• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’ve had it with Trynos

Elcid

Banned
I’m coining a new term right now, “tryno”.
A tryno is a person who shares common interests with you and insists you try X, Y, Z but when you actually try to get them to try something they don’t. For example, my brother “bro you need to read this comic it’s fucking amazing”. Me, “ok, I read it and I enjoyed it, but based off of reading that I think you may enjoy reading this comic too. Try it and let me know.”
Radio silence. Never bothers, never even tries it. Week later insists I try something else. I have met so many people like this and it’s driving me nuts. I’m about to tell the next person to try something to go fuck themselves. God damn trynos.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
p6Sgson.png

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I’m coining a new term right now, “tryno”.
A tryno is a person who shares common interests with you and insists you try X, Y, Z but when you actually try to get them to try something they don’t. For example, my brother “bro you need to read this comic it’s fucking amazing”. Me, “ok, I read it and I enjoyed it, but based off of reading that I think you may enjoy reading this comic too. Try it and let me know.”
Radio silence. Never bothers, never even tries it. Week later insists I try something else. I have met so many people like this and it’s driving me nuts. I’m about to tell the next person to try something to go fuck themselves. God damn trynos.
It's not a big deal. Relax.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It just shows how selfish people are. It’s shitty behavior. “I’m not going to bother with anything you suggest or say but here instead keep trying what I’m telling you.” I’m just over it.

Still not a big deal, proportionally speaking, to your level of outrage. Have you ever asked your brother why he never tries any of your suggestions while you try all of his?

Elcid

Banned
Still not a big deal, proportionally speaking, to your level of outrage. Have you ever asked your brother why he never tries any of your suggestions while you try all of his?
I’m not punching a wall here buddy I’m just posting an annoyed thread. Yeah he admits cause he’s a bitch basically who is a lazy creature of habit who has issues doing anything. He’ll write a short story and nag me everyday to read it and if I don’t read it immediately he’s resented. If I ask him to look anything, you’re looking at literal weeks of follow up to get him to even start looking at it. Mind you, he’s not the only person like that, lots of people are like that. How is this not supposed to be annoying?

TaySan

Banned
The next time he asks you to look into something just don't and say you will. Get even Steven with him and see how he reacts.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I’m not punching a wall here buddy I’m just posting an annoyed thread.
You said it's driving you nuts and you're going to tell the next person who does this to go fuck themselves. Sounds like an overreaction to a minor social miscommunication.

Yeah he admits cause he’s a bitch basically who is a lazy creature of habit who has issues doing anything.
OK. Accept his bitchness and move on. Why bother trying to keep seeking his approval on a futile exercise?

He’ll write a short story and nag me everyday to read it and if I don’t read it immediately he’s resented. If I ask him to look anything, you’re looking at literal weeks of follow up to get him to even start looking at it. Mind you, he’s not the only person like that, lots of people are like that. How is this not supposed to be annoying?
Quit evaluating your own self worth on the entertainment value of material pursuits and your shared subjective judgement of those pursuits. Have confidence in yourself and your own personal tastes. If others hound you to try something, tell them nicely to back off and that you'll do it on your own time. If you want to suggest something to others, realize that not everyone has the same tastes as you do and that it's okay if they don't. The best course of action is to associate with people who do take your interests to heart more. There's 7.5 billion people on the planet and more ways than ever to get in contact with them than anytime throughout history.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
The next time he asks you to look into something just don't and say you will. Get even Steven with him and see how he reacts.
That’s a good idea, I may just have to ignore him cause I’m just such a nice person I’ve always taken people’s suggestions seriously.

Rentahamster Rentahamster - you’re completely missing the point.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Rentahamster Rentahamster
I'm going to try explaining it one more time, and you tell me if this isn't annoying.
My brother will message me sometimes daily, with song recommendations, books, movies, trailers, etc. With "OMG YOU MUST WATCH RIGHT NOW" and if I don't reply within an hour, he's following up like "DID YOU WATCH IT?!" If I don't he gets super butthurt and emo about it. If I ever return the favor, he simply doesn't bother, sometimes doesn't even dignify with a response. This has nothing to do with seeking validation, this is more to do with expecting some equal treatment. Imagine going down on a chick, and she then says, "Sorry I don't suck dick." Basically the same thing, except among brothers, but not at all sexual.

Last edited:
I get it--trying to participate in their interests as a give-and-take but getting nothing in return. It's very lazy and can definitely be annoying after a while

O-N-E

It makes it worse when they watch the thing you recommended months or even years later and then rave to you about it as if you aren't the one who initially recommended it.

Like consistently. Every time you watch a thing I recommend, you love it. Why the hesitation every single time? I've learned to stop recommending stuff to people like that. Learn the signs early on, and don't bother.

Elcid

Banned
It makes it worse when they watch the thing you recommended months or even years later and then rave to you about it as if you aren't the one who initially recommended it.

Like consistently. Every time you watch a thing I recommend, you love it. Why the hesitation every single time? I've learned to stop recommending stuff to people like that. Learn the signs early on, and don't bother.
FINALLY! Someone gets it!

teezzy

Banned
My two best friends label me as a contrarian, but they legiterally have the most spoonfed shit tier taste in media.

I just inform them that I have no interest in whatever it is that they're trying to pitch me, and carry on with my life. I dont bother recommending anything to them either.

Thankfully we have enough other crap in common to still maintain our friendship.

Tesseract

Banned
whenever i send someone input -->

presuppose they'll never read, watch, listen to any of it and ghost me to the abyss

it's kept me focused and unattached for two decades (34yo)

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you start speaking in the teacher's voice from Peanuts I guarantee he'll stop bothering you with this shit. It's worked for me on multiple occasions.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
My two best friends label me as a contrarian, but they legiterally have the most spoonfed shit tier taste in media.

I just inform them that I have no interest in whatever it is that they're trying to pitch me, and carry on with my life. I dont bother recommending anything to them either.

Thankfully we have enough other crap in common to still maintain our friendship.
This post is legiterally the best in thread.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Look in the mirror and reflect on these words.
“I’m a real piece of shit.”
I don't have time to stay in front of the mirror just to think if you are a piece of shit or not bro, can't you do it by yourself?

Last edited:

The Pweep

Neo Member
Hey bro try this new ----- on -----
You say. "nah"
If he persists. "I'm good"

Repeat this every time he suggests anything.

DESTROYA

Block your brothers number , no more recommendations. Don’t do it for the rest of your life just long enough for him to get the message.

Top Bottom