• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

770 is definitely not overkill if you want 1080p/60fps. Hell, it might not even be sufficient for upcoming games if you want 60 fps, but who knows? And with that mobo in the second build, Bluetooth 4.0 is integrated, so you should be able to use the DS4 with it. The Biostar doesn't have Bluetooth, so you'd have to pick up a USB adapter of some kind.

i'm running BF4 on ultra with a 770 @ 1080/60. No telling where things will go in the future. But i'm happy so far with it. That being said, mine was an open box. Don't know if the extra $ over the 760 is really work it at retail.

mkenyon

Banned
I run most games at 120fps with a 7970 @ 1200MHz, which is right there with a 770.

It's really easy to judge a PC's performance by a few graphically demanding games, but not necessarily accurate.

Xamdou

How are these specs?

I7-4770 3.4ghz
Corsair Hydro series H60 high performance liquid cooling 120mm radiator & fan.
2TB sata 3 6gbs 64mb cache 7200 rpm hdd
Adata XPG 16GB ddr3/1866mhz dual chan memory
MSI Z87-G41 mobo
650 watts Thermaltake Toughpower TP-650P 80 Plus Gold Ultra quiet PS
MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Gddr5 ram card
24x double layer dvdrw cdrw drive

I plan to play Bioshock Infinite, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls and Starcraft: Legacy of the void.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is there any reason to not pick up these G.SKILL Ripjaws X over my previous pick (which I haven't bought yet), the G.SKILL Ripjaws? The X has faster clocks (which may or may not be negligible in difference really) but also is a few bucks cheaper baseline at the moment with an additional $12 taken off with a promo code.

Mobo the RAM's going with is the BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X, which should be fully compatible with either if I did my research right.

Gonna run my question by again for the new page, though I'm pretty sure i'll be fine.

Building my first PC and i have a question about power supply. I have an FX-4300 and a 560ti ,would a 450w power supply be fine with this or shouldi just get a 500w?

Vice

JUst built my PC. Everything went fine but I can't connect to the internet. My motherboard is an MSi H81m-P33. Ethernet cord is plugged directly into modem and it still won't connect.

kennah

Just a couple of thoughts:
1. The second build is a smaller form factor. I'd much prefer the smaller build. However, it's not critical if I'm losing massive OCing or upgradeability because of it.
2. This build will be used as a console. I'll be couch gaming with it.
3. I know the Green HDD is weak but I'm going to just use it as game storage and move games over to the SSD when appropriate. I also own a 12TB NAS so I'm not hard up on legacy game storage space.
4. Is Bluetooth included or do I have to add something else? I'm hoping to use my Dualshock 4.
5. I just picked whatever case for the standard build. I don't care about a case, so as long as it's quiet and allows me to do good cable management so, again, it's quiet.

Can I get this build down to $800-$900 or so? I've got a month to keep an eye out on deals, price drops, new hardware. Also, is the GTX 770 overkill for what I want to do? Should I downgrade?

Haz, by the way, you've been a huge help. PM me your email and I'll send an Amazon gc your way. kennah, you, too. It's not much but it's the least I can do. Thanks!
Dude, that's really sweet. I'm just happy to help
but will take the money and run

1. GO FOR THE SFF! It won't hold you back in upgrades unless you were planning on SLI or adding a sound card. Tiny computer future! I'm moving all my home stuff to SFF. Very exciting things. Especially if you're using it for a tv console. That Node is so fucking beautiful.
3. Sounds like you know what's what. Awesome.
4. Bluetooth is included on that Gigabyte board in the SFF
5. Cases matter. You gotta look at them day after day. go with the SFF Node.

Money - 800-900 might be a bit of a stretch. You could probably shave 50-100 off, but I'm not sure what there will be for sales in the next month or so.

770 is kinda overkill, ish, or maybe not. Hard to recommend it since it's not much of an increase over the 760. Maybe make your cut there and save $100 now and upgrade sooner to a different card. Pretty much any video card will fit in the node. Get a reference exhaust style instead of a multi fan one if you can?

Building my first PC and i have a question about power supply. I have an FX-4300 and a 560ti ,would a 450w power supply be fine with this or shouldi just get a 500w?
What's your budget? Get the biggest one you can afford. You'd probably be fine. Just make sure to get something reliable and efficient. Seasonic, XFX and Corsair HX are all safe bets. Antec HCG aren't bad either. Anything from the OP
Gonna run my question by again for the new page, though I'm pretty sure i'll be fine.
Totally fine. RAM makes a pretty minimal difference between the speeds. Just get 1.5v or lower.

Just bought this 770. had a $75 gift card. do i have the PC Gaf blessing?
Not a bad deal at all

JUst built my PC. Everything went fine but I can't connect to the internet. My motherboard is an MSi H81m-P33. Ethernet cord is plugged directly into modem and it still won't connect.

Did you install your network card drivers? A CD should have come with your motherboard.

Vice

1. GO FOR THE SFF! It won't hold you back in upgrades unless you were planning on SLI or adding a sound card. Tiny computer future! I'm moving all my home stuff to SFF. Very exciting things. Especially if you're using it for a tv console. That Node is so fucking beautiful.

Money - 800-900 might be a bit of a stretch. You could probably shave 50-100 off, but I'm not sure what there will be for sales in the next month or so.

770 is kinda overkill, ish, or maybe not. Hard to recommend it since it's not much of an increase over the 760. Maybe make your cut there and save $100 now and upgrade sooner to a different card. Pretty much any video card will fit in the node. Get a reference exhaust style instead of a multi fan one if you can?

What's your budget? Get the biggest one you can afford. You'd probably be fine.

Totally fine. RAM makes a pretty minimal difference between the speeds. Just get 1.5v or lower.

Not a bad deal at all

Did you install your network card drivers? A CD should have come with your motherboard.

No disc drive. I'll check the website for them.

kharma45

What's your budget? Get the biggest one you can afford. You'd probably be fine. Just make sure to get something reliable and efficient. Seasonic, XFX and Corsair HX are all safe bets. Antec HCG aren't bad either. Anything from the OP

I like the HCG 620w a lot at the minute. In the USA it's $60 after rebate, hard to beat for a modular Seasonic based unit.

Chris R

If a 2500k is fine will my 3770k should be good for some time yes? Just a new GPU near the end of the year to replace my 670 right? Well that and a modular PSU to clean my shit up.

kennah

Got a window saying "Ethernet controller not found."

Is it disabled in the BIOS? Are you trying to install in Device Manager on 'unknown ethernet adaptor' or something like that.

If a 2500k is fine will my 3770k should be good for some time yes? Just a new GPU near the end of the year to replace my 670 right? Well that and a modular PSU to clean my shit up.

3770K should be good for a long time. I'm expecting my 670 to last me the next three years (my needs are less than most...)

Chris R

3770K should be good for a long time. I'm expecting my 670 to last me the next three years (my needs are less than most...)

I've just now begun to see some slowdown in games I picked up during the steam sale running at 1080p max settings :(

It's going to get worse when I upgrade to 1440p at some point.

Hell my 570 is still doing great in 1080p

I don't anticipate upgrading that until end of 2014 or early to mid 2015 depending on what games and new cards come out.

Vice

Is it disabled in the BIOS? Are you trying to install in Device Manager on 'unknown ethernet adaptor' or something like that.
)

I'm pretty positive it's not disabled in bios. In the control panel under "Other Devices" I have "Ethernet Controller" with a yellow exclamation point next to it.

kennah

I'm pretty positive it's not disabled in bios. In the control panel under "Other Devices" I have "Ethernet Controller" with a yellow exclamation point next to it.
You might need to manually point the driver installation to the directory that the driver was extracted to.

I got an arc midi case, and I am getting 27C--30C at idle cpu temps and no more than 59C while gaming after a few hours. I have six 140mm fans in the case and I'm using a 212 evo. Will adding a second fan to the 212 lower the cpu temps any? Also I'm getting around 63C gpu temps after gaming a long time, then the two fans on my card start sound like a jet engine. Is this temp okay?

Not a bad deal at all

I only wanted to spend about $40 on a power supply. $550~ total cost for the computer. Already have cpu, gpu, case, monitor, keyboard, mouse.

mkenyon

Banned
I got an arc midi case, and I am getting 27C--30C at idle cpu temps and no more than 59C while gaming after a few hours. I have six 140mm fans in the case and I'm using a 212 evo. Will adding a second fan to the 212 lower the cpu temps any? Also I'm getting around 63C gpu temps after gaming a long time, then the two fans on my card start sound like a jet engine. Is this temp okay?
How are your fans currently setup?

Yeah, a second fan in pull would lower CPU temps, but it's not necessary. If you are in the 70s on the CPU, you're golden.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I only wanted to spend about $40 on a power supply. $550~ total cost for the computer. Already have cpu, gpu, case, monitor, keyboard, mouse.
EVGA 500B or VP450. I ran a 2500K and GTX 670 on my VP450 so it's fine.
Good temps, second fan would reduce by around 3C, it's more for lowered noise.

GPU temps can go up to 80C fine, so that's good as well.
Do you see the Ethernet driver installed in Device Manager?
How are these specs?

I7-4770 3.4ghz
Corsair Hydro series H60 high performance liquid cooling 120mm radiator & fan.
2TB sata 3 6gbs 64mb cache 7200 rpm hdd
Adata XPG 16GB ddr3/1866mhz dual chan memory
MSI Z87-G41 mobo
650 watts Thermaltake Toughpower TP-650P 80 Plus Gold Ultra quiet PS
MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Gddr5 ram card
24x double layer dvdrw cdrw drive

I plan to play Bioshock Infinite, Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls and Starcraft: Legacy of the void.
Great

Vice

You might need to manually point the driver installation to the directory that the driver was extracted to.

I'll try that. The network icon is green in the Bios menu, that means it's on correct?

Under other devices there is a section labeled "ethernet controller" Other than that I see nothing else related tot he network.

Great

Awesome, thanks :)

How are your fans currently setup?

Yeah, a second fan in pull would lower CPU temps, but it's not necessary. If you are in the 70s on the CPU, you're golden.

I got two pulling in air in the front, two pulling out at top, one pulling out at back and one pulling in at bottom next to the PSU. But if those temps seem alright, I'll stick with what I got. Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
Well if your fans are going crazy, there's definitely something not right. My instinct says that the game you are playing is rendering at insane speeds (200+ fps). I had that issue in Europa Universalis IV, and it stopped once I put a frame limit of 120 fps.

wilflare

hmm.. my SSD cannot be detected by the BIOS on cold boot ><
took a few restarts before I finally got into Windows >< any idea why

and should I enable Intel Rapid Start on my system?

AJLma

To all of the people out there thinking about building their first PC's, it's worth it! Finished my build last month with a lot of help from this thread.

I feel that one thing that I sort of underestimated going in is the importance of a monitor that outputs a great IQ. I was gaming on this Asus monitor for the last month or so since I completed my build, which is apparently a pretty decent monitor. After failing to find a decent 1080p Plasma TV to game on, I decided to sell my monitor and "settle" for one of these 27" Korean 2560x1440 IPS displays.

I had no idea what I was missing, even at 1080p this thing is leagues better than my ASUS monitor, jumping up to 1440p has breathed new life into a lot of games that I thought I'd never go back to.

If you're going to invest in a gaming PC with an emphasis on graphics(670/7950 or above), I'd say the investment into the monitor is almost as important as the investment into the GPU. From my perspective, going IPS almost feels like a generational leap in IQ.

I haven't tried a 120/144hz LightBoost monitor yet, but I imagine there's a similar feeling. Too bad that it's so hard to get both in a single package.

Well if your fans are going crazy, there's definitely something not right. My instinct says that the game you are playing is rendering at insane speeds (200+ fps). I had that issue in Europa Universalis IV, and it stopped once I put a frame limit of 120 fps.

I will have to check that, the first time I heard the gpu fans going like that was while playing Sleeping Dogs, it doesn't even sound like that after a couple hour BF4 session.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Love the thread title. 2500k going strong here!

Yeah, in April 2009 I built a $600 computer with a AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz and 4GB of RAM and still I get a solid 50 fps from Battlefield 4 at ultra settings (no aa) thanks to simply upgrading my video card to a Radeon HD 7850 a couple years ago. I know upgrading the CPU could help, but both Ram and CPUs are still so overrated for gaming purposes.

Still can't help but covet those brand new fancy cpus though. Hopefully 2014 will be a good year to build a whole new pc.

wilflare

To all of the people out there thinking about building their first PC's, it's worth it! Finished my build last month with a lot of help from this thread.

I feel that one thing that I sort of underestimated going in is the importance of a monitor that outputs a great IQ. I was gaming on this Asus monitor for the last month or so since I completed my build, which is apparently a pretty decent monitor. After failing to find a decent 1080p Plasma TV to game on, I decided to sell my monitor and "settle" for one of these 27" Korean 2560x1440 IPS displays.

I had no idea what I was missing, even at 1080p this thing is leagues better than my ASUS monitor, jumping up to 1440p has breathed new life into a lot of games that I thought I'd never go back to.

If you're going to invest in a gaming PC with an emphasis on graphics(670/7950 or above), I'd say the investment into the monitor is almost as important as the investment into the GPU. From my perspective, going IPS almost feels like a generational leap in IQ.

I haven't tried a 120/144hz LightBoost monitor yet, but I imagine there's a similar feeling. Too bad that it's so hard to get both in a single package.

I was under the impression that the Korean monitors can't display any res under 1440p... so does it display 1080p but stretches to fit the 1440?

Great
ordered the vp-450!

BPoole

So I want to buy an R9 290 but seeing as the prices are inflated nearly $200 with no drop in sight, I'm starting to consider other options. I currently run 6950s in cfx on a 1440p monitor. Would a 4GB 770 even be worth the upgrade? I don't want to spend more than $450, and my only other option would be the 780, which is more than I want to pay.

Well it's finally time, I'm building my first PC! I'm in Canada.

CPU : i7 4770k - 350$
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H -185$
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport : 8GB - 80$
GPU : GTX 770 - 350$
SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - 200$
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB - 70$
Power Supply : SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W Gold - 100$
Case : Corsair Carbide Series 500R - 130$
Optical Drive : SATA DVD burner - 20$
Heatsink : 212 Evo - 35$

TOTAL - 1 520$

How is this? If I want to lower the price towards the 1000$ range, which downgrades should I go with? I have quite limited knowledge when it comes to PC building/parts.

Hurley

So I'm almost done with my build, but the main parts I'm getting are -

i7 4770K
ASUS Maximus VI Hero Mobo
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz 1.5V
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB
CoolerMaster V850 Power Supply
Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate case

Look good?

Just deciding on SSD, Keyboard and monitor now.

I already have a mouse, ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard (Still a good card I assume?) and a 1TB hard drive.

Durante

I was under the impression that the Korean monitors can't display any res under 1440p... so does it display 1080p but stretches to fit the 1440?
The GPU can scale pretty much anything to 1440p. It's only an issue if you want to use a non-PC input.

Katyusha

Well, just ordered that clip-on micfrom DX that's in the OP. Despite it being only $3, I expect it to sound similar to the mic on my Plantronics Gamecom 780 headset.

And that also means I can stop using that headset for good.

timnich

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes...
My wireless router just died, and I need to get a new one asap. I don't want to spend too much on it, but I don't really know what a good router goes for. So I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

asdad123

Well it's finally time, I'm building my first PC! I'm in Canada.

CPU : i7 4770k - 350$
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H -185$
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport : 8GB - 80$
GPU : GTX 770 - 350$
SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - 200$
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB - 70$
Power Supply : SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W Gold - 100$
Case : Corsair Carbide Series 500R - 130$
Optical Drive : SATA DVD burner - 20$
Heatsink : 212 Evo - 35$

TOTAL - 1 520$

How is this? If I want to lower the price towards the 1000$ range, which downgrades should I go with? I have quite limited knowledge when it comes to PC building/parts.

You can possibly go with the 4670k instead of the 4770k and try to find some of the stuff on sale.

For example, the Samsung evo you're looking at was just on sale for $140 this afternoon (buy.com via ebay. Should've been able to ship to Canada)

Got a few more questions guys!

Im going to need a wifi adapter for my pc since im way out of ethernet cord distance from my place's router. Any good cheap choices?

For gaming, is 4gb of ram still enough? Also, is saving money on harddrive capacity by just buying a 500gb harddrive an okay idea? I know i wont get close to filling it up but who knows that could change.

Thanks guys, y'all are really helpful :)

Xdrive05

I have an overclocked Athlon X2 3800+ in an Asrock socket 939 dual sata 2 mobo with a Geforce 8600gts and a 1600x1200 monitor, and I'd like to breathe some new life into it. First of all, are there ANY modern games that an older gen dual core AMD could run? And if so, what would be an appropriate modern budget GPU that would not be too bottlenecked by that CPU? I'm assuming it would be entry level, if not passively cooled. Heh.

Or is this board just too old to even bother for gaming? I want to do SOMETHING with it...

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but here goes...
My wireless router just died, and I need to get a new one asap. I don't want to spend too much on it, but I don't really know what a good router goes for. So I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
the Asus routers have gotten rave reviews but they are pricey as hell
I'm still using the Linksys E1550
i really like the linksys. i do very little downloading, minor netflix and a decent amount of gaming and this thing works just fine. i also live in a smaller home so you might want to think about range

timnich

Got a few more questions guys!

Im going to need a wifi adapter for my pc since im way out of ethernet cord distance from my place's router. Any good cheap choices?

For gaming, is 4gb of ram still enough? Also, is saving money on harddrive capacity by just buying a 500gb harddrive an okay idea? I know i wont get close to filling it up but who knows that could change.

Thanks guys, y'all are really helpful :)
i was in the same situation as you regarding the wifi adapter. I went through a few and they were all crap. A few months ago I bought a powerline starter kit for $50 and honestly, this is the way to go. It's fast and reliable, have had zero issues with it.

AJLma

That would explain this then. I've noticed in 1 or 2 games that playing below 1440P results in a centered, non-stretched image. Other games have no problem natively scaling. I knew that I could override this with GPU software scaling, but it hasn't mattered since 1440p on lower settings is still better than ultra on 1080p. Being able to see the finer details in game textures without the details fading in and out is pretty remarkable. It's like how Dark Souls PC exploded when people found out how gorgeous the assets in that game actually are at high res. Now apply that to PC games that have been around for years with High Res texture packs and such. Sleeping Dogs @ 1440p looks unbelievable.

The most interesting and useful thing I've found is that, on a 27 inch at least, MSAA has almost no noticeable effect on IQ until it's pumped up to 8X. At this res FXAA has actually been the more useful form of AA, and it's pretty much a 0 performance hit on my machine. So all the frames lost at 1080P rendering MSAA basically make up the performance difference minus 10% or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom