• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How should Nintendo react to Microsoft now there true agenda has been revealed?

How should Nintendo React?

• Business as usual no change

• Keep at arms length and monitor interest

• Cease all future partnerships and collaborations

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nintendo just needs to make sure they keep succeeding like they do now. As long as they remain financially strong, MS cannot touch them.

The Japanese government is probably aware of these developments and will also be monitoring any threats to one of their crown jewel domestic firms.

ZoukGalaxy

Like this very precisely
mister rogers middle finger GIF
Satoru Iwata News GIF

Forsythia

"true agenda" lol. You're acting like Phil is a generic moustache twirling villain whose evil plan to take over fhe world has been leaked. He's a business man first, have people been forgetting that?

Nintendo doesn’t give a shit, they have their own business men as well.

SHA

I think 20 years ago Nintendo made fun of Microsoft when they approached them and I'm not joking, I don't think the situation has changed.

Last edited:

schaft0620

Nintendo is not going to give a shit but if I were Nintendo I would go nuclear and make a $500 console the Switch can dock in.

Duchess

Nintendo stay the course. They keep doing what they've been doing for years.

I was one of those who heavily criticised Nintendo's family friendly image, back in the day. On reflection, it's worked out very well for them.

Mostly.

1280x720.jpg

If its anything I think sony and Nintendo should unite against Microsofts aggression on publishers sony has the console and nintendo does good with the handheld sony games on the go on nins portable Cross save and progression carry on where ever u go at home or out and about

Woopah

The email is someone aksing Phil about Nintendo, and him basically saying "owning Nintendo at somepoint in the future would be cool, here's my thoughts on the matter".

They don't actually plan on acquiring Nintendo any time soon, therefore there's nothing Nintendo needs to do.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The email is someone aksing Phil about Nintendo, and him basically saying "owning Nintendo at somepoint in the future would be cool, here's my thoughts on the matter".

They don't actually plan on acquiring Nintendo any time soon, therefore there's nothing Nintendo needs to do.

It’s not that simple, but it’s true that he is mostly talking about them being in the best position outside of Japan. That’s key because he is already admitting that first there would have to be no interest for a merger in Japan.

But how tone deaf are these people? Nintendo and MS aren’t a match at all, from company ethos to all outside gaming business like theme parks and merchandising.

Other western companies would be a far far better fit if it ever came to it.

It does however let us take a look into the people inside MS who look at gaming through an excel spreadsheet, which explains the type of fanbase they have.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Nintendo probably have an eye on who is buying larger number of shares anyway. Even if they didn't, they will now and say nothing. Nintendo will not be outplayed here.

When MS want to put games on Nintendo, I doubt they give a shit. Nintendo games are not going on Xbox/PS prior to the leak and nothing changed.

Last edited:

Hudo

Well they can't prevent companies buying shares.
Nintendo could buy its own shares as a protective measure. That's how Guillemot defended Ubisoft from Vivendi's attempted hostile take over a couple of years ago.
Nintendo could also poison pill the company if there was a take over. So that the buyer ends up with a damaged, useless husk of a company. Or some other baggage.

Hudo

Nintendo probably have an eye on who is buying larger number of shares anyway. Nintendo will not be outplayed here.
This. I wonder why people seem to think that Nintendo's upper mangement and board of directors is made up of naive idiots. There are many people there who have studied this whole business bullshit. There are people there who have been at it longer than most of the people on this board were alive. Fucking hell, Yamauchi himself built Nintendo up again also by scheming and shrewd business deals.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nintendo is gonna wait until Microsoft officially approaches them with an acquisition offer, so Nintendo can laugh Microsoft out of the room again.

Leonardo Dicaprio Laughing GIF

skit_data

Lol, never really thought about it before but "X" means no/negative in Japan (there's that thing about the playstation O and X buttons having the opposite functions in Japan).
It's kind of funny how Xbox literally means the No-box.
If they lean into it with their streaming/cloud technology it could actually work in their favor whereas before it probably didn't.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They said they won't do a hostile takeover but wait till Nintendo's business is unsustainable. That is a fair technique because people don't buy Nintendo hardware if it is priced above a certain point e.g., 3DS.

Shubh_C63

This is a joke thread.

If you were the CEO of any company, ofcourse you have contemplated and tried to get everything under you.
It's freaking Microsoft. This is why their CEOs are paid to expand their business with new ideas.

lyan

Lol, never really thought about it before but "X" means no/negative in Japan (there's that thing about the playstation O and X buttons having the opposite functions in Japan).
It's kind of funny how Xbox literally means the No-box.
If they lean into it with their streaming/cloud technology it could actually work in their favor whereas before it probably didn't.
X means no in most places isn't it? even the unicode for the no gesture is going to show you an X.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The days when people didn't see MS' intentions a mile away are long gone!

Everyone knows how they do business and what their goals are liable to be, as much as anything because they've never hidden any part of it. Sure they do a lot of PR to try and convince the world that they've reformed, but regularly one of their execs always ends up saying the quiet part out loud because its in their corporate DNA to expand and dominate.

Skelterz

This is a joke thread.

If you were the CEO of any company, ofcourse you have contemplated and tried to get everything under you.
It's freaking Microsoft. This is why their CEOs are paid to expand their business with new ideas.
I understand the sentiment but the way he describes going about it is underhanded, Irresponsible also to leave that type of narrative residue in email form regardless if it’s peer to peer, The whole thing stinks

Esppiral

Ms said at the very beginning of their console journey that they wanted to acquire Nintendo this is a nothing burger news, but let's pretend we didn't know it already and keep fueling the consoles war.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I’m pretty shocked by the leaks it’s been a few days now but one thing I just can’t shake is the hubris of Phil Spencer, The fact he genuinely believes Nintendo would be better off under the Microsoft banner is laughable to me but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

In light of this information how should Nintendo react.
Why do you expect any reaction? Nintendo has known this for years. Any sane business person knows that large companies with a gaming interest would love to buy Nintendo. This is a giant nothingburger that people are blowing out of proportion just like with the comment about Xbox leaving gaming if non xbox revenue does not increase more than what some internal team estimated.

FFs even the mid-gen refresh leak is a nothing. Ooh new designs with the same spec. Well I guess the controller is noteworthy. I certainly won't buy another controller until that is released.

Pelta88

There is a lot of "Nintendo wont sell" or "They laughed at Microsoft the last time they tried to purchase them" type posts.

Most seem unaware that Phil Spencer, in emails spoke of how they can purchase Nintendo. They're using a Venture Capitalist firm, which their ex board of directors is now the ceo of. The firm is called: ValueAct And Microsoft has a way into Nintendo via the purchasing of Nintendo shares. Microsoft already has influence to the tune of 1.1 Billion worth of Nintendo stock.

Thinking it's not possible is a mistake. It is in fact a Market reality via this method...

ReBurn

Gold Member
Actually this is a situation where it's more than Microsoft simply wanting to buy Nintendo. They have a partner that has acted as a proxy that is buying shares to get a position on their board so they can push for market expansion, effectively putting them at risk of devaluing the company.
IIRC, Nintendo did buy back about $400 million of shares last year. This could have been a reaction to Microsoft's partner.
Nintendo's share buyback wasn't big enough to stave off a secret hostile takeover or devaluation by an agency working on behalf of Microsoft. It represented less than 1% of the company's shares. Share buybacks don't protect against that kind of thing anyway. They likely did it to protect the value of their assets considering the devaluation of their pile of cash amid global inflation.

It's an interesting theory that Microsoft is trying to use ValueAct to buy influence over Nintendo, though. I think what was in the leak was just Phil believing he's influential enough to have leverage, not something actually happening.

Woopah

There is a lot of "Nintendo wont sell" or "They laughed at Microsoft the last time they tried to purchase them" type posts.

Most seem unaware that Phil Spencer, in emails spoke of how they can purchase Nintendo. They're using a Venture Capitalist firm, which their ex board of directors is now the ceo of. The firm is called: ValueAct And Microsoft has a way into Nintendo via the purchasing of Nintendo shares. Microsoft already has influence to the tune of 1.1 Billion worth of Nintendo stock.

Thinking it's not possible is a mistake. It is in fact a Market reality via this method...
It is technically possible, but I find it very unlikely that ValueAct would be able to persuade Nintendo management to sell to Microsoft.

Plus ValueAct might not even be currently doing that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom