• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How should Nintendo react to Microsoft now there true agenda has been revealed?

How should Nintendo React?

• Business as usual no change

• Keep at arms length and monitor interest

• Cease all future partnerships and collaborations

Results are only viewable after voting.

Woopah

The Saudi PIF fund is the largest holder of Nintendo stock outside of Japan. It is over 10%. But not too far over.
To be clear, I think it's legal for other entities to be over 10%, but I don't think it's legal for Nintendo to have over 10% of their own shares.

Or at least, it wouldn't be if Nintendo was listed in the UK on the FTSE100.

AmuroChan

I'm not an expert on the Japanese law on these things, but I'm fairly certain it would illegal for Nintendo to own 51% of their own shares.

It'll be around 10% max

It doesn't have to be Nintendo themselves per say. It just has to be them and their allies. As long as that group collectively owns 51% of the shares, it will help fend off any potential hostile takeover from foreign entities.

jm89

Send in the boys

i-will-beat-you-up-mario.gif

Woopah

It doesn't have to be Nintendo themselves per say. It just has to be them and their allies. As long as that group collectively owns 51% of the shares, it will help fend off any potential hostile takeover from foreign entities.
Well we know from Phil's email that he doesn't think a hostile takeover action is the right move

Nintendo management has to be close their biggest institutional investors, and keep them convinced that its better for them financially if Nintendo remains independent.

AmuroChan

Well we know from Phil's email that he doesn't think a hostile takeover action is the right move

Yes, I did mention that in my original post. However, it doesn't mean they won't do it just because it's not the "right" move. Also, they can always change their mind in the future. So if I'm Nintendo, I would put as much protection as possible in place just to be safe. I'm sure the Saudi's probably doesn't give a shit whether it looks good or not if the situation presented itself where they can acquire Nintendo via hostile takeover.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Once again…
Nintendo are a protected company.
Japan monitors all foreign investment and will limit/deny purchases of a certain value.
Microsoft LITERALLY CANNOT buy Nintendo no matter how much they want to.

Now it is a massive joke that Phil Spencer thinks Nintendo will be better off under them, especially when Nintendo makes more profit per year than Xbox does…

Woopah

Yes, I did mention that in my original post. However, it doesn't mean they won't do it just because it's not the "right" move. Also, they can always change their mind in the future. So if I'm Nintendo, I would put as much protection as possible in place just to be safe. I'm sure the Saudi's probably doesn't give a shit whether it looks good or not if the situation presented itself where they can acquire Nintendo via hostile takeover.
I think Nintendo did mention in a past investor Q&A that they had strategies in place to fend off a hostile takeover, but obviously they didn't reveal publicly what those strategies are.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
And thats all they can do, only throw money around because they cant manage studios for shit 😂
All that money and they cant even lead the industry…
Here we go again....smh

Sony began with purchasing an excessive amount of 3rd party deals to try and force Microsoft out of the gaming industry. They were not successful. The only thing they were successful at doing is poking a trillion dollar company into doing what they've done in the past but on a different level.

You can't go around poking the sleeping dragon repeatedly and not think that MF isn't going to wake up and rotisserie dat ass at some point. You know its coming! Why even play with that? Lol.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Here we go again....smh

Sony began with purchasing an excessive amount of 3rd party deals to try and force Microsoft out of the gaming industry. They were not successful. The only thing they were successful at doing is poking a trillion dollar company into doing what they've done in the past but on a different level.

You can't go around poking the sleeping dragon repeatedly and not think that MF isn't going to wake up and rotisserie dat ass at some point. You know its coming! Why even play with that? Lol.
Man you guys are dense. Sony did not start that trend…
Xbox started the trend of buying up third party deals during the 360 era when Playstation was struggling.
Playstation historically throws money at exclusives that were otherwise not going to be made such as Street Fight 5.
Xbox has lost 3 gens, been close to being shut down by Microsoft TWICE that we know of, THAT is why they are spending like crazy, hoping that by forcing marketshare they become viable…

SaintALia

Yea, Bill Gates wanted to buy Nintendo and Yamauchi told him to kick rocks. They even tried to scope out Sega too. IIRC, they even tried to talk to Iwata about a joint console and Nintendo said, 'nah, I'm good, thanks'. They even tried asking Sony.

Nintendo would be a big get for MS, always was the case, still is, regardless of CEO. First time I'm hearing of active talk in regards to acquiring them though, thought the idea was pretty much put to rest, but if it ever happens...kinda deal.

Personally I thought the joint console deal was kinda interesting, considering MS would have handled the networking and software side of things.
I think we all know their reaction by now:
105RDrl.jpg

Last edited:

Gavon West

Man you guys are dense. Sony did not start that trend…
Xbox started the trend of buying up third party deals during the 360 era when Playstation was struggling.
Playstation historically throws money at exclusives that were otherwise not going to be made such as Street Fight 5.
Xbox has lost 3 gens, been close to being shut down by Microsoft TWICE that we know of, THAT is why they are spending like crazy, hoping that by forcing marketshare they become viable…
The goal posts are moving again. Didnt start the trend of buying up 3rd party exclusives?

Okay bro...you win. lol

Just to bring back into focus: Microsoft isnt buying publishers to try and "brute force" anything. lol. They're buying publishers to make sure they aren't left out to certain titles due to Sony's dominance in the industry. It literally makes more financial sense for them to purchase the publishers ( all acquisitions made so far WANTED to be purchased.) than it does to continue to try and compete with Sony using their own play book. This was a direct result of Sony buying up 3rd party exclusive deals, leaving the Xbox platform out for 1 to 3 years - and some - permanently, with some really key, high profile Ip's. Hell, Starfield was LITERALLY the IP that broke the camels back. This began the acquisitions of major publishers.

Not going down this rabbit hole anymore as its been discussed to death. Good discussion. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gojiira

The goal posts are moving again. Didnt start the trend of buying up 3rd party exclusives?

Okay bro...you win. lol

Just to bring back into focus: Microsoft isnt buying publishers to try and "brute force" anything. lol. They're buying publishers to make sure they aren't left out to certain titles due to Sony's dominance in the industry. It literally makes more financial sense for them to purchase the publishers ( all acquisitions made so far WANTED to be purchased.) than it does to continue to try and compete with Sony using their own play book. This was a direct result of Sony buying up 3rd party exclusive deals, leaving the Xbox platform out for 1 to 3 years - and some - permanently, with some really key, high profile Ip's. Hell, Starfield was LITERALLY the IP that broke the camels back. This began the acquisitions of major publishers.

Not going down this rabbit hole anymore as its been discussed to death. Good discussion. Thanks.
Whatever you say lad…Let me know how you feel in a few years when Xbox has killed the industry :)

*sigh*…

Not shocked by the leaks at all. They’re actually not that interesting. Nintendo shouldn’t and won’t do anything to “react” (why would they? That’s a head-scratcher). Also, Microsoft has literally tried to acquire Nintendo in the past starting over 20 years ago. And it was well-publicized at the time. This is just two people emailing each other in a private conversation about just jabbering away on pipe-dream stuff that isn’t happening.

Not really seeing the front page headline here, gotta be honest 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Gavon West

If Xbox wasn’t owned by Microsoft the current the Xbox series S&X wouldent exist mate.
"If" But that isn't the case now or will ever be. Your response is weird. Xbox is Microsoft and vice versa. Thats like saying. If Playstation wasn't owned by Sony there would be no Playstation. Like, wha???

Whatever you say lad…Let me know how you feel in a few years when Xbox has killed the industry :)

🙄 and *yawn*. This is purely just hyperbole. No one’s killing anything, other than AAA games continually getting bigger in scope, taking more people to produce, taking longer to make, eventually to the point that entire console generations are going to go by without a single game from certain developers having been finished yet. That and eventually the economics won’t work anymore outside of a handful of major games. But that’s all three platform holders and all major third-parties causing that to unfold before our eyes. Got nothing to do with Microsoft. For one, I like the choice they give players vs forcing premium title purchases at full price like the other two, with no other way to play the game.

Skelterz

"If" But that isn't the case now or will ever be. Your response is weird. Xbox is Microsoft and vice versa. Thats like saying. If Playstation wasn't owned by Sony there would be no Playstation. Like, wha???

My point is Nintendo didn’t have the luxury of unfathomable wealth backing there machine they had to back there creative exploits to the hilt to get where they are, the ideology that buying your way into that position just doesn’t sit right with me.

Maybe Microsoft/Xbox should concentrate on there own studios and how to better manage and extract top quality IP from them as opposed to looking at other studios and trying to buy them out.

Last edited:
Nintendo's top secret classified reaction to Microsoft's plan for the long term game with ValueAct share buyouts and nods to hostile takeovers when the opportunity arises:

Planet Of The Apes Laughing GIF

Gavon West

My point is Nintendo didn’t have the luxury of unfathomable wealth backing there machine they had to back there creative exploits to the hilt to get where they are, the ideology that buying your way into that position just doesn’t sit right with me.

Maybe Microsoft/Xbox should concentrate on there own studios and how to better manage and extract top quality IP from them as opposed to looking at other studios and trying to buy them out.
But Microsoft IS focusing on their own studios and extracting quality IP's (and services) from them. What are you on about? Nintendo is surviving on IP's they've been running for decades - not that there's a problem with that - and the Switch is a very family friendly console hybrid..

Plus, them buying studios and publishers is simply a play from Sony's playbook - just upgraded. You speak as if Sony had the finances that Microsoft had, they wouldn't do the same thing. We both know that isn't true. Sony only rocks 3rd party deals as that's pretty much the most they can afford. Of course they've bought a few studios but, that's been their M.O. since the beginning.

Microsoft can't buy anyone who doesn't WANT TO BE BOUGHT OUT. These aren't hostile takeovers here. Not one acquisition has been hostile.

At the end of the day, it wasn't sustainable for Microsoft to continue to keep trying to acquire 3rd party deals when they weren't going to get the same deals Sony received due to Sony being the dominant player in the game. Even Kotick tried to strong arm Microsoft with the CoD deal because Sony had a stranglehold on the industry. It only made feasible sense to simply purchase the dev or publisher who was open to being bought out. That way they didn't have to miss out on marquee titles that weren't going to see the light of day on Xbox for years - if ever.

Hugare

MS managed to buy 2% of Nintendo's shares through their proxy

They would need much more than that for Nintendo to start caring

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Nintendo needs to be strong and keep MS out. A little known fact is MS did the same with Sony trying to tank the company. The end result was Ghostbusters 2016 and Morbius. Stay vigilant or something equally disastrous could happen.

As I said above, this story is a non starter. After I thought about it, Nintendo probably sends MS a big “thank you”. This has removed all conversation about Switch 2.

Also Nintendo getting acquired by anyone coming off the success of the Switch is a non starter.

If you are all concerned about anyone being “acquired”. You should be looking over at Disney!
Just Saying Devils Advocate GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom