• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ID must bring back Rage but make open world better

Rage 2 has better combat than modern Doom.

After so many open world games I'd rather have a return to Rage's tiny hub world. It was beautiful, it had amusing challenges and dad rock played every time you got into a fight. It was a pleasant experience. The world was not the problem. The problem was that half the fucking game was previous levels but backwards and it ends like someone pulled the plug. I never even used the BFG because I was saving it for a boss or a difficult encounter lmao

Apocryphon

They did, together with Avalanche.
Looking at the credits, the overwhelming majority of the staff were Avalanche. id Software advising, but since it wasn’t id Tech, none of the major work was done by id.

Rage was *fine*. Some cool animations and the megatexture tech was interesting for a short time, but it suffered from dull art direction and the level design was borderline awful. Combat encounters were pretty good, and the weapons and weapon modules were solid, something they built on on Doom 2016. The shotguns were weak but most of the roster was pretty good, particularly the Nailgun with the Rebar module from The Scorchers DLC. It just didn’t have that id Software feel and while I enjoyed my time with it… outside of the car combat… it isn’t a world I want to revisit any time soon, especially if it means passing on a Quake or Doom game.

Rage 2 was dogshit. Combat once you had levelled up a bunch was ok, but it was a janky, ugly, soulless game with a dreadful plot, dreadful enemies, and horrendous art direction. Doom 2016 was a better game in every way and I would rather id distances themselves from the Rage series altogether after Rage 2. The world is uninspired and outside of a complete reboot I don’t know where they would take it. Like Quake 4, the game is nowhere near the id Software pedigree. I’d take countless Doom sequels over tripe like Rage 2.

Tomorrow we will get the Quake 2 remaster and I’m praying for a Quake reboot announcement. I want Quake 1 gameplay and level design, Quake 3 Team Arena multiplayer, none of the bullshit bloat from Doom Eternal, a blend of Eldritch horror, and mainly medieval horror worlds, no fucking Strogg, and it needs to support modding. If it’s Machine Games leading it, that’s fine. Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine are both outstanding. Hire everybody involved with Arcane Dimensions and give them a suitable budget to make a current gen classic using id Tech. Easy fucking money.

Denton

I like both Rage games a lot.

Rage 1 has stunning artwork-like visual style that has never really been matched. Great atmosphere and fun gameplay. Probably my favourite id game, in fact.

Rage 2 has less unique visuals, but its gunplay and gameplay was fuck as fuck. Enjoyed it enouh to finish it and even do all the shitty sidecontent, which was rendered non-shitty due to sheer fun of tearing fools's asses.

Few of my shots from Rage 2, looking at them again makes me kinda wanna replay

rage2ba4jt2.png

baseprofilescreenshotm9j53.png

baseprofilescreenshotl0ks9.png

rage2d9xjfj.png

baseprofilescreenshott5js6.png

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
RAGE was id's growing pains as they moved into the world of AAA multiplatform focused development. It shows. They bit off more than they could chew, and they effectively cut the game in half... and never released the other half. The tech underneath it is actually insane - the virtualized texture work behind the mega textures would go on to be implemented in hardware for following console generations - and that the engine could achieve 60 FPS on the PS360 hardware is nothing short of witchcraft. But RAGE as a game is pretty lacking in comparison to id's prior work for me - but a chunk of that is owing to it literally being half the planned game. RAGE 2 was... not my cup of tea. I'm happy to see it left behind; there's nothing unique or special enough there to warrant resurrecting it for a second time given the luke-warm reception it got both times.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Looking at the credits, the overwhelming majority of the staff were Avalanche. id Software advising, but since it wasn’t id Tech, none of the major work was done by id.

Sure, so much is clear hence the bad quality of the game but i will never forget Tim Willits sitting there for so many interviews and telling me that this is an ID game at heart when it wasn't. And when you put your own logo underneath a game you better make sure it lives up to this standard.

Rage was *fine*. Some cool animations and the megatexture tech was interesting for a short time, but it suffered from dull art direction and the level design was borderline awful. Combat encounters were pretty good, and the weapons and weapon modules were solid, something they built on on Doom 2016. The shotguns were weak but most of the roster was pretty good, particularly the Nailgun with the Rebar module from The Scorchers DLC. It just didn’t have that id Software feel and while I enjoyed my time with it… outside of the car combat… it isn’t a world I want to revisit any time soon, especially if it means passing on a Quake or Doom game.

Yeah it wasn't IDs best game and many things could have been improved but i certainly loved it for it's bleak atmosphere and core art design.

Rage 2 was dogshit. Combat once you had levelled up a bunch was ok, but it was a janky, ugly, soulless game with a dreadful plot, dreadful enemies, and horrendous art direction. Doom 2016 was a better game in every way and I would rather id distances themselves from the Rage series altogether after Rage 2. The world is uninspired and outside of a complete reboot I don’t know where they would take it. Like Quake 4, the game is nowhere near the id Software pedigree. I’d take countless Doom sequels over tripe like Rage 2.

Tomorrow we will get the Quake 2 remaster and I’m praying for a Quake reboot announcement. I want Quake 1 gameplay and level design, Quake 3 Team Arena multiplayer, none of the bullshit bloat from Doom Eternal, a blend of Eldritch horror, and mainly medieval horror worlds, no fucking Strogg, and it needs to support modding. If it’s Machine Games leading it, that’s fine. Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine are both outstanding. Hire everybody involved with Arcane Dimensions and give them a suitable budget to make a current gen classic using id Tech. Easy fucking money.

We speak exactly the same language here.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Rage 2 had really good gunplay, but pretty much nothing else.

If anything Rage just needs a really good director to sort it out.

My only issue if I can even call it that, is Rage would need some hook to be successful.
An open world FPS would just be a FarCry clone unless they can figure out a way to make it interesting enough to pull players in.

Neolombax

Yea they should. Played Rage 2 a few months back when it was available on PS Plus Extra. Its a fun game but I can see why people think its terrible. The open world was big but empty, had nothing really interesting to do or explore, there was no real payoff. Rage 1 was the better game I think.

Loved both RAGE games, part 2 was so much fun and had the best explosions ever seen in a game. But I guess the RAGE 2 team are busy with Contraband and id busy with Quake or Doom :(

winjer

Gold Member
I had some good fun with Rage 1. Despite it's technical limitations, it was a good game. And I finished it a couple of times.
But Rage 2 was pretty bad. The combat was decent, but the empty open world was terrible. And characters, writing and voice acting was terrible.
I gave up on it after 3-4 hours. And it seems that id also gave up on the series after Rage 2.

Ben87fr

Ah yes make an open world again with a thousand icons on the map, Rage 2 was shit, just make a good game with great levels with secrets like the good old days, stop it with the open world shit đź‘Ť

BlueLyria

Open world was one of the biggest issues with Rage 2, besides it being a terrible game anyway.
Rage 1 was better, and the best part were the more linear stages.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Rage 2’s combat was awesome. Solid gunplay and surprisingly fun abilities.

Open world gets harped on, but how many good open worlds are there in shooters? Not many.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Nah, I want to see the gameplay of Doom Eternal iterated on by them. It was basically an action heavy linear Metroid the way t was all about finding interesting ways to traverse th environment and murder lots of stuff in the process.

Wildebeest

Rage 2 was fine. Gameplay was better than the first one. But every time a character opened their mouth and started to talk, it was a disaster. If story and characters are all someone cares about in games, then I could see why they would hate it.

Rage 1 has stunning artwork-like visual style that has never really been matched. Great atmosphere and fun gameplay. Probably my favourite id game, in fact.

Rage 2 has less unique visuals, but its gunplay and gameplay was fuck as fuck. Enjoyed it enouh to finish it and even do all the shitty sidecontent, which was rendered non-shitty due to sheer fun of tearing fools's asses.

rage2ba4jt2.png

rage2d9xjfj.png

That actually looks pretty cool. I just got very turned off by the Fortnite neon pink haired characters that they added to the world.

The first game was so sick because it was cartoony while also being gritty.

But maybe this game could be cool if I can disable certain HUD elements or even just turn it off completely.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

rage2ba4jt2.png

rage2d9xjfj.png

Couldnt have said it better myself. I fuckin loved RAGE and still do. Again, another benefit of Xbox BC which also does a solid job of eliminating a lot of the notorious texture pop in. The game just released at an awful time. Fall 2011 going up against the likes of Skyrim, Dark Souls, Uncharted 3 etc. Still one of the best shotguns ever and the death animations (particularly when wingsticking a mf'er in the face) hold up stunningly still.

I remember picking up RAGE 2 day one and it not clicking with me at the time for whatever reason. Years later during quarantine I reinstalled it and had a fucking blast. It was baffling to me why I shrugged it off before. Sure the story is lame-o but all that I care about in these games is shooting shit and getting around and making myself more powerful which this game nailed. Even the progression system was different and cool and the power ups eventually made you a god. The quallity death animations are there, as well as a badass shotty. The Id is there. It just sucks it isnt appreciated a little more. This series just seemed so damned from the start.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
They should bring Rage back but not open world. Make it like Doom or at the very least keep it open ended like say a deus ex game. Fuck off with endless mass of empy lands in shooters. Waste of good gameplay.

Top Bottom