretty obvious by now Microsoft like buying company’s, it’s the manner of which there setting out to do so. it’s not enough for them to know Nintendo have zero interest in being bought out or merging there trying to go about it using stock market force which is highly questionable behaviour in my opinion.

Skelterz

Sell to Apple to spite Microsoft
I think the more companies that can remain independent and competitive the more healthy the gaming landscape for everyone to be honest. The last thing you want is a monopoly because then your at the mercy of whatever bullshit gets set out by few major companies left.

BlackTron

It is technically possible, but I find it very unlikely that ValueAct would be able to persuade Nintendo management to sell to Microsoft.

Plus ValueAct might not even be currently doing that.
The purpose of ValueAct isn't to convince them, it's to coerce them into a position where they are easier to buy. That's what makes it so nefarious. In one long sentence:

"If we can't buy you, we will use a long-game plan through proxies to buy shares who will use their clout to pressure you into overextending into a weak money-shedding position, so we can buy you"

Woopah

The purpose of ValueAct isn't to convince them, it's to coerce them into a position where they are easier to buy. That's what makes it so nefarious. In one long sentence:

"If we can't buy you, we will use a long-game plan through proxies to buy shares who will use their clout to pressure you into overextending into a weak money-shedding position, so we can buy you"
But even if they got them to that position, they would still have to persuade Nintendo management to be bought right? Since Phil rules out a hostile takeover.

Last edited:

BlackTron

But they would still have to persuade Nintendo management to be bought right? Since Phil rules out a hostile takeover.

I see many roadblocks to it realistically happening, but if they actually sabotaged/weakened Nintendo enough from the inside over the long game, you never know. I don't really see MS owning Nintendo as we know it. I see them owning a former shell of Nintendo that owns all the characters, or just the rights.

For example you could see Konami either getting bought or selling all their IP as they go down. But I just don't see any world where MS owns a Nintendo that is conducting development of real games in Japan...and I doubt MS wants that part of it anyway. They would love a weak cheap sabotaged/desperate Nintendo however and are actively trying to create that

BlackTron

Pretty sure Nintendo's massive cash reserves are there to prevent a hostile takeover....it's been reacting and not "doing what it wants" for years

Which is why the plot to take over Nintendo involves pressuring them to deplete their cash reserves over the long game. The mere fact that there is a desire/intent/plan to do so, regardless of how successful they will ever be at it, is alarming

Last edited:

cireza

Nintendo could buy its own shares as a protective measure. That's how Guillemot defended Ubisoft from Vivendi's attempted hostile take over a couple of years ago.
Nintendo could also poison pill the company if there was a take over. So that the buyer ends up with a damaged, useless husk of a company. Or some other baggage.
"I want the money of investors but I don't want to be bought."

Lol. I remember Lady Decade ridiculing Nintendo not taking the deal. But she embellished things (intentionally or not) by leaving out the buyout part, claiming that MS only wanted to provide the hardware. As if. But then LD has always been a little contrarian.

The Alien

Banned
Amazing the fanboying on this.
An agenda? To what, get better? Duh...that's the fucking point, right? Think most people on here just want MS to eternally stay in 3rd place and be happy being dominated for decades to come. MS can never have a win. Fuck that.

If u actually read the quotes around this topic (and Steam) l, they said they would never go thru it but if the opportunity opened up.

We're all in agreement that MS is in 3rd place for 1st party games. They need help....and they have more money than God...so nothing id off the table for them. They are in a different league than Sony or Nintendo. They could buy both and it'd be barely a blip on their quarterly. They just spent $70B in ABK yet the valuation on the IP alone came back at $100B.

Skelterz

An agenda? To what, get better? Duh...that's the fucking point, right? Think most people on here just want MS to eternally stay in 3rd place and be happy being dominated for decades to come. MS can never have a win. Fuck that.

If u actually read the quotes around this topic (and Steam) l, they said they would never go thru it but if the opportunity opened up.

We're all in agreement that MS is in 3rd place for 1st party games. They need help....and they have more money than God...so nothing id off the table for them. They are in a different league than Sony or Nintendo. They could buy both and it'd be barely a blip on their quarterly. They just spent $70B in ABK yet the valuation on the IP alone came back at $100B.

I mean you could make the argument that if they spent that type of money on nurturing talent within there studios they’d have more quality 1st party games available, Nintendo and Sony have a bit of time on Xbox they’ve been able to establish there IP over a number of years.

It sounds like to me Microsoft is more interested in just bypassing what makes a video game company great, completely missing the point and not earning your stripes with the consumers.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"true agenda"

ByK0UToCcAAyBg2.jpg

Woopah

I see many roadblocks to it realistically happening, but if they actually sabotaged/weakened Nintendo enough from the inside over the long game, you never know. I don't really see MS owning Nintendo as we know it. I see them owning a former shell of Nintendo that owns all the characters, or just the rights.

For example you could see Konami either getting bought or selling all their IP as they go down. But I just don't see any world where MS owns a Nintendo that is conducting development of real games in Japan...and I doubt MS wants that part of it anyway. They would love a weak cheap sabotaged/desperate Nintendo however and are actively trying to create that
Surely they'd want Nintendo's development strength intact no? From Phil's email he thinks Nintendo's future is putting games on other people's hardware, so I guess he want them making strong, exclusive games for Xbox and PC (on Gamepass of course).

They won't be able to react. MS's goal is to coerce them via their BoD. They go the shares back from ValueAct, but that won't be the last time MS drives at Nintendo. As long as MS is in gaming, Nintendo is in their crosshairs.

Skelterz

They won't be able to react. MS's goal is to coerce them via their BoD. They go the shares back from ValueAct, but that won't be the last time MS drives at Nintendo. As long as MS is in gaming, Nintendo is in their crosshairs.

I do remember reading there’s some type of protection law in japan that prohibits foreign companies buying Japanese company’s I don’t know the ins and outs but maybe that enough to thwart any hostile takeover.

AmuroChan

Well, for one, make sure they own 51% of their stock moving forward. Even though MS said a hostile takeover would look bad for them, it doesn't mean they won't do it. And now we also know that they've been using a proxy to buy up as many Nintendo shares as possible to use as leverage in the future.

Ozzie666

Disappointed, did I miss the meme with the Nintendo employees playing Splatoon in the office? crawling over the furniture? Seems like a perfect response.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
With all Microsoft is going through to buy Activision Blizzard. Imagine the ruckus that would ensue if they tried to buy Nintendo..

Sony and Nintendo are like the Metallica and megadeth of the metal world, on one hand you can’t help but imagine the possibilities but on the other you have two great bands making there version of thrash.

You know why it didn't happen, right?

It wasn't Sony being the complete victim.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned

Someone is going to have to translate this one...not sure what it is trying to say.

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Last edited:

Woopah

Well, for one, make sure they own 51% of their stock moving forward. Even though MS said a hostile takeover would look bad for them, it doesn't mean they won't do it. And now we also know that they've been using a proxy to buy up as many Nintendo shares as possible to use as leverage in the future.
I'm not an expert on the Japanese law on these things, but I'm fairly certain it would illegal for Nintendo to own 51% of their own shares.

It'll be around 10% max

I doubt they care in all honesty and they will do whatever is in their best interest as it's a business. If that means having closer ties to Microsoft so the Switch 2 has Call of Duty and even some Bethesda titles then so be it. The Japanese government would never allow Microsoft to acquire Nintendo so its irrelevant.

I don’t think Nintendo cares honestly. They are aware that many companies would like to acquire them. You don’t think MS, Disney, Apple, China and Saudi have all discussed it? Come on know.

People here are over reacting for no reason.

I’m all for consumers being more educated on products and for they are made. But if the consumer sticks their nose into business decisions. Be prepared to understand the truth about business. It is not here to put smiles on your face. It is here to make money!

I'm not an expert on the Japanese law on these things, but I'm fairly certain it would illegal for Nintendo to own 51% of their own shares.

It'll be around 10% max
The Saudi PIF fund is the largest holder of Nintendo stock outside of Japan. It is over 10%. But not too far over.

Top Bottom