• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ID must bring back Rage but make open world better

Drizzlehell

Banned
I unironically love those games. I played through Rage 1 about five or six times, and I bought Rage 2 for three different platforms.

In my opinion, it's a game that perfectly encapsulates the spirit of id Software - it has a very basic but cool premise to give some context for the action, but the main plot is perfunctory at best, and that's totally fine. Because the real meat of the game is running around and blasting things and enjoying the levels, the secrets, the atmosphere, and so on. And in that regard, I think Rage is a great game. Both of them are incredibly fun to play.

I think that the first game in particular simply crumbled under the weight of expectations for the company itself, and how this was their latest creation that failed to be yet another trendsetter for the industry like all their previous games were. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't good for what it was.

MiguelItUp

Looking at the credits, the overwhelming majority of the staff were Avalanche. id Software advising, but since it wasn’t id Tech, none of the major work was done by id.

Rage was *fine*. Some cool animations and the megatexture tech was interesting for a short time, but it suffered from dull art direction and the level design was borderline awful. Combat encounters were pretty good, and the weapons and weapon modules were solid, something they built on on Doom 2016. The shotguns were weak but most of the roster was pretty good, particularly the Nailgun with the Rebar module from The Scorchers DLC. It just didn’t have that id Software feel and while I enjoyed my time with it… outside of the car combat… it isn’t a world I want to revisit any time soon, especially if it means passing on a Quake or Doom game.

Rage 2 was dogshit. Combat once you had levelled up a bunch was ok, but it was a janky, ugly, soulless game with a dreadful plot, dreadful enemies, and horrendous art direction. Doom 2016 was a better game in every way and I would rather id distances themselves from the Rage series altogether after Rage 2. The world is uninspired and outside of a complete reboot I don’t know where they would take it. Like Quake 4, the game is nowhere near the id Software pedigree. I’d take countless Doom sequels over tripe like Rage 2.

Tomorrow we will get the Quake 2 remaster and I’m praying for a Quake reboot announcement. I want Quake 1 gameplay and level design, Quake 3 Team Arena multiplayer, none of the bullshit bloat from Doom Eternal, a blend of Eldritch horror, and mainly medieval horror worlds, no fucking Strogg, and it needs to support modding. If it’s Machine Games leading it, that’s fine. Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine are both outstanding. Hire everybody involved with Arcane Dimensions and give them a suitable budget to make a current gen classic using id Tech. Easy fucking money.
Yeaaaaah, I couldn't get into Rage 2 at all, its combat felt SO incredibly weak to me compared to the first Rage. I played it for about an hour, put it down, and never returned. I knew that id was still attached to it, but also realized it was more so Avalanche than id. I felt like the gameplay alone was pretty telling in that regard.

While I love the Strogg, I do think it would be really cool to see a return to the Q1 aesthetic and vibe.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
First game sucked giga nuts.

I remember when cringe lord Adam sessler hugged the lead dev of this game live on camera because he fooled him to think the AI was going to be so smart. When really it just had 2 extra animations on how it entered the room lmao.

I didn’t hear a peep about number 2. I would try it on gamepass if it isn’t total shit.

AndrewRyan

Love both these games. Always wished they make a little spin-off game out of the Carnival Of Carnage - fun mini-game but it needed to get progressively harder.

Rage 2 nod to Rage
PTnhRd1.jpg

TheUsual

Gold Member
I just remember sites got up in rags about a character with a cleft lip or something in Rage 2. Tried to make it the worst thing in the world...like how dare a game show this.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I just remember sites got up in rags about a character with a cleft lip or something in Rage 2. Tried to make it the worst thing in the world...like how dare a game show this.

It was some jacked up mutant beast, the farthest thing from a human, and people still cried about how offensive it was to people with fucked up faces :messenger_grinning_squinting:

leonardo23

Neo Member
I have faith that john carmack will bring rage in the future again with some new features. Rage 1 was about enemies that have no patterns iirc.

Vox Machina

Banned
I feel like even an indie dev would make a better game than 343i at this point. It feels the only talented ppl somehow managed to get put on MCC duty, because that game gets new content and modes to this day while 343 managed to kill halo in 3 games.

The talented person that was on MCC duty is now head of the studio soooooo

CuNi

The talented person that was on MCC duty is now head of the studio soooooo

Huh, would you look at that.
I didn't know. Gives me hope for the next game then.
I'll buy it anyway since I'm a sucker for all things Halo, but if it sucks, oh boy will this forum suffer from me taking up any chances to roast that studio over and over....
Kinda like now with Infinite.

Mr Hyde

Never did a reach around on this franchise. Is the PC version in good shape? I mean this game is a couple of years old. I saw it on Steam for like 3 bucks.

SkylineRKR

Rage 1 was excellent but ended on a whimper. I remember saving all my big firepower for... nothing. I expected some huge boss fight.

It wasn't really open world, but hubs connected by roads. The gunplay was fucking perfect, as were the enemy reactions and I liked their AI in general. The ammo types were cool too and there was a bit of a RPG side to this game. I even liked the racing (as long as you don't collide), I beat them all. When Rage came out its reception was kinda lukewarm, I bought it a few months later for like 20 bucks and was surprised at how good it actually was.

It seems Rage did get some more recognition over the years.

CamHostage

Weird, I so rarely see Rage appreciation champions, I kind of thought they didn't exist...

The Rage series is on my someday-play list that I'll probably never get around to, so I don't have a great opinion either way... but I'd be down to see Id go outside again. (I know the second game was by Avalanche and not even on ID Tech, so I don't even know what to do with that one as it feels like a tribute rather than a sequel even though I like its sense of intensity and garish style; the tech and the home studio are what really compel me to keep Rage 1 in mind, so I'd personally prefer for it either to go back to Id or for Id to mentor a brand new studio on a third Rage.) If Rage never came back for a third game, though, I can't say I'd be surprised. It feels like a very time-and-place franchise in the history of Id and there would have to be a compelling reason to come back again.

violence

Rage was great.. I'm thinking it's DOOM from here on out. It just takes too long to make games and they have too many IPs for them to be able to exploit.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This place is on a roll with causing me to resintall underappreciated classics. First it was Order1886 and now both RAGEs. Nice work.

M.W.

I'm actually playing Rage right now on Steam. I never finished it on 360 back in the day. It's still so good.

Apocryphon

Rage was great.. I'm thinking it's DOOM from here on out. It just takes to long to make games and they have too many IPs for them to be able to exploit.
id should do the tech and Doom.

Raven should get the opportunity to do HeXen.

Machine Games should do Wolfenstein and Quake.

Rage should be binned for now.

Top Bottom