• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

guess said:
I'm finally starting to see lightning.

8pm update says the pressure is dropping.

Fuck me. I read what you guys are posting and I expect the same in a couple more hours. Thanks for making me shit myself.:lol

TomServo

captive said:
When the Mayor, the media, the police, the firemen, the EMS services, the National weather service and everyone else all say GET. THE. FUCK. OUT. and you stay, i have no sympathy.

I live on a barrier island, and I just can't understand why these people didn't leave. I know I'm around 15ft above sea level, but if the surge was predicted to be anywhere above 10ft I'd get the hell out of dodge.

It pains me to think it, but if they're already on the roof then they're probably not going to make it through the night.

pxleyes

Banned
You all still have power?

My dad tells me the report is that 40% of Galveston stayed. People ARE going to die tonight.

Teknoman

Downtown Houston is a complete ghost town now.

Smiles and Cries said:
this will be really sad by morning with dead and missing that will never be found

Well alot of them said that since they've been on the isle all their lives, they would just ride it out. Of course even the mayor said the entire city would be underwater for around 12 hours. I know those people stuck on that barge out in the gulf are going to get messed up...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Cianalas said:
For people who are curious to see if power is still on at your place try calling your answering machine.
For those of us who have no use for a hardline? :lol

Ill just ping my FTP server.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
pxleyes said:
You all still have power?

My dad tells me the report is that 40% of Galveston stayed. People ARE going to die tonight.

I have power near the Woodlands. KPRC, ch. 2 just lost power, they are on generator power.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
stupid or not, they are people and its sad to know anyone will die. I dont see how you can not feel sympathy for people in need. Its going to be a very bad night.

Eteric Rice

Here's a tip. If you know you're going to get water, don't board up your house. If you do, the water won't dry out quickly and you'll get shit loads of mold.

Also, they'll survive on their roof if they watcht he waves. My friend was stuck on her roof for days. :|

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eteric Rice said:
Here's a tip. If you know you're going to get water, don't board up your house. If you do, the water won't dry out quickly and you'll get shit loads of mold.
I have to wonder what difference it'll make if the insides of your walls get saturated.

Teknoman

dskillzhtown said:
I have power near the Woodlands. KPRC, ch. 2 just lost power, they are on generator power.

Apparently someone cursed out a kprc reporter in galveston a few minutes ago. 80 year old guy who claimed the storm is being "overhyped".

Snaku

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Also, they'll survive on their roof if they watcht he waves.

If it's night, raining heavily, with no light even from the moon and stars due to the clouds, how are they supposed to watch out for the waves? And what happens when the water level rises above their roof?

lil smoke

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Also, they'll survive on their roof if they watcht he waves. My friend was stuck on her roof for days. :|
Maybe they are exaggerating, but I'm hearing that these waves are going to big as umm FUCK. Ya'll got high rises down there?

RunWhiteBoyRun said:
Anyone hearing anything about Port Arthur? My grandpa lives down there.

There's a mandatory evacuation for Port Authur. Did he not get out. :(

No one on the Houston news is there from what I am watching, but I've heard talk of 20' surge going up against a six foot sea wall. :(

Eteric Rice said:

we needed that tip like weeks ago, too late now :(

who is going to survive 110mph winds on a roof for a few hours of pounding?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh shit, Galveston just had their low tide, and water is already coming over... and high tide(3am) is supposed to coincide with the time winds whip around and intensify the surge.

Smokey

Still got power over here on Northwest side of Houston.

I dunno why but I'm terrified that this thing is hitting at night and not in the daytime.

Teknoman

Smiles and Cries said:

Seems like its going to be an unfortunate repeat of the early 1900s Galveston Hurricane. Wont wipe the city off the map...but might be alot of deaths.

Smokey said:
Still got power over here on Northwest side of Houston.

I dunno why but I'm terrified that this thing is hitting at night and not in the daytime.

Same here, a few miles away from Deerbrook mall.

Hitokage said:
Oh shit, Galveston just had their low tide, and water is already coming over... and high tide(3am) is supposed to coincide with the time winds whip around and intensify the surge.

I just told my wife that 15 minutes ago. I was hoping it would make landfall at 11PM or 12, not near high tide-one or two feet could make a huge difference.

Eteric Rice

Hitokage said:
I have to wonder what difference it'll make if the insides of your walls get saturated.

Mold can get in the wood and stuff. You need to gut your house as fast as possible if you get flooded, and let it air out.

Smiles and Cries said:

Grab a hatchet and get into the attic.

Dirtbag

Smiles and Cries said:
so landfall could be as late as 3am?

we have a lot of GAFfers in the area huh?
No, 3 am is high tide, and the times when the wind gusts are optimal to make the maximum flooding. Not sure when it actually makes landfall.

Teknoman

Dirtbag 504 said:
No, 3 am is high tide, and the times when the wind gusts are optimal to make the maximum flooding. Not sure when it actually makes landfall.

I think landfall is supposed to be 12-1am?

Also theres a large house fire still in Galveston thats actually hopping from house to house. Jeez that sucks.

WedgeX

Banned
Looking ahead...

What existing disaster recovery agencies are in the Galveston/Houston area?

Come Monday, should this play out how it unfortunately seems to be going, I will almost certainly be taking in donations from the university I work at, along with directing some longer-term student projects.

Eteric Rice

If you stayed, grab as many canned goods and bottled water as you can and get in the attic (with a hatchet or axe, in case the water stays a while or the water gets in the attic).

I'd say that's the best chance of survival. But realize that water quickly going through your house will form whirlpools that can tear shit up from the inside.

To give you an idea of how powerful these fuckers are...

housef6am.jpg

This is a picture I took of a house when I went home for the first time after the storm.

Notice anything strange about this house?

acksman

Watching the local cable news channel. The police have gone from house to house to mark down the ones who are staying.

They are also telling those that stay, to write their social security number in perm marker on their arm....

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
acksman said:
Watching the local cable news channel. The police have gone from house to house to mark down the ones who are staying.

They are also telling those that stay, to write their social security number in perm marker on their arm....
God damn.

WedgeX

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
This is a picture I took of a house when I went home for the first time after the storm.

Being in the street is usually odd.

Eteric Rice said:
If you stayed, grab as many canned goods and bottled water as you can and get in the attic (with a hatchet or axe, in case the water stays a while or the water gets in the attic).

I'd say that's the best chance of survival. But realize that water quickly going through your house will form whirlpools that can tear shit up from the inside.

To give you an idea of how powerful these fuckers are...

housef6am.jpg

o_O

IT SHOULD NOT BE THERE

GHG

Eteric Rice said:

Its not about the water anymore though. When the 100+mph winds strike then what do they do?

To anyone thats in the area, good luck and stay safe. Even though I've already voiced my thoughts on the people who decided to stay despite the warnings it doesn't mean I don't want y'all to live :( .

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
Wow, I've been reporting on this all day, nice to see there is a thread. What's really bad is the poor people in Southeast Texas outside of Houston that have homes that are already basically derelict from Rita still, but aren't leaving.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
StoOgE said:
stupid or not, they are people and its sad to know anyone will die. I dont see how you can not feel sympathy for people in need. Its going to be a very bad night.
If there really are 50+ thousand people on the island(im not sure i believe this) there arent words that would adequately describe the potential loss of life.
That said, right now Im more worried about myself and my extended family and friends and then all of our homes.
I feel sorry later for all the people that unwisely didnt leave when they were ordered to.

Solaros

I thought that the concrete there was a foundation that it had been removed from, but it if that house is just chilling in the middle of the street--damn.

Teknoman

ConfusingJazz said:
Hmm, KHOU.com (Houston's CBS affiliate) has Hurricane Ike coverage all over the front page.

...and a promotion to win Tina Turner tickets.

3134w21.jpg

Hmm...

acksman said:

Wow...that would've made my spirits sink quickly.

Snaku

Banned
GHG said:
Its not about the water anymore though. When the 100+mph winds strike then what do they do?

In Galveston, it's all about the water. Many of the houses simply won't be there after tonight. The only clue that there ever was a house will be its foundation.

People seem to think this will be like Katrina. It will not be! New Orleans was filled with water. Galveston will be submerged in the sea.

Eteric Rice

WedgeX said:
Being in the street is usually odd.

Exactly.

Water picked it up (slab foundation and all) and put it in the middle of the street.

Here's another pic of that same neighborhood.

lex27rq.jpg

I can tell you I've seen first hand what these things do. I've seen places where the only thing that was left was steps to where the house used to be. I've seen people's cloths in the trees. I've seen houses and cars on top of one another.

Teknoman

Snaku said:
In Galveston, it's all about the water. Many of the houses simply won't be there after tonight. The only clue that there ever was a house will be its foundation.

People seem to think this will be like Katrina. It will not be! New Orleans was filled with water. Galveston will be submerged in the sea.

Pretty much. The highway that leads out of Galveston to Houston was already partly submerged around 1-2pm today.

EDIT: We just finished filling our bathtub with water, in case that goes out as well.

GHG

Snaku said:

So you've got sea + wind...? Dear god.

Eteric Rice said:
Exactly.

Water picked it up (slab foundation and all) and put it in the middle of the street.

Here's another pic of that same neighborhood.

*snip*

I can tell you I've seen first hand what these things do. I've seen places where the only thing that was left was steps to where the house used to be. I've seen people's cloths in the trees. I've seen houses and cars on top of one another.

That looks like Katrina damage I saw when I was finally able to come home after about a month it hit. Is that what the picture is from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom