• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i fucking love the impact the Steam Deck's already had on the industry in just 1 year.

Brigandier

You can play steam library on a regular old pc you don’t need steam deck.

Errm no shit Columbo... 🤣🤣🤣

You Got It Ok GIF

Yeah I usually carry my PC set up around with me when I'm on the train or if I'm on business etc 🤣🤣

What are you even going on about...

Mr Branding

Exclusivity. Steam Deck has no exclusives. Glad you agree.
Kobe Bryant What GIF

Not the point, my man. I won’t play my desktop or laptop in bed or in my car. I want access to my huge steam library ON THE GO!

Also, what do you even gain by such blind fanboyism? I will never get it..

More on topic, I fucking love my SD. Last night finished my 2nd playthrough of Rdr2. Amazing feels!
Can’t wait to see performance on Jedi Survivor, can’t believe we’re living in such a time, playing these kind of games in a handheld form….

…too bad they’re not ‘exclusive’.

Last edited:

cireza

Why is that?
I might be a bit redundant as I have already shared my thoughts in other threads, but here is why :

- these modern handheld consoles are not real handheld consoles
- they are a PC put in a thing that is somehow transportable
- they are not as easy to take with you as previous handhelds such as 3DS, Vita or GBA
- they have active cooling
- they have low battery
- games presentation is not optimized for the small screen
- games are not optimized for the hardware (before, every game on handheld was an exclusive effort getting the most out the hardware)

All of these mean that these consoles are actually shriveled PCs that deliver a super poor experience in terms of actually being handheld and presenting games with maximum visibility and low consumption. The trend started on Vita, with a ton of PC ports of indie games that were never meant to be displayed in a small screen. Many had unreadable text, like Darkest Dungeon for example.

A quick reminder of what a handheld game could look like, because it is as if people have totally forgotten that we once had quality experiences on handhelds, tailored specifically for the small screens.

Here is FF X interface on Switch (top) and Vita (bottom) :
tgXVU2A.png

Which one is the most readable ? I think the answer is evident. Even though the Vita has a smaller screen, in the end, the elements are bigger as the screen is better filled and more space is used. This is not a tremendous effort, it is the minimal effort to do on a handheld.

Kirby on Switch vs Kirby on 3DS :

LkQCvEF.png

(lower picture is blurry because I scaled it to be the same size as Switch, note that resolution is absolutely not a problem for visibility on handheld)
In the first game, when you bring this picture back to the size of the Switch Lite, Kirby is a bit small.
On 3DS however, it is super easy to see everything.

I didn't pick the worst offenders, by the way.

Displaying something on a handheld is not the same as taking a TV picture, shrinking it down and calling it a day.

Last edited:

JCK75

Personally I think the real thing that makes the deck exciting outside of the form factor is SteamOS and how far Linux gaming has come.
This time SteamOS feels ready for prime time and I hope to see all sorts of living room machines as well as handhelds that compete with other consoles.

These cost effective machines are especially welcome in that building/buying a gaming PC right now seems really unaffordable.. I keep trying to price together a build for myself and I can't seem
to keep it under $3000 and that frustrates me.

Topher

Gold Member
I might be a bit redundant as I have already shared my thoughts in other threads, but here is why :

- they are not as easy to take with you as previous handhelds such as 3DS, Vita or GBA
- they have low battery
- games are not optimized for the hardware (before, every game on handheld was an exclusive effort getting the most out the hardware)

All of these mean that these consoles are actually shriveled PCs that deliver a super poor experience in terms of actually being handheld and presenting games with maximum visibility and low consumption. The trend started on Vita, with a ton of PC ports of indie games that were never meant to be displayed in a small screen. Many had unreadable text, like Darkest Dungeon for example.

A quick reminder of what a handheld game could look like, because it is as if people have totally forgotten that we once had quality experiences on handhelds, tailored specifically for the small screens.

tgXVU2A.png

Which one is the most readable ? I think the answer is evident. Even though the Vita has a smaller screen, in the end, the elements are bigger as the screen is better filled and more space is used. This is not a tremendous effort, it is the minimal effort to do on a handheld.

LkQCvEF.png

(lower picture is blurry because I scaled it to be the same size as Switch, note that resolution is absolutely not a problem for visibility on handheld)
In the first game, when you bring this picture back to the size of the Switch Lite, Kirby is a bit small.

Displaying something on a handheld is not the same as taking a TV picture, shrinking it down and calling it a day.

Thanks. Very interesting perspective on it.

Topher

Gold Member
Not really because of Nintendo. We’ve had Nintendo handhelds for ages.
We just finally had the right combination of OS, CPU and GPU to make a mass market handheld PC feasible.

And this isn't just with handhelds. The mini PC market is seeing a lot of activity with these Ryzen APUs as well. Clearly these companies are seeing the opportunity for new markets with this tech. Previously a handheld being able to play modern PC games didn't seem possible until the emergence of these APUs.

Thirty7ven

Banned
So far I’ve only seen PC hardcore owning a steamdeck, and where do they use it? At home. On the couch when the gf is watching tv, in bed before sleeping. It’s honestly hilarious. They spend as much time tinkering with the settings and testing performance as they do on a PC.

You would think it would skew younger but far from it.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Thanks. Very interesting perspective on it.
a perspective i have a hard time understanding tbh

at least for me, in my time of playing the switch i can still read and understand those games without much trouble. It's a consideration sure but not one that ultimately takes away that much from all the other benefits that come with these more strong handhelds. I can understand the size and battery thing though, those are my biggest issues with the Steam Deck

also that kirby example is a bit odd to me because the Kirby on Switch is fully 3D, he's gonna be smaller because the environment is bigger and you need a better camera to see everything ahead of you. the pulled in camera works for 3DS because it's a 2.5D game

I'd rather the camera in Forgotten Lands not be like Kingdom Hearts 1 or God of War where the main character is zoomed the fuck in and it's hard to see stuff behind you (and even in front of you at times)

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Valve never misses.
Except when they tried to sell Prebuild SteamPCmachines. I don't even remember the marketing name.

Have them release this stuff in India. Its the ultimate piracy machine.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You would think it would skew younger but far from it.
it's still a very big and bulky device with a bad battery that can only be purchased from steam directly

future revisions will come that are smaller, longer lasting and better performing and that's the stuff that i think will have mass market appeal

Ozriel

M$FT

- they have low battery

tgXVU2A.png

LkQCvEF.png

I don’t want to invalidate your own experiences, but I’ve played multiple games on my Steamdeck and they’ve all translated well. Certainly not a ‘super poor experience’.

Rykan

The comparison is that Nintendo offers exclusives that can only be played on the platform and deck doesn’t. Even for emulation you need to own a jailbroken switch.
The fact that you can't play the games you've purchased on Switch on any other hardware besides your Switch is not the flex that you seem to think it is.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The comparison is that Nintendo offers exclusives that can only be played on the platform and deck doesn’t. Even for emulation you need to own a jailbroken switch.
you don't need to own a jailbroken switch to get access to switch roms.

Besides that though.... you're not wrong in that the Steam Deck has no exclusives that can't be played on a PC. the thing is that... welll
who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

If games were made exclusive to Steam Deck that'd be fucking stupid. Stop thinking of PC hardware as needing exclusvies to survive like console hardware. they don't. PC's featuresets and game library is so vast we don't need any retarded exclusives

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Linux gaming can be just as good, if not superior, to gaming on Windows. This handheld's software combined with Microsoft's repeated failures with Windows could shape PC gaming for the next decade.
Eh? I wish.

And what MS failures with Windows are those?

Not really. Won't have early access titles, PC only titles and will get new indie titles months after PC. Most of the Nintendo games don't need a high powered machine, but AAA games will run and look better.....but then again, just play a better version on a PS5, XSX or even Steam Deck (which will still all be better than a Switch 2).

I used to buy and play these games on the Switch. Since I got a SD, I have not bout one non-Nintendo game on it. I used to buy LOTS of games.
Mario Kart 9.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Eh? I wish.

I've been Linux gaming for over a month now and there aren't many games that don't work here (other than the usual anticheat stuff)

It's about as feature complete as Windows, only things missing is HDR (which will be a thing soon enough, by next year or so)

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I've been Linux gaming for over a month now and there aren't many games that don't work here (other than the usual anticheat stuff)

It's about as feature complete as Windows, only things missing is HDR (which will be a thing soon enough, by next year or so
So it's not just as good or better. I doubt there are not many games that don't work even with proton or have worse performance and or/visuals (like missing RT effects). There are emulators still without a Linux version...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There are emulators still without a Linux version...
Like? i'd seriously like to know, everything i use has a Linux version because emulator devs always opensource their stuff. RPCS3, Cemu, Yuzu, Dolphin, PCSX2, Duckstation... all on Linux.

Even if the emulator doesn't have a standalone version on Linux (which is heavily unlikely) there's always a Libretro core for it that you can play on Retroarch.
I doubt there are not many games that don't work even with proton or have worse performance and or/visuals (like missing RT effects).
I've played many games over the past month. Only Forza Horizon 5 has crashing issues (it still booted and ran well, it just crashed often)
It's about as plug N play as you can get. Resident Evil 4 which came out like a couple weeks ago ran perfectly with 0 configuration or setup. Linux has gotten to that point.
Telemetry, bloat, forcing MS store on us when it's not even as good as your average Linux repository, metro UI making finding legacy options hard (which wouldn't be an issue if the white metro options had what people were looking for)
and to top it off.... THIS rumored UI for Windows 12 will make a lot of Linux converts.

Windows is fine, hell most of these issues actually don't bother me that much as opposed to not being able to modify the desktop environment.. but they're major turnoffs for many other people out there. Hell Win11 which i thought was a good, decent version of Windows was reviled by many people across the community. The Steam Deck pushing Linux gaming forward like this is definitely shaping the next decade of PC gaming.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Like? i'd seriously like to know, everything i use has a Linux version because emulator devs always opensource their stuff. RPCS3, Cemu, Yuzu, Dolphin, PCSX2... all on Linux.

Even if the emulator doesn't have a standalone version on Linux (which is heavily unlikely) there's always a Libretro core for it that you can play on Retroarch.

I've played many games over the past month. Only Forza Horizon 5 has crashing issues (it still booted and ran well, it just crashed often)
It's about as plug N play as you can get. Resident Evil 4 which came out like a couple weeks ago ran perfectly with 0 configuration or setup. Linux has gotten to that point.

Telemetry, bloat, forcing MS store on us when it's not even as good as your average Linux repository, metro UI making finding legacy options hard (which wouldn't be an issue if the white metro options had what people were looking for)
and to top it off.... THIS rumored UI for Windows 12 will make a lot of Linux converts.

Windows is fine, hell most of these issues actually don't bother me that much as opposed to not being able to modify the desktop environment.. but they're major turnoffs for many other people out there. Hell Win11 which i thought was a good, decent version of Windows was reviled by many people across the community. The Steam Deck pushing Linux gaming forward like this is definitely shaping the next decade of PC gaming.
Like Xenia.

Plague Tale requiem have issues, for example. I could not turn on RT in RE3R.

None of this are issues and forced MS store is still "better forced" on Windows as the games don't work on Linux.

Minsc

Gold Member
The great thing about the Steam Deck is it gives you options that are relatively dumbed down to a console experience to play games like Octopath Traveler and Doom and others in a handheld form that is better than the alternative - Switch. Whether due to controls or framerate, or ability to customize to your liking, the thing is really an evolution for handheld gaming, particularly the OS and all the features it brings which only ever partially existing in CFW in the past.

Does the PSP come with the ability to play as a home console from the get go?
You had to buy the adapter separately. You know, exactly like the SteamDeck?

Or are you highlighting there wasn't an official adapter available at launch? You know, exactly like the SteamDeck?

Tams

I think you're blowing the Steam Deck's influence way out of proportion.

GPD and OneXPlayer were already well established. AYA already had their first device out and available. The ASUS ROG Ally had been under development for years.

And even the Android ones like AYN's will have been under development.

Rather, it seems to be more around coincidental timing, and AMD APUs becoming available and capable.

Really, if anything the Switch set this off.

Topher

Gold Member
the steam deck really doesn't exist without the switch

I don't think that is necessarily the case. As O Ozriel pointed out, Nintendo has been making successful handhelds for many years. It wasn't until newer emerging technologies that the possibility of PC games available in a handheld device became a reality.

StueyDuck

Banned
I don't think that is necessarily the case. As O Ozriel pointed out, Nintendo has been making successful handhelds for many years. It wasn't until newer emerging technologies that the possibility of PC games available in a handheld device became a reality.
Anyone who thinks the deck exists without the switch is fooling themselves.

Otherwise we would've had one already if the wiiU took off

Topher

Gold Member

How? The tech to bring full x86 PC gaming to handhelds wasn't available. Again, Nintendo's success with handhelds did not begin with Switch.

BTW, the GPD Win handheld gaming PC was launched the same month that the Switch was announced. How did that exist without Switch?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

The PSVita and 3DS took off. Not sure how much gaming anyone would have had out of a netbook CPU paired with a 2014 era Intel iGPU, running Windows 7.

You guys forget Valve tried with SteamOS back in the day. Proton did the heavy lifting to bring them to their current levels where a huge part of the Steam library works well in SteamOS…and much of that is fairly recent.

StueyDuck

Banned
How? The tech to bring full x86 PC gaming to handhelds wasn't available. Again, Nintendo's success with handhelds did not begin with Switch.
The biggest giveaway is the switch being a disgusting roaring success and valve seeing that and then making something similar even in form factor.

It's like saying all smart phones were created because there once was a Nokia 3310 and not that Apple changed the industry with the Iphones roaring success

Top Bottom