• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
OK, so this is where I´m at right now:

Going for something white, black and gold.

XoZfGGq.png

Still need a CPU - is there a reason NOT to go with the most expensive one?

PSU - Modular, since I want to use custom cables, and quiet. Should be able to handle two 1080s.

HDD - just tell me what to get.

SSD - is there a plain black or white one?

Still looking for ram that would match the golden highlighs of the ASUS board. Might go with dominator ram since it seems to be easy to paint. How much do I need and how fast should it be? Looking to fill out all four slots for looks.

daninthemix

Two questions:

- My computer has been crashing this past week periodically while gaming. It did it once mid-game and then upon rebooting it would do it rapidly right when starting games. I thought maybe my external drive was dying since that's where I have Steam and all my games and upon reboots it wasn't coming back up. I swapped the USB port while trying things and it worked fine. But it just crashed again. The drive is quite full so I'm not sure if maybe it has to do with being nearly at capacity since I rarely get drives that full. Could this be a dying drive or is there something else that could cause a computer that's been solid for nine months or so to suddenly crash repeatedly when trying to play games?

- Secondly, I have an internal 1TB drive I added when I build this PC awhile back and it has never been recognized by the computer in terms of showing as available. I often forget I even installed it but I've checked the cables and everything seems fine. I grabbed HWinfo in the OP of this thread to check temperatures (everything seems to be around 35-45c which I would assume is fine?) but strangely I see the 1TB drive listed! What gives? How come this program picks it up and lists it but it doesn't show anywhere else? When adding new internal drives do I need to enable it for some reason in Bios or something? This makes no sense.

Anyhow, any tips would be good. I don't have that large of a SSD but I may move over a couple games that have crashed onto that and see if they still crash. If I get that 1TB to finally function I could move over quite a few to there, too.

Edit: It had crashed in Guild Wars 2, I write this message, restart Guild Wars 2, and at what was the end of it loading into the world it crashed again and rebooted my computer. It tends to always happen after initial loading into a game past the opening menus. Not sure if it's simply needing to take a minute to crash or the act of it trying to load is doing it in or something else.

Any sort of overclock on CPU / memory? Or manual voltage setting?

An overclock / voltage setting can be 99% stable, such that you only ever see a crash occasionally. You can go for months without problems then get two BSODS in two weeks.

Just throwing that out there.

Zeneric

I have an internal 1TB drive I added when I build this PC awhile back and it has never been recognized by the computer in terms of showing as available. I often forget I even installed it but I've checked the cables and everything seems fine. I grabbed HWinfo in the OP of this thread to check temperatures (everything seems to be around 35-45c which I would assume is fine?) but strangely I see the 1TB drive listed! What gives? How come this program picks it up and lists it but it doesn't show anywhere else? When adding new internal drives do I need to enable it for some reason in Bios or something? This makes no sense.

Do this:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

Then click "Disk Management" on the left side of the Computer Management screen. You should see your 1TB drive there. Format the drive and add a drive letter to it (right click on the drive there).

In the start menu search partition
Should see something like create and format drive partitions.
Open that, right click the 1TB disk and format it.

I actually just started realizing this when I was poking around in some of the system stuff. I guess I'm just really surprised that a new drive requires formatting since I don't recall having to do that with past drives but I generally have always just had a small internal Windows drive and then plug in an external and from what I recall those are pre-formatted?

So yeah, now I have a 1TB drive to use. Now to figure out the crashing issue.

Thanks!

Any sort of overclock on CPU / memory? Or manual voltage setting?

An overclock / voltage setting can be 99% stable, such that you only ever see a crash occasionally. You can go for months without problems then get two BSODS in two weeks.

Just throwing that out there.

Nope, everything is just stock as I built it. Haven't done any overclocking or whatever.

It's been solid until these past few days when it's started crashing frequently, but not all the time. After my silly fix of simply swapping the USB port I've played hours of the same games that were causing the crashes with no hitch. But now it's doing it again. It's happened on two different games so it's not a specific game causing the crash.

Zeneric

PSU - Modular, since I want to use custom cables, and quiet. Should be able to handle two 1080s.

Still looking for ram that would match the golden highlighs of the ASUS board. Might go with dominator ram since it seems to be easy to paint. How much do I need and how fast should it be? Looking to fill out all four slots for looks.

Most of Samsung SSDs are darkish grey/black. Because your motherboard supports M.2 I would go for M.2 SSDs instead of SATA6 SSDs (suggesting just in case).

Fenom

... that 1.35V Samsung RAM is among the fastest DDR3 there is. Stuff overclocks like crazy. I had mine running at 2400 in a Z77 board. Do you still have it? It's pretty valuable.

I commented two pages ago about this samsung ram, i currently have 2x 4gb sticks. Is it really still valuable? I'm looking at selling mine and can't see much online about it
recently. Based in the UK if it makes any difference.

I have the Noctua U14S (that's the slim one, right?) plus two matching Noctua case fans (I believe all three fans are identical).

I have all three setup to spin at the minimum speed (less than 300RPM) until the CPU hits 50 degrees C.

Unless I'm playing games, my system is completely inaudible. I'm not exaggerating - my wife cannot tell whether my PC is turned on or not when she's in the room.

I like this sound (or lack of sound... this analogy isn't working) of this!

Yeah, the U14S is the smaller one with only one fan. The D15 is the bigger one with two fans.

"I have all three setup to spin at the minimum speed (less than 300RPM) until the CPU hits 50 degrees C."

Did you set that up using the BIOS / software, or just with a physical fan controller?

daninthemix

I like this sound (or lack of sound... this analogy isn't working) of this!

Yeah, the U14S is the smaller one with only one fan. The D15 is the bigger one with two fans.

"I have all three setup to spin at the minimum speed (less than 300RPM) until the CPU hits 50 degrees C."

Did you set that up using the BIOS / software, or just with a physical fan controller?

Setup in the BIOS - I got very lucky because without researching it, the Asus Z170A board I bought has supremely extensive fan controls.

EDIT: since I said my system was completely silent - and it is - I should also mention the other components, because they contribute (or rather don't contribute any noise):

EVGA Supernova P2 650W 80 Plus Platinum (fanless until it gets hot)
Fractal Design Define R5 (soundproof lining in the side panels)
MSI GTX970 Gaming (is fanless until 60 degrees)

kennah

I commented two pages ago about this samsung ram, i currently have 2x 4gb sticks. Is it really still valuable? I'm looking at selling mine and can't see much online about it
recently. Based in the UK if it makes any difference.

Now that DDR4 is available and so cheap it's value has definitely gone down, but it's still rare and sought after so it is slightly more valuable than DDR3 of the same type.

NOKYARD

OK, so this is where I´m at right now:

XoZfGGq.png

Protip.

Copy and paste either the "Permalink: " or the "Markup: [BB] " into your post instead of posting a screenshot.

It allows us to see additional details of your build on pcpartpicker.com including the total Wattage requirements.

Momentary

Banned
New X99 boards releasing soon. ASUS has the product pages up for their offerings.

LIAN LI is also releasing white variants of their PCO5 and PCO7... and they are STILL not offering a second riser card for their ATX version. Pretty ridiculous considering the price of it and how hard it is to find that riser in stock.

I'm not buying the 1080, but I've started my collecting parts for my PC build for when the Ti/Titan hits. Just bought custom sleeved cables from EnSource. I should have them in by the end of the month. I did some research and they seem to be the best out there, but they were pretty damn expensive. I would probably get laughed at here for what I paid. Hopefully they turn out looking great. I went with a Black/colonial blue/burnt orange combination.

This is not what the colors truly look like. You'll have to got to the page to see the actual sleeving colors.

The hardware will be all black and dark Nickel/Nickel. I'll be using clear tubing with Mayhem Black coolant. I wanted the cables to have some pop to them so as not to be lost in the darkness. The PCO7SW should help with the black interior and white exterior.

I already have a 256GB PCIE M.2 ssd for the OS and other programs. I'm not going with a mechanicely drive. I feel a 2 TB evo SSD will be in the high 400's or low 500's by the time the big daddy GPU'S are released.

The mobo as of yesterday looks to be the STRIKER X99. It will come without logos and be pretty much blacked out. The logos in the picture have to be applied to the board.

I'm also going with the EVGA 1000 T2 PSU to SLI the cards and power the loop. I'm praying that the high end GPUs dont require anything above a set of 8+6 connectors or I'm going to be out even more money.

As for thexample water loop I'm doing hard tubing without bends and using nothing but fittings for all my angles. It's more expensive, but I REALLY don't feel like fooling with bending. I'm pretty lost in this area. Especially on figuring out on how to create a drain for the loop. All I know is that fittings usually end up being the most expensive part of a build.

I'm thinking about using a 21:9 PG348Q monitor to supplement the ROG Swift I have now so I can enjoy both TATE shmup action and wide screen gaming. The PG348Q is my most unformfortable part of this build since I already have a good monitor. Hopefully it goes down in price by build time.

For RAM I'my thinking of 64gb of 2666/3000 and for the CPU I'll got for the 8 core Broadwell-E. This would help me out with my job since I use test VMs for cyber forensics.

This is my first high end build ever, so if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to help me out. I'm not one to frequent PC enthusiast boards, so if there are some bad ass videos out there that will help, please share. I've been looking at a good bit of Jayztwocents and he seems pretty damn helpful. I don't know anything other than that sans tech review channels.

Thanks

GlamFM

Banned
Protip.

Copy and paste either the "Permalink: " or the "Markup: [BB] " into your post instead of posting a screenshot.

It allows us to see additional details of your build on pcpartpicker.com including the total Wattage requirements.

Thank you, there you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€157.84 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€115.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€89.41 @ Mindfactory)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (€87.83 @ Mindfactory)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)
Total: €450.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-11 17:57 CEST+0200

My questions still stand:

SSD - is the one I picked OK?

EDIT: GPU will be a GTX 1080 once it´s available.

ACE 1991

After my impulse 980ti purchase yesterday ($375 was hard to say no to), I'm thinking it might be time to jump to 1440p as 1080p is a bit overkill now and probably for at least a few years with this card. What are considered the best budget 1440p monitors?

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
I'm planning on building a entry gaming pc and have a few questions if you peeps could help me!
How much ram should I have? 2x4gb? 1x8?
Also what graphics cards brands are good? Or is it more on looks?
And should I get a SSD? I've heard it's good for startup and the OS but I'm not sure why?
I'm planning on getting an i3-6100 CPU. But That's as far as I've gotten though. Do motherboards matter much for a beginner build?
And where should most of my money be going into or where should I spend extra? ($500-750)
Thanks all!

LordAlu

I'm planning on building a entry gaming pc and have a few questions if you peeps could help me!
And should I get a SSD? I've heard it's good for startup and the OS but I'm not sure why?
I'm planning on getting an i3-6100 CPU. But That's as far as I've gotten though. Do motherboards matter much for a beginner build?
And where should most of my money be going into or where should I spend extra? ($500-750)
Thanks all!

Does the i3-6100 come with a cooling fan...? I'm new at this.
Your best bet is to fill out the questionnaire in the OP and post it here - we can recommend stuff based on that and explain the choices to you too if you like.

Thanks all!

2x4 GB sticks is ok if you can't manage 2x8 GB. If you get a motherboard with 4 dimm slots you can easily double up later.

For GPUs, you should try to avoid the cheapest designs, they usually have poor cooling performance and might have skimped on quality components, which means there's a big chance they'll fail soon after warranty. Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, EVGA, Sapphire are all good.

SSD is perhaps the most important component for every day use. They don't cost that much these days, so 128 GB or 256 GB SSD is a no-brainer.

Since you are getting an i3-6100 you could settle with a H110/H170/B150 series motherboard. H110 only has 2 dimm slots so I don't recommend those, but any H170/B150 board should be sufficient. It's up to you whether you want specific features, or get a more expensive Z170-board if you are planning on upgrading your CPU later on.

If gaming is what you're mostly concerned about, GPU is by far the most important component. Also, don't forget to get a quality power supply, that's not a component you want to skimp on.

Im looking at this bundle for a start to my first build. Its a i7 6700k and MSI Z170A-G45, anyone have any input on this motherboard? I want something that is pretty good, but not top of line. I don't need to spend $200+ on a mobo.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

My girlfriend is building a computer, and picking a motherboard is causing issues. I always find it to be the most difficult and stressful part, since there are inevitably a plethora of "1 star, DOA" reviews to discourage you. She has an i5 so LGA 1151, 4 RAM slots (DDR4 ideally) would probably be best, looking for under $200 and preferably around $150. We don't need any fancy features, the main concern is always reliability. Getting a board that's DOA or dies in months has never happened to me, but it can happen to anyone and I still want to minimize that risk as much as possible. What should we look for?

Vuze

That's one damn nice looking case. Unfortunately way beyond what I'd ever plan on spending for a chassis haha.
Make sure to post pics once you're building!

As for high end enthusiast stuff, I really only know Jayz as well... the folks at overclock.net are super helpful though. Been debating on and off whether I should get a CPU AIO for the past weeks and they certainly helped as to which models I'm not going to buy :D

_BtB_

Sorry, thought I listed that. CPU is i5 3470, case is NZXT Source 210.

Yeah, it only started doing it these past few months. It wasn't that bad at first (occasionally one core would peep above 70 when doing heavy rendering) and thought it was due to my poorly ventilated apartment, but I'm in a more modern apartment now and it's worse than ever.

not sure what cpu fan is better now, but I do know that the "cooler master hyper 212 evo" was great performance for the price. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

I believe it will fit in your case with room to spare.

_BtB_

Im looking at this bundle for a start to my first build. Its a i7 6700k and MSI Z170A-G45, anyone have any input on this motherboard? I want something that is pretty good, but not top of line. I don't need to spend $200+ on a mobo.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I looked at newegg and read some of the comments, it appears this is a nice $169 motherboard. It has a lot of features and what not, I just do not know how it handles overclocking if you were planning to do that. The only problems I read were "failure to come out of sleep mode" and "some motherboards arrived DOA".

But MSI might be able to help you if you have a problem with the sleep issue and the DOA problem is not that big seeing as all motherboard companies have a few duds here and there.

ACE 1991

So do you guys think G-sync is worth the price premium it currently demands, or am I better off getting a nice (and several hundred dollars cheaper) standard 1440p monitor? Running a 980ti and 6600K.

LilJoka

I looked at newegg and read some of the comments, it appears this is a nice $169 motherboard. It has a lot of features and what not, I just do not know how it handles overclocking if you were planning to do that. The only problems I read were "failure to come out of sleep mode" and "some motherboards arrived DOA".

But MSI might be able to help you if you have a problem with the sleep issue and the DOA problem is not that big seeing as all motherboard companies have a few duds here and there.

There are always some components that arrive DOA.

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
2x4 GB sticks is ok if you can't manage 2x8 GB. If you get a motherboard with 4 dimm slots you can easily double up later.

For GPUs, you should try to avoid the cheapest designs, they usually have poor cooling performance and might have skimped on quality components, which means there's a big chance they'll fail soon after warranty. Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, EVGA, Sapphire are all good.

SSD is perhaps the most important component for every day use. They don't cost that much these days, so 128 GB or 256 GB SSD is a no-brainer.

Since you are getting an i3-6100 you could settle with a H110/H170/B150 series motherboard. H110 only has 2 dimm slots so I don't recommend those, but any H170/B150 board should be sufficient. It's up to you whether you want specific features, or get a more expensive Z170-board if you are planning on upgrading your CPU later on.

If gaming is what you're mostly concerned about, GPU is by far the most important component. Also, don't forget to get a quality power supply, that's not a component you want to skimp on.
Thank you!!

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
Your best bet is to fill out the questionnaire in the OP and post it here - we can recommend stuff based on that and explain the choices to you too if you like.
I did a bit ago but it got buried pretty quickly! I'll post it again! I think it was the questionnaire anyway!

"Uhh. So I'm wanting to build my first PC but I'm feeling super overwhelmed by pretty much everything. I don't know what many of these terms mean or what different components do or what I need. I'm fairly handy so I think I could put everything together with a youtube video or something, unless its not recommended for a first time builder? Could anyone help me figure out what to buy? Brands? Recommendations? Should I just follow the parts list from the OP?

I'll use the list from the OP as a guide:

1) Budget is probably 500-800 maybe? Preferably lower I guess due to me being in university. I'm Canadian. I also don't have anything to start with.
2) Main use would be largely be gaming. Along with some general usage, and maybe some emulation if i'm ambitious(?). Gaming doesn't need to be super high settings. I'd just like to get into PC gaming. Something that could play a game like Overwatch or dark souls smoothly I guess? Though I'm not sure if those are super intensive games or not for a entry PC.
3) General use is like school work and youtube/twitch/netflix.
4) Monitor resolution doesn't overly matter to me. 1080p 60fps is preferable I suppose. I'm not a big graphics/fps crazy guy, whatever works. 720/30fps always seemed fine to me but 1080/60 is always nicer. I'd upgrade it someday.
5) Specific games is probably Overwatch at the moment. other lesser important ones off of the top of my head are Dark souls, Counterstrike, TF, maaaaybe GTA5 if I could get away with it? And probably random RPGs. I feel like GTA5 is the most intensive of all those games? 30FPS is fine for me for most games. 60 is obviously a plus though. I don't know what PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA even are.
6) I'd like to have it built by like August (before school year starts)
7) I don't know what overclocking is so maybe (yes?)?
8) I'm scared of overheating because of my laptop having issues so that would be a place where I'd be willing to spend a bit more. Plus I wouldn't mind having a PC that's able to grow a bit when I upgrade."

OraleeWey

Two questions. Can anyone tell me the difference in these cases. It's the same description but one is 100 dollars more ??

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811139029

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA32J3BU0263

Also I'm going to be getting the 1080. Is it possible to sli my 770 with it and use
It just for the physics?

Regarding the first question, there's nothing different between those cases. The only difference is who is selling them. The cheaper one is being sold directly by Newegg. The more expensive on is being sold by a third party seller.

Second question. No not possible

LordAlu

I did a bit ago but it got buried pretty quickly! I'll post it again! I think it was the questionnaire anyway!

"Uhh. So I'm wanting to build my first PC but I'm feeling super overwhelmed by pretty much everything. I don't know what many of these terms mean or what different components do or what I need. I'm fairly handy so I think I could put everything together with a youtube video or something, unless its not recommended for a first time builder? Could anyone help me figure out what to buy? Brands? Recommendations? Should I just follow the parts list from the OP?

I'll use the list from the OP as a guide:

1) Budget is probably 500-800 maybe? Preferably lower I guess due to me being in university. I'm Canadian. I also don't have anything to start with.
2) Main use would be largely be gaming. Along with some general usage, and maybe some emulation if i'm ambitious(?). Gaming doesn't need to be super high settings. I'd just like to get into PC gaming. Something that could play a game like Overwatch or dark souls smoothly I guess? Though I'm not sure if those are super intensive games or not for a entry PC.
3) General use is like school work and youtube/twitch/netflix.
4) Monitor resolution doesn't overly matter to me. 1080p 60fps is preferable I suppose. I'm not a big graphics/fps crazy guy, whatever works. 720/30fps always seemed fine to me but 1080/60 is always nicer. I'd upgrade it someday.
5) Specific games is probably Overwatch at the moment. other lesser important ones off of the top of my head are Dark souls, Counterstrike, TF, maaaaybe GTA5 if I could get away with it? And probably random RPGs. I feel like GTA5 is the most intensive of all those games? 30FPS is fine for me for most games. 60 is obviously a plus though. I don't know what PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA even are.
6) I'd like to have it built by like August (before school year starts)
7) I don't know what overclocking is so maybe (yes?)?
8) I'm scared of overheating because of my laptop having issues so that would be a place where I'd be willing to spend a bit more. Plus I wouldn't mind having a PC that's able to grow a bit when I upgrade."
Something like this would be good:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($146.25 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($98.28 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.01 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.25 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($239.98 @ NCIX)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($46.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $726.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-11 14:55 EDT-0400

You'd have to pick up Windows from Reddit (or if you're at University they may even sell it to students dirt cheap). If you wanted to overclock later you could replace the board for a Z170 model (would cost extra mind) and the stock cooler will do fine so I've not incuded an aftermarket one.

DBT85

Anyone else going to be hovering around hoping to pick up a second 980ti cheap once people start selling them to get the latest and greatest?

Zeneric

Also I'm going to be getting the 1080. Is it possible to sli my 770 with it and use it just for the physics?

It's possible to use 770 as a dedicated Physx GPU and use 1080 for everything else. It's not a SLI configuration tho. You don't need to bridge two GPUs if you want to use one of two GPUs as a dedicated Physx GPU.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just sold my GTX 780 in anticipation of the 1080. This will be a gruelling wait.

I've got a GTX 780 Ti and I'm also considering the 1080. Gotta wait for some real benches before I make any decisions though. I plan to get the Pascal Titan regardless so I'll probably just wait it out if the 1080 isn't much faster than a Titan X.

Momentary

Banned
That's one damn nice looking case. Unfortunately way beyond what I'd ever plan on spending for a chassis haha.
Make sure to post pics once you're building!

As for high end enthusiast stuff, I really only know Jayz as well... the folks at overclock.net are super helpful though. Been debating on and off whether I should get a CPU AIO for the past weeks and they certainly helped as to which models I'm not going to buy :D

I'll take a post for myself on here and just update it with pics and other posts that link back to it. Cables should be in on the 27th.

scogoth

Anyone know any blu ray/DVD drives that are compatible with the EVGA Hadron?

EVGA used to sell one but it seems they don't anymore. It was a Panasonic UJ8C5 Slot Load drive. I can't seem to find anywhere with one in stock but hopefully with that part number you can hunt one down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom