• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I admit it, reviewers are probably going to nuke Starfield into the stone age

Ozzie666

After REDFALL, any reasonable company would delay the game if there were any doubt about how ready it is. I don't think Microsoft wants the negative publicity so soon. They need to be sure more so than ever. Of course, 4-5 months from now, they may not care. Delaying the game further would be a power move to be sure.

Of course, maybe there are no issues and Starfield is going to be amazing and a true system seller and as impact as Skyrim. It's possible. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Duchess

Nah. Given the current trend the game will cost in the high 80s / early 90s. Players will believe it's the best thing ever.

They'll be met by constant crashes, quest lines that can't be completed, weird animation glitches, incomplete / stupid AI, sudden frame rate dives, etc., etc.

Reviewers right now seem to be playing a completely different game to what the end consumers get. Or they're just lying.

Aaron Olive

❌

Fuck the childish console warring pity parties. The quality of a game is directly proportional to the amount of shit people will put up with. Elden Ring was GOTY quality so people pushed through. Witcher 3 was a huge hit, so people stuck around despite flaws. Cyberpunk was hugely anticipated and fucked it up entirely. Bethesda is the king of having games good enough to put up with flaws--it's their entire business model.
Fallout 76 has entered the chat and would like a word with you….

Elios83

I don't think so, there will be more pressure to not release it in a really poor state.
Although they have as much if not more pressure to not miss 2023.

In any case since this will be their biggest AAA release in a good while we'll also see a lot of shielding from affiliated sites. Just look at the 10/10 scores Halo Infinite got from Windows Central, Jeff Grubb and crew.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I so want this game to be spectacular like the Bethesda games of old, but everything I've seen so far looks a bit bland. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

gokurho

Yes, Redfall was nuked due to a few bugs
Gameplay was perfect, only xboxera rated it correctly :goog_cool::goog_cool::goog_cool:

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I told you guys that bugs and glitches are Bethesda game Studios trademark.

If they can ever solve this, Starfield could really shine. Even if it isn't a big deal or end up being bland, as long it gets mod support I'm sure the game will do just fine.

Last edited:

Pantz

feels like no game is a safe bet these days
might turn out just fine, might be released unfinished and buggy

I feel Starfield may fare like Oblivion and other big games where the ambition, scope and enjoyment will override the jank and get 85-92% scores.

Starfield looks pretty at least. Depends on the jank to broken scale and if it becomes a chore to play or not. I just wonder even if decent is it more attractive to a PC crowd than console and won't be this big blockbuster title.

reksveks

I think as long as the AI isn't as stupid as Redfall seems to be, it should be relatively okay in terms of the score.

kyussman

Reviewers seem pretty inconsistent about mentioning bugs in their reviews......Bethesda games seem to get a pass for the most part,unless it's something like Fallout '76 which was basically broken.It seems whatever points Bethesda games loose for their buggy nature they win back for their size and scope and the overall result is a positive review.

Freeman76

Hard to know what to expect with Starfield. History says it will be really special (albeit with bugs), but in this current climate it's impossible to know if they will smash it or under-deliver.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
There's a lot of amazing games coming out this year, but for some reason I really want this one to be special and succeed. I adore Skyrim and want this to scratch that itch for hundreds of hours of play.

I'm fine with bugs---funny ones. Having to restart the game from bugs is a deal breaker for me though.
I'm fine with "ok/good" gunplay if it makes use of Bethesda's strengths of showcasing limbs and slow mo.
I'm fine with "ok" visuals if I can get 60FPS on a 3080 without having to tank the game into a blurry mess.

If it flops score wise I hope it's because of bugs/performance because those can be fixed. However, if the game has awful quests, awful gameplay, poor pacing, shit story, etc then none of the polish will matter.
Fallout 4 had a bug where I needed to enter console codes to force a quest to trigger the next step. It was about as close to a game breaking bug as you can get, but luckily someone figured out a workaround. It was too long ago to remember the details. Usually their bugs are funny or mildly annoying.

I just hope it’s good. I’d like a new IP from them to do well, and I’m a sucker for space exploration. We’ll see how it goes, but as long as it’s better than at least Fallout 4, I’ll be happy.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The the idea of a massive world with a branching story isn’t new anymore. We have to see what the game have to offer beyond that.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Xbox right now reminds me of the ps3 era. If you mess up enough you get stuck in this rut where people start to look for things to knock you on. There were a lot of ps3 games that deserved higher scores but the whole zeitgeist at the time was against it.

NGL I'm actually worried with the amount of hype it got from folks knowing how buggy their past titles are?

I really don't get how these guys pump out total dog shit and yet get hype almost like they don't have a track record of total shit.

Elysion

Banned
I certainly think that Starfield won’t get away with the kind of issues that Skyrim had on PS3 at launch, for example. If it‘s anything near as bad as that, it will definitely get review bombed by the public, and rightfully so. But that’s basically the worst case scenario. If it‘s just the typical Bethesda jank, like in Fallout 4, then the game will be fine.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

The fact that it's mostly humans is such a big turnoff for me, it's a space exploration like what are you doing..

Ev1L AuRoN

From what I've seen so far, the game doesn't impressed me at all. It's safe to say that Starfield won't be a technological showcase, but the hope is that they craft a great RPG. Microsoft needs a Win badly.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
No reason to think that Starfield automatically needs more delays, just because Redfall, an unrelated game made by different people, needs one too. Starfield has been in development for *eight years* - twice as long as Fallout 4 (which actually launched in ok shape). It's already gotten 2 official delays, one from 2022 into "early 2023" and then into September. If it has to get delayed again, that is a total, complete, unmitigated disaster for everyone involved.

anthraticus

Banned
The Bethesda cycle...

- OMG! Did you guys play Oblivion? It's AWESOME!!! 12/10! Buy it now! Get two copies - it's so good you gonna need a backup!
... years later...
- Fallout 3? One word - WOW! It's AWESOME! We all know that Oblivion was kinda shitty and bland, but Fallout 3 is da bomb!
... years later...
- SKYREEEEIM!!!! You'll be playing it forever and then pass the cum-stained disk to your children asking them to continue your adventures! That's how fucking good it is. Unlike Fallout 3 which clearly was shite. Sure, we gave it 15/10 but we are men enough to admit our mistakes (since nobody cares about these games anymore)

Kokoloko85

Despite bugs and the Combat not being fantastic, it will be a deep WRPG. Bethesda‘s main team can do a good job, so I dont see it scoring less than 80, probably 90’s.

Reviewers normally give Bethesda main team, Zelda and Rockstar’s a pass normally when it comes to this stuff

It depends on how ambitious the game is. The reason why Redfall got destroyed by critics is because it ended up being your run of the mill open world Co op shooter that runs like shit. It didn't do anything unique or special to separate itself from any other game in the genre.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The rule of thumb for Bethesda games is to never play their games at launch. Wait at least 1 year until they patch most of the bugs and jank.
174b1e74-4b1b-4366-8bb3-58ad21987bb2_text.gif

GymWolf

Redfall wasn't supposed to be AAA?
Barely, but the game is also utter shit so they can't really score high.

Zelda is the next one in line, they are gonna completely ignore the shitty performances like they did with jedi survivor.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The rule of thumb for Bethesda games is to never play their games at launch. Wait at least 1 year until they patch most of the bugs and jank.
You mean, wait for the remaster 2 gens later and enable the Unofficial fan made patch in the mods to play almost bug free at the cost of disabling achievements/trophies.

I suspect certain sites/unofficial Microsoft associates already know what they will do. A score in the 8/9 range at least.

The game along with Redfall was delayed a year, so as it stands, along with yet more Forza, its the saving grace.

What AAA games did they plan to release in 2023 if Redfall and Starfield had not been delayed? In terms of big releases last year it was silent.

I was hoping something like Hellblade 2 would release this year.

It’s getting to a point where I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t hear of anything new until we finally start to see what has become of games announced years ago such as Fable, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3 etc.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I mean.. the game could still come out good...

I'm just hoping Microsoft and Bethesda put enough man-hours into the Gamepass PC version and its customization.
My experience with Gamepass PC games has been pretty bad, lately. I end up buying Gamepass games on Steam because of how bad they run on Gamepass. And Bethesda RPGs are 500% dependent on customization and modding.

Just last night I found out Everspace 2 Gamepass is blocking the DualSense from working. The funny part is it takes the controller's input for the "Press Any Button to Start" prompt, but then it locks the controller's inputs out. Even though I have the controller's official drivers installed.
I had to take the dust off my old XBone Gamepad just to be able to play the space sim with something other than keyboard and mouse.

Earlier last week I was trying to play Plaguetale Requiem on my PC. There's this great DLSS->FSR2 mod that works on all PC versions... except the Gamepass version. The mod's author at Nexusmods called it the "Gamepiss version" because of how many headaches that version brought to him, and eventually pulled the Gamepass version out of the site.
So no FSR2 for me, because it's a Gamepass game.

So having this game working well enough on Gamepass is one of my last hopes of actually taking advantage of the service.

Arun1910

I'm still unsure what this game is about but because it's Bethesda I have such low hope.

Is it pretty much No Mans Sky?

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I doubt it. Bethesda games are usually solid with their share of bugs due to the size of their games. I think Starfield will do fine, just as long as it doesn't turn into a Redfall.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don’t think this is true. Bethesda studios games always launch with tons of bugs and glitches and still score really well (Skyrim, Fallout 4 are just a few examples). It’s almost expected at this point.

Also, Jedi survivor is a great example of a buggy game that scored well with critics. Critics are awful at factoring those things into their scores.

Yoboman

They should have made another Elder Scrolls tbh

They haven't even come close to perfecting what they could do there

Top Bottom