• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i fucking love the impact the Steam Deck's already had on the industry in just 1 year.

Nah it was shit, terrible ergonomics. The whole thing was made worse by the memory card situation.

Some of the games were decent and the screen (oled models) was fantastic but apart from that, failure in every way. I'd even say the psp did a better job.
Hey now, I beat a bunch of games on that slab. Its perfectly ergonomic for a handheld you'd be expected to carry with you.

Katatonic

What stops me from buying a Steam Deck is the lack of TATE because of the button layout. Especially if I’m using for emulation or indies that use screen rotation. At least with the Switch, I can re-attach the joycons with the FlipGrip.
This is a big oversight IMO and they’re just leaving money on the table.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Suck Up Season 3 GIF by The Office

Banned
What stops me from buying a Steam Deck is the lack of TATE because of the button layout. Especially if I’m using for emulation or indies that use screen rotation. At least with the Switch, I can re-attach the joycons with the FlipGrip.
This is a big oversight IMO and they’re just leaving money on the table.

I think people are selling tate grips, or at least have built some using 3D printers.

also I assume you COULD use it in tate mode by rotating it counter clockwise and using the Dpad for movement and the touchpad as buttons

edit: something like this:
yZt8OCD.png

Last edited:

flying_sq

I appreciate what the steam deck has done for PC gaming, but the form factor is too comprimised for me. I'd rather just have a gaming laptop. Not sure exactly who the systems are aimed at, but when I travel its nice to be able to kick back with an Xbox controller and a decent sized screen.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I appreciate what the steam deck has done for PC gaming, but the form factor is too comprimised for me. I'd rather just have a gaming laptop. Not sure exactly who the systems are aimed at, but when I travel its nice to be able to kick back with an Xbox controller and a decent sized screen.
personally the absolute perfect form factor would be a 3DS/DS style layout since the gigantic handheld thing is kind of out of control and hard to manage. but without the terrible keyboards and performance previous GPD Win products would have.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Yeah, it seems as PC gaming handhelds have a bright future ahead. Lots of compelling devices that hits the market right now. The ROG ally has certainly gotten my attention. I never cared much for the Deck, due to it being so ugly and bulky, like, I'm getting serious LYNX vibes with that shit, but ROG ally looks more like an actual handheld, sleek and comfortable, while also boasting some serious horse power.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think people are selling tate grips, or at least have built some using 3D printers.

also I assume you COULD use it in tate mode by rotating it counter clockwise and using the Dpad for movement and the touchpad as buttons

edit: something like this:
yZt8OCD.png
come on you'd look ridiculous like that....not to mention the weight balance would be abysmal. Deck is large as is

would it really hurt to just have some big black bars on the sides of the screen?

Banned
come on you'd look ridiculous like that....not to mention the weight balance would be abysmal. Deck is large as is

would it really hurt to just have some big black bars on the sides of the screen?

just sayin that it's possible to use it in tate mode :) I wouldn't do it either I think, but you can if you really want to.

I actually did something similar on my N-Gage back in the early 2000s when I emulated Mega Drive on it.
i played through all the Sonic games on it, the issue is this is what the N-Gage's screen looks like:

OIP.Ce0rCLFvPCfd5-KE32dOpQHaEO

as you can see, it has the exact opposite issue lol. it basically is tate orientation by default (and came with the free vertical shooter "Space Impact Evolution X" that was great back then)

BUT, the emulator allowed you to rebind the left interface button (the one with the line on it botton left), and it allowed you to turn the screen clockwise!
Sonic on MegaDrive only needs a single button, all buttons on the controller do the same thing... so I bound A to the left interface button and held my N-Gage upright, which gave me a normal screen aspect ratio :D

did it look really dumb? yes... did it work tho? absolutely :D

sonicgagevwc13.png

sometimes, emulation makes you do strange things :)

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
it worked. i got rid of my windows install
gotta credit them for that too.
What's the best way to do this? I've dabbled with dual boot and pass through, but to really make the full switch.. What's the recommended approach?

The only thing holding me back from ditching windows has been gaming.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
just sayin that it's possible to use it in tate mode :) I wouldn't do it either I think, but you can if you really want to.

I actually did something similar on my N-Gage back in the early 2000s when I emulated Mega Drive on it.
i played through all the Sonic games on it, the issue is this is what the N-Gage's screen looks like:

OIP.Ce0rCLFvPCfd5-KE32dOpQHaEO

as you can see, it has the exact opposite issue lol. it basically is tate orientation by default (and came with the free vertical shooter "Space Impact Evolution X" that was great back then)

BUT, the emulator allowed you to rebind the left interface button (the one with the line on it botton left), and it allowed you to turn the screen clockwise!
Sonic on MegaDrive only needs a single button, all buttons on the controller do the same thing... so I bound A to the left interface button and held my N-Gage upright, which gave me a normal screen aspect ratio :D

did it look really dumb? yes... did it work tho? absolutely :D

sonicgagevwc13.png

sometimes, emulation makes you do strange things :)
you are wacky man.... even a Sega Nomad would have made more sense. but if it works it works.

Banned
you are wacky man.... even a Sega Nomad would have made more sense. but if it works it works.

you can't beat having a GB, MegaDrive and PS1 ports like Pandemonium and THPS1 all in one system in your pocket + IT BEING YOUR PHONE... back in 2003
I can't be dragging a freaking Nomad with me! 🤣

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
you can't beat having a GB, MegaDrive and PS1 ports like Pandemonium and THPS1 all in one system in your pocket + IT BEING YOUR PHONE... back in 2003
AYN Odin might be the 2022 reincarnation of the N gage then... plays up to PS2 while having a fucking SIM CARD SLOT for all your data needs. it can't actually call but if you're using something like whatsapp or signal it basically just is your new phone, LOL

Banned
AYN Odin might be the 2022 reincarnation of the N gage then... plays up to PS2 while having a fucking SIM CARD SLOT for all your data needs. it can't actually call but if you're using something like whatsapp or signal it basically just is your new phone, LOL

my phone can play up to PS2 as well... it's not running great tho... I think these days having a clip-on controller would suffice as well.
I never bothered getting one of those tho, as I'm not playing as much on the go anymore anyways.
but today, basically any android phone that's decent will run at least Dreamcast and PSP.

I do have Ridge Racer 2 PSP on my android tho, because that one works really well with touch controls, which I set up like in the Android spinoff Ridge Racer Slipstream, and is a great game to quickly hope in and out on the go.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
my phone can play up to PS2 as well... it's not running great tho...
yea that's kind of the thing. AYN Odin can play most Ps2 games without any hiccups

if they added call functionality i would seriously throw out my old phone and just use that instead. would it look ridiculous? yes

would i care? no. Clip ons are honestly too inconvenient. why hold 2 things when you can just have 1 & be done with it?

Nautilus

Banned
It is though. It's a tablet with a dock packaged in. It needs a peripheral to connect to a TV. If the Switch isn't a handheld then neither is the deck.
But the Steam is not a handheld either...

They are both hybrid consoles, that can be both played as a home console and a portable console. Of course, the Switch is a better realised version of that, given the detachable controlers, but both are hybrids.

Why people can't accept this single fact already?

Brigandier

There's only one handheld that has amazing exclusive games. The rest are just handhelds.

That's just blatant fanboyism, Steam and other apps on windows have lots of games that Switch doesn't LOTS.

A lot of people buying "the rest" will emulate those amazing exclusive games and run them very well or even perfect due to having so much more horsepower.

Rush2112

Banned
That's just blatant fanboyism, Steam and other apps on windows have lots of games that Switch doesn't LOTS.

A lot of people buying "the rest" will emulate those amazing exclusive games and run them very well or even perfect due to having so much more horsepower.
meh emulation isnt plug-n-play. you do need to know what you're doing and, unless pirating, you also need to own the swtich and the game in order to play it on steam deck.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
meh emulation isnt plug-n-play. you do need to know what you're doing and, unless pirating, you also need to own the swtich and the game in order to play it on steam deck.
doesn't change the fact that these switch games can still be played on a Steam Deck, Ayn Loki, ROG Ally, Aya Neo and everything else that will eventually come out in the future. They're not exclusives, not anymore at least

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm glad it's killed off that disgusting GPD Win mini-laptop form factor.
It's only disgusting because GPD did it and had no idea how to properly make it look and function good. If another more competent company tries their hand at the design (and ditches the shitty keyboard in place of a touchscreen) it'd actually be practical

Last edited:

Killer8

It's only disgusting because GPD did it and had no idea how to properly make it look and function good. If another more competent company tries their hand at the design (and ditches the shitty keyboard in place of a touchscreen) it'd actually be practical)

The mistake was making the keyboard a mainstay when it's barely used even on Steam Deck when actually playing games. Something like PSP Go where there is a sliding design with just a controller layout on the bottom section could be worthwhile.

Brigandier

Even so you're discarding steams library which dwarfs every console library combined and then quadruple it and then many other stores that will run on these handhelds including a Steam Deck it's an unbelievable amount of games it has access too.

So because Steam Deck or a AyaNeo etc doesn't have Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Xenoblade they don't matter? Sorry but troll somewhere else.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The mistake was making the keyboard a mainstay when it's barely used even on Steam Deck when actually playing games. Something like PSP Go where there is a sliding design with just a controller layout on the bottom section could be worthwhile.
Maybe, though the 3ds/DS layout seems more comfortable. i'd also add a slight indent to it so it feels more like a controller, instead of the DS where it's basically a slab lol.

Kenpachii

Deck is so good because of:
- Entire steam library, it dwarfs every other library raelly and it runs it well
- It runs every other client like ea/ubisoft/epic/gog, gives it even more games
- Runs every emulator under the sun, including switch and all nintendo games, but also all sony games besides PS4 / PS5 games but most of them are ported anyway that matter to PC and it runs those perfectly fine
- full access towards all PC software
- Full control over the hardware
- Hardware beefy enought to run whatever u throw at it
- Cheap, storage can be expanded towards your liking
- Big and comfortable to hold, with a lot of control options, trackpads or whatever u call them are great whenever u don't have a mouse
- Everything just works well, docking station keyboard mouse, its basically a full blown PC at that point.
- Because its so open, u have access towards making your own programs and apps and community solutions like layouts that are even pushed through steam.
- It just works.
- Can make you even feel that your 500+ watt PC is a waste of money after for a while on the deck.

It's basically the end game handheld, even if nintendo or sony would come out with a deck 2.0, the limitations towards library's , costumisation and emulation makes them already irrelevant, honestly deck has no competition.

It's pretty much the handheld people wanted since day one of handhelds.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

my phone can play up to PS2 as well... it's not running great tho... I think these days having a clip-on controller would suffice as well.
I never bothered getting one of those tho, as I'm not playing as much on the go anymore anyways.
but today, basically any android phone that's decent will run at least Dreamcast and PSP.

I do have Ridge Racer 2 PSP on my android tho, because that one works really well with touch controls, which I set up like in the Android spinoff Ridge Racer Slipstream, and is a great game to quickly hope in and out on the go.
I bought one of those controllers for my Z fold 3 and used it for a bit then never again lol... im sure ill pick it up again at some point (but not really)

Last edited:

Elitro

The dream handheld for me would be a crossover between the switch and framework laptop.

A modular handheld that can dock at home for the full desktop power with continuous upgradeability.

The ROG Ally apparently has an external GPU but it seems to be proprietary :(

Also, windows compatibility is really important (for me), since i currently use game pass over steam.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What are you smoking? Steam Deck didn't start anything or change anything. It jumped into a niche market and had a niche level of success.
Nintendo fanboys are sad...

On switch topics they say steam deck isn't competing with switch and that Nintendo don't really care.

On deck topics they come and say dumb things as this... Like if Nintendo with their outdated easily emulated hardware was doing something to push technology forward...

What a joke 🤣.
Sure that is exactly what is happening. Or you are projecting your obnoxious and ignorant fanboy tendencies on others and cherry picking a couple of examples to apply across the evil other team.

The facts are that the Nintendo switch sells more than the steam decks lifetime sales each month, on average. Though it is finally declining and that statement will not be true much longer. It is bonkers to say that something that sold less than 2% of the units that something else is selling is really competing with it. Nintendo HW is outdated, underpowered and shitty. But so is the fucking Steam Deck. That is how mobile works, you take less complex ICs that use less power and make something that is OK only because it is portable. It is a tradeoff. If you can argue that the Steam Deck is amazing and pushed things forward, then so can Nintendo fans because the Switch is a pretty decent portable system that was designed ~ 7 years ago. You'd have to have no appreciation for engineering to understand that a cheap, mobile device with long battery life is an accomplishment, and you have to be a deluded fanboy clown to cite something that isn't cheap, has crappy battery life and was designed 5 years later as the reason for your assessment.

And I am not claiming the Steam Deck is not a well engineered device. It balances a lot and does a good job at it. I would never get one. I prefer my PC games running on high end GPUs. But I have a Switch and will play TotK on it and I will buy the next Nintendo machine for me to play the exclusives and for my kids to play some nice games that are not mindless tablet garbage.

Valve wouldn't have made the Deck if it wasn't for Switch.

I love the Switch but it does have drawbacks and Valve thought they could do better. Competition and innovation is good! I don't have a Deck but I would love to get one whenever we get a "Deck 2".

Unknown?

But the Steam is not a handheld either...

They are both hybrid consoles, that can be both played as a home console and a portable console. Of course, the Switch is a better realised version of that, given the detachable controlers, but both are hybrids.

Why people can't accept this single fact already?
Okay so I guess the PSP slim was a hybrid too?Now we're saying the PS1 with the screen isn't a console but a hybrid?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Switch 2 gonna light another fire under everyone's ass next year.
Not really. Won't have early access titles, PC only titles and will get new indie titles months after PC. Most of the Nintendo games don't need a high powered machine, but AAA games will run and look better.....but then again, just play a better version on a PS5, XSX or even Steam Deck (which will still all be better than a Switch 2).

I used to buy and play these games on the Switch. Since I got a SD, I have not bout one non-Nintendo game on it. I used to buy LOTS of games.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Okay so I guess the PSP slim was a hybrid too?Now we're saying the PS1 with the screen isn't a console but a hybrid?
Does the PSP come with the ability to play as a home console from the get go? Or rather, whatever dock it uses(if it uses) was available for purchase as soon as the PSP launched? Because I don't remember that being the case.

And yeah, the PS1 version with a screen(always forget this weird version of the PS1 exists) is kind of a portable home console. It's just not a hybrid because it's not really "portable", in the sense you need to put it down somewhere to then play(So it's not playable anywhere, and thus not a handHELD), so it's simply a more versatile home console. But that was the basic gist of what Nintendo eventually created with the Switch that we now call a hybrid console.

Ok, what's the next goalpost you want to move?

And I am not claiming the Steam Deck is not a well engineered device.
Yes you are.

What a pile of crap did I just read?... Shit post, filled with fanboy rage.

I don't own a steamdeck, I'm not really into "on the go" gaming, how the fuck am I a fanboy?

Steam deck is a PC with amazing price per performance... There weren't anything like that before it so yeah it was pioneer.

I'm glad that other companies are following VALVE steps releasing other good hardware propositions after they saw the success of Steam Deck

Last edited:
Yes you are.

What a pile of crap did I just read?... Shit post, filled with fanboy rage.

I don't own a steamdeck, I'm not really into "on the go" gaming, how the fuck am I a fanboy?

Steam deck is a PC with amazing price per performance... There weren't anything like that before it so yeah it was pioneer.

I'm glad that other companies are following VALVE steps releasing other good hardware propositions after they saw the success of Steam Deck

What.

All he said was that the Steam Deck was balanced a little more towards power efficiency as the Switch was (albeit to a lesser degree).

It has barely been out, yet more and more gamers are recognizing that its the best handheld ever built.
This fact conflicts with people who have such fond and irrational attachments to past handhelds, when they're clearly inferior to the Steam Deck.

Did the Steam deck have any games that wouldn't exist without it like said handhelds did?

I'm not seeing much impact here at all.

I see a lot of niche devices that may or may not succeed catering to a small install base. Steam Deck is the best those will ever get and the gap is massive.

But eventually those are all going to fade away as the few people they can get to pay $1200 for a AMD steam deck clone running windows 11 stop coming when the excitement dies off. Which may be now. We haven't seen many new announcements for handhelds compared to before it felt like there was a new announcement once a week.

Rush2112

Banned
Even so you're discarding steams library which dwarfs every console library combined and then quadruple it and then many other stores that will run on these handhelds including a Steam Deck it's an unbelievable amount of games it has access too.

So because Steam Deck or a AyaNeo etc doesn't have Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart and Xenoblade they don't matter? Sorry but troll somewhere else.
You can play steam library on a regular old pc you don’t need steam deck.

You need a switch to play switch games even for emulation (for dumping data)

one offers you an experience you can have on any decent pc
the other only offers the experience if you buy the actual handheld unit and the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom