• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you reboot the Star Wars Prequel trilogy?

Jubenhimer

The Star Wars Prequels aren't looked at fondly among fans. What was hyped up to be the epic origin story of how the original story happened, ended up being a series of bland, boring, convoluted and anti-climactic films that only raised more questions than answers. While not as hated as the Disney-era films are now for their blatantly hamfisted SJW messages and disrespect to the original universe, the prequels are generally seen as a joke, and many fans would rather forget they ever happened.

Lets say you have a DeLorean and decided to Travel back to 1999, How would you go about fixing the mess that George Lucas and Fox made with the original prequels? How would you make a Star Wars Prequel Trilogy that both gives backstory to set up the first 3 movies, while also being more faithful to the original films?

In a basic sense, I'd first put more emphasis on action/adventure, not make up random shit to explain Star Wars Terminology on the spot, and absolutely say no to Jar-Jar Binks. I'd also make Anikin a more interesting and likable character who starts off as a genuinely nice person who believes in the Jedi philosophy, but is slowly led down a dark path, and now has to choose whether to stay with the Sith, or return to his Jedi origins. Basically, give us a more believable explanation and conflict as to why he became Darth Vader, rather than some whiny kid who becomes a Jedi because it's cool, but becomes evil because he didn't get what he wanted. That's not interesting, that's lazy. But more importantly, I'd also limit the amount of free reign Lucas has over the Trillogy. George Lucas is a great writer, but he's not really a great Director, something he himself has admitted. I would have Lucas write the story and serve as executive producer, while getting somebody else on Directing duties. The most disappointing part of the prequels is that there are good movies hiding underneath all that misguided and clumsy direction, bringing in people who can guide the team to make those films truly great would've been better than letting George go nuts on all of it.

But how else would you make a new prequel trilogy?

Last edited:
I was always pretty happy with the prequels, Jar Jar included. The existence of Darth Maul himself is enough to make me happy. I just turned 9 and that shit was the fucking coolest shit EVER. George Lucas is Star Wars. Not having it any other way. The Disney movies are all fan fiction in my eyes.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I love the prequels so nothing really. Maybe add in the scene of Anakin meeting Padme's parents, and rewrite the fireplace scene.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
  • Use about 90% less CGI and green screen. Those movies feel like video games
  • Retain the fall of Anakin and rise of the Empire plot but make it not be about boring fucking trade disputes
  • No clones (and definitely no bugs)
  • A better comic relief than Jar Jar "meesa cancer" Binks
  • No conversations about sand and definitely no creepy compliments

kiiltz

Lucas's weak point is dialogue and writing so I'd probably get someone to give the scripts a once over or a thousand. Sidebar, it's pretty phenomenal how he actually brought the worst out of Portman's acting ability.

I'd probably recast Christensen or kid Anakin? There's something really wrong there because in TPM Padme's only meant to be a few years older then Anakin but it seems more like a 10 year gap at least so it was really jarring when they were all of a sudden in a relationship in TCW.

Tone down the romance cos that was corny as fuck and think of a more organic way for Anakin and Padme to fall in love rather than have Anakin leer at her like a creep while saying "I will protecc u" and then having her gush and be like "oh Annie".

I never had a problem with Jar Jar tbh and I think the clones and political backdrop was needed to address how the Emperor worked his way into power, in fact I think the overall is p good just the execution that is terrible.

Damn JJ why didn't you just remake them instead of ANH

Anakin would have been a young man from the start, like Luke, not a whiny kid.

No Jar Jar.

No C3PO or R2-D2, new droids instead.

The core would be the relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan and their crazy adventures together, think Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in space, the betrayal at the end would be heartbreaking, like no dry eye in the theater devastating, not cheesy "I have the high ground Anakin!" BS.

Just overall it needed better acting and writing, less green screen, more sets and locations.

The Prequels have their moments, which is what makes it frustrating, a lot of cool, creative imagery and ideas and a handful of effective emotional moments (most notably, The death of Qui Gon, the "I slaughtered them like animals!" scene and the "'Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?" scene)

For all their faults there is more "there" there than the sequel trilogy, people accused the Prequels at the time of just being lazy cash ins but Lucas still cared about telling an actual story, we had yet to see the real cash ins.

Ol'Scratch

I think the sequel trilogy is so bad people now look fondly at the prequels.
I do not agree at all. But it is nostalgia that is making people realize that they were a bit harsh on the prequels. The same will happen with this recent trilogy. Once the circuit breaks and people stop paying attention to what everyone else says and time passes they will say they were not bad at all if not even good. The internet is a terrible thing for some things and movie and tv fandom are some of those things in my opinion.

daveonezero

Banned
Don’t talk to many fans do you? Don’t touch them in my opinion.

I’ve heard that lots of people see them positively and also the Clone Wars are awesome.

dan76

When production was gearing up there were rumours going around about various casting etc. Around '96 I heard from an associate producer that Gabriel Byrne was going to play Annakin. Then another bonkers rumour was Christopher Walken might play him. The whole trilogy was going to be set in during the clone wars.

Obviously this was complete garbage but sounded amazing. Then the movie came out.

I can't stand the prequels, I think they are terribly written, awfully acted, pedestrian, lack energy and are the inverse of what made the OT so good. There is no lightness of touch, everything is heavy, ponderous and humourless.

I would start with an older Annikin, have his lust for power turn him to the dark side rather than trying to save his lovers life (if that was the reason. His motivations in Revenge of the Sith make zero fucking sense. In the space of a day he goes from wanting to turn Palpatine over to the Jedi to killing a bunch of kids).

In the prequels the Jedi are a bunch of idiots. Basically police for politicians. Hardly the cool roaming Samurai from Japanese cinema.

Actually, screw it. There was no need for the prequels. The best reboot would be to erase them from living memory. Darth Vader built C-3PO. Fuck.

mcz117chief

Jar Jar is annoying as heck and ruins the atmosphere of many scenes but overall I thought it was fine. The one thing I would change is to make clone troopers actually look competent. In the movies they are being cut down by the dozens. They look and behave like line infantry from the 18/19th century. Aren't they supposed to be these super soldiers cloned and trained by Jango Fett? They should be the absolute masters of disasters, instead they stand in the open and get shot down constantly. I'm pretty sure we see way more clones getting killed than droids.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is what we call "tactical blob". Even militia know that this is a VERY BAD idea.

9F27197664AD12F3084756742ACC93B991DC4046

"Muh epic training, bruh." You can literally see the droids in this shot and the clones are still standing upright, shooting from the hip, standing a feet apart from each. MAJOR UGH!

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Most fans like the prequels. It's the keyboard warriors on twitter that don't like them. Aside from Jar Jar the movies are good. I wouldn't reboot anything. Leave Lucas's 6 movies as they are and leave Star Wars be. They should never have made anything post or pre Episode VI

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd keep much of the broad strokes the same as I appreciate Lucas' world building and overall vision. There would definitely be different script writers and directors though.

The first film would be set just before the Clone Wars. Anakin would be 16-18 years old rather than a child. The clone wars would begin at the end of the first film and Anakin would be reluctantly dragged into it.

The second film would be set a few years into the clone wars and would primarily be a war film. It would show the full horror of this huge galacic war and the scale of the loss of life. It's during this war that Anakin would start to show his disillusion with the Jedi Order, would start to show the symptoms of PTSD and the rise of his 'dark' side.

The third film would show the conclusion of the Clone War, the after effects of such a huge war (rise of the Empire and the end of the Jedi). Anakin would not actually turn into Vader in this film but would be left for dead by Obi Wan and discovered by the Emperor at the very end.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The second film would be set a few years into the clone wars and would primarily be a war film. It would show the full horror of this huge galacic war and the scale of the loss of life. It's during this war that Anakin would start to show his disillusion with the Jedi Order, would start to show the symptoms of PTSD and the rise of his 'dark' side.
If that were the case, don't you think more Jedi would have joined Anakin? We only have one Jedi on the Empire's side in episode IV.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Don’t. It’s fine. Yes it’s goofy but it’s Star Wars. The films are fine and fun. Try watching them on a Saturday afternoon.

This doesn’t have to be Shakespeare or Lawrence of Arabia. I’m so sick of every piece of media having to be a perfect epic piece of art. Don’t take it so seriously.

People need to get over themselves. If “Attack of the Clones” is too embarrassing a title then maybe you aren’t really into old school pulp sci fi.

JimiNutz

Banned
If that were the case, don't you think more Jedi would have joined Anakin? We only have one Jedi on the Empire's side in episode IV.

Why not.
Maybe we would see a Jedi civil war so that they kind of destroy themselves rather than getting wiped out by a bunch of storm troopers/clones?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Why not.
Maybe we would see a Jedi civil war so that they kind of destroy themselves rather than getting wiped out by a bunch of storm troopers/clones?
Quite convenient that only one would survive though. I think Anakin's attachment to his mother, then Padmé, was crucial. If a Jedi civil war did take place I think someone in the original Star Wars would mention it, instead Obi Wan clearly states that "Darth Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights." Not that "Darth Vader and other rebellious Jedi".

JimiNutz

Banned
Quite convenient that only one would survive though. I think Anakin's attachment to his mother, then Padmé, was crucial. If a Jedi civil war did take place I think someone in the original Star Wars would mention it, instead Obi Wan clearly states that "Darth Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights." Not that "Darth Vader and other rebellious Jedi".

Oh I would still keep his attachment to both mother and Padme and both would die quite horrible deaths during the war.

As for the other Jedi. Most would die during the war. Basically the war would be far more epic and devastating than it was portrayed in the films and eventually lead to the Jedi tearing themselves apart. That way Palpatine is even more of a puppet master in the background manipulating events.

I do get what you're saying about it being convenient that only one Jedi turns or survives the civil war and maybe that is left ambiguous. If Anakin is the most powerful Jedi then it would make sense that he would be primarily credited with destroying the Jedi Order so Obi Wans line still stands. I don't see why it has to be taken so literally that he is the only one that killed/hunted Jedi.

I still think the Jedi being destroyed by engaging in a war that spiralled out of their control and lead to their own civil war is better than what we got.

Silent Duck

Why remake them? Just do what George did to the original three, re-edit, add scenes, and change who shot first about 6 times and then bury the original theatrical versions.

Some scenes I would add to Revenge of the Sith would be:
-In the final fight between Anakin and Obi Wan, have Anakin Winning until Obi Wan throws sand from Tatooine at Anakin. The sand, being too coarse and rough, would cause Anakin to lose focus during the fight and ultimately lose... after having both legs and an arm cut off. Then being set on fire by lava.

-add a scene in Revenge of the Sith where the younglings shoot first.

-Actually change Vader dialogue from “Noooooo!” To “Do not want!”

-Instead of Jedi being slaughtered, they all become tired and disappear from using force projection telecommunications too much. Obi Wan would stand there lamenting the fact that the Jedi should have just used holographic communications instead of the force to project images of themselves.

-Padme would die of a broken heart... and also because the medic on hand is secretly a serial killer who was obsessed with Count Dooku.

Last edited:
This is more of a 'how I would have done it' than ideas for a reboot.

1. Put Sam Witwer in the Maul makeup, and let him go to town in Ep 1 with a much bigger role in the plot. Witwer turned a throwaway character into one of the most insane and compelling villains in all of Star Wars.

2. Let Christensen act. He's a good actor under other directors, so let him do his job.

3. Cut the midichlorion scene entirely. Leave it a mysterious space wizard power.

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could come up with a few more.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Technically speaking, going back in time and taking control from Lucas isn't a reboot.

But anyway...

Short answer: start at episode 2 to give more time for character development and make Anakin's turn to the dark side less stupid. The trilogy's ESB comes at the end of the second movie, and the third movie can dedicate more time to Vader hunting down Jedi.

etp_1

Why would you reboot the prequels? It is great fun.
It had Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan, Christopher Lee as Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Ham Palpatine and much more which made it very likeable...at least for me and unironically i really liked "Revenge of the Sith"

4770339-2290553470-KBOj4.gif

I'd rather have the new sequels rebooted.

cryptoadam

Banned
Anakin is Lukes age in part 1. Why does a Wato keep a kid as a slave? Why can a kid build a pod race? Who the hell lets a 9 year old kid race in what is essentially a death race? How can you have any romantic chemistry between a 9 year old and 25 year old ?

Darth Maul does not die in part 1, he sticks around for the entire series being the big bad. Combine him and Grevious into one character, Maul keeps adding cybernetics to himself after each fight. A nice parallel to Darth Vader being half man half machine.

Show actual training of Anakin, like Yoda and Luke. None of this a bunch of kids in a room waving around fake lightsabers.

Instead of being shunned by the Jedi, Anakin is actually promoted very quickly along the way and is hailed as a hero and one of the greatest Jedi's.

Get the F out with the Bush comparisons, and no Trump comparisons either on a reboot. Leftist/SJW's can keep their noses out of it.

The series should start and end with the clone wars. Scrap the whole mystery that I don't think was ever solved or addressed in regards to who created the clones. Clones would be the bad guys. Storm troopers would not be clones since in the OT they are normal people and not clones.

Elcid

Banned
I'd add about 30min or more to Episode 3 to give more of a time gap between Anakin going bad and killing a bunch of kids. I'd also give Anakin better acting lessons but besides that I like the prequels.

I'd add about 30min or more to Episode 3 to give more of a time gap between Anakin going bad and killing a bunch of kids. I'd also give Anakin better acting lessons but besides that I like the prequels.
I always thought the prequels were garbage thanks to Mr. Plinket...............and I still think they are garbage. BUT, hoooo boy Disney has made me have a new found respect for George and the prequels. AT LEAST they were imaginative and something new.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
1 will always be crap except for the Darth Maul stuff. Filoni fixed 2 and 3 with the Clone Wars (and Rebels)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought the prequels were garbage thanks to Mr. Plinket...............and I still think they are garbage. BUT, hoooo boy Disney has made me have a new found respect for George and the prequels. AT LEAST they were imaginative and something new.
jerry.jpg

Jubenhimer

I would have the Clone Wars/Rebels guys do it. IMO Clone Wars is what the prequels should have been.

The TV shows demonstrate just how much wasted potential there was in the Prequels. We know from both the Clone Wars shows that the Prequel saga has a lot of cool stories to tell, it's just that the movies that represent them really don't do it justice. It only further emphasizes the point that there were actually good movies hiding in the prequels, underneath all the clumsy and misguided writing and direction.

VulcanRaven

I would shoot Episodes 2 and 3 on film and not digitally. Also Lucas could have hired other people to direct them. Less CGI.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
You just dont. Move on from that part of the star wars saga. I am suprised at how many people say they like 1,2,3.

I wouldn't. I would make the Timothy Zahn Thrawn Trilogy instead. Because it's awesome. Obviously, concessions would have to be made, due to the inherent selfishness of some of the original cast dying, but it can be worked around.

Use about 90% less CGI and green screen. Those movies feel like video games

I don't know where this came from, but the prequels had more practical effects and set pieces in them than the original trilogy.

I absolutely love the prequels, and even though I grew up with the original trilogy, I prefer them over the originals. Think they are among the best films ever made, and didn't deserve the criticisms they got from fans. They have more depth and layers, far more lore, interesting places, and characters, and special effects that stood the test of time.

George Lucas is a absolute genius.

There's a great YouTube channel dedicated to the prequels, called The Star Wars Prequels Channel

plasmasd

No point in rebooting the prequels now. They have all been stained and need to all be fully rebooted. I want to reboot all nine films. Give fans what they want with less CGI and a dialog writer as good as John Milius. Score will be done by Junkie but he will be contained to emulating Morricone. None of Williams cues will be reused. All of the films will have to live up to the visual fidelity and quality of ESB. Stylistically they would probably fall all more in line with the pace and design of the first Star Trek movie. Hate it yet? Good. It will never happen anyway.

Catphish

The Star Wars Prequels aren't looked at fondly among fans. What was hyped up to be the epic origin story of how the original story happened, ended up being a series of bland, boring, convoluted and anti-climactic films that only raised more questions than answers. While not as hated as the Disney-era films are now for their blatantly hamfisted SJW messages and disrespect to the original universe, the prequels are generally seen as a joke, and many fans would rather forget they ever happened.

Lets say you have a DeLorean and decided to Travel back to 1999, How would you go about fixing the mess that George Lucas and Fox made with the original prequels? How would you make a Star Wars Prequel Trilogy that both gives backstory to set up the first 3 movies, while also being more faithful to the original films?

In a basic sense, I'd first put more emphasis on action/adventure, not make up random shit to explain Star Wars Terminology on the spot, and absolutely say no to Jar-Jar Binks. I'd also make Anikin a more interesting and likable character who starts off as a genuinely nice person who believes in the Jedi philosophy, but is slowly led down a dark path, and now has to choose whether to stay with the Sith, or return to his Jedi origins. Basically, give us a more believable explanation and conflict as to why he became Darth Vader, rather than some whiny kid who becomes a Jedi because it's cool, but becomes evil because he didn't get what he wanted. That's not interesting, that's lazy. But more importantly, I'd also limit the amount of free reign Lucas has over the Trillogy. George Lucas is a great writer, but he's not really a great Director, something he himself has admitted. I would have Lucas write the story and serve as executive producer, while getting somebody else on Directing duties. The most disappointing part of the prequels is that there are good movies hiding underneath all that misguided and clumsy direction, bringing in people who can guide the team to make those films truly great would've been better than letting George go nuts on all of it.

But how else would you make a new prequel trilogy?
I'd tap Ridley Scott and James Cameron, drive a truck full of money through the wall, grab a sandwich, peace out, and check back in five years.

Weilthain

Banned
Anakin skywalker, noob farm boy gets caught up in an adventure to rescue princess/queen padme.

He finds help in weirdo Jedi Knight obiwan Kenobi and begins to learn the ways of the force yadadada.

Basically have the same character dynamics with love triangle as the original trilogy just have anakin turn bad. Would have been great.

Yeah move on.

But if you'd reboot, then I'd change the whole story..

* skip the childhood shit.
* Anakin is already around 35 years old when converting to the dark side. He looks like mid 50es in RotJ without helmet, anyway.
* Make Anakin a cool guy you sympathize with, and not a whiny retard.
* the Clone Wars is a fight of the republic against some evil cloned race

Top Bottom