• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScythD

Wow the DHS is predicting over $15 billion in damage due to the storm! Does anyone know how that compares to katrina?

Ronok

greepoman said:
How big is the eye usually?

I just did a check on that, apparently they are normally 20-40 miles........ So this is a quite a bit bigger. I also read they can get up to 120 miles though. :-/

br0ken_shad0w said:
Just heard 40% are still staying in Galveston. What the fuck?

Yeah I heard that as well. That's around 24000 people according to CNN. That's pretty crazy. :-/ I don't understand how that many people ignore warnings of certain death. :-/

Ranger X said:
So the hurricane is a level 2...

What was the level of Katrina?

CNN are saying Cat 2 in wind strength and Cat 4 in terms of the surge. It's not really something you can determine with a single number as people have said.

Fjolle

greepoman said:
How big is the eye usually?
I think 20-30 miles..

Ranger X said:
So the hurricane is a level 2...

What was the level of Katrina?
It was 5 at max, and 3 at landfall, but the most important thing is the storm surge, where it should be a bit worse than katrina.

Also :lol @ cnn having a HD doppler....

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I know Katrina was much worse than this, but these pictures of Galveston are freaking me out completely. Its one of my favorite places in the world..

In young StoOgEs world a beach house there was summer vacation pretty much every year. I hope the island survives and rebuilds, its a great place.. Im just picturing all my favorite places to go there and picturing them devstated and its just too much really... and no city should be devastated like this twice. But Jesus, its already over the storm wall. I cant believe that, the thing is massive. Built to make sure Galveston was never destroyed again, may not have been enough.

And hopefully Sugar Land (where I live) makes it. Looks like hurricane force winds (or close to it) will reach there though and my home and subdivision aren't exactly hurricane proof.

StoOgE

br0ken_shad0w said:
And hopefully Sugar Land (where I live) makes it. Looks like hurricane force winds (or close to it) will reach there though and my home and subdivision aren't exactly hurricane proof.

Hell, all of Houston is on a bayou. Im pretty worried about the whole area to be honest. Its not below water like NOLA was, but its not much above it.

StoOgE

Ranger X said:
Well, i'm happy for you guys it seems to be "less worse" than Katrina.

I hope it will not end badly. :/

Well, it looks like it is going to be bad, but NOLA just had so much worse topography going for it. Galveston and Houstons topography isnt good, but flooding should subside much quicker. At least I hope so.

Baker

Banned
From msnbc.com's front page:

nyyyw9.jpg

If that's not photoshopped, what the fuck man? How do some peoples' brains work?

"Leave or perish."

"I'm gonna gosh darn takes mah kid to those there tigh dal waves!"

Edit: Oh, I didn't read the headline: As Ike storm surge begins, ‘it’s time for prayers’. I guess Jesus is going to save them.

GHG

Ronok said:
I just did a check on that, apparently they are normally 20-40 miles........ So this is a quite a bit bigger. I also read they can get up to 120 miles though. :-/

Yeah I heard that as well. That's around 24000 people according to CNN. That's pretty crazy. :-/ I don't understand how that many people ignore warnings of certain death. :-/

CNN are saying Cat 2 in wind strength and Cat 4 in terms of the surge. It's not really something you can determine with a single number as people have said.

Because they are too attached to the materialistic things in their life. Its possibly the biggest problem with society today.

Dali

GHG said:
Because they are too attached to the materialistic things in their life. Its possibly the biggest problem with society today.
I don't think that's the reason at all. They just don't want to be bothered with the evacuation. They don't think it will be as dangerous as expected and most of the time they are right.

StoOgE

GHG said:

While this is true, it still doesnt make sense. I mean, you sitting in your house while it is destroyed doesnt do anything for the house.

I get it though, its "home", there is a strong attachment to places and especially the memories in them. But you cant save the home by staying.

Im really seriously getting sad sitting at work right now.

StoOgE said:
Well, it looks like it is going to be bad, but NOLA just had so much worse topography going for it. Galveston and Houstons topography isnt good, but flooding should subside much quicker. At least I hope so.

The surge wasn't what got NOLA though. It managed to survive the storm withouth major flooding -- it was the levee breaching that put all the water into NOLA.

StoOgE

StarscreamLSU said:
The surge wasn't what got NOLA though. It managed to survive the storm withouth major flooding -- it was the levee breaching that put all the water into NOLA.

right, but that was part of its topography problem.

Any SE Texas Gafers need a couch to stay on in Austin?

Fjolle

GHG said:
Pretty stupid. If i got the chance to evacuate i would do it.

/sometimes its boring living where theres no chance of natural disasters.
//would probably be working for the civil defence if anything happened

StoOgE said:
Hell, all of Houston is on a bayou. Im pretty worried about the whole area to be honest. Its not below water like NOLA was, but its not much above it.

As long as it doesn't camp like Allison, it should be fine. Flooding will happen, but nowhere near what Allison did.

I'm more worried about the wind. There's a bunch of old trees surrounding where I live, and my house isn't what I call stable. It doesn't help there's a bunch of discarded tree limbs that my neighbor keeps leaving out across the street.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Some pics I took.

The skies -
2851020161_114730e952.jpg

More Skies-

2851019241_ba3ac7fb96.jpg

Power Company checking things out -

2851019729_3a18f3defc.jpg

Dudes boarding up the windows -

2851018775_8c6a1dd59e_b.jpg

GHG

StoOgE said:
While this is true, it still doesnt make sense. I mean, you sitting in your house while it is destroyed doesnt do anything for the house.

I get it though, its "home", there is a strong attachment to places and especially the memories in them. But you cant save the home by staying.

Im really seriously getting sad sitting at work right now.

Exactly. And memories are exactly that... memories. You aint got anymore memories when you're dead.

Dali said:
I don't think that's the reason at all. They just don't want to be bothered with the evacuation. They don't think it will be as dangerous as expected and most of the time they are right.

How can you not be bothered though. I mean have you seen pictures of this thing ^^^??? Just pack up what you can an GTFO. If you're lazy about such a serious issue that involves your life like that then whats the point in even living? How lazy must these people be with general day to day activity?

:lol :lol :lol

greepoman

Fjolle said:
Why does shit start burn when it gets flooded? bad electric installations or gas installations or what?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just something as stupid as idiots who leave candles burning when they leave.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Fjolle said:
You dont have any safety devices in your electrical installations?

/sorry for my ignorance, but im not from usa
Corrupt contractors dont build things to code. Building code is shoddy. Wiring corrodes, and other things. Someone left the iron on.

Dali

GHG said:
How can you not be bothered though. I mean have you seen pictures of this thing ^^^??? Just pack up what you can an GTFO. If you're lazy about such a serious issue that involves your life like that then whats the point in even living? How lazy must these people be with general day to day activity?
It's not a simple pack your shit and GTFO. It's a huge pain in the ass and since the vast majority of the time the warnings are overblown I can understand why someone would ignore them. You look at Houston's evacuation during Rita and you get a glimpse of how staying put is sometimes better than evacuating. That's if you have transport. If not you've got to resolve that issue. Once you've got a car you need a place to go. Shelters blow dick so you really want to avoid those. It's a serious hassle that boils down to are you equipped to ride it out at home or should you leave. I don't know what I'd do in this situation but I know people that live on beaches that rarely leave when told to evacuate and are glad they didn't every time.

Back to my original point: It's not something as simple as materialism.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Yo, my uncle ( who owns a few gas stations) just called me to let me know that if I need gas to get it NOW, since his report says to jump the price by 70 cents by tomorrow morning. so if you need gas get it as soon as you can.

woodchuck

I have a flight on Sunday afternoon going from

Austin - Dallas - Chicago.

yeah.....it's probably gonna get canceled

I really hope Galveston and it's people are going to survive this.

guess

Saw earlier that Greens Bayou in east Houston is rising. Flooding areas all the way north near I-10 and Uvalde

2qjk1u0.jpg

Mashing

Yeah, Greens Bayou ALWAYS floods. it flooded during Allison, yet my residential area stayed dry.

For perspective, I live about 4-5 miles from the pictures you've seen on the news around I-10 and Uvalde. My neighborhood entrance is off Uvalde. I am definately concerned about water now.

guess

Mashing said:
Yeah, Greens Bayou ALWAYS floods. it flooded during Allison, yet my residential area stayed dry.

For perspective, I live about 4-5 miles from the pictures you've seen on the news around I-10 and Uvalde. My neighborhood entrance is off Uvalde. I am definately concerned about water now.

I'm on the other side of town. Inside 610 near 290. Don't know if this area floods.

pics
0574.jpg

0575.jpg

0590.jpg

0596.jpg

Fjolle

Well. I'm going to bed, and the worst will probably be over when i wake up.. So stay safe hurricane prone gaffers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom