• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I admit it, reviewers are probably going to nuke Starfield into the stone age

Ansphn

Bethesda is like a pager in a world with Smartphones. Bethesda games are obsolete. I respect their history and their contributions to the open-world genre with Skyrim and Elden Scrolls but these games were great 20 years ago and Bethesda did not grow in anyway for the last 20 years. Bethesda is the boomers of the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Crayon

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Nobody makes games quite like Bethesda, and I personally give them a pass for all kinds of technical stuff because like that.

I'm a little worried about starfield, but if it's awesome, I think bugs can be overlooked.

I really hope starfield is a catastrophic failure, just for shits and giggles really. If we could manage a failure that is higher profile than both forespoken and whatever that one arkane just did combined, I'll be really happy.

That being said, I'll also be happy if it is really good. I won't play it but lots of other people will have a really good time.

The only way I'll be upset is if it is just ok.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm ready for some Elder Scrolls if the company can be arsed to actually have a damn timeline.

Starfield is way on the cautiously pessimistic side.

Fallout 4 was a noticeable step down from Fallout 3, and lost its focus on role playing. Starfield is a new IP, so doesn't have that kind established identity to buttheads with. What we've seen of Starfield thus far has also already eclipsed Fallout 4 in terms of role playing - especially the dialogue system. I'm not seeing anything from Starfield so far that makes me think somehow Bethesda has a dud on their hands. Will it be as good as Xbox so desperately needs to be (i.e., Halo: Combat Evolved on the OG Xbox levels of perfection) ? Not a chance. But I expect it'll still be a rock-solid game well worth enjoying.
I’ve always said if Fallout 4 was another game people would have done backflips for it.

Madflavor

I have no emotional investment in Starfield. If it's great, then great I'll have an awesome Space Exploration RPG to play. If it's a bug ridden disaster, I'll grab a beer and enjoy the controversy. The game just looks so unbelievably bland. Not to mention that one leaker who said Redfall and Starfield were in rough shape, was obviously right about Redfall. We'll see come September. I'm predicting another 1-2 month delay, and then disaster.

Ozzie666

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't care at all about Starfield, except for the drama it might cause. I'm more interested in how they treat Indiana Jones and how that turns out.

Mephisto40

I can almost guarantee the reviewers will be sent a copy that cannot be finished due to a game breaking bug

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Post TOTK

Bethesda should waits until next year I don't have a good feelings about this at all
Nice bump
Peanut Butter Yes GIF by Kraft PB

Bethesda is like a pager in a world with Smartphones. Bethesda games are obsolete. I respect their history and their contributions to the open-world genre with Skyrim and Elden Scrolls but these games were great 20 years ago and Bethesda did not grow in anyway for the last 20 years. Bethesda is the boomers of the gaming industry.

Agree with the premise that their design paradigm for RPGs hasn't aged well. I totally disagree that their games are obsolete. No one is making WRPGs in the vein of traditional Bethesda RPGs better than Bethesda. So their games are still very relevant.

In which case, I would amend your analogy. Instead, I would claim their games are like cognac in an age where all the youngsters are drinking fruit-flavored cider. You don't wanna drink cognac every day, but sometimes you just wanna sit down and sip on one whilst reminiscing about old times.

Ansphn

Agree with the premise that their design paradigm for RPGs hasn't aged well. I totally disagree that their games are obsolete. No one is making WRPGs in the vein of traditional Bethesda RPGs better than Bethesda. So their games are still very relevant.

In which case, I would amend your analogy. Instead, I would claim their games are like cognac in an age where all the youngsters are drinking fruit-flavored cider. You don't wanna drink cognac every day, but sometimes you just wanna sit down and sip on one whilst reminiscing about old times.
Fair enough. Good analogy.

aries_71

I don’t know about professional reviewers, but I bet the user score on Metacritic will be a perfect 0.

Alebrije

We have seen basically nothing about this game but for the little we have seen the game could get 6-8 scores. 6 if its a glitch, bad AI fest like Redfall.

There is no video ,plot, image, etc at this moment that indicates Starfield will be a 9,10 , GOTY game..we need to wait.

bender

What time is it?
Beyond F76 which launched in a horrendous state even by Bethesda standards, reviewers tend to overlook the glaring faults (terrible animation system, substandard combat mechanics, endless lists of bugs) in their open world games. Unless Starfield is a complete shit show, I'd assume it would be given the same treatment.

Calverz

Everyone? No, but it’ll be a noisy release for sure and being a platform exclusive doesn’t help. And if it’s 30fps on XSX, ouch.
It will be 30fps on console. Maybe 40-50 unlocked in a performance mode that can be mitigated with a vrr tv.

60-fps experience will be pc imo

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Nobody makes games quite like Bethesda
In this thread, we're in 2011.
Skyrim is about to be released in November.

But on a serious note, you're unfortunately (somewhat) right.
The only game that comes close to Bethesda's simulated worlds is Kingdom Come Deliverance (well, Zelda to some extent)

Every other open world game is like GTA -- things change at every turn of your head.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Predicting that this game is going to be buggy at launch is like predicting that the Sun is gonna rise in the morning.

But I'd sooner believe that everyone will give it a pass for that as long as the game itself is good. If it's gonna be yet another Fallout 76 then I don't think they'll ever gonna return from this.

Top Bottom