• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayvo

Not sure if this is allowed, if not, then please delete. But I just wanted to mention that I have pretty powerful PC that I'm selling in the B/S/T thread here.

See my post here

This is everything that it comes with, including monitor, keyboard and mouse.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: PNY CS1111 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($80.75 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($552.98 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($552.98 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($79.29 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420G 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($529.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2937.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-10 18:42 EDT-0400

Embearded

Hey guys, i need your help in order to choose a GPU.

My current system is:

FX8350 with Hyper 212 EVO, push-pull on it.
8GB 1866MHz G.Skill RAM.
MSI HD7870 OC.
OZX 650W PSU.

I'm sorry i don't remember any more detail, its been almost 2 years since i built it.
Anyway, i am between SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 380 4G and R9 280X Vapor X.
I am playing on 1080p only and there is no chance to play with a better resolution for the next years.

I don't know if i need more power or more VRAM for 1080p gaming.

Looking at all the interesting discussion on Asus Z170-A vs Asus Z170-Pro Gaming, I realized I actually don't have much options for the Pro Gaming anyway in Canada lol.

Looking at the Asus mobo comparison, it makes it look like the Pro Gaming has less than the Z170-A.

Vuze

So ever since I upgraded to my 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor - effectively pushing my 970 to 100% in any modern 3D game constantly - I witness some crashes from time to time. At first I thought it was an issue with one specific game but it happens in GTAV, Tomb Raider, Spec Ops, Arkham knight... It's exclusive to gaming and it's either a "Game has stopped working" with a image freeze and no sound playing or a complete lock up of the PC with image freeze and looping sound of the last few seconds (need to hold down power button to shutdown the PC).

I read this is most likely caused by the overclock of the card. I own the MSI Gaming 970, so it's overclocked out of the box. I've never messed with overclocking / underclocking so how would I go about this? I know MSI Afterburner can do it and I've seen what looks like clock speed profiles in Nvidia inspector too.

Anything to watch out for? I hope I can get rid of this issue this way it's super annoying :(

I also thought my PSU could be the culprit but 450w (be quiet silver) should be enough for my i5 4570 / 970 combo eh?

RGM79

Hey guys, i need your help in order to choose a GPU.

My current system is:

FX8350 with Hyper 212 EVO, push-pull on it.
8GB 1866MHz G.Skill RAM.
MSI HD7870 OC.
OZX 650W PSU.

I'm sorry i don't remember any more detail, its been almost 2 years since i built it.
Anyway, i am between SAPPHIRE NITRO R9 380 4G and R9 280X Vapor X.
I am playing on 1080p only and there is no chance to play with a better resolution for the next years.

I don't know if i need more power or more VRAM for 1080p gaming.

What country are you in and what is your budget? If you're interested, currently Nvidia has a promotion where GTX 960 and better cards come with a free redeemable code for MGSV:TPP. The GTX 960 is roughly on par with the R9 380, so it's worth a look at.

For 1080p gaming, as long as the graphics card has 3GB of VRAM or more, you should be set for the next few years, no worries yet about VRAM bottlenecking.

Performance varies according to what kind of tests you run and what use case and scenario you have, as well as your daily use.

Depending on what you'll be doing with the PC, you could stand to benefit from higher speed DDR4 RAM. It seems to be that 2133MHz and 2400MHz are not really recommended. Here, take a look at these links:

Gamestar.de game benchmarks on memory speed
HardOCP overclocking memory scaling tests
Guru3D i7 6700K review memory testing
Legit Reviews' DDR4 memory benchmarking
jws31z5.jpg

Can I have a combination of higher speed dddr4? Like 16 gigs of 2400 and 16 gigs of higher? Or should I just return the 16 gigs 2400 I got?

knitoe

So ever since I upgraded to my 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor - effectively pushing my 970 to 100% in any modern 3D game constantly - I witness some crashes from time to time. At first I thought it was an issue with one specific game but it happens in GTAV, Tomb Raider, Spec Ops, Arkham knight... It's exclusive to gaming and it's either a "Game has stopped working" with a image freeze and no sound playing or a complete lock up of the PC with image freeze and looping sound of the last few seconds (need to hold down power button to shutdown the PC).

I read this is most likely caused by the overclock of the card. I own the MSI Gaming 970, so it's overclocked out of the box. I've never messed with overclocking / underclocking so how would I go about this? I know MSI Afterburner can do it and I've seen what looks like clock speed profiles in Nvidia inspector too.

Anything to watch out for? I hope I can get rid of this issue this way it's super annoying :(

I also thought my PSU could be the culprit but 450w (be quiet silver) should be enough for my i5 4570 / 970 combo eh?

First, find out what the stock speeds of a 970. To underclock in MSI Afterburner, just move the Core & Memory Clock sliders to the left and click apply. You can also manually enter a number in the boxes to the right of the sliders then apply.

A good 450w PSU should be enough. Personally, I have always recommend people leave plenty of room by going to a much more powerful PSU. Because, PSUs can degrade overtime, and if they upgrade to more power hungry hardware, it won't be an issue.
Can I have a combination of higher speed dddr4? Like 16 gigs of 2400 and 16 gigs of higher? Or should I just return the 16 gigs 2400 I got?
Return them. Otherwise, you will have to run at the slowest ram settings.

Evo X

Now I know why you own a Porsche.

just kidding

lol. Smokey and I are just fucking with each other. I didn't cancel the 850 Pro.

Like I said earlier, if something can justify it's price, I will think about it. If not, whatever. I'm not nearly rich enough to buy shit for the hell of it just to show off. There's some crazy PC builds over at OCN, and I'm not about to get into a rat race to try and compete with everyone.

Still, dem speeds tho

37e5db17_crystal20disk20mark20SM2095120nvme.jpeg

1687651a4b41b80dc8.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member
Will make new thread when I get back from work today, suggestions on thread titles?

Probably going back to having 2500K in it again.
Also a good time to mention part/peripheral updates as well.

I've got the perfect one:

From Skyrim to Skylake, It's Been a Long Ride... 2500K Keeps on Truckin'

(personally I was using a 2600k when skyrim came out and I'm still sticking with mine even though skylake is out)

Kintaco

Question, just setup my motherboard and CPU (MSI Gaming 7 Z97 and i7 4790k), do I need to install the drivers for the motherboard (chipset drivers, sata, audio, etc)?

I, too, naively purchased slower DDR4 RAM (2133). Just how big a deal is this for gaming? If I return it, I have to pay ~$4 for shipping back to Amazon.

(And, could I theoretically just overclock the RAM? Probably not...)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I, too, naively purchased slower DDR4 RAM (2133). Just how big a deal is this for gaming? If I return it, I have to pay ~$4 for shipping back to Amazon.

It's' worth it to pay the $4 and have faster ram for skylake. You've already come with far :)

knitoe

SkylakeDDR4_Watch_dogs.jpg

Your chances of OC from 2133 to 3000mhz are slim. Worth it to return them.

Also two questions: do I need a wireless network card, or is that covered somehow in the build? And if I have a liquid CPU Cooler, is there any point to getting a case fan?

LilJoka

Geez, that's a freaking huge difference for a component that isn't a video card or CPU. Did clock speed matter this much with DDR3?

Probably if you compared 1333mhz cas9 vs 1866mhz cas10. If you haven't noticed, the photo compares some of the slowest DDR4 against fastest. There will be diminishing returns at some point, just not a coarse comparison here as we have seen with DDR3.

Probably if you compared 1333mhz cas9 vs 1866mhz cas10. If you haven't noticed, the photo compares some of the slowest DDR4 against fastest. There will be diminishing returns at some point, just not a coarse comparison here as we have seen with DDR3.

Mmm. I think I'm going to keep the RAM I have now and then replace it at some point down the road when DDR4 prices (particularly for the higher clock speeds) aren't quite as crazy. Maybe I'll do it whenever I get around to buying an SSD.

Hello, I need help with the following build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Memory: Kingston Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($144.45 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-10 19:52 EDT-0400

Too help put in context what I'm planning with the build, I mainly play not very demanding games like strategy, indies, fighting games etc. The price is a my biggest concern because I live in Brazil and the price of the parts are kind of high considering my incoming.

Izayoi

Banned
NCIXUS will let you pre-order the i7-6700k now, just so everyone is aware. It still appears to be unavailable at Amazon and newegg.

Mothman91

I remember back then I was looking into a new PC and saw that the gtx 970 had a code for the new Batman game. I wasn't very interested, but still, it was a small incentive to go with that. I never got an email, and today I talked to a nvidia spokeswoman and tried to get a code for MGSV instead.

"Shailendra: I checked this information and I am sorry to inform you that the Batman Arkham Knight game code promotion was over on 15 July 2015 and the new game code promotion for Metal Gear started from 23 July 2015, as you have purchased this graphics card on 17 July 2015 you are not eligible for any of these game promotion, I am sorry for this unfortunate situation. "

Copied straight from chat, kind of blown about it honestly. Anyone know any tips to pry a code out of them?

ricki42

I was looking at those too (just out of curiousity).
Do you think the heatspreaders would be low enough to fit under something like a NH-D14?

I have Corsair Vengeance Pro (seems to be similar height) under a NH-D14. I mounted the outside fan a bit higher, maybe 0.5-1cm. Looks a bit stupid, but since I have enough space in the case, it's not a problem.

Evo X

Alright, I've decided to go with the X99 platform. Figure it will be marginally slower than Skylake in some games, but will demolish it in any game or application that supports proper multi threading.

Now, which motherboard to get?

I was pretty set on getting an ASUS, but I've heard reports that they have issues where they will fry your cpu by randomly setting it to 1.8V upon reboot.

Don't need built in wifi. Just good looks and solid overclocking performance & stability. USB 3.1 and Type-C support would be a plus.

Anyone have any recommendations for a $2300 budget build. Been saving up awhile now and I'm excited to get back into the building game after 6.5years.

I'd like to get a gsync monitor but ig there arr better ones coming out soon, I can just focus it all on the PC.

Quotient

Alright, I've decided to go with the X99 platform. Figure it will be marginally slower than Skylake in some games, but will demolish it in any game or application that supports proper multi threading.

I didn't think the chipset would have any impact on the multi-threading.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Did some further tweaking to my order. Happy with what I have but it's kind of moot right now since I won't pull the trigger until CPU is actually available and not just preorderable from one site. Plus the fact that the RAM I want isn't in stock right now either. So hopefully both those become actually available in the next week or two and some better rebates and deals pop up, but I doubt that will happen.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/szhKmG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/szhKmG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.51 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($274.63 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.95 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones ($150.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1482.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-10 22:24 EDT-0400

RGM79

Also two questions: do I need a wireless network card, or is that covered somehow in the build? And if I have a liquid CPU Cooler, is there any point to getting a case fan?

Wifi isn't covered unless you switch to a motherboard that has wifi built in or add a wifi adaptor to your parts list.

I don't recommend the Corsair H55 as it's not very good, especially for $60. The Cooler Master 212 Evo is cheaper and more effective. However, since it won't fit in that case and you're not overclocking anyway, you could just skip getting an aftermarket cooler altogether and just use the bundled stock cooler.

Case fan isn't absolutely required either, none of your parts will be running that hot. You can assemble the system as is, and then if it turns out to run too warm for your taste, then add a fan. Adding a fan afterward is quite easy.

I was looking at those too (just out of curiousity).
Do you think the heatspreaders would be low enough to fit under something like a NH-D14?

Ripjaws V is 42mm tall. Noctua NH-D14 allows RAM modules up to 44mm in height.

I remember back then I was looking into a new PC and saw that the gtx 970 had a code for the new Batman game. I wasn't very interested, but still, it was a small incentive to go with that. I never got an email, and today I talked to a nvidia spokeswoman and tried to get a code for MGSV instead.

"Shailendra: I checked this information and I am sorry to inform you that the Batman Arkham Knight game code promotion was over on 15 July 2015 and the new game code promotion for Metal Gear started from 23 July 2015, as you have purchased this graphics card on 17 July 2015 you are not eligible for any of these game promotion, I am sorry for this unfortunate situation. "

Copied straight from chat, kind of blown about it honestly. Anyone know any tips to pry a code out of them?
Unfortunately, it seems extremely clear. I don't see how you're going to be able to claim they owe you a code when you bought the graphics card after the first promotion ended and before the next one started.

I'm getting the NH-D15 myself. I'm thinking not. I'll probably have to take off the one fan.

You can slide the fan upward as long as there's room in your case.

Is pre-ordering for a cheaper price a thing for PC parts?

I just went for the i7-6700k pre-order at $460 CAD saying it is a saving of $50 from the MSRP of $511.

Who the hell told you that Canadian MSRP was $511? The American MSRP is $350 USD which is roughly equal to $458 CAD. I put down an order for my i7 6700K at $460 CAD before tax.

So, I just built myself my first computer(here is a link if you must know the specs) and was delighted to see that I didn't fuck it up so bad that it actually turns on and everything. However, now I need to install my OS and I'm having problems. I picked up a windows 10 64 bit home version disc, but when I try to install windows(apparently i need to do this before updating drivers and what not) and boot from the dvd drive, all I get is the windows symbol on the screen for like a minute or two and it restarts, eventually just showing the windows symbol again. Only way to stop it seems to be opening the bios menu... which doesn't really help.

Am I missing a step here? Or did fuck up something else? Any ideas?

Evo X

Never used an ASRock motherboard before, but from extensive research, it seems to be the most stable one for X99.

This is the one I chose btw. Anyone else run their boards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157598

I'm thinking about buying a GTX 970 to replace my GTX 760 that I'm selling to my younger cousin (you may have seen the post a few pages back by my cousin).
I was thinking about getting the Gigabyte G1 but I wanted opinions on which one is the most recommended?

My goal is to play modern games at 1080p stable 60fps on ultra or high settings. This is my current build if you needed more information.

The Gigabyte G1 is great. Fast, cool, and quite because of that 3 fan design.

You will have no problems playing games at high settings 1080P.

DTKT

Hey guys,

Has anyone any experience with Korean/Chinese "cheap" IPS monitors. I recently acquired from a friend a two years old 27 inch FSM-270YG for 150$. It's about half the market rate for a new monitor. There are some slight issues that I hope someone with more experience with these kind of monitors can help.

The screen tends to flicker a bit from time to time. Like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IfzYzKWLko It's much less frequent and doesn't seem to shift the entire screen but it's there. My friend mentions that he had the issue too.

Second is that there seem to be white pixels flashing all over the screen when there is a black background. It's super quick and is probably always there but very hard to notice.

Now, does that mean that the monitor is close to death? I know that the boards are usually cheap and I don't really want to spend 150$, which I could save a buy some pretty good 22''/24''.

Any tips?

jwhit28

Never used an ASRock motherboard before, but from extensive research, it seems to be the most stable one for X99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157598

The Gigabyte G1 is great. Fast, cool, and quite because of that 3 fan design.

You will have no problems playing games at high settings 1080P.

I've had an Asrock AM3 board for 6 years that still works fine and just got an Asrock Z97 board that works perfect. It was dead simple to jump into the BIOS and take my 4690k to 4.5GHz as well.

Vuze

I do, though it's a measley B85 board :p Haven't had any issues with it so far in two years. UEFI looks a bit bleh and could use some more structure imo but apart from that...

First, find out what the stock speeds of a 970. To underclock in MSI Afterburner, just move the Core & Memory Clock sliders to the left and click apply. You can also manually enter a number in the boxes to the right of the sliders then apply.

A good 450w PSU should be enough. Personally, I have always recommend people leave plenty of room by going to a much more powerful PSU. Because, PSUs can degrade overtime, and if they upgrade to more power hungry hardware, it won't be an issue.

Return them. Otherwise, you will have to run at the slowest ram settings.
Thanks, I'll try to downclock the card later today!

I need a 1080p gaming monitor.

Hopefully 24 inches, and less than 5ms response time.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep it less than $200. Hopefully between $150 and $180.

I'm cool with 60hz.

I'm mainly looking at Asus because I've had a good history with them.

I am open to brands besides Asus, but they have 3 year warranties. Also, my current Asus has been rocking for about 10 years, and my "new" LG blew out after 18 months.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm building my dad a new PC later today. Can't wait! It's nothing too crazy (I didn't even get him a GPU) but it's a pretty awesome computer for a grandpa facebook user who occasionally works with Photoshop and some fractal-generation programs. He was going to buy an Apple or something pre-built and I had to step in and keep him from spending so much for so little.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9tXnvK
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9tXnvK/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $596.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-11 04:06 EDT-0400

mrklaw

MrArseFace
;_;

It's still not too late, I can change! Give me another chance.

brb. Cancelling my 850 Pro order and getting dat M.2 hotness.

Don't cancel the 850 pro. Just get a 120/250GB m2 for Windows and apps, and keep the 1TB for games. I bought a 1TB 850 in the Amazon prime day sale and it's great (already had a smaller SSD for Windows)

Or if that is expensive, get a 120/250 m2, and a 1TB HDD for now and swap over later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom