• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Orin GA said:
What happened to that stranded ship.
Still stranded last I heard, the Coast Guard told them they couldn't help until conditions improved. Considering the size of Ike they might still be waiting.

My friends who work in the JP Morgan Tower downtown Houston are looking for a picture of the damage to it. Has anybody seen any pictures?

Miguel

captive said:
The chase bank building downtown on the east side had every window blown out from top to bottom.

I got no power at my house.

Been an interesting night to say the least.
:lol Is it the angled wall? ...no, I think the East side is on Travis. I was hoping my office got trashed

(37th floor, Chase Building, SW facing side, I believe.

Miguel

omgimaninja said:
My friends who work in the JP Morgan Tower downtown Houston are looking for a picture of the damage to it. Has anybody seen any pictures?
I may make a drive out tonight before the sun goes down to see if I can make it to an area I can get a shot of it, I just want to see what ot expect in terms of work lol.
If not, I may need to head to the williams tower for work on mon/tues.

Macam

Banned
omgimaninja said:

24982132.JPG

I haven't been following the thread, (I have lots of friends and family in the affected areas, though everyone I know evac'd to "higher ground," thank God...) so forgive me if this has been posted before.

The Austin American-Statesman is running a Twitter feed as they have gone back into the remains of Galveston:

http://twitter.com/trackingike

People are walking the streets of Galveston in a zombie-like state. #Ike
3 minutes ago from web

Rob Miranda, 32, said. "I can't believe the devastation right now," he said. "There are a lot of business and homes destroyed." #Ike 8 minutes ago from web

A hearse just drove past us. #Ike 9 minutes ago from web

Jorge's big camera has moisture issues. Not currently working. #Ike 9 minutes ago from web

"We should have listened to the warnings they gave us," Rumgay said. "I can't believe it actually happened." His home got 6 ft water #ike 10 minutes ago from web

Just interviewed Sean Rumgay, 16, who rode out the storm. This afternoon, he was surveying damage. #Ike 10 minutes ago from web

We're at Broadway at 55th Street. The smell of smoke is everywhere. Galveston is burning. #Ike 15 minutes ago from web

So far, haven't seen any roofs torn off buildings, but there's massive flooding. #Ike 16 minutes ago from web

There are mangled cars pushed everywhere. Debris litters every parking lot. #Ike 17 minutes ago from web

We can only move 20 mph at the fastest because of all the damage and debris. There is just massive, massive destruction #Ike 18 minutes ago from web

The triangles of Moody Gardens still intact. #Ike 21 minutes ago from web

Hoping we don't lose wireless connection. Causeway is just littered. We are literally driving around boats. Seriously. #Ike 21 minutes ago from web

Rain has stopped. Wind has died down. It's still cloudy. #Ike 23 minutes ago from web

Helicopters flying all over Galveston Bay. National Guard and Coast Guard. #Ike 24 minutes ago from web

It is just an absolute war zone on Galveston. #Ike 25 minutes ago from web

The bay side of the island is completely under water. It looks like an absolute war zone #Ike 29 minutes ago from web

Smoke billowing from fires all over Galveston. #Ike 30 minutes ago from web

Injured pelican lost and confused on the Causeway. Others lay dead. Nervous abuot what we're about to see. #Ike 30 minutes ago from web

About to cross the Causeway. #Ike 32 minutes ago from web

Highway littered with refrigerators, boats, jetskis, coolers, you name it. #Ike 32 minutes ago from web

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Since no one has posted about it, I heard a couple of hours ago that the ship that was stuck cause its engine died a tug boat was on the way to pull them in.

MechDX

finally ventured out.
livingston is a fuckin mess. trees down everywhere, carports and roofs missing everywhere, I dont see power returning for 7-10 days.

I am seriously fucking depressed right now. kind of want to walk away and say fuck it.

Chumly

Man after hearing some of the stories on Galveston Island this morning all I gotta say is thank god it made a direct hit on them instead of to the south.

Chumly

shagg_187 said:
:lol @ Ike

If your wondering what my comment was about its because that if the storm had hit to the south of Galveston the storm surge could have been 8 feet higher than what it was. And with some of the stories about people having to be rescued and staying in 1 story buildings in Galveston it would have NOT been good.

The northeast side of the storm is the worst part and luckily Galveston was spared that

EDIT: Heres a good picture

ike_surge_update.png

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
As some of you know I was stuck working in downtown overnight. I work in the El Paso building and the windows in our lobbby area got ripped out. Checked out the 17th and 18th floor and 2 offices that were in the same location got ripped to shreds. Wells Fargo building which is the 2nd tallest in dowtown had several windows busted and one window several stories high had what looked like a beam hanging from it.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Got home about 3 hours ago. My patio had some damage, my double doors were broken off the hinges, plants/trees uprooted/broke, some damage to the bottom of the house but nothing major.

Saw a couple houses with trees on them and a few gas stations that seemed to have caved on themselves. No real flooding just wind damage to buildings.

Krowley

Cnn has been showing some aerial footage of various neighborhoods and it looks like this was a very very bad hurricane. There is terrible devistation over a massive area from the storm surge, all the way into Louisiana. Everything looks like it's been sloshed and caked with mud, with houses moved off their foundation and everything else. There is also a surprising amount of wind damage.

As bad as this is, it's hard to imagine that this is actually better than they were expecting. It doesn't really look like they dodged a bullet, just maybe got hit with a slightly smaller bullet.

camineet

Banned
Lord Helmet said:
Depends on where you live... another poster mentioned this bad boy in the other thread... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Tip
"Typhoon Tip was the largest tropical cyclone on record with a diameter of 2,220 km (1,380mi)."

Yep, Typhoon Tip was both the largest and the most powerful (lowest pressure, fastest winds) storm of its kind (Typhoon, Tropical Cyclone, Hurricane, different names same thing) ever recorded in the entire world. It would've eaten Ike for breakfast.

tropcyc12.jpg

Typhoon_tip_peak.jpg

Eteric Rice

Krowley said:
Cnn has been showing some aerial footage of various neighborhoods and it looks like this was a very very bad hurricane. There is terrible devistation over a massive area from the storm surge, all the way into Louisiana. Everything looks like it's been sloshed and caked with mud, with houses moved off their foundation and everything else. There is also a surprising amount of wind damage.

As bad as this is, it's hard to imagine that this is actually better than they were expecting. It doesn't really look like they dodged a bullet, just maybe got hit with a slightly smaller bullet.

Could have been worse if they had gotten that surge. Much much much worse. Like, houses that were once there aren't there anymore.

If it's anything like Katrina, wait until everything dries. Cracks in the mud about 8 inches deep, and your neighborhood will look like that scene from the old Hulk movie where he goes back to where his old house was.

mrbagdt

my god, what a day.

i went to my house that i left last night. a block away, the streets were all flooded. the street was almost waist deep. the water was FOUR INCHES from getting inside my raised-house.

i might post some youtube videos later. got so freaking lucky.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
camineet said:
Typhoon, Tropical Cyclone, Hurricane, different names same thing
Tropical Cyclone is the generalized term. When one forms in the Atlantic Ocean or in the Northeast Pacific, it's called a Hurricane. When one forms in the Northwest Pacific, it's called a Typhoon. When one forms in the Indian Ocean or in the Southern Hemisphere, it's just called a Cyclone.

Emenis said:
Got home about 3 hours ago. My patio had some damage, my double doors were broken off the hinges, plants/trees uprooted/broke, some damage to the bottom of the house but nothing major.

Saw a couple houses with trees on them and a few gas stations that seemed to have caved on themselves. No real flooding just wind damage to buildings.

They let you into Angleton? I heard there was a restriction to get into Brazoria county unless you lived in Manvel, Brazoria, or Alvin. I'm not headed home till Monday.

guess

I don't know when I'll have power, so I drove to Austin. Earlier they were saying that over 90 percent of Houston was without power.

These pictures from the houston chronicle are crazy

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
perfectchaos007 said:
They let you into Angleton? I heard there was a restriction to get into Brazoria county unless you lived in Manvel, Brazoria, or Alvin. I'm not headed home till Monday.

I didnt have any problems getting in. In fact there was a line of vehicles coming into angleton with us and I dont think I saw a cop anywhere.

I DID go to clute though and the cops there were turning people away. I'm guessing if they're doing that in clute then LJ is the same way. If you do come though make sure you have gas since pretty much everything here is closed.

Just saw a bunch of military helicopters fly over my house looking for people.

Zoe

guess said:
I don't know when I'll have power, so I drove to Austin. Earlier they were saying that over 90 percent of Houston was without power.

Yikes, that's awful. I wonder how long it takes to recover from something like that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
AlternativeUlster said:
Yeah, I wonder how it is going to be here in Austin.

All that hysteria, and it was just a bit windy earlier today. Right now, there's basically no wind at all.

captive

Zoe said:
Yikes, that's awful. I wonder how long it takes to recover from something like that.
4 weeks at least.
I went home and checked on my house, I work less than a mile away. My house looks fine, like everyone else i have no power.

One of my friends who's parents live ON galveston bay are real depressed right now, I imagine their house is either not there or not even worth repairing. They were on the bay on one side with a pier to their boat, then like 3 or 4 blocks from the beach the other way.

Time for the Bush administration to save face for the Katrina fuckup. And they will, since it's Texas this time.

This looks awful.

Eteric Rice

I'd love to punch Bush in the face still. My old town is still fucked up. They don't even have a Wal-Mart or food store as far as I know right now.

But, the state is so corrupt that any money sent is pretty much stolen by our polititioners. It's not really a surprise anymore.

captive

JzeroT1437 said:
Time for the Bush administration to save face for the Katrina fuckup. And they will, since it's Texas this time.

This looks awful.
Houston has been through this before, all the state and local officials made plans in advance, which didnt exactly seem like the case with Katrina.
Centerpoint has 7000 electric and tree trimming teams coming starting tomorrow to get power back on. Which is the biggest issue at the moment.

mAcOdIn

JzeroT1437 said:

This looks awful.
In my opinion Texas has a much more "can do" attitude than Louisiana. I think Texas will do a hell of a lot better.

Dirtbag

captive said:
Houston has been through this before, all the state and local officials made plans in advance, which didnt exactly seem like the case with Katrina.
Centerpoint has 7000 electric and tree trimming teams coming starting tomorrow to get power back on. Which is the biggest issue at the moment.

mAcOdIn said:
In my opinion Texas has a much more "can do" attitude than Louisiana. I think Texas will do a hell of a lot better.

Lets not forget that New Orleans took 3 weeks to fully drain out. Then you had to bulldoze the mud just to drive into some neighborhoods. I know everyone wants to make it out like they are the same thing, but its just not.

And if that hurricane hadn't shifted slighty in the night, you would have seen a higher death toll in Galveston then you did for Katrina.

captive

Dirtbag 504 said:
Lets not forget that New Orleans took 3 weeks to fully drain out. Then you had to bulldoze the mud just to drive into some neighborhoods. I know everyone wants to make it out like they are the same thing, but its just not.
True. I have been saying througout this thread that it wouldnt be the same and that its not the same.
But a lot of people want to blame Bush for everything with Katrina, its not Bush's fault that so many citizens disobeyed orders to leave. It wasnt his fault the levees broke and that New Orleans is under sea level.

say what you want about him as a president, but all the failures of katrina almost none of them are his fault.

Generators are being brought in from all over the state. People are being brought in from all over the state and neighboring states.
Galveston actually has a 90 day cash reserve and passed a law that allows them to borrow 20 million without any referendums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom