• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Vinzer Deling said:
I'm not leaving my island. I'm going to shoot at this hurricane, even if it doesn't do anything at least I go down fighting.

ahaha i have a great image in my head of this.

ToxicAdam

3-8 inches of constant rain in a 24 hour period is just going to swamp this area. Especially Texas which is very prone to flash flooding. People get so focused on the storm surge and high winds, they tend to neglect that.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Houston, off Greens Bayou about 5:30PM. Wind is starting to pick up abit.

264otvs.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
seriously guys, be safe.

Our old beach house has no storm wall in front of it... It has no chance :(

again, any gaffers need a couch in Austin, PM me.

Ronok

StoOgE said:
seriously guys, be safe.

Our old beach house has no storm wall in front of it... It has no chance :(

again, any gaffers need a couch in Austin, PM me.

Where is the beach house? Water might already be at the front door. :(

Snaku

Banned
br0ken_shad0w said:
Just heard 40% are still staying in Galveston. What the fuck?

That's unbelievably suicidal.

Ranger X said:
Well, i'm happy for you guys it seems to be "less worse" than Katrina.

It's a totally different situation here. Storm surge wasn't the issue in NO with Katrina, it was the faulty levee's. Galveston is sea level, and will be underwater tonight. If you're not fucking Aquaman, you're screwed.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ronok said:
Where is the beach house? Water might already be at the front door. :(

Its on the West end, its already underwater. Its gonna get shitfucked when the 20 foot surge comes.

Here in League City a few miles from Kemah and SH 146. Here's hoping the surge doesn't reach here. I'm not too worried about the wind unless it's a tornado. Take care everyone.

Kite

I'm about 18 miles west of houston and the wind is picking up pretty bad here.. tonight is gonna be fun~

Damn, officials are now estimating that 40% of Galveston residents are riding out the storm.

That is 20,000 people..

This storm is going to kill hundreds of people.

:(

jmdajr

well I i'm just hoping my windows at my apt. dont shatter

guess i'll see

laptop and air card ready for when power goes out.

MechDX

jmdajr said:

guess i'll see

Im going to use my Motorola Q.:D

Small but it works rather well for websurfing.

WedgeX

Banned
My aunt is a nurse at a hospital in Pasadena, and she gets (read: is forced to since she's an experienced ER nurse) to ride out the storm there.

This'll be interesting.

Teknoman

jmdajr said:

guess i'll see

Houston here. Hoping the same. Whats messed up is that its flooded already near...Uvalde and the East Houston Medical building, yet its just from the bayou rising. Its going to be insane when it starts raining.

EDIT: Damn it. I uploaded my bear on seawall video as soon as it aired...yet youtube is still processing the video? Whats up with that. Anyway it was like...some pre-apocalyptic disaster movie by my house. All the local stores are completely out of bread, water, etc. and all boarded up. The people who were still buying whatever they could...stretched from one end of the store to another.

Either way, we've got camcorders charged, digicams ready, water + ice, and portable gaming systems charged.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
MechDX said:
Im going to use my Motorola Q.:D

Small but it works rather well for websurfing.

From a guy that owns one, nah, not really. :p But it plus PDANet makes for a decent mobile broadband modem for my laptop, which is gonna stay juiced up as long as I can get away with. Hopefully the UPS for the cable modem and wireless router holds too.

Wind's picking up quite a bit here in Sugar Land, hasn't started raining yet. I'll probably stay up til the power goes out (if it does), then just sleep through it. Not like I'd see anything in the middle of the night anyway =P.

Teknoman

Snaku said:
It's going to be a long night.

Definitely. I know the Downtown houston area is going to be a mess...and the entire Galveston isle is supposed to be "under water" for at least twelve hours?

At least i've still got pics from the last recent visit to Galveston.

1xx5og.jpg

11remoo.jpg

ic475g.jpg

Guess they'll finally have to build a new seawall.

My last post before the power goes out...fucking Ike (I live in Houston).

So far only winds, kinda scary, no one is on the road and all the stores were closed today. Right now just watching movies and tv shows from iTunes on my laptop.

Farewall

Teknoman

Wow even Humble is under curfew? 8pm to 8am. Havent heard anything about a Houston/Harris county curfew yet.

And now it could be a CAT 3 by the time it hits land.

EDIT: The entire sky is orangeish pink in Galveston now (KHOU news).

EDIT:2 whoa just switched to purple. Thats just strange.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
WTF...1 second the sky was dark, then orange and the next its dark again. Was that real time or a time lapse.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Smiles and Cries said:
to be forced on the roof of your home before this Hurricane hits, that is just a sad way to die

:(
When the Mayor, the media, the police, the firemen, the EMS services, the National weather service and everyone else all say GET. THE. FUCK. OUT. and you stay, i have no sympathy.

Snaku

Banned
captive said:
When the Mayor, the media, the police, the firemen, the EMS services, the National weather service and everyone else all say GET. THE. FUCK. OUT. and you stay, i have no sympathy.

I feel bad for the children who are at the mercy of their parents. If any of these families survive this, the parents should be charged with child endangerment.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Gonna try to get back as soon as I can. Hopefully my house is still there and not flooded badly (Coastal - direct hit... =/ ).

Hurry up IKE!

Brace yourselves for Ike's Aether, guys! Maybe if you had the Black Knight's blessed armor you could stand a chance...but Ike has Ragnell :(

Seriously, brace yourselves!

Teknoman

dragonlife29 said:
Brace yourselves for Ike's Aether, guys! Maybe if you had the Black Knight's blessed armor you could stand a chance...but Ike has Ragnell :(

Seriously, brace yourselves!

Yeah. The wind has really started to pick up outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom