• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m glad Sony focuses on AAAAAA ‘blockbuster’ games

over two years into the generation now and it really does feel like nothing really impressive has come out for current gen only outside of Demon’s Souls and Ratchet and Clank (games with actual characters and stories). The closest thing so far has been TLOU Part 1 and Horizon, and the former is a remake and the latter is cross-gen, but yet they are still the best looking games of 2022.

My point is, if not SIE who’s really making games on that level, with that polish, fidelity, animation, and still has competent gameplay? Rockstar is up there but they only make one game per generation now, its hard to even consider them when they don’t even have a consistent release cadence anymore. They launch games as rarely as the consoles.

There’s tons of developers making boomer shooters, metroidvanias, diablo likes, zelda knocks off, and then theres WRPG’s like witcher or bethesda game that while large have the same ugly stiff animations, bad controls…etc

Its telling that the only real ‘next gen’ thing people have to look forward to is Spider-man 2, which isn’t even something im super excited about tbh but we’re at a point where it feels like only one publisher is still really focused on big budget, polished single player games.

People can say they want more AA or indie stuff until they’re blue in the face but the last 3 platform showcases have been underwhelming. People want big current gen titles already, people want to see something exciting. Not ports and remasters

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles? Also, Halo Infinite was great, except that they didn't release promised single-player features, and they butchered multi-player. But the single-player campaign they made was on point. And what about Forza Horizon 5?

Last edited:
Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles?
soon GIF

And yeah, Starfield doesnt even look ps4 high end.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
over two years into the generation now and it really does feel like nothing really impressive has come out for current gen only outside of Demon’s Souls and Ratchet and Clank (games with actual characters and stories). The closest thing so far has been TLOU Part 1 and Horizon, and the former is a remake and the latter is cross-gen, but yet they are still the best looking games of 2022.
R&C and a remake of a souls game are what your saying is AAAAAA? ( whatever that means). Theres been many many games released recently that best those.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

My point is, if not SIE who’s really making games on that level, with that polish, fidelity, animation, and still has competent gameplay? Rockstar is up there but they only make one game per generation now, its hard to even consider them when they don’t even have a consistent release cadence anymore. They launch games as rarely as the consoles.

There’s tons of developers making boomer shooters, metroidvanias, diablo likes, zelda knocks off, and then theres WRPG’s like witcher or bethesda game that while large have the same ugly stiff animations, bad controls…etc

Its telling that the only real ‘next gen’ thing people have to look forward to is Spider-man 2, which isn’t even something im super excited about tbh but we’re at a point where it feels like only one publisher is still really focused on big budget, polished single player games.

People can say they want more AA or indie stuff until they’re blue in the face but the last 3 platform showcases have been underwhelming. People want big current gen titles already, people want to see something exciting. Not ports and remasters
Sextuple A? Double-triple A? What games would be considered as this exaggeration exactly? We haven't even seen Quadruple A and you just added 2 A's...

As soon as you wipe yourself and your PS5's disc drive off, please take a moment to explain this nonsense.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Fable, we'll give you. The other two? Buggy messes!

I love the quality of Sony's first-party games as much as the next SonyGAF member. I just don't like these console warring threads (because let's be real, that's what this thread is) that are thinly-veiled digs at Microsoft/Xbox. Acting like Sony is the only one who can or is making great looking games is silly.

Unknown?

I love the quality of Sony's first-party games as much as the next SonyGAF member. I just don't like these console warring threads (because let's be real, that's what this thread is) that are thinly-veiled digs at Microsoft/Xbox. Acting like Sony is the only one who can or is making great looking games is silly.
I agree but acting like those games will be bangers with so little information, is just as silly. I'll wait for Starfield before assuming it will be a great game. It could be Microsoft's Days Gone.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Starfield does not look current gen, sorry. Hellblade 2 is what im waiting for on xbox to blow us away
I feel like scope and scale off Starfield far exceeds everything else coming out, something has to give to achieve this, I thought it looks genuinely really impressive, if not a little too ambitious. (I'm personally more excited for Redfall & Ghostwire Tokyo though, as I couldn't get into the gunplay off the fallout games, hopefully Starfield has good gunplay)

& Hellblade 2 is probably the game I'm least excited for from the Xbox platform, but I really didn't enjoy the first game much, but I can see the appeal.

Plus we literally just had Hogwarts Legacy from a third party dev, single player triple a very high quality game with no mtx or dlc.

I think we get lots of excellent titles all around though, but I enjoy a lot of different genres and that 😁

The games I'm most excited for overall though is street fighter 6 & Diablo 4, both look absolutely incredible imo ❤️

kyliethicc

Returnal is a better game and a better work of art than anything else SIE has published on PS5.

YukiOnna

Not sure I agree (although I don't care about indie). AA games are very important and it's moreso dependent on who's making them. Nintendo and a bunch of Japanese 3rd Party publishers like Square Enix fill this space well. I think it's more important to have a balance of both rather than any extremes. Although, I'm still looking for a good game to turn that around in the AAA space and it's got little to do with graphics.

kyliethicc

😆 procedural level generation.

"All of Returnal is handcrafted, but the most exciting thing about the game is every time you play, we procedurally connect these moments, connecting our handcrafted environments, level design, combat, and narrative beats. It still surprises me with how wild the variation can be as Selene fights across Atropos and the surprises we have set up."

K-Pop GIF

Top Bottom