• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars as a setting is kind of boring

NahaNago

Star wars the setting was seeming boring to me lately. I wasn't quite sure if it was the new movies or the world building but like without the jedi and sith for me it just seems like a boring space cowboy sci-fi series. Space cowboy sci-fi should not be boring though.

BlackTron

I'm 3% dumber now for hearing this.

This site is my only source of such comments because I have such a bubble around myself to protect my sanity. When something seeps through, I need to watch an 80's action movie just to recover from the status effect

Edit: But don't get me wrong. It's easier to run, but the consequences of stupidity should be unmasked for all to see. No matter how unbearable

Last edited:

Tams

that's the problem with modern star wars, it is going against itself. ot star wars is a throw back fantasy, things like the dread castle, space wizards who practice arcane magic, laser swords, the black knight, the rarely-seen evil king, icky-dirty aliens, farm boy made good, princesses and the rogues they fall in love with. new star wars is about modernity, egalitarianism, progress, ideas that it wears on it sleeve, but really is better suited for star trek to explore. star wars should be looking 'back' for its stories, if you want to look forward, watch star trek.

This.

And the ever so famous OT opening screen crawl is:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

BlackTron

This.

And the ever so famous OT opening screen crawl is:

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

In a postmodern time, in the galaxy I fantasize about making my workplace environment...

I guess they took the opening out for a reason.

That because J J Abrams made it suck

At least with Lucas we had got a wide variety of fantastic and interesting settings. Say what you want about Lucas and the Prequels but the world building was fantastic

Nowadays it's mostly just OT paste and copy for lot of the planets

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Another thing that kind of takes me out of it is the calender system. I know it's cliche for sci fi / fantasy to use unique calender systems, but it's useful for a reason.

Star Wars uses ABY - BBY, which means After the Battle of Yavin / Before the Battle of Yavin. Everything in the Star Wars timeline uses the Battle of Yavin as it frame of reference. Yes, I'm sure Yavin would be a major event. But this would be like using The Landing of Normandie as our calender start point. Utterly bizarre? Why not use the founding of the Empire as its starting point? That makes much more sense and would follow real life conventions.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Star Wars an new hope. The best film.
empire an amazing film
return of the Jedi. Brilliant fun.

revenge it’s ok but dark and dumb at times
phantom menace it is dumb many times
clones it is dumb all the time and great battles with wooden dialog. Natalie Portmans best outfit though.

solo. Fun and entertaining
rougue one it is entertaining good Vader sequence

the new trilogy has some good scenes and good cg but as a package is fundamentally flawed and dead to me.

I got that big Star Wars Year by Year book, latest edition I think, and it was an interesting read but I abandoned it after Rogue One. Who gives a shit about the new stuff lol.

The book is a window into dystopia btw, I had no idea Star Wars got so big so fast. The merchandise and spin-offs went from 0 to 100 as soon as the first movie was out, and they were selling empty boxes for upcoming toys and shit... Absolutely insane and terrifying.

Top Bottom