• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m glad Sony focuses on AAAAAA ‘blockbuster’ games

My only issues is they need to make other style of games. They make quality content there is no denying that but many of their games end up with a generic feel after a bit. I’m just NOW playing God of War 2018 because 3rd person narrative genre was really tapped hard for a long time and tbh wore me out.

Naw, let them specialize in one thing that no one else is doing or capable of doing. You can get AA games from other publishers

I think Sony has done well to bring games with the challenges that game companies have been having with COVID and delays, console shortages.
Compared to Microsoft they have been shooting themselves in the foot with delays, not bringing any big aaa games such as in 2022. I hope they finally start churning games at a consistent rate after red fall and hopefully no delay with starfield ( I doubt it though).
Once we have all 3 companies releasing games we are swimming but if one of the 3 struggles we feel it.

Destruction AllStars?

hot tub fart GIF

Naw, let them specialize in one thing that no one else is doing or capable of doing. You can get AA games from other publishers
The gap between SIE games and marquee games from 3rd party publishers isn’t as wide as some people seem to think. Sony might be the best as these specific style of games, though.

Just looks very similar to village

It still looks good though.

I mean GoW:R wasn't a massive upgrade over GOW2018, other than resolution. This current gen has a lot of good looking games so far but nothing that seems to completely blow me away as being the potential of next-gen.

I actually think Sony is slipping a bit on visuals, but maybe that's just the nature of the hardware at this point in time. I hope there's more potential there, but maybe we've seen kind of what we're going to get for the rest of the gen.

I don't really mind that much because games already look damn good regardless.

Last edited:
The gap between SIE games and marquee games from 3rd party publishers isn’t as wide as some people seem to think. Sony might be the best as these specific style of games, though.

How often do those publishers put those games out though? Even thinking about last year or the year before, how many ‘blockbuster’ 3rd party games released?

I feel like the closest thing last year was plague tale which is literally an indie game

over two years into the generation now and it really does feel like nothing really impressive has come out for current gen only outside of Demon’s Souls and Ratchet and Clank (games with actual characters and stories). The closest thing so far has been TLOU Part 1 and Horizon, and the former is a remake and the latter is cross-gen, but yet they are still the best looking games of 2022.

My point is, if not SIE who’s really making games on that level, with that polish, fidelity, animation, and still has competent gameplay? Rockstar is up there but they only make one game per generation now, its hard to even consider them when they don’t even have a consistent release cadence anymore. They launch games as rarely as the consoles.

There’s tons of developers making boomer shooters, metroidvanias, diablo likes, zelda knocks off, and then theres WRPG’s like witcher or bethesda game that while large have the same ugly stiff animations, bad controls…etc

Its telling that the only real ‘next gen’ thing people have to look forward to is Spider-man 2, which isn’t even something im super excited about tbh but we’re at a point where it feels like only one publisher is still really focused on big budget, polished single player games.

People can say they want more AA or indie stuff until they’re blue in the face but the last 3 platform showcases have been underwhelming. People want big current gen titles already, people want to see something exciting. Not ports and remasters

I prefer games that try to be games and not movie/cinematic experience that can be finished within a week sorry :(

Give me Gears, Sea of thieves, Halo, WoW, and Counter strike over all Sony first party games.

It still looks good though.

I mean GoW:R wasn't a massive upgrade over GOW2018, other than resolution. This current gen has a lot of good looking games so far but nothing that seems to completely blow me away as being the potential of next-gen.

I actually think Sony is slipping a bit on visuals, but maybe that's just the nature of the hardware at this point in time. I hope there's more potential there, but maybe we've seen kind of what we're going to get for the rest of the gen.

I don't really mind that much because games already look damn good regardless.

Not after Horizon they aren’t.

Like - Demon's Souls looks good - but I think people are vastly overrating it as some next gen experience.

It's not THAT special looking, especially given the confined scale.

Mr Moose

They've nailed the single player and driving games, hopefully some good MP games will come out from them, maybe with Fractions or whatever it's called though I don't really like 3rd person pew pews.
MS have nailed the driving games, hopefully they can do the same with their future single player games.

How often do those publishers put those games out though? Even thinking about last year or the year before, how many ‘blockbuster’ 3rd party games released?

I feel like the closest thing last year was plague tale which is literally an indie game
Most publishers don’t have as many studios as SIE and many of the ones that do focus primarily on churning out yearly or bi-yearly releases of their franchises.

Anyway, my original point is that it would be nice for Sony branch out and make other style of video games. Their studios are obviously very talented. You can make an AAA blockbuster that isn’t a 3rd person game.

Last edited:
Put Demon’s Souls next to Elden Ring and they look an entire generation apart though

I'm not sure I agree on the whole. DS is more consistent looking, sure. Has higher res textures and better models/lighting overall.

But....Elden Ring has some really stunning areas, like Stormveil Castle and Lyndell Capital.

DS didn't blow me away to the point that I though ER looked a gen apart.

Mr Moose

It will only be a fraction of what naughty dog is capable of this gen due to being multiplayer
Fuck, it's Factions isn't it? lol
I'm not sure I agree on the whole. DS is more consistent looking, sure. Has higher res textures and better models/lighting overall.

But....Elden Ring has some really stunning areas, like Stormveil Castle and Lyndell Capital.

DS didn't blow me away to the point that I though ER looked a gen apart.
On consoles, graphically? I don't think it's that close between them, though I am only going by what I have seen of Demon's Souls, it's much better looking than Elden Ring imo but ER is open world.

Last edited:

Yoboman

AAA production values
Focus on compelling narrative and story
Not littered with DLC, MTX and pay to win mechanics
Polished and feature complete on day one of release

Its becoming a rarer and rarer commodity so I appreciate we tend to get at least 1-2 of these games a year from Sony

Others who deserve credit for continuing to push this vision of gaming are From Software, Capcom, Rockstar (to an extent) and Nintendo (at least with Zelda). CDPR were another of the chosen ones but really screwed up with the Cyberpunk launch

Its getting to be a smaller and smaller pool every year. I think the record breaking sales of games like Elden Ring, Ragnarok and now Hogwarts show gamers are starving for this type of content and are now showing up in droves on single products to get their fix

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles? Also, Halo Infinite was great, except that they didn't release promised single-player features, and they butchered multi-player. But the single-player campaign they made was on point.
This is such a delusional post. What reason do you have to expect an aaa quality title from Forza devs? And Bethesda games are always a gen behind the competition they are not showstoppers compared to polished aaa games.

Remember kids, gameplay is a sin. Only graphics is what matters about video games.

Why does it have to be either or, we’re in a completely new console generation, its not too much to ask for a leap in graphical fidelity. Or else you might as well ahve stayed on ps4/xone

Last edited:

Yoboman

Are we just pretending that Fable, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI aren't going to happen? Or are those not "AAAAAA" enough titles? Also, Halo Infinite was great, except that they didn't release promised single-player features, and they butchered multi-player. But the single-player campaign they made was on point.
This is kind of like asking for credit on an assignment you haven't handed in

AAA production values
Focus on compelling narrative and story
Not littered with DLC, MTX and pay to win mechanics
Polished and feature complete on day one of release

Its becoming a rarer and rarer commodity so I appreciate we tend to get at least 1-2 of these games a year from Sony

Others who deserve credit for continuing to push this vision of gaming are From Software, Capcom, Rockstar (to an extent) and Nintendo (at least with Zelda). CDPR were another of the chosen ones but really screwed up with the Cyberpunk launch

Its getting to be a smaller and smaller pool every year. I think the record breaking sales of games like Elden Ring, Ragnarok and now Hogwarts show gamers are starving for this type of content and are now showing up in droves on single products to get their fix

100% agree

Spaceman292

Banned
Fable and Elder Scrolls barely even exist

And someone brought up the MCU as a pejorative (as tends to happen in sony game threads) but i actually agree with the comparison.

Up until MCU who was really making big blockbuster tightly woven super hero movies? We got sprinkles of it with raimi spider-man, and Nolan dark knight but comic book movies for years were a mess.

Captain America Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

Then Marvel brought it all together in a very big and entertaining way and only because it got so popular and well made that people began to have a problem with it. If it weren’t for marvel we’d still be relying on fox and sony to make good comic movies, stuff like, dark Phoenix, fantastic 4 and Morbius would be what we had to look forward to.

Because marvel/disney has been kicking everyones ass do you now see Warner Bros investing big bucks and trying to get their acts together with bringing in James Gunn and the like.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't judge a videogame's quality based on the production values or the graphics,and most of Sony games wouldn't even be on my favorites list

But yeah,its good they produce these types of games as well ,for the audience that loves them,they are quite flashy

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I prefer games that try to be games and not movie/cinematic experience that can be finished within a week sorry :(

Give me Gears, Sea of thieves, Halo, WoW, and Counter strike over all Sony first party games.
Gears and Halo fits into that category, unless you’re talking about the MP side only, in which case you just prefer MP over SP because it never ends.

feynoob

Why does it have to be either or, we’re in a completely new console generation, its not too much to ask for a leap in graphical fidelity. Or else you might as well ahve stayed on ps4/xone
Because technology isnt just about graphics. Its about you push the system in other departments.
The thing about starfield is that it focuses more on gameplay, which is exploration and freedom for the player. Usually these stuff are different than graphics, just like the medium 2 side camera view. Even though that game isnt AAA.

Starfield world is massive, so we need to see the actual change it will bring in to the industry. Skyrim wasnt graphic great, but it changed the landscape of open world games. Same with gtav.

Because technology isnt just about graphics. Its about you push the system in other departments.
The thing about starfield is that it focuses more on gameplay, which is exploration and freedom for the player. Usually these stuff are different than graphics, just like the medium 2 side camera view. Even though that game isnt AAA.

Starfield world is massive, so we need to see the actual change it will bring in to the industry. Skyrim wasnt graphic great, but it changed the landscape of open world games. Same with gtav.

I’m not really looking for a pitch for starfield here. I’m well aware its a big open world game, there will be others this gen that look far better

I'm not, personally get bored really easy by heavely scripted, narrative focused games.

So don’t play them? There are plenty of devs putting out games that don’t have emphasis on narrative and high production values. In fact, thats what this thread is about. There are far more people not making games like SIE than there are. Thats why im glad they are still making them

I used to rely on japanese devs for big single player story focused action games, now if i had to do that I’d be shit out of luck. Even Kojima is developing his games mostly in conjunction with SIE

If sony stopped making these kind of games almost no one would be making them, not without other caveats like mtx or season passes attached to them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom