• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate this kind of threads but....(asking for opinions about the GBA)

FiRez

Well while searching for a TI-83 I ended very interested on a GBA mainly because:

-The scene (some very nifty homebrew apps: emus, games, tech demos, etc and you can use can use BASIC to compile your own projects :D, it really impressed me at almost the level of the scene on the xbox, I'm still trying to search for more info on this)
-I have played some very interesting games before: the first warioware, metroid prime, metal slug, Klonoa and so far it seems that the system has not been abandoned too much because the DS
-The battery on the SP model is rechargable and it seems that the lightning of the screen is better too

But I'm still undecided because:
-the longevity of the system
-Maybe the scene isn't that functional or practical in real life (I don't know much people with a GBA let alone Flash cart owners)
-I could use part of the money to buy the most recent handhelds(maybe do you think that is cheap enough but I don't live in a industrial country so the import costs alone are 30$ aprox)

Do you think that it worths to buy one at this time?

Vard

Yeah, it's worth buying. You should wait to see how much the Micro costs, and if it's out of your price range, than go for the GBA SP.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
It's STILL a good purchase, in my opinion. If you haven't owned one in the past, there are a ton of great titles that you really should experience (the Castlevanias, Advance Wars, Wario Ware Twisted, Metroid Zero, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Astro Boy). There are hundreds of hours of gameplay in the few I mentioned.

I have reservations about the screen size on the GBA Micro. Has anyone spent any hands-on time with it here?

FiRez

Thanks, maybe I should buy a SP model because the screen and the rechargable battery and I don't see Nintendo dropping the price beyond 70$. the only cons is that it needs a propietary kind of earphones but isn't a deal breaker.

Jeff-DSA

Geek said:
It's STILL a good purchase, in my opinion. If you haven't owned one in the past, there are a ton of great titles that you really should experience (the Castlevanias, Advance Wars, Wario Ware Twisted, Metroid Zero, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Astro Boy). There are hundreds of hours of gameplay in the few I mentioned.

I have reservations about the screen size on the GBA Micro. Has anyone spent any hands-on time with it here?

I played it at E3 and I really liked it. I'll be buying one for sure.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the "just get a ds" camp. most of my games I play at the moment are GBA games, and the screeen is better. it's bigger, but eh.... one of your concerns is longevity, a DS should address that. The other one is the scene.... you get that on ds as well.

Teddman

Geek said:
I'd recommend a GBA SP or DS instead of the Micro, unless exteme portability is your number one concern. The screen is just too small, as is the unit. I found it uncomfortable on both the eyes and hands.

Top Bottom