• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i legitimately think baldur's gate 3 is the greatest RPG ever made, and amongs the best games ever

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
You for real ? It didn't do too well on the woke chart..

These younger gens are so acclimated to this cringe already and don't even realize it. sad
0f2cv7U.gif
You're really going to use a source that cites "n***er politics" as a criteria in their scale?

Vol5

Pretty much agree. Wasn't too on board with the combat - Initially it felt extremely limited, but one you start to level up and take advantage of your powers and the environment, it's killer. Each fight is a challenge. Also, the music. It's absolutely wild. Like Zimmer, john Williams movie level standard.

Last edited:
I'm with you, at about 140 hours on Steam, have made at least half a dozen characters. My 'main' is early in Act II and only about 45 hours playtime. I just always get the urge to roll a new character, or do something a different way, or just start a new campaign with a friend.

Easily one of the greatest games I've ever played, just impressive, fun, interesting, etc. at all levels. Easy GOTY and GOAT'd game.

SRTtoZ

Is it worth grabbing on PS5 for the achievements if I already own it on Steam? Is there a physical edition planned after the success of the PC version?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Is it worth grabbing on PS5 for the achievements if I already own it on Steam? Is there a physical edition planned after the success of the PC version?
Achievements don’t pop with a save transfer. So you’d have to trigger them all over again. Steam is the same. I’d just load a save before an achievement and re-do it.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
So far my top 5 games I've played this year are:

1 - Armored Core 6
2 - Baldurs Gate 3 (only about 10 hours in so this might change)
3- Tears of the Kingdom
4 - Hogwarts Legacy
5 - Xenoblade 3

BG3 is fantastic and I do love it. But there are minor glitches and technical issues that do bring down the experience a bit. Nothing major, but enough and frequent enough to show some blemishes.

Meicyn

Gold Member

These younger gens are so acclimated to this cringe already and don't even realize it. sad
0f2cv7U.gif
lmao

a woke chart for games

i can smell the mix of dirty socks cool ranch doritos and moldy takeout from here

Waay too much modern woke/cringe writing to bring it down. I'm sure RejectEra is head over heels with this one.. lol

0f2cv7U.gif
You should be so fucking embarrassed posting that, holy shit.

mrcroket

I'm pretty sure that (while still being a great game) its fame and interest by the general public has been motivated by some unexpected temporary exclusivity accompanied by a big release of a certain game.

I never saw the same interest for other games of the same genre (or even from the same company, like divinity) of great quality and very similar style.

But hey, just a thought.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure that (while still being a great game) its fame and interest by the general public has been motivated by some unexpected temporary exclusivity accompanied by a big release of a certain game.

I never saw the same interest for other games of the same genre (or even from the same company, like divinity) of great quality and very similar style.

But hey, just a thought.
Yeah the 5.2 million copies of Baldur’s Gate 3 sold on Steam alone was motivated by console wars.

lmao

I'm burning to get into it, but my priorities list keeps getting longer and longer.

After Sea of Stars, FFVI (again). Might be able to squeeze it in before Spider-Man 2.

Ack!
Same here. I have had a policy to never pay full price for a digital game. However, the Sea of Stars demo hooked me, so I broke down and bought it. BG3 is next.

Humdinger

Sounds like a great RPG, and I plan to pick it up eventually. I'm holding off for now mainly because of the time commitment required. I'm not at the point where I want to invest that much time in a game. Maybe later.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m absolutely in love with BG3 (which is surprising since I generally don’t care for RPGs that much), but HOLY SHIT is the coop janky as hell in this game.

I’ve been playing through with a friend, and there are just sooooo many small client/server glitches (like UIs refreshing when someone else is going through dialog or their inventory), as well as a handful of game-breaking bugs.

We’ve softlocked our game at least half a dozen times and had to actually restart BG3 just to get it to work. There have been quests where we set off conflicting flags in the narrative, essentially making them unbeatable or just broken. I bet the single player experience is a lot more airtight, but the jank (both intentional and unintentional) in multiplayer is just insane. Granted, I’m exactly the type of player who will go out of my way to try things that I think will break the game, so I don’t expect most people to have this opinion.

Last edited:
Besides the performance, what’s wrong with act 3?
Bugs and glitches galore. Here's a part of a post I made in the OT after beating the game with a list of some of the weird things I encountered:

...And the bugs man. I went inside a building that had a security camera which showed footage of prisoners trapped in another facility. But I had already freed those prisoners and the facility had been blown up! Then I saved a guy in this new building and as he was following me around, he stopped me for trespassing and I had to pass an ability check. The prisoner I was rescuing stopped me for trespassing in the prison I was freeing him from. I wasn't able to dig up chests anymore, even though I always carry a shovel since act 1. Eventually I found another shovel and the inventory now says I have a stack of 2 shovels. So I had the shovel all this time? Why couldn't I dig? My wizard has magic gloves that let him cast ranged spells without penalty in melee. But I couldn't find the passive toggle for them anywhere in a battle in the sewers in act 3. I kept checking all the different menus for 5 minutes and eventually gave up. Then after the battle I unequipped and reequipped the gloves and the toggle reappeared.

That wizard also has a magic staff with a glowy bit at the end. But the glowy bit doesn't stay on the staff - it'll just float around in the air. So during cutscenes while characters are talking there's this weird glowy light just floating around behind them. It's a bitchin' staff though so I'm not gonna unequip it. There's a haunted house quest I tried a few times before looking it up online to see if it's just bugged and yep you bet your ass it's bugged. Characters that are supposed to talk to me just aren't talking so I can go back an hour and load the game to try again or just give up on that quest. I'll take give up thanks.

I could go on but you get the idea. I was kind of amazed by how good the early parts of the game were, and then despite being aware of some grumbling, equally amazed that the later parts could be so rough. I guess my love of Larian's other titles like divinity and the orgasmic chorus of praise this game gets with its perfect metacritic score kind of put some blinkers on me, but nothing closes your mind to criticism of BG3 more than playing its wonderful first half. I was on such a magical adventure that I just didn't want to believe they would go full bethesda by the end. That's not a comment on starfield which I haven't played but it is a comment on bethesda's other games lol.

So console players beware. I don't want to spoil your fun but I would be shocked if act 3 doesn't have major problems on console and the more prepared you are for them the less painful they'll be... so try to expect the worst and you'll be pleasantly surprised. I was gonna play the game again immediately after beating it with different classes and characters and making different choices, but after seeing act 3 I just want to be done.

So is this game of the year? Yeah...in 2026. When they release the enhanced edition so it's not so buggy and chuggy in act 3, this will be game of the year that year. I might even play it again after they do that. But right now the thing ruining the new Baldur's Gate game is Baldur's Gate.

Bkdk

The biggest shock of awe from larian is when I play Divinity original sin, such interesting turn base combat mechanics. Dragon age inquishition winning so many GOTY titles back in 2014 is one of the most shameful moment of gaming media sites of all time. Inquisition is basically the starfield of that year, perhaps even worse.

Last edited:
So far my top 5 games I've played this year are:

1 - Armored Core 6
2 - Baldurs Gate 3 (only about 10 hours in so this might change)
3- Tears of the Kingdom
4 - Hogwarts Legacy
5 - Xenoblade 3

BG3 is fantastic and I do love it. But there are minor glitches and technical issues that do bring down the experience a bit. Nothing major, but enough and frequent enough to show some blemishes.
Do you mean Future Redeemed? Xenoblade 3 came out last year

Easily best game of the year and one of the best for all time. But I do find the world abit small. You essential have, a forest/swamp, some dark forest with a castle and underground temple and a city.

The areas are jammed packed with things to do but some of them also feel like padding. Your quest is basically return to the city.

Also I feel like when an option appears for a significant story chain, the game kinds explains the consequences of what might happen before you do it.

Regardless,it has so much replay value.

Top Bottom