• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I admit it, reviewers are probably going to nuke Starfield into the stone age

StereoVsn

Starfield will be fine after a year or two of patching and modders efforts. Like with all other Bethesda games. 😉

SaucyJack

Bethesda games got lots of bugs and glitches so when they have the launch I bets that reviewers are going to nuke it to the stone age.

I love their games though hope it does well.

Why do you suggest that?

Is your post triggered by the Redfall reviews? If so, is your contention that those reviews were somehow unfair? That reviewers ganged up on poor ole Arkane/Bethesda/Xbox?

Because as far as I can see the issues with the game go way beyond "bugs".

Historically Bethesda games have been well reviewed, apart from Fallout 76 which was trash at launch..

XXL

I want Starfield to be great, but there are too many reports of it being in rough shape (worse than Redfall).

There is to much smoke for there not to be fire.

At this point I expect it to come out fucked up or be delayed until 2024. Either predictiment is not great for Xbox and it will be interesting to see what they choose to do.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Technical problems barely affect the score of a game, because reviewers work under the assumption that can be patched.

It might be a bigger problem if Starfield feels like the same Bethesda of 12 years ago.

Bethesda games got lots of bugs and glitches so when they have the launch I bets that reviewers are going to nuke it to the stone age.

I love their games though hope it does well.
You make it sound like reviewers have a vendetta against Bethesda or Arkane. What games did they give low scores to? Hell, Deathloop was getting perfect 10s.

If anything, Bethesda games get the benefit of the doubt and score high, despite all their technical shortcomings. Redfall, is the exception, not the norm. Redfall scored low mostly because the game would still be bad even without the bugs and terrible performance.

Last edited:
To me everything in starfield looks like it's from the stone age. The conversations with the characters alone is like a 15 years back time machine.
The graphics and combat aren't impressive at all either. I think it's time they ditch this engine. I don't care if it's easy to mod on PC. They should make a competent game that doesn't need others to fix or make look current gen.

Astray

Gold Member
You gotta consider the bar of success/failure for this game compared to other ones that Xbox brought out.

Like no one in their right mind would have expected a 90 metacritic for Redfall, but a solid 80-mid 70's was not out of the realm of expectations. For Starfield, were are probably looking for Skyrim/FO4 type of scores or slightly lower, so we're talking low 90's to high 80's. Anything below that would probably communicate that something went wrong.

Sales are a toss-up though, it will likely sell like crazy on PC, but the gamepass factor makes things hard to predict on Xbox.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Starfield is is looking like a game i would pay full price to play it on day one. Saddly i don't have and X console. Anyway... shame that is not on PS5 :lollipop_alien2::lollipop_alien2:. Hopefully is gonna do well.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Starfield is is looking like a game i would pay full price to play it on day one. Saddly i don't have and X console. Anyway... shame that is not on PS5 :lollipop_alien2::lollipop_alien2:. Hopefully is gonna do well.

I'm on the same boat. I don't own an Xbox, but if the game was good I'd buy it day one full price, which I don't do often. In fact I'm not that "worried" about the bethesda bugfest; that can be fixed even though it shouldn't be given a free pass. I'm more worried about the gameplay and that footage that shows the character using a hand-laser to mine ore from cave walls. Borefest that way lies if this is the main motivation for "exploring" planets. In Mass Effect at least you could just ignore that planet "exploration" shit altogether.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shit OP discovered the underground blue rat cult on gaf quickly take your cheese and run for it

GermanZepp

I'm on the same boat. I don't own an Xbox, but if the game was good I'd buy it day one full price, which I don't do often. In fact I'm not that "worried" about the bethesda bugfest; that can be fixed even though it shouldn't be given a free pass. I'm more worried about the gameplay and that footage that shows the character using a hand-laser to mine ore from cave walls. Borefest that way lies if this is the main motivation for "exploring" planets. In Mass Effect at least you could just ignore that planet "exploration" shit altogether.

Yeah, i can deal with 30fps and some funky ass jank if the scope and the ambition of the game is big enough and delivers. Bulding a spaceship and exploring planets, crafting and moding weapons sounds like my cup of tea. The only thing would elevate the game IMO is coop (2 players) and PVP (2vs2), that might add that sense of urge that souls games have. (that urge to explore 'cause might be a piece of gear that could upgrade).

Last edited:

Rush2112

Banned
Only thing that could really hurt the game is if the main story turns out lackluster or if the NPCs are boring or worse yet, hated like Ava in borderlands 3. You can mod /patch everything else but you cant mod boring or uninspired main plot.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Remember the leak / rumor that Redfall and Starfield were in rough shape?

It sounds like he got Hi Fi Rush right and Redfall right. Doesn't bode well for Starfield but we'll see.

Edit: He said Redfall is in much better shape than Starfield so it's probably bogus.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Only thing that could really hurt the game is if the main story turns out lackluster or if the NPCs are boring or worse yet, hated like Ava in borderlands 3. You can mod /patch everything else but you cant mod boring or uninspired main plot.

To be frank, Bethesda and great stories/great characters isn't exactely something we should expect to be on the menu.

Raven117

There's a reason Skyrim has been remastered and rereleased 100 times. There's a very special and unique game under there. It was able to draw you into it.

If it can do that... People will accept the bugs.

If it can't.... they're screwed and frankly so are we... because it's really the only game this year that has the potential to be something that special.
This.

jose4gg

Edit: He said Redfall is in much better shape than Starfield so it's probably bogus.

I agree with your assessment of Starfield, but Starfield is on another level of ambition, so Redfall being in better shape is not necessarily something out of this world...

StueyDuck

If it deserves it then it deserves it 🤷‍♂️

They won't however even try to criticize anything with TotK... I'd rather a game gets raked for actual issues then get infinite praise when the final game is just and empty minecraft builder game.

Either way we'll see how it all goes.

As always... fuck reviewers anyway

There's a reason Skyrim has been remastered and rereleased 100 times. There's a very special and unique game under there. It was able to draw you into it.

If it can't.... they're screwed and frankly so are we... because it's really the only game this year that has the potential to be something that special.

Skyrim wasn't their last game.

Their last two games, FO4 and FO76, either had terrible writing (in the case of the former) and/or was a complete clusterfuck (in the case of the latter).

The modern Bethesda Softworks is not the same Bethesda as the team that made Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim. As much as I could probably overlook the bugs, and I actually trust that the RPG mechanics and gameplay mechanics will be pretty strong (likely), it's by far the writing of Starfield that I'm worried about the most. I can see it being an utter disaster, and an RPG with shit writing is the worst possible outcome for Starfield.

Mercador

As much as I liked the old Beth (I even know people working there), they got a free pass from critics for a while, Fallout 4 was the best example from my point of view. I expect to see sub 1080p sub 30fps on Starfield at release. Still, I will play it.

Lupin25

I love their games though
hope it does well.

I hope it doesn’t.

That we’ll teach MS/Arkane not to release such a poor product upon release. This is another huge AAA disappointment that brings 2023 down just another notch from our high expectations.

To somewhat piggyback off of Skill Up’s review comments, this should’ve been cancelled years ago, because there’s elements of its core design (missions, side quests, poor combat, horrible AI, UI/menus) that just can’t be salvaged.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But reviewers never dock points for bugs, poor performance, etc. It's like they either don't see it or don't care.

Lol, the only Xbox game maybe...

hinch7

But reviewers never dock points for bugs, poor performance, etc. It's like they either don't see it or don't care.
It does happen. Cyberpunk 2077 got universally panned on consoles as it was broken and performed like crap, and the critics scores reflected that.

Reviewers generally have better than average PC's, so bad ports were probably not a big factor when it comes to their playthrough. At least in their experience. So games like The Last of Us and Jedi Survivor may still be an enjoyable and playable experience despite poor optimisation. Its different story than constanty coming across bugs, crashes and having sub 20fps dipping to the teens in FPS.

This branch of Bethesda though.. doesn't have the best track record of launching complete games at launch, at least from the last few games from them. And I'd be hugely surprised if they managed to pull that off with a brand new game and IP as ambitious as this is.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m not exactly biggest fan of Bethesda games but I figured most their fan enjoy their games despite the bugs.

The problem was with Fallout 76 when it first came out, they took out everything fans liked about SP focus Bethesda RPG for sake of online gaming and what they left with was just the bugs.

With Cyberpunk 2077 it was decent game but very buggy but bigger problem was it faaaaaar from what CDPR promised when they first reveal the game.

With Redfall based on most reviews it just badly designed game and the bugs it’s least biggest issue.

My point is if Starfield can be good game then most people will be happy even despite of Bethesda trademark bugs and janks.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It does happen. Cyberpunk 2077 got universally panned on consoles as it was broken and performed like crap, and the critics scores reflected that.

Reviewers generally have better than average PC's, so bad ports were probably not a big factor when it comes to their playthrough. At least in their experience. So games like The Last of Us and Jedi Survivor may still be an enjoyable and playable experience despite poor optimisation. Its different story than constanty coming across bugs, crashes and having sub 20fps dipping to the teens in FPS.

This branch of Bethesda though.. doesn't have the best track record of launching complete games at launch, at least from the last few games from them. And I'd be hugely surprised if they managed to pull that off with a brand new game and IP as ambitious as this is.

Sure, but Cyberpunk wasn't just buggy, it was absolutely broken (at least on PS4/XBO).

hinch7

Sure, but Cyberpunk wasn't just buggy, it was absolutely broken (at least on PS4/XBO).
True. There's a limit to what reviewers can take and game breaking bugs probably isn't one of them lol.

If I had to play a game as my job and had to play a broken one from start to finish that would piss me off to no bounds. I mean just looking at Redfall reviews and the buggy Ai pretty hilarious to watch, but also wouldn't want to be that person that has to go through all that.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Lol, the only Xbox game maybe...
What PlayStation game is coming out this year that's going to be the next Skyrim? Please enlighten me.

Look I'm sure Spider Man 2 will be great but it's not going to be talked about in 10 years, sorry.

Skyrim was groundbreaking and an amazing place to get lost in or sink hundreds of hours into. Starfield has the POTENTIAL to be as well. We haven't had that yet this generation. We've been waiting for it.

You might see a divergence of scores between the console and the PC versions. Tradition console reviewers are just looking to can this game. Alot of them are Sony centric and with this being an Xbox exclusive, some will like nothing better than to downgrade it.

The PC game reviewers however will be very different in their approach. Bethesda are PC darlings, and the PC community have been hanging out for this game for ages.

Nydius

Look I'm sure Spider Man 2 will be great but it's not going to be talked about in 10 years, sorry.
You sure about that? The original Spider-Man for PS4 will be 5 years old this September and it's still talked about.

The only reason anyone talks about Skyrim over a decade after the fact is because they kept porting it to everything under the fucking sun and then kept releasing special editions of it. All the Skyrim ports and rereleases are practically a meme. 10 years of releasing the same game with minimal improvements, most of which were stolen from community mods.

Starfield, by virtue of being console (and PC) exclusive, won't have nearly the same reach. Not unless Microsoft decides they want more money and tell Bethesda to go ahead and port that sumbitch to PlayStation platforms. Then we might get another 10 years of one game being constantly rehashed while they slowly plod along on TES6 which, at this rate, won't be out until the Xbox Series X Ultimate One console.

I think it's more likely that, even if Starfield is very good, most people will play it and then go: Okay, where's Elder Scrolls 6 or Fallout 5?

skneogaf

A playstation fan boy friend of mine says he'll buy a xbox series x if its as good as it looks.

I've told him that I don't think it even looks good.

I'll try on gamepass but it looks boring from the little bits that we've seen, I love space anything but meh I'm yet to understand how it will be great.

AmuroChan

OP, have you actually gone hands on with Starfield? I'm not sure how you can draw that conclusion when historically BGS games have always been buggy. Skyrim and Fallout 4 both reviewed well despite the bugs. So I'm not sure what you're basing your conclusion on.

ckaneo

Remember the leak / rumor that Redfall and Starfield were in rough shape?

It sounds like he got Hi Fi Rush right and Redfall right. Doesn't bode well for Starfield but we'll see.

I think this was disproven with Microsofts latest earnings.

That said, no doubt Starfield is coming in hot because all of their games do

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
have zero faith this thing will be anymore than a 7. Bethesda aint what they used to be, and MS has no what idea what quality looks like.

Hope its great - Xbox needs it to be.

//DEVIL//

have zero faith this thing will be anymore than a 7. Bethesda aint what they used to be, and MS has no what idea what quality looks like.

Hope its great - Xbox needs it to be.
last year they demonstrated a video running video below 30fps and honestly speaking it was very boring to watch.
I also do not have high hopes for it. hope I am wrong but I don't trust Bethesda too. .

What PlayStation game is coming out this year that's going to be the next Skyrim? Please enlighten me.

Skyrim was groundbreaking and an amazing place to get lost in or sink hundreds of hours into. Starfield has the POTENTIAL to be as well. We haven't had that yet this generation. We've been waiting for it.

I didn’t say it was on PlayStation either.

Top Bottom